[2018] Tournament: Set/Unique Worshippers 2017 [by jiansonz]

Kitteh said:
If you click thread tools (I think it is), it should be there instead of 'edit'.
The only thing that happens if I click 'Thread tools' is that a little fold-out meny opens, and the only option available to me there is 'Add poll'.

To clarify the speculations: If you don't enter an area, you can return to it later and clear it out. Just keep track of the ones you haven't done. (It can even be applied to part of an area, if it's easy to know where you haven't been (for example, quarters in the Arcane Sanctuary.))

The single pass rule has never been a strict "Do not re-enter this area" or attempt to restrict/punish players. It's more to reduce undesired benefits over other players, or to keep it like Diablo 1 single player, where monsters don't respawn (personal preference for some.)
There are two benefits you can get by re-running areas: Experience and Loot.

Experience: Run through the area as best as you can without overlapping kills in the same area. S&E to avoid death is usually accepted in this case, as you're trying to ignore all monsters. If you must kill something, the experience from that area on /players1 is almost nothing compared to what you gained when first clearing the area on /players8, so if you do run through an area again, /players1 to avoid any noticable gain of accidental/forced kills.
If it's somewhere you've just cleared in the previous game, or in NM/Hell where your /players setting might be low, avoid killing as much as you can, and S&E if needed, but don't deeds over it. It's not intended as a punishment rule, and a couple of incidental kills won't change the game too much.

Loot: You have to kill an enemy, or misclick on a chest, and out pops a Gull dagger or HR. Mule it off, but it's not for this character. Unlucky(?). :)

"This place is eerie.”
"Hah, this maiden shall inflict no more anguish."

Sigh. Number of Sets and Uniques found in Act 1: 1 (Horodric Malus* - Don't worry, I won't include these in the future) I'm guessing my next Unique found will be the Book Radament Drops.

Poison potions did great, fire potions not so much. All throwing weapons now depleted, my Eth Spear gone, and just relying on the poison bow. I do have an Eth Bardiche lined up for the dersert mercenaries though.

*Second guessing myself now: Is the Key to the Cairnstone a gold/unique item?

Goldilocks, Level 20 Amazon, Lut Gholein, Sets/Uniques Found: 0
Screenshot002 (3).jpg

Barbarian Jathnolf, level 32, Pandemonium Fortress

Made it to Act IV. I didn't find any more uniques but I picked up a few set items, including Hsarus' Iron Heel horked from Sszark the Burning. Because of the AR boost from having 2 of Hsarus' set I could fire my weaponless Blessed Aim mercenary and hire a lightning Iron Wolf. I can tank well enough myself, and having a merc that actually does some damage has made clearing areas a lot faster.

In the pics you'll see Jathnolf wearing Milabrega's Orb on his arm. I actually had Sigon's Guard as well but I preferred the MF from the Orb. Now though I've swapped them. I found a second Berserker's Headgear which I might wear in Nightmare for the extra Fire Resist; right now I'm already at 75% though.

Weapon 1: Axe of Fechmar
Weapon 2: Crushflange
Shield 2: Sigon's Guard
Body: Cathan's Mesh
Belt: Hsarus' Iron Stay
Gloves: Iratha's Cuff
Boots: Hsarus' Iron Heel
Ring 1: crappy Ormus ring
Ring 2: Cathan's Seal
Amulet: empty

Skills: Find Item 4, Battle Orders 9, War Cry 3, Natural Resistance 2, Berserk 1, Leap/Attack 1, other prereqs

STR - 90/117
DEX - 20
VIT - 125
NRG - 10

Merc: Iron Wolf Devak - Lightning
Berserker's Headgear
Splint Mail socketed with Topazes
ordinary kite shield

Digging around in Sszark's guts.png
Nice charm.png
Mephisto fight.png

Durbane has just killed Duriel. He is at level 23 and has found only 3 S/U items: Fechmar, Cathan's Mesh and Sandar's Riprap. He is using a long bow with emeralds. He has found a few charms that are almos useless. If he holds on to Fechmar he has +50 cold resist, but other than that his resists are 7 in lightning and 20 in poison due to charms. He used players 1 on Duriel but has been at p8 othewise. I hope I do not find two more S/U weapons because the long bow with +51 poison damage is decent.

