[2018] Tournament: Set/Unique Worshippers 2017 [by jiansonz]

Haha I have! Actually it’s funny that you say that because I have indeed decided to quit my job some time mid-year. Though instead of playing D2 in poverty I intend to burn through my savings on a round-the-world trip. :p Btw apologies for OT ;)

@Dezrok: Love the internal dialogue! Lots of good points there, back and forth.
(I often see players mention the' attack/melee skill on RMB' thing as something they prefer. I know maxicek was a fan of this when we wrote the Phoenix Striker guide together. (He was the main writer but at least I got a 'LMB alternative' paragraph into the guide) I've tried the RMB attack a couple of times, and I really don't like it. Too unprecise for my liking. I am very specific in my desire to attack that particular monster first, then that one.)
Honestly, I think I like the idea of being able to map a melee skill to the RMB and just run around whacking whatever comes within range much more than I actually use it. Mostly I go through the game selecting the targets I want to attack, and even if I initially engage with the auto-attack, I'll switch to selecting targets so that I can watch their life drop, check for immunities, etc..

However, there are times when my patience wears thin, particularly in areas with lots of little critters that I will kill quickly, and being able to choose to just run around and whack things for a while is a big release.

246s8s7.jpg

Jathnolf finished Act I. It was sluggish since most of it was him swinging away on players 8 with a 3x chipped emerald Bardiche but eventually we ground through everything. Andariel was easy but dropped nothing of use (dirty rares, ugh, who uses those?). I just hired a Blessed Aim desert mercenary. He's obliged to go weaponless for now because I have three unique weapons, none of which he can use. Haven't come close to dying yet. Jathnolf has found four unique items and zero set items so far.

Current Gear
Weapon 1: Axe of Fechmar (found in a tomb in Catacombs 2)
Weapon 2a: Stoutnail (horked from a unique Devilkin in the Pit)
Weapon 2b: Crushflange (dropped by a unique Tainted in Catacombs 2)
Helm: Biggin's Bonnet (dropped by Blood Raven)
Armour: ringmail with 3x chipped topaz
Ring 1: +3 mana ring (reward from Akara)
Charms: a few little bits of elemental damage and resists
Everything else: either empty slots or plain plebby white items not worth mentioning

The Axe of Fechmar is alright. It does freeze enemies which prevents horking if they shatter, but on the other hand that will also be useful to stop greater mummies from raising undead corpses. I'll switch out to my other weapons when fighting champions and uniques. Crushflange has 33% crushing blow, a decent fall back for bosses. Stoutnail is nothing special, could be worse though. Biggin's Bonnet has +30% damage and some extra mana which actually isn't half bad.

Hah, might give this tournament a chance :) And a more active gameplay than summon necro. Thought about barb (conc) or sorc (meteorb). Maybe amazon ? Idk which way to go with her (no respecs)... OFC untwinked :)

I am using infinite stash and ladder-only runewords and item option switched on in the-mod-we-can't-name. Don't want to bother with ATMA / GoMule...

@RadTang Under the forum rules you are not allowed to enter tournaments if you use any mods that are not forum approved. You can see all the details in the stickies. The mod you are using is not forum approved. Sorry to rain on your enthusiasm.

Why not make a fresh start/install and engage with the SPF fully?

I tried once with ATMA or GoMule. Had some problems. Can try again though.

Edit: Installing ATMA now. Will go again.

Edit 2: The only un-appriorate char will be my necro :( At least until I mule out the items.

Edit 3: Started a new char, on 1.14D - Sorceress PaniSUka (LadyBitch - as Polish name contains the reference to this challenge)

GL to the new players!

ioupainmax said:
The main build will focus on Enchant with Hydra as an ancillary support option from items (or possibly 1 point) to deal with dangerous enemies. Will figure out what to do about Hell if I get there :D

Enchant will fit well in this tourney, because even a weaponless merc can then be a decent killer.

@Oakbrain: Three weapons in Act I, not sure we've seen that before without MF help from magical/rare items. Not very good in general to find them so early, but you seem to be doing OK. Crushflange is in it for the long haul, it's a staple in these tourneys. I've played some S/U Phoenix Strikers and Crushflange is great as a Blade Fury weapon on switch (yes, the Knockback is then even a bonus).

Myself, I still have one open weapon slot, which means that the current (good) situation where my merc uses a decent weapon is living on borrowed time. Both my S/U weapons can actually be used by mercs, but that's really sub-optimal (in different ways). I'll write a full update when I am less tired and when some players are beginning to catch up to where I am (I had a head start).

Envy - the elemental bowazon finished Act 1 Normal last night. Found a couple more set/unique items along the way aside from the Infernal Cranium I posted above. Andariel herself dropped dropped nothing I could use but I did manage to down her on /p8 :)

All in all I'm really enjoying the bow playstyle. I don't feel like Act 2 will pose too many troubles aside from the big guy himself, Duriel. I need to do some research to see which white/grey bows I can shop in Act 2.

Another green cap:
b4dzrl.png

Biggin's Bonnet which I gave to my merc:
2w7k2s2.jpg

Andariel goes down on /P8:
250qp1y.png

jiansonz said:
Enchant will fit well in this tourney, because even a weaponless merc can then be a decent killer.
Yeah...you may have missed that I'm aiming to use a Lightning Iron Wolf called Flux, so my Enchant isn't going to help him lol. :p

I did think of maximising damage by going for a different merc, but I want to use an A3 one this time around. I've always had an Insight/Prayer addiction since I mostly play Sorceresses and never used A3 mercs for more than a few minutes. Since I'm going Enchant and max Warmth but not ES, I thought I'd try a non-A2 merc.

I'm going to switch to ranged mode for nasty monsters, using Hydra charges or something. We'll see how well I do...

ioupainmax said:
@drmalawi I see a slight issue, if you want to save Ancients quest for 98, then you will not reach Patriarch. Since this is Single Pass, then you can't re-run areas until it's complete. Otherwise, it is fine, especially if you kill Baal, then do runs after.
Yeah I loose that 14% to lvl 99 exp.

The amount of time spent on that 14% is far more than the times it takes to do a single pass guardian :)

WHAT YEAR IS IT?!?!

Heh. Anyway, I'd join but I don't like single-pass. Shame cause I'd like a set / unique tournament. I HATE that single pass forces you to grind every last monster then never return. And in this case, makes casters too good compared with melee. No freedom. I'd rather grind certain targets at least for a while.

Maybe if there had been something like, you can linger in an act until you find X amount of set/unique. And even tailor that to certain classes, like maybe sorcs and necros would have the lowest allowed lingering, while barbs or w/e have the most.

PurePremium
Estimated market value
Low
High