99 Item Pass It On Tournament Reboot: Planning Stages

Brak

Aug 19, 2006
Boris the Barbarian was having nightmares again. He’d hear screams summoning him from his sleep and emerge from his hut to find the Rogue Camp ablaze. This nightmare was similar, but at the same time felt different. The fog of sleep as he walked naked and barefoot through the encampment quickly cleared. The smell of burning wood and straw was more acrid. It scalded his throat and had a rich undertone. Some would think this a dinner roast gone over, but Boris recognized the smell of burning flesh too well. There were other peculiarities in this dream. Dekard Cain was missing for one. And that gaudy chest was back. “Oh no … not again.”

Akara was the first to find him through the smoke and drizzle, but this time around he was immediately recognized by the priestess. “I’ve summoned you just in time” she yelled. “Quick take the key and help us!” He sprung into action grabbing a huge mace out of the pile of items. He had no time to bother with armor, and he was probably too weak from 11 years of retirement to wield most of it anyway. It took all of his effort just to lift this mace. But the invaders were a puny force of Zombies and Fallen. Even being out of shape, this was just a warm up exercise for Boris. In fact he channeled his anger while Bashing the heads off of zombies “I’m supposed to go ICE fishing with my NEPHew”, emphasizing syllables has he swung his mace.

After all was said and done, he knew the drill. Akara would give him the usual speech, he could use the items provided by them, but then be stripped naked and given new equipment as he chased after the prime evils from one doomed land to another, eventually returning to his ravished homeland. But he wasn’t listening. Was he ready to go through this again? Could his old body even handle it? I guess he would find out soon enough.

Skunkbelly’s Ultimate Tournament Challenge is being rebooted! This was one of my favorite experiences on this forum. The gist is at the start of the tournament you will be given a 99 item ATMA stash. You may use ONLY these equippable items throughout the tournament in addition to Quest Items (during their Act) and Quest Rewards (permanently). You may manipulate your stash items in any way you see fit, and you can collect all socketables, charms and potions in an accessible extended stash. On top of this, you will be given a new character each act. Your starting class will be determined at random and you will be passed a character from another player, while you pass the character you were playing on to someone else as well. If a character dies, the character and player are removed from the tournament.

What you need to know:
This will likely require an extended time commitment. Due to most forumites being on the busy side, we will plan for 2 weeks per act. So if you make Guardian in this tournament, that could mean a 30 week commitment. Also make sure you would have time to complete an Act (not full clear, but full Quest) in roughly 2 weeks. Sure we can make exceptions here and there, but if you will frequently need 4 weeks to do an act that will be a problem.

What we need to know:

-How many people are playing?
I would like to have at least 7 players (14 or more would be better) to kick this off, so please state you interest and availability. We plan to run this either starting in the fall, or may wait until after the new year depending on everyone’s schedules.

-What versions are you (can you) play?
With 1.14 coming out recently the active forum is currently a bit split on which patch is being played. Please list what version(s) you would prefer to play and which you would be willing (able) to play. We’ve already talked to Thyiad and we’ve got the go ahead to run this, but only within a single patch so we will choose the version that accommodates the most people.

-Can you donate some gear towards the stashes?
Pb_pal and I would both like to keep this a HC tournament. Unfortunately neither of us play a lot of HC outside of tourney characters, thus our wealth is rather limited. We would definitely need contributions for this to run in HC. Remember not all of the gear needs to be godly as we will need to equip this stuff from the start. Some idea of what we would need:
)Low level items like Sets, Uniques, Socketables even white items and blue and yellows.
)Higher ilvl Blue items that may themselves be a bit useful or used for crafting
)A handful of reasonable ED elite weapons in case melee character make it to hell
)Some exceptional/elite whites/socketables for later game runewords
)2 elite uniques per stash
Again gear doesn’t have to all be amazing or this wouldn't be a Challenge after all.

I will be playing for sure. I'm 1.13d right now, but would probably be willing to upgrade to 1.14 if I had to for this tournament.

I feel like I could make a return to D2 for this. Loved SB's original very much.

Do we keep all of the 99 items, or do they go with the character when we send them?

I think I'm currently in 1.13c, but I could do whatever version I'm sure.

I also don't have much HC stuff, but anything I have I'll donate to the cause.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You keep your 99 items. characters are sent on completely naked, empty stash (except for the Cube, I believe), and with an empty bank account. Those 99 items (along with smaller items such as gems//runes that you find along the way) are all you've got to use with any character you receive.

I feel like I could make a return to D2 for this. Loved SB's original very much.

Do we keep all of the 99 items, or do they go with the character when we send them?