OK, it is time to head toward Kurast.

Jiansonz - Slow down a little. Since we're both Amazons, I'm trying to catch up to you, and we can see how items cause diversions in our builds more easily.

I got one! Civerb's Amulet in Radament's Lair.
Goldilocks has been slugging away, more so a mercenary than her mercenary. Goldilocks prods something, kicks open jars, runs in circles, absorbs damage, and doesn't dish out much. Almost all her kills are from Azrael. All areas, caves and dungeons have been cleared, and all super uniques have been slain.
Screenshot001 (3).jpg
Goldilocks & Azrael, Level 25 Amazon, Valley of Snakes/Ancient Tunnels, Sets/Uniques Found: 1

Three parter:

Part One:
@jiansonz - Oh damn you. Part way through, I realised we can't even socket Diamonds into shields. That hurts!

Part Two:
Azrael decided their agreement wasn't fair. Azrael hired Goldilocks to stand back, kick urns, open chests, and cast Inner Sight, just like any Amazonian Rogue hireling should do. That's all Goldilocks was good for, as her damage... Well, she could kill one Skeleton Mage, while Azrael himself could take down a horde of Blundabores, with just an Ethereal Bardiche.

Fangskin: Azrael and his mercenary, Goldilocks, unleashed Fangskin's chain on his minions. They ran out slightly, then up the stairs, out slightly, up the stairs, until Fangskin alone was lured. His minions followed, but more sparsely than had they rushed forward. It was an easy fight.
Screenshot006 (4).jpg

Part Three:
Well, this changed. Set/Unique #2: Goreshovel
Then a Tal Rune: Poison is Green, so surely we could socket a Tal Rune into a Shield for Green... I mean, Poison, Resist?
And, while typing that up (see screenies,) a Cathan's Mesh drops for Azrael, the newly demoted Mercenary.
Screenshot007 (2).jpg
Screenshot008 (3).jpg
Screenshot011 (3).jpg
Screenshot012 (3).jpg
Azrael & Goldilocks, Level 26 Desert Warrior, The Palace Cellar, Sets/Uniques Found: 1

Goldilocks & Azrael, Level 26 Amazon, Arcane Sanctuary 1/4, Sets/Uniques Found: 3

@Drystan nice, I found Goreshovel today too. Yours is better than mine, I only got 40% ed. I'm pretty happy with it as combined with Concentrate it upped my damage output a lot. Killing mobs doesn't feel nearly as grindy as before. It'll probably hold good for the rest of Act V and early NM.

Hephaesto drop:

Diablo dies:

I just finished off Shenk and grabbed the waypoint after. Barbarian Jathnolf, level 36, Frigid Highlands

My Druid 'KulKanta' got on fine for the most part on p8. Had plenty of chipped emerald and topaz drops which allowed me to socket my armor and helm for MF! Also had 5 or 6 fcr rings drop so i'm loaded!

Had no green or gold drops until The Smith kindly dropped this:

1stdrop.png

Not long after, i managed to pick these bad boys up in the catacombs:
2nddrop.png

Then, this dropped shortly after, killing most of my MF:
3rdfindy.png

So 3 drops total.

Andarial dropped all rares but a nice juicy Emerald to make up for it:

Untitled.png

Made it to Act II level 20. Hopefully it ain't too bad!

Charlo said:
My Druid 'KulKanta' got on fine for the most part on p8. Had plenty of chipped emerald and topaz drops which allowed me to socket my armor and helm for MF! Also had 5 or 6 fcr rings drop so i'm loaded!

Had no green or gold drops until The Smith kindly dropped this:
View attachment 7924

Not long after, i managed to pick these bad boys up in the catacombs:
View attachment 7923

Then, this dropped shortly after, killing most of my MF:
View attachment 7925

So 3 drops total.

