[2015] The Passive Aggressive Tournament [by Pb_pal]

The Management had been running around the Blood Moor for just a few minutes when she came across an opening in the stone wall.

"Turn back!" said the guard.

"I'm The Management," said The Management. "Thanks for your concern, but I think I can manage without your assistance."

She ran past the guard, who was firing off arrows rather ineffectively against a Quill Rat behind them, and headed for an intriguing patch of land just past the opening. As she suspected, it was a shortcut back to camp. Turned out to be a good thing she nabbed that waypoint, too, as there was an earthquake shortly afterward. The Management blacked out and woke up back at the camp. (Nope, not a death - laptop hit me with a BSOD)

"Good - I hate going over the same old ground. I'll just hop back on the path via the waypoint," she said to herself, blowing a kiss to the guard on the way back to the Moor.

There is a den of great evil, blah blah blah, and there were thanks and more demands, and it was all pretty boring in the Cold Plains so she decided to find someone to manage even before heading to the graveyard. As soon as that annoyingly imperious Kashya was willing to hire out one of her little helpers, The Management called them in for interviews.

This chick calling herself Divo showed up, and what with her relative experience and training in the cold arrow, seemed like she might be all right in battle.

"I guess I'll waste some of my money on this one," The Management said to Kashya. "I haven't battled in a while and I'd be embarrassed to die at the hands of your precious Blood Raven anyway."

Divo turned out to be all right in battle indeed. The Management let her do most of the work, spending most of her time standing around watching the sparkles of her icy shield turn enemies blue when they attempted to batter her.
Screenshot008 (1).jpg

Nothing very interesting happened until they emerged from a long underground passage into a Dark Wood and were immediately accosted by the Three Bears. Talk about a stair trap! They could at least have dropped something useful, but no.

So The Management agreed to go rescue Dimwit Cain from Tristram where he'd gotten himself stuck in a cage. He was really rude and didn't hold the door for her so she put him to work immediately identifying all the junk she had accumulated. There was a lot of junk and she sold most of it. Then wasted a bunch of time over at Gheed's.

"C'mon! Mama needs a new pair of shoes!" she'd say. And Gheed would toss her a pair of Sturdy Boots, or those super-unfashionable ones made by Dex, or something else equally unsatisfying. Finally she ended up with a used pair of PF Flyers - the magic had gone out of them but they were still a little speedy so she guessed they'd do for a while until she could find something better.

She grabbed Divo a better bow while they were in that Underground Passage - nothing special, just a 3OS Hunter's Bow - and studded it with some jewels. Nothing fancy, just a couple of chipped rubies and an ice chip. Had a little luck finding some chipped topaz but it would be nice if Divo could be wearing a matched set. Not investing in a new top unless and until another topaz turns up.

So they headed along out into the Black Marsh and came to the ruins of the fabled tower. Headed down and remembered to say the magic words, "Players 3" so that the Countess might drop something interesting.

Screenshot009.jpg
The Management sat down and wrote two-thirds of a song (actually a real song by Paul Weller)
"Better stop dreaming of the quiet life / 'Cos it's the one we'll never know / And quit running for that runaway bus / 'Cause those rosy days are few…"
"A Town Called Malice"

Yep, two-thirds of the way to a Malice. The Management stashed it away and spent a lot of time on her fitness program running up and down the stairs dragging junk to Cain and Charsi-ing it all. Still ended up with a lot of junk in the trunk, though.

They found a gem shrine in the back corner of the Marsh, but ended up being unable to save it until the end of the Act because there was just too much junk in the trunk and they decided they had better S-and-E soon. So The Management sighed, grabbed a chipped ruby instead of the hoped-for topaz, and gave the shrine angel a high five. Stashed the flawed ruby for later.

Screenshot010 (1).jpg
So at this point, this is her junk.

The Management gambled these gloves at level 17, so she was going to switch from her gold finding boots back to the FRW ... but there was a pair of boots in the gambling window (and back then, her inventory wasn't jam-packed) so she threw some more gold at Gheed...

Screenshot011 (1).jpg
Decent MF now with a Felicitous Amulet of Energy adding another 10% - but really, of ENERGY? The Management doesn't even USE energy except to throw up her shield and be enchanting. Eyeroll moment, but she's wearing the jewelry.