I think I'm currently in 1.13c, but I could do whatever version I'm sure.

I also don't have much HC stuff, but anything I have I'll donate to the cause.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
You will definitely keep your 99 item stash, so your character planning will be what best suits your armory.

Previously you could stockpile all of your charms and socketables, but we may make some small tweaks to that formula.

Not sure if I can commit to joining, but I'll donate what I can. (1.14 here)

I'll be joining as well. I play 1.14, but can play whichever version. I can help with item donations for either 1.13d or 1.14 (laptop has my old files) as long as I know which version we'll go with to allow a week or so of farming.

I will not join, but should be able to donate some items, as I've had an extensive period of HC before returning to SC.

If we run this in 1.14, I highly suggest that those running 1.13 versions create a separate installation directory specifically for this tournament if you want to continue to play 1.13 later on. 1.14 moves your characters' save files to your users folder and I don't believe either version switcher supports 1.14. Just a heads up.

I did a fresh install in a 2nd directory in order to bring over my 1.13 characters from my laptop. Will be running one of my HC characters that I deleted in 1.14 to start farming for items in 1.13d. Can always move them forward anyhow.

I'm still super busy with university, hence why my cyber tourney character is still sitting in act 2.

Committing to an act every 2 weeks isnt bad though, even over exams i am sure i could manage that. I'm in.

I play 1.14 and I have a small HC stash that is available for use.

I read the thread for the original tourney a while back and thought it sounded fun. I haven't played HC, but I had been thinking about starting a couple HC characters. This might provide motivation to actually do it so I build up an ante. I wouldn't be able to participate until beginning of November though, and starting in the new year would work better for me.

I play 1.13d, but I could upgrade to 1.14 for this. If that ends up being the preference, I'd appreciate it if someone with technical expertise could explain how to create a separate directory, as Vildecor suggests. I could probably figure it out, but it would be helpful if someone could explain it for dummies.

Thanks for all the offers of donations guys, even those not interested in playing, that's awesome of you!

Just gonna make a table

Code:
Forumite          Version           Dates
Brak              1.13>1.14         New Year ideal
Pb_pal            1.13>1.14
kestegs           1.13>1.14
Nanomist*         1.14
Vildecor          1.14>1.13
Malevolent        1.14
PhineasB          1.13>1.14         November earlist

Code:
Forumite          Version           Dates
Brak              1.13>1.14         New Year ideal
Pb_pal            1.13>1.14
kestegs           1.13>1.14
Nanomist*         1.14
Vildecor          1.14>1.13
Malevolent        1.14
PhineasB          1.13>1.14         November earliest
Franklin          Whatever          Whenever

I'm gonna have to back out on this. Didn't plan on going back to World of Warcraft, but friends/family convinced me to give the new expansion a try. I should still have some stuff to donate if you need it.

Updating the table
Code:
Forumite           Version           Dates
Brak               1.13>1.14         New Year ideal
Pb_pal             1.13>1.14
kestegs            1.13>1.14
Nanomist*          1.14
DiablDiabloTwoinDC 1.13>1.14
Malevolent         1.14
PhineasB           1.13>1.14         November earliest
Franklin           Whatever          Whenever

I'm hoping to start collecting gear for stashes in October and then get running some time in November just FYI

Realized I never put my time frame in here. Also, anyone got any advice for this?

I play 1.13d, but I could upgrade to 1.14 for this. If that ends up being the preference, I'd appreciate it if someone with technical expertise could explain how to create a separate directory, as Vildecor suggests. I could probably figure it out, but it would be helpful if someone could explain it for dummies.

Would be helpful, and maybe draw some lingerers in.

Code:
Forumite           Version           Dates
Brak               1.13>1.14         New Year ideal
Pb_pal             1.13>1.14         Anytime, but New Year preferable
kestegs            1.13>1.14
Nanomist*          1.14
DiablDiabloTwoinDC 1.13>1.14
Malevolent         1.14
PhineasB           1.13>1.14         November earliest
Franklin           Whatever          Whenever

I know this probably isn't the best way, but here is what I did:

1. Installed from disc (didn't update)
2. Copied entire d2 directory into new folders (/d2 1.09, /d2 1.13 etc)
3. Ran upgrade on each directory to whatever version.

Just an update on start time
I've gotten a lot of things added to my plate this fall/winter, so I'm not thinking that I will be able to get this started before new year. Let us know if this might change your status.

Talking with family today, we are going to be in the middle of nowhere over Christmas, so no power. Wouldn't be able to play unless it started in the new year.

PurePremium
Estimated market value
Low
High