Andarial dropped all rares but a nice juicy Emerald to make up for it:

View attachment 7926

Made it to Act II level 20. Hopefully it ain't too bad!
Some nice finds so far for a melee build!

I'm annoyed, due to a weird issue, screenshots I thought I had taken, were never created. This has affected Habacalva, my character for this tournament as well as Hestia, my character for the TC3 tournament. Luckily I still have read outs, but I can't be sure how many screenshots I'm missing...:mad:

Of the three merc options I mentioned in my last update, I went with 'Act I merc with Vidala's Barb'.
I figured I have two good tanks already, and I thought the archer would have the best combo of damage output and capability of staying out of trouble. And as long as I made sure my Valkyrie dealt poison damage, progress wasn't unbearably slow.

Spawners in two of the areas; I had to be tactical to win against them. Most important was to cast Decoy on the 'away' side of the closest spawner, so Wendy would eventually get a clear shot at the spawner when the pups gathered around the Decoy and Valkyrie.

On Plains of Despair, I received a great gift: Crushflange. Yay, the Diablo fight suddenly got significantly shorter! Also found my 3rd Cathan's Mesh there.

I had saved quite a number of stat points, but it felt safest to put them all in Vitality before the Diablo fight. Well over 500 life, that felt good. Decoy and Valkyrie both maxed for my clvl (12 and 6, respectively).
Fire resist 85%, lightning about 40%. Bad blocking (Cleglaw's Claw) - IIRC 11%.

I took him on at /players 3. I made sure to run around him and drink every time he "hosed" me. The other attacks only had me watching the HP.

Viri09, Diablo.jpg

Diablo completely ignored the Decoy. He focused on Viri if both she and the Valkyrie meleed him. If only the Valkyrie was next to him, he attacked only her. That felt like a safer way to fight near the end. The Valkyrie could survive at least one full attack, no matter what it was. So I swapped to Leadcrow and kept recasting the Valkyrie on the side away from me and Wendy:

Viri10, Diablo again.jpg

See those four Bone Prison remains? I think he trapped me six times during the fight, but always when he was occupied by a Valkyrie, and those prisons fell faster to Crushflange (and Cathan's 15-20 fire damage - I had borrowed the helm from Wendy) than I had expected. So there was never any risk of taking a full hose in the face.

His drop was excellent, with two uniques: Lance of Yaggai and Bloodletter. VERY nice! Now I have a weapon that will 1.) let me eventually be a lightning Spearazon (it's even a fast weapon with some lightning damage already built in) and 2.) will work well enough in the hands of another Prayer merc so we can reach far enough into the Frigid Highlands, where the other (über) weapon will take over.

I do not think I've ever been this motivated to save the barbarians on the Highlands!

Viridissima the undecided Amazon, level 35, Harrogath

ioupainmax said:
I'm annoyed, due to a weird issue, screenshots I thought I had taken, were never created. This has affected Habacalva, my character for this tournament as well as Hestia, my character for the TC3 tournament. Luckily I still have read outs, but I can't be sure how many screenshots I'm missing...:mad:
If you use RWM, their default saving location is the 'Runewords' folder.

jiansonz said:
His drop was excellent, with two uniques: Lance of Yaggai and Bloodletter. VERY nice! Now I have a weapon that will 1.) let me eventually be a lightning Spearazon (it's even a fast weapon with some lightning damage already built in) and 2.) will work well enough in the hands of another Prayer merc so we can reach far enough into the Frigid Highlands, where the other (über) weapon will take over.

I do not think I've ever been this motivated to save the barbarians on the Highlands!
Bloodletter should pretty much rock in the hands of a Barb merc in Normal difficulty. I never knew until the recent thread that one handed sword damage was doubled for mercs. Nice! Do you know if the Sword Mastery skill has any effect on mercs?

PurePremium
Estimated market value
Low
High