Packrat ... couldn't bear to Charsi the extra boots, which is part of why The Management is so loaded down.

Oh and of course the waypoint is completely across the jail map from the staircase so they are going to have to run and run and run at P1 when they return.

Eyeroll. Whatever.

TheManagement, Melee Enchantress, L18, A1Normal, Jail1

Last edited:
Congrats, Dazliare!

TheManagement ran into an evil poison-spitting worm with Spectral Hit out in the desert just a wee bit into the Far Oasis and despite being equipped with Cleglaw's Claw and a poison-length reduction belt AND a regen +5 ring, she somehow breathed her last gasp of his noxious fumes. He had a name but I was so mad that I forgot what it was.

I made her in softcore so I'll still play her but not for the tourney. She had found Gull Dagger and wasn't doing too badly in general - if only her handler weren't so reckless and careless... I was overconfident and I honestly don't know how her life sank away so quickly.

I think I'll try again though! I'll come up with a new personality and let you know when I'm back in.

TrubbaNot said:
Congrats, Dazliare!

TheManagement ran into an evil poison-spitting worm with Spectral Hit out in the desert just a wee bit into the Far Oasis and despite being equipped with Cleglaw's Claw and a poison-length reduction belt AND a regen +5 ring, she somehow breathed her last gasp of his noxious fumes. He had a name but I was so mad that I forgot what it was.

I made her in softcore so I'll still play her but not for the tourney. She had found Gull Dagger and wasn't doing too badly in general - if only her handler weren't so reckless and careless... I was overconfident and I honestly don't know how her life sank away so quickly.

I think I'll try again though! I'll come up with a new personality and let you know when I'm back in.
Sorry to hear that!! Better luck next time :)

Last edited:
Time for another update on Relic the Ironmancer (with the help of occasional Clay and Fire Golems) and Emilio the blessed aim desert guard wielding an ethereal Athena's Wrath, ethereal 'fortitude' Great Hauberk, and Anderial's Visage.

Last we saw Relic he just defeated Diablo and was ready to move onto the final act of journey. My plan is he will either finish on players 8 or will die trying.

Act V started very routine. Due to my schedule being unpredictable and playing time scarce, I usually only have about an hour per session. What that means is tend to run / teleport through some areas and forget event happens from earlier sessions. Regardless, the first three areas were pretty uneventful. Even though I'm currently running with around ~325 MF on players 8, the drops just have not been there. I was hoping that by now I would have found a number of high level sets and uniques I've never seen before. Oh well, that is life.

The action didn't really start until the Crystalline Passage. I neglected to bring my telekinesis ring which I completely forgot about until I saw the first evil urn. I can't remember the 3 monster types in the area, but I know that snakes were definitely one them. I cleared the rest of the area before triggering the urn.

Screenshot287 (1).jpg

Screenshot288.jpg

Wow was that close! Worst NDE I've ever had. As you can see they spawned extra fast, might enchanted, along with something else, right one top of me when clicked the urn! All fat purples were pounded. I literally saw my life go from full to near empty 4 complete times. That had me thinking maybe I should start putting 2 rows of fat purples.

I had this weird encounter during the fight with Frozenstein, it made the battle very difficult and quite tough to manage safely.

Screenshot289.jpg

I decided after that near NDE with the evil urn, do change up my gear yet again. I switched out a ring, my amulet, some charms, and replaced the topazs in my hat to rubies. The results of those changes were the following:

Screenshot290.jpg

Not bad life or resistances. Too bad there is no effective way of getting LR up a couple more ticks.

The Drifter Cavern was quite scary. Invaders, gloams, and skeleton mages I believe. Due to the danger, I only took one screenshot shown below. The other scary are was when a bersker invader killing Emilio and the golem and started chasing after me. Due to him only having 10% life left, his speed was increased. No matter how fast I ran I couldn't outrun him or even avoid getting hit hard a few times before I made it back to the cave entrance.

Screenshot293.jpg

No real interesting happenings in Nihlathak's area either. His corpse explosion hurt, but other than that pretty routine. Amp Damage + stategic attract / deprecify make short work of just about everyone.

