[2018] Tournament: Set/Unique Worshippers 2017 [by jiansonz]

I'm trying to single-pass. Not re-rerunning the areas on the tournament char. So damn hard. My sorc is using short bow with 2 emeralds. Using spells occasionally as they deal low dmg. I want to go lightning / orb road. Noticed more rares than I get on my necro lol. Shame I can't even use them ;) BTW, what about runes / runewords?

Right. Runes are only good for cube recipes, or for selling. Unique upgrades are the main thing. Before all weapon/armor slots have S/U items, runes can also be useful for normalizing low quality items, or for socketing recipes. Hel is useful if you want to put something else in occupied socket(s).

GothamsBeard said:
I need to do some research to see which white/grey bows I can shop in Act 2.
Composite Bow. Both vendors have them but Elzix is more reliable (he has fewer big spears/polearms that clutter up the window). Late in the act, Short Battle Bows can drop, but it's quite rare.

Charlo said:
Too early for a leaderboard?

I think so, but we're getting there.

GothamsBeard said:
Locohead - You could design and run your own tournament as well :)
- Did that last month, pre-ladder reset
- Currently playing ladder
- Don't want to interfere with other running tourneys like this one

If I make another tourney it will probably be one more "2085" so I can get 20 more hours in on Ancient Tunnels and complete L95. Maybe next month...

"I shall purge this land of the shadow."
"I hear foul creatures about.”
"Perhaps now the sisters will trust me."

I had to restart, after using magics and rares out of habit. We can't even use those? Currently just started, and full clearing everywhere, using whatever Ethereal items I find, and a 1x chipped emerald bow at the moment on the merc. So glad we can still socket emeralds and topazes!
Den of Evil and Blood Raven completed.

My sorc has upgraded her bow and items. Bought some new stuff. Still white / grey ofc. Cleared Tower Cellar 1-5 and a nearby cave. So far so good. No dex invested as we can't respec. Investing some points in energy as lightning is very mana-intensive.

Which Jewel has a yellow colour?:

Pink, Purple/Blue, Peach/Orange, Green (OK), Red, White

jewel01.gif
jewel02.gif
jewel03.gif
jewel04.gif
jewel05.gif
jewel06.gif

"I sense great sorrow and misery."
"Rest in peace, sister."

This lack of items is a struggle. Only one Topaz, but am getting my Poison bow up slowly. Still running through with a combination of throwing weapons, ethereal, and an emerald bow.

The last (white) has a kind of tinge to it. Good question.

Question - I'm already past the 3 weapon limit as regards mercs going weaponless. If at this point I find a new unique weapon that my merc is capable of equipping, can he use it or do they have to be weaponless for ever now? Sorry if this is a dumb question.

10h4tpi.jpg

Jathnolf has ground through Act II and is level 28. I've found a few new pieces amidst an ocean of garbage, but the two Cathan's Traps items are the only ones making a real difference (the 10-20 fire damage is handy since raw damage is harder to come by than usual). I'm using Find Item a lot. I've only horked two S/Us so far, neither very useful, but I have horked some decent charms. Crushflange is doing most of the heavy lifting in combat at this point. Skills-wise I'm crawling up to Berserk and War Cry while maxing Battle Orders. I actually still have a narrow window to change my plans and do a Frenzybarb, Whirlybarb or Concentrator instead, but I'll most likely stick with my original Berserker idea. It's unlikely any game-changing weapon(s) will drop in the next 15 levels and I think I'll need the highest AR bonus I can get.

Weapon 1: Axe of Fechmar
Weapon 2a: Crushflange
Weapon 2b: Isenhart's Lightbrand (but I might drop it and have an empty slot)
Armour: Cathan's Mesh
Helmet: Biggin's Bonnet
Belt: Hsaru's Iron Stay
Gloves: standard light gauntlets
Boots: standard light plated boots
Ring 1: +3 Mana ring (Akara reward)
Ring 2: Cathan's Seal

Skills: 4 Find Item, 5 Battle Orders, rest in prereqs

Merc:
no weapon
Berserker's Headgear
Gemmed Splint mail (topazes)

S/U in my stash (inc. ATMA):
Berserker's Hatchet
Raven Claw
Isenhart's Horns
Stoutnail

Oakbrain said:
Question - I'm already past the 3 weapon limit as regards mercs going weaponless. If at this point I find a new unique weapon that my merc is capable of equipping, can he use it
Yes, absolutely.

-------------------------------------------

Since someone else is into Act III, I may as well write my first update while it's still fresh in my memory. Remember that I got a head start, and I've played a lot since it was so interesting to see how things would develop. It still is, but I will slow down for now, and I also need to think about what to do in the next act, because the current setup won't work well there.

Viridissima the Amazon (I drew on the 'Green with Envy' symbolic - viridis is latin for green, and the last part is a strengthening suffix, so her name means 'very green') of course started off with her pack of Javelins. They are crap in melee against zombies and gargantuan beasts, requiring many hits to kill those.

Pretty soon, I swapped to a Two-Handed Sword. I've played a 2h-sword amazon before, so I knew she would handle that weapon well at this time. I think the swinging sound it makes is great.

