2023 Spring RFL Sign-Up and Running Thread: Round 1 (Areas)

Please state whether you are running v1.07, v1.13/1.14 or D2R.
-------------------------
PhineasB (v1.14)
LouB (vD2R)
Kruemelmonschda (vD2R)
Excalibur (D2R)
Jpy (D2R)
CaseyJones(D2R)
Gregth(D2R)
Swamigoon(1.14)
little birdy (D2R [on console if that makes any difference!])
maxicek (D2R)
BBS_Agonistes (D2R)
Kstil3227 (D2R)
ffs (D2R)
Silvio415 (v1.14)
Nano (D2R)
ziambe (1.07)
m4ke (D2R)
------------------------

Let's try to do a full 20 hrs this year =)

m4ke

Reactions: PhineasB
Round 1 is about to start! Good luck, all, and have fun. Looking forward to seeing a big collection of nice shiny rocks in a few weeks!

Please state whether you are running v1.07, v1.13/1.14 or D2R.
-------------------------
PhineasB (v1.14)
LouB (vD2R)
Kruemelmonschda (vD2R)
Excalibur (D2R)
Jpy (D2R)
CaseyJones(D2R)
Gregth(D2R)
Swamigoon(1.14)
little birdy (D2R [on console if that makes any difference!])
maxicek (D2R)
BBS_Agonistes (D2R)
Kstil3227 (D2R)
ffs (D2R)
Silvio415 (v1.14)
Nano (D2R)
ziambe (1.07)
m4ke (D2R)
Gynli (D2R)
------------------------

last minute signup. :)
Joining with the lvl 95 blizz sorc I put on hold last year.
Will start my timer after I enable TZ.

GL HF everyone! Hype hype. :) I might get a few runs in tomorrow (Friday), but will then be out of town until Wednesday... :/ already looking forward to next week and starting properly!

My plan at this point:
  • Running my freshly Guardian'ed Mosaic Sin for all targets, period. Crazy strong and fun build.
  • TZs whenever zone has good density
  • Otherwise, i.e. main activity: Probably a multi-area run consisting of Arcane Sanctuary, Travincal and finishing iwth either the Pit or Chaos Sanctuary (would like to start runs in A1 or A4 which have resaonable loading times and WP close by).
Gogogo!

Last minute question @PhineasB

If im feeling frisky, can i sign up for two versions? (1.07 and 1.14d)
No problem in my book to do a set in v1.07 and a set in v1.14. Someone has done that before, although I can't remember who. I think mixing versions in the same set would be odd, but maybe not that much different than running different characters on different targets within the 20 hours? So my take is as long as it's only 20 hours in set, if you mix versions, have it.

Reactions: ziambe
Farmed for an hour at Terrorized Ancient's Way and Icy Cellar and woah! Did they add more evil Urns? Icy Cellar was such a nice spot. If I recall correclty it had 5 boss backs and at least 2 Evil Urns. Within the first hour managed to get my first qualifier. Too bad I had a Ber drop few hours before the Tournament otherwise would have a great lead I believe!

@Excalibur Ancient's way is one of my favorite TZs, the dual urns in the Icy Cellar are not automatic. It can be one or none, though 2 seems to be the most common. There are usually 2 or 3 urns in the Ancient's way. Only got to run it once last night and had PI Hell Mistresses and Frenzytaurs as the most common monsters in the cellar. Bone breaker was a big help. Unfortunately, no runes for me.

Also got to run TZ Travincal for about 45 minutes. Ran it on /p3 to make it faster. I didn't count the number of runs or the number of runes that dropped, but it felt like half the runs resulted in runes. Unfortunately, the highest that dropped for me was a Ko.

I'm starting in the AS as I need keys anyway. I will add in interesting TZs and may move to the CS when I have enough keys.

Do people generally run all branches or certain ones? The Summoner is at the end of the straight ones, which seems to be the best to avoid ghosts over empty space. Teleporters seems the worst to me.

@Excalibur which Scourge?

I'm starting in the AS as I need keys anyway. I will add in interesting TZs and may move to the CS when I have enough keys.

Do people generally run all branches or certain ones? The Summoner is at the end of the straight ones, which seems to be the best to avoid ghosts over empty space. Teleporters seems the worst to me.

Horizon's Tornado of course! :D And it was eth!

I think people generally have run one arm because so much extra teleporting to go back, but that was v1.14. With longer load times, it is probably wroth doing the straight and slightly straight arm. I think the maze one and teleport pads would be difficult to keep ghosts over land. Good luck!

Reactions: maxicek

I tested a few paths and picked the one that seemed most dense with superchests at the end and no portals. I just run that one path. I’m not interested in keys and my loading times are good, though.

Reactions: maxicek
I started with 2x AS branches to include the Summoner and to reduce the effect of D2R loading times, but now firmly settled for straight branch AS only.

My run for this first round is AS (straight branch only) => Travincal => CS two seal runs (+ finger mages + boss packs). I'd say ideal for that would be a good Travincal map, Vizier fork layout with frequent extra packs, and Summoner at the straight AS branch. For RFL purposes Summoner doesn't matter of course, just in terms of saving time long-term in case I want to farm more torches in the future. But I'm too lazy to reroll :) and Trav/CS maps are good on my character.

For Trav, I went with a typical DPS WW build: 2x Grief, Enigma, GFace 'Cham', Highlords, LoH, Arach, Gores, FCR/leech + AR/leech/Res rings. Merc: Reapers, Kiras, GA, all with ias jewels. Enough vitality for 2500 life, with the remainder going into strength.

Initially, I wanted to test the difference between running through A3 docks and returning to A4. I timed 5 runs of each, going through all the motions except for any fighting. Even with decent load times, running through A3 docks was on average about 1 second faster. But this is with a Barb; I'd imagine a slower running character like the Sorc should still teleport back to A4 if load times are fast enough.

Only a few hours in, while averaging 34 second runs with 74% FI. Slower than a 1.14 counterpart, however, the additional FI should somewhat mitigate the D2R load penalty. The extra FI contributes to item clutter, but the auto gold pickup feature is really helpful in this regard. I haven't had a Trav TZ yet when I was able to play, but I'm looking forward to putting a few hours there. I believe the zealot behavior changes back to aggressive during TZ, so I will see if that becomes an annoying issue or if it doesn't happen often.

Reactions: PhineasB and ffs
@Nano Yes the Zealots are aggressive in TZ as are the council themselves. There can be a mob of them between the two pools, which can become a real scrum since the council will come and join the fight. Running with Enigma will help avoid that, but the Zealots will come onto the stairs too. For me that's the exception and there are normally no or just a few zealots and vampires that are around the council steps.

Last minute change of plans: I am going to focus on my HC characters during this round, as I would really like to build up my rune stash on the HC side of things. Only one hour under my belt so far. I am setting my expectations very low so even just one qualifier would feel like a victory to me :ROFLMAO:

Diablo 4 Interactive Map
PurePremium
Estimated market value
Low
High