It was now time to fight to the ancients; and that is where I currently am right now. My plan to complete the game today (maybe the cows tomorrow) or die trying. I made one last switch to really crank up my gear and get maxed life / resists possible for the fight. See below for my pre battle stats.

Screenshot315.jpg

I actually tried to take them on a couple days ago when I came home for an extended lunch when a service tech was performing work on our house, but I am sad to say that ended in semi-failure. I ran through the ancient's way but at players 1 but forgot to increase the players setting for the actual battle! I barely had time to even see their modifiers as the entire battle lasted less than 15 seconds. Emilio and rusty the iron golem wiped them out while I was still fooling around with dropping potions, get my bow ready, switching out my teleport amulet, etc. I will give it another go at players 8 this time. Next report will be a guardian or deeds.

Relic the Ironmancer and Emilio the Blessed Aim Desert Guard, Level 89, Act V - Hell Ancients

Last edited:
I almost had a heart attack when I saw the pause menu on that screenie and thought it was deeds!

That's a strange thing to have happen though, everything just went invisible? I've had the merc pop in and out of existence during fights before, but I don't ever recall it happening to my character or the enemies. Very strange. Also very cool that you can still direct the fight using the light radii and the bolts from Emilio's chilling armor. Great job getting through that!

Sounds like the game is throwing everything it can at you to make your life difficult for the last little stretch. Best of luck to Relic and his crew!

That's odd indeed, never seen that happen before. Your evil urn shots are scary. They popped up exactly where you were standing in the first shot! I also couldn't believe you only had 1 row of purples. Madness I say!

Good luck with the final stretch!

Holy Mazurka, bladejj! 2 rows of fat purples might be a good plan. Best of luck to you indeed! That invisible thing would have freaked me out big time.

Fine_Whatever, also a sorceress like her predecessor but wielding a shield with her one-handed weapon on primary (and will add Thunderstorm to her skills rather than being purely a shielded enchantress, to differentiate her), has rescued Cain, cleared Tristram... and accidentally did an S&E at L14 after having grabbed the Dark Wood waypoint. (There was no danger - it was just a paused game that alt-tab accidentally logged her out of.)

(Not in my plan - but fine. Whatever.)

She hasn't gone underground to Coldcrow, nor into the subterranean regions of Blood Raven's area, nor has she completed the Underground Passage, so the re-entry will be interesting. A lot of running and P1 / P8 switching. She'll still do full clears.

Right now she only has invested points in the cold shield tree and in prereqs. 3 in Frozen Armor and one in Shiver Armor. With her staff on switch giving +2 to Frozen Armor she is just using that and mostly giving Floria the kills in the interest of having the merc leveling up.

She has not had good luck with gems, having found only one chipped topaz, but the good news is that she found a gem shrine that she used before that accidental S&E - so she's got a little hat with one flawed topaz for MF, augmented with 15% MF Gloves of Chance just gambled not long beforehand.

Let's see whether I can not kill this one in Normal... haha.

Fine_Whatever and Floria the Cold Arrow Rogue Merc, Level 14, A1-Normal, Dark Woods Waypoint.

So I have finished act 2 NM now. All players 8 except the Duriel fight.

Pos: I love my wolves!! I love how I can replace them and use the positioning to break up groups and let my merc do the killing. Oak sage gives my large amount of life. I feel rather safe though slow going...

Neg: It seems impossible to find my merc a better weapon! He is still using an Insight Poleaxe which is doing too little damage, I have runes for another Insight as well as an Honor but the base just never drops! Annoying. At 200 mf and p8 I would expect better drops to be honest (not socketables, I know that will actually decrease with the mf but uniques and sets)

LittleGirl and Fazel the combat merc, Lvl 60 Kurazt NM

Down to third page?? Must be because bladejj is slowing down...

So I am in the jungle and just found the Flayer WP. It is one of the strangest maps I have seen with lots of dead ends and such. I had to go through the whole of Great Marsh just to realize that the tiny sport on the map in the Spider Forest that I missed before was the way to Flayer... Sigh...

My weapon does little to no damage, on p8 it is basically 0... and I have to let my merc and wolves do the killing. Which is why you called it the PA tourney I suppose :) I still feel pretty safe although bored so I will continue on p1 and see if that makes it more fun. No drops to mention so far in act III which is also making it a bit boring

LittleGirl and Fazel the combat merc, Lvl 60 Flayer Jungle NM

@queenEm - Good steady progress! Hopefully it gets a bit more entertaining soon, or you at least start seeing some drops for motivation!