Viri01, beast boss.jpg
Found an endgame-worthy charm:

Viri02, great small charm.jpg

And in the Pit, I managed to get into...well, sort of a little jam:

Viri03, sort of oops.jpg

The first six topazes dropped rather quickly, but the seventh took until deep into the Catacombs, and that was the last one in the act except for a big one that Andariel dropped. The only two S/U items in the act were Hsaru's Iron Fist, from some regular critter on Stony Field, and Cleglaw's Claw, in the Catacombs. As I wrote before, I missed the ring reward because I came up with the rule after I was past that part.

In Act II, Viridissima (I'll call her Viri from now on) moved up to Claymore. Good damage, but darn slow. Of course, that didn't matter much at this stage since I was in 'merc kills all' mode (he was wearing MF items). I got my new buddy Neeraj (Prayer guard) a 3s Spetum with a chipped emerald. After a couple of areas, it had developed into this rather neat weapon:

Viri04, merc weapon.jpg

With this weapon in Neeraj's hands, Viri really didn't have to do all that much. She put one point into every Passive & Magic skill that opened up, until Decoy. Getting a few levels in Decoy made the progress even easier. It can be used to protect me from monsters that have made it past where Neeraj is fighting, it be used to distract greater mummies so they resurrect undead far less often, etc.

At peak MF, I think I was up to +125% for Neeraj's kills, but that diminshed rapidly. Here are the greens and golds in the act:

Isenhart's Lightbrand (Sewers)
Cathan's Mesh (Ancient Tunnels)
Steelgoad (Canyon of the Magi) <- Viri grabbed this, so Neeraj could keep using the Spetum shown above
Angelic Wings (seven tombs)
Berserker's Headgear (seven tombs)
Cathan's Mesh (Duriel)

This one was annoying. Rolled unique, but ilvl was apparently too low:

Viri05, failed unique Trident.jpg

Here, I'm using the Decoy as a stopper behind me so I don't get knocked back (thus keeping Neeraj safe):

Viri06, Duriel.jpg

By itself, Angelic Wings is not much to cheer about (although I like the extra light in dark dungeons) but it's by far the hardest item in the set to find. Makes me hopeful that I may eventually score a cool combo.
(Of course, I was wearing Amulet of the Viper by the time the AW dropped.)

In Spider Cavern, Cathan's Visage dropped, putting an end to non-S/U topazed armor items. MF has been zero ever since then. Neeraj got the Visage, because he hits more often than I do (so the 15-20 fire damage is more useful on him).

Then in Great Marsh, we had to say goodbye to the nice Spetum:

Viri07, third weapon.jpg

The good thing is that I can be a Bowazon with this. The bad thing is that it pretty much sucks...

What to do with mercs and weapons now?
Decided to try out Steelgoad on Neeraj, despite the ridiculous 75% monster flee. Well, it's often quite messy, but he can still kill things, so I went with this. Getting Valkyrie helped, both to contain fleeing monsters better, and in a pinch, she and I can (slowly) kill things together.

S/U finds, continued:
Bladebone (Lower Kurast)
Vidala's Barb (Disused Fane (in Bazaar))
Nokozan Relic (Sewers)

Bladebone is slower than Isenhart's sword, but I like it better because of fire damage and better AR vs. undead.

Looks like the game wants me to be a Bowazon. Have to think about it more before I commit points.
(and why does this set item have only one modifier?!)

Mephisto:
Viri08, mephisto.jpg

Neeraj died, and after that, Mephisto went after the Valkyrie whenever she was closest. I decided to keep on grinding. It was slow but safe. No S/U drop (but a failed unique Scissors Katar).

Gidbinn reward has one good modifier: 11% lightning resist.

Steelgoad won't work well at all in the next act. Monsters will flee to the map edge, and if we kill them there, they won't drop anything. Then we have the finger mages in the CS (and possibly in RoF) who will flee out over lava. My main options are:
- keep Neeraj but leave him weaponless
- hire a Cold Iron Wolf
- hire a rogue and give her Vidala's

Viridissima the undecided Amazon, level 32, Pandemonium Fortress

"These stones serve some magical purpose."
"What a strange looking tree."
"It's as if a great war were fought here."
"Deckard Cain , go to the rogues' camp without delay!

Still nothing to report at the end of Tristram. Plinking away with a bow, hitting with whatever ethereal I have, or throwing random axes/javelins until they run out. Not too many Topazes or Emeralds, but we have a couple. I am stocking up on all throwing potions for late Act 1, in case nothing drops and I need some form of extra damage.

Durbane the dog loving Druid has killed Andariel (well, actually she was fed to the dogs). Durbane is now at level 16 (almost 17), has been on Players 8 all the way. Has found no set or unique items. Both he and the merc have bows with emeralds and armor with topazes, but nothing else other than white items.

I did not use the embue quest, so if it is allowed, I will do that later. Based on the basics of this tournament, I assume that Charsi is useless.

The ring received from Akara had +6% magic find, so that is the peak of Act 1 as far as Durbane is concerned.

Considering the lack of good fortune, the dogs have made the game easy so far. I am not sure how they will do with Duriel though. That could be a long battle if Durbane should live so long.

Durbane has about 180000 gold and may try some gambling in Lut Gholane. Got to have some fun after all.

PurePremium
Estimated market value
Low
High