@bladejj - I'm terrified to ask, but how is Relic doing?

--

Figured I'd update the table for the remaining participants while this is on the first page :) Great job everyone!

Code:
The Proven (Guardians):
Forum Name     Class        Char Name      LVL    ACT       Area
------------------------------------------------------------------------------
jiansonz       Sorceress    Sissy          87     ---       Full Game Clear
Pb_pal         Amazon       Calabi         **     ---       Full Game Clear

Table of Heroes:
bladejj        Necromancer  Relic          89     A5(H)     Ancients
queenEm        Druid        LittleGirl     60     A3(NM)    Flayer Jungle
Zylo           Druid        Hoyt           59     A3(NM)    Kurast Docks
sivaeB         Necromancer  Toast          49     A2(NM)    Lut Gholein
felixbavaria   Sorceress    Swoosh         51     A1(NM)    Inner Cloister
Bee            Barbarian    Rocky          48     A1(NM)    Cold Plains
srrw           Druid        PurpleHaze     48     A1(NM)    Rogue Encampment
Dazliare       Amazon       RIP_Vladimir   ??     A5        Moo Moo Farm
djmbbandie     Assassin     Natasha        38     A5        Arreat Plateau
kestegs        Necromancer  WallE          32     A4        Pandemonium Fortress
ranagrande     Barbarian    Beldric        28     A3        Kurast Docks
pharphis       Sorceress    SlamDoorsShut  23     A2        Far Oasis
Morathi        Assassin     Carrisa        21     A2        Lut Gholein
Gino           Druid        Gordon         20     A2        Sewers
Jocular        Assassin     ?????          14     A1        Stony Field/Dark Wood(?)
TrubbaNot      Sorceress    Fine_Whatever  14     A1        Dark Wood
jamesixgun     Druid        John           13     A1        Dark Wood

The Fallen (RIP):
thefranklin    Druid        FollowTheBear  66     A4(NM)    Diablo
Southpaw8668   Necromancer  Hallow         61     A3(NM)    Great Marsh
Interdasting   Druid        Interdasting   29     A3        Flayer Dungeon
TrubbaNot      Sorceress    TheManagement  ??     A2        Far Oasis
Southpaw8668   Amazon       Contessa       15     A1        Andariel

I just realized that, by being a Summoning Druid in the Committed Tournament, Orbin meets all the requirements for this one too.

I was planning to have my mercenary respec to Holy Freeze when I get to Nightmare, which would disqualify him. Now I'm reconsidering that, and I think I may get Thorns instead.

I'll have to think of another way to deal with PIs, but it would totally be worth it to have the same character entered in three different tournies!

Sorry for the delay in my update, RL has gotten in the way recently. Actually, my playing with Relic ended about 3 weeks ago...

Screenshot004 (1).jpg

Just joking on the previous one, that was a different tournament character!
Screenshot331.jpg

A quick blurb amount the finish. After accidently spawning the Ancients on players 1 (and killing them all in less than 20 seconds), I respawned them at players 8. As a personal style, I never have rerolled them so I took whatever the game gave me. Even though they had some tough mods such as LE, extra strong, FI, FE, etc, they didn't take more than 2 minutes to bring down. I opted to take them all on at once without separating them.

Screenshot316.jpg

The remainder of the Worldstone Keep wasn't so bad. Dolls and Gloams didn't cause too much concern. Neither did these beasts:

Screenshot323.jpg

AKA. The most deadly gloam possible:

Screenshot324.jpg

Minions were a breeze. However, in stark constant, Baal at players 8 was incredible difficult. I forgot to bring in any crushing blow gear...I quickly regretted that. Long story short, the entire battle took over 1 hour and 45 minutes! If I used clay golem with decrepify Baal's special powers were rendered useless; however, damage was just took slow. I took on the added risk and used Amp for most of the grueling battle. Several NDE's were solved with fat purples.

Screenshot330.jpg

I started cows on players 8....HUGE mistake!! After the golem and mercenary went in opposite directions things went from bad to disastrous in mere seconds. After the first screenshot I started running for my life!

Screenshot334.jpg

Screenshot335.jpg

The main issue here was that whenever I tried to lure cows away (in order to portal park them), I could never get them all. In addition, many times I was surrounded and forced to dim vision the crowd. While that saved my life countless times, it worked at complete cross-purposes with clearly space because they immediately stopped following me. You can see how much of the screen I already covered. Total cows put to rest up to this point = 0.

After about 30 portal parks and at least at many NDE's (we're talking major NDE's here) I was finally able to create some space and clear the level. Players 8 was actually extremely difficult but I wanted to try to hit level 90. Turns out I came a bit short of that goal but boy was Relic a blast to play.

Life: 1,790 (I was just shy of 1,900 for the Ancients but I had MF gear for most of Act 5 Hell)
Mana: 328
S/D/V/M: 80/40/390/25
Resistances: 75/75/75/49
Ending MF: 296% on 95% of kills. For hell Baal it was over 500% on the kill

Skills used in order of importance: Amp Damage, Dim Vision, Attract, Bone Armor, Iron Golem, Fire Golem, Decrepify, Thorns. I tried bone twice and nearly killed myself.

Helm: Rainbow Circlet of the Squid (+10 resist all, +61 life, +48 MF, socketed with 2 perfect topazes.)
Armor: Jeweler’s Full Plate Mail of the Centaur (+218 life, socketed with 4 perfect rubies)
Gloves: Chance Guards (+37% MF)
Belt: Ocher Belt of the Squid (+80 life, 17% LR)
Boots: Skull Tread Boots (+5 Dex, +6% FR, +31% CR, +19% MF, +20%FWR)
Weapon: Carin Shard (+1 skills, +2 summoning skills, +111 life & mana, 30% FHR, +10% FCR)
Shield: Moser’s Blessed Circle (+63% resist all, socketed with 2 perfect diamonds)
Weapon2: Blade of Ali Baba (+125% MF, socketed with an Ist rune and a rare jewel with +6 MF among other modifiers)
Shield2: Trang-Oul’s Wing (great strength and dexterity, nice fire and poison resists as well)

Amulet: Chromatic Amulet of the Mammoth (+33 life, +21% resist all)
Ring: Rare Ring (+39 life, 21% FR, +2 stregth, +4% life steal)
Ring: Scintillating Ring of Fortune (18% MF, +15% resist all)

Charms provide: 205 life,+24 MF, and various resistance. Best of the bunch are the following:

- Shimmering (4% resist all) Small Charm of Balance (5% FHR)
- Tangerine (3% LR) Small Charm of Good Luck (7% MF)
- Garnet (8% FR) Small Charm of Good Luck (7% MF)
- Cobalt (9% CR) Small Charm of Balance (5% FHR)
- Sharp (+5 max damage, +30 AR) Large Charm of Vita (27)
- Lucky(+10% MF) Grand Charm of Vita (38)
- 2 Plain Grand Charms of Vita (37/39)

Other useful items used were:

- Amulet of Teleportation
- Ring of Telekinesis
- Golemloard's Amulet
- 'Malic' Superior Hyperior Spear

Emilio, Blessed Aim, Desert Guard:

Weapon: Upgraded Ethereal Athena’s Wrath ( 50-677 damage, +7% life steal (Amn), +87 life, +30% IAS, ~5 frames per attack)
Armor: Fortitude Ethereal Great Hauberk. (2,814 defense, +27 resist all, 200% ED, level 15 chilling armor)
Helm: Andariel’s Visage (+2 skills, +25 strength, +10 life steal, 20% IAS, 20% FHR (Shael))

With his setup, coupled with Amp Damage, killing was almost too easy. Only few deaths in hell were due to me sticking with Amp Damage when I should have switched to Decrepify or utilized Attract in the situation. Other than that a very study tank and an excellent killing machine. Even without crushing blow or open wounds he killing very effectively on players 8 in hell.

Interesting or rare finds were the following:

- Lo, Vex, Ist, Mal rune
- 2 Arcannna's Sign Amulets
- Steel Carpace Shadow Plate
- 6 different full sets

Observations while playing Relic:

1) Mojomancers are definite a viable Hell build. A mixed bag of curses can handle literally any situation.
2) I didn't "discover" attract until mid NM, but it turned into my favorite skill.
3) High level IG works at cross-purposes with it's intended function. High defense means he doesn't get hit at much which decreases the useless of the high level thorns.
4) Fortitude is an awesome runeword.
5) Confuse does not work in conjunction with other curses (big disappoint)
6) Keep all El runes. I ran out of El runes mid NM and didn't find a single one in all of Hell. That meant no more Malice IG's.

Relic will now be retired and but may get a bit of playing time if I every feel the urge. He joins my Guardians, a bowler and trapper, in retirement.

Thanks for hosting an excellent tournament and being so involved and responsive to our progress, Pb_pal!

Guardian Relic the Ironmancer and Emilio the Blessed Aim Desert Guard, Level 89.7, Full Game Clear

Last edited:
Amazing job with Relic. The write-ups were an absolute pleasure to read, I'm glad you had a good time playing him, and enjoyed the tournament. :)

Huge congratulations, and I'm still in awe of the gear you managed to assemble. Great job! This calls for a special table update to put Relic in his rightful place.

--

Code:
The Proven (Guardians):
jiansonz       Sorceress    Sissy          87     ---       Full Game Clear
Pb_pal         Amazon       Calabi         **     ---       Full Game Clear
bladejj        Necromancer  Relic          89     ---       Full Game Clear
Table of Heroes:
queenEm        Druid        LittleGirl     60     A3(NM)    Flayer Jungle
Zylo           Druid        Hoyt           59     A3(NM)    Kurast Docks
sivaeB         Necromancer  Toast          49     A2(NM)    Lut Gholein
felixbavaria   Sorceress    Swoosh         51     A1(NM)    Inner Cloister
Bee            Barbarian    Rocky          48     A1(NM)    Cold Plains
srrw           Druid        PurpleHaze     48     A1(NM)    Rogue Encampment
Dazliare       Amazon       RIP_Vladimir   ??     A5        Moo Moo Farm
djmbbandie     Assassin     Natasha        38     A5        Arreat Plateau
kestegs        Necromancer  WallE          32     A4        Pandemonium Fortress
ranagrande     Barbarian    Beldric        28     A3        Kurast Docks
pharphis       Sorceress    SlamDoorsShut  23     A2        Far Oasis
Morathi        Assassin     Carrisa        21     A2        Lut Gholein
Gino           Druid        Gordon         20     A2        Sewers
Jocular        Assassin     ?????          14     A1        Stony Field/Dark Wood(?)
TrubbaNot      Sorceress    Fine_Whatever  14     A1        Dark Wood
jamesixgun     Druid        John           13     A1        Dark Wood

The Fallen (RIP):
thefranklin    Druid        FollowTheBear  66     A4(NM)    Diablo
Southpaw8668   Necromancer  Hallow         61     A3(NM)    Great Marsh
Interdasting   Druid        Interdasting   29     A3        Flayer Dungeon
TrubbaNot      Sorceress    TheManagement  ??     A2        Far Oasis
Southpaw8668   Amazon       Contessa       15     A1        Andariel

@Pb_pal - Entering with Isen the Cleric and Kasim the Blessed Aim mercenary. Thus far Isen has maxed out his Heal with a point in Cleansing, so he can stand back and heal Kasim full time either passively or actively shooting Holy Bolts at him to aid in his decimation of evil. Isen has sworn to never touched an edged weapon and therefore he can only wield blunt force weapons such as the Crushflange he found in the Dark Woods. He also found the Pelta Luna buckler in Level 2 of the Hole. Other items he has gathered and sold eventually are two sets of Arctic Furs, the Knasher hand axe and the Infernal cap. Isen with the help of Debi in Act I had very little concern while battling Andariel on /p8, as his health rarely dipped below maxed with his nearly maxed Heal and one point in Cleansing aura running full time for the pair. He also found a poison shrine close by the stairway to level 4, which maxed out his resistance of her main attack.
Screenshot010 (2).jpg

Radament was also fairly easy, as Isen focused on him while Kasim took out all of his minions. Venturing out into the desert up next.

Isen and Kasim, Level 21, The Shining City

Last edited:
PurePremium
Estimated market value
Low
High