[2015] The Passive Aggressive Tournament [by Pb_pal]

So I have made it through Normal and am now lvl 45. I found two Dol runes which is nice for normal I suppose. Also (as mentioned before) three Nagelrings. There are also some uniques and sets (Isenhart and Cathan.. you know the usual bling) I have also created an Insight for the merc. Not that I need any mana regen but it is a cheap weapon and the best I could find until now. The druid himself is equipped with an Edge Heavy Crossbow cause I like the Thorns aura

I have 20 pts in Dire wolf and by now 13 in the Grizzly, 5 pts in the Oak sageand some in Ravens. The bear killed Baal really fast! I like :) It is also one of the first times that I have done the whole Normal in p8 settings. Usually I get tired of the slow killing pace somewhere in act 2 but now I struggled on and it was easier later on!!

Now off to kill some more!!

LittleGirl, NM Rogue Encampment, lvl 45

@bladejj - ANOTHER Lo rune?! That is just insane. Can't wait to see how you guys fare going forward on /p8, what a character (and merc) you've got going there! Great job. :) Oh, and GIEB btw.

@queenEm - Congrats on the Destroyer! As jiansonz stated, your group should be quite powerful for the next little while. Best of luck to your team in NM, hopefully Relic left a few runes behind for you.;)

--

Let's get a new table in here in honour of queenEm's first tournament destroyer!

Code:
The Proven (Guardians):
Forum Name     Class        Char Name      LVL    ACT       Area
------------------------------------------------------------------------------
jiansonz       Sorceress    Sissy          87     ---       Full Game Clear
Pb_pal         Amazon       Calabi         **     ---       Full Game Clear

Table of Heroes:
bladejj        Necromancer  Relic          86     A3(H)     Spider Forest
Zylo           Druid        Hoyt           59     A3(NM)    Kurast Docks
sivaeB         Necromancer  Toast          49     A2(NM)    Lut Gholein
felixbavaria   Sorceress    Swoosh         51     A1(NM)    Inner Cloister
Bee            Barbarian    Rocky          48     A1(NM)    Cold Plains
srrw           Druid        PurpleHaze     48     A1(NM)    Rogue Encampment
queenEm        Druid        LittleGirl     45     A1(NM)    Rogue Encampment
djmbbandie     Assassin     Natasha        38     A5        Arreat Plateau
Dazliare       Amazon       RIP_Vladimir   35     A5        Harrogath
kestegs        Necromancer  WallE          32     A4        Pandemonium Fortress
ranagrande     Barbarian    Beldric        28     A3        Kurast Docks
pharphis       Sorceress    SlamDoorsShut  23     A2        Far Oasis
Morathi        Assassin     Carrisa        21     A2        Lut Gholein
Jocular        Assassin     ?????          14     A1        Stony Field/Dark Wood(?)
jamesixgun     Druid        John           13     A1        Dark Wood

The Fallen (RIP):
thefranklin    Druid        FollowTheBear  66     A4(NM)    Diablo
Southpaw8668   Necromancer  Hallow         61     A3(NM)    Great Marsh
Interdasting   Druid        Interdasting   29     A3        Flayer Dungeon
Southpaw8668   Amazon       Contessa       15     A1        Andariel

Pb_pal said:
@bladejj - ANOTHER Lo rune?! That is just insane. Can't wait to see how you guys fare going forward on /p8, what a character (and merc) you've got going there! Great job. :) Oh, and GIEB btw.
Thanks, it was highest rune I've ever seen. And I actually only found one, but i can see now how my post was worded to make it seem as though I found two. I also have the runes to make Obedience if I can find a good ethereal 5 socketed polearm. I haven't yet fired up D2 sijce I made fortitude but I can't wait to try it out! Hopefully some time this weekend will open up.

Brief update on Relic the Ironmancer, who also specializes in other golems due to running out of el runes to make ‘malice’ iron golems, and Emilio the Blessed Aim Desert Guard. They are currently level 87 and through Lower Kurast.

Gameplay and been an abosulte breeze even at Players 8. Relic’s current stats are as follows:

Life: 1,583
Mana: 305
Resistances: 67/72/75/55

Helm: Rainbow Circlet of the Squid (+10 resist all, +137 life, socketed with 2 perfect rubies. Found in normal)
Armor: Jeweler’s Full Plate Mail of the Centaur (+65 life, +96% MF, socketed with 4 perfect topazes)
Gloves: Chance Guards (+37% MF)
Belt: Ocher Belt of the Squid (+80 life, 17% LR)
Boots: Skull Tread Boots (+5 Dex, +6% FR, +31% CR, +19% MF, +20%FWR)
Weapon: Carin Shard (+1 skills, +2 summoning skills, +108 life & mana, 30% FHR, +10% FCR)
Shield: Moser’s Blessed Circle (+63% resist all, socketed with 2 perfect diamonds)
Weapon2: Blade of Ali Baba (+123% MF, socketed with an Ist rune and a rare jewel with +6 MF among other modifiers)
Shield2: Trang-Oul’s Wing (great strength and dexterity, nice fire and poison resists as well)

Amulet: Chromatic Amulet of the Mammoth (+33 life, +21% resist all)
Ring: Nagelring (21% MF)
Ring: Scintillating Ring of Fortune (18% MF, +15% resist all)

Charms provide: 173 life,+17 MF, and various resistance. The best being one I just found in the Flayer Dungeon, a Lucky Grand Charm of Vita (+10 MF, +38 life).

Emilio who is the main killing is VERY well equip. Even fully twinked mercenaries would have difficulty beating this setup:

Weapon: Upgraded Ethereal Athena’s Wrath ( 50-677 damage, +7% life steal, +87 life, +30% IAS, ~5 frames per attack)
Armor: Fortitude Ethereal Great Hauberk. (2,814 defense, +27 resist all, 200% ED, level 15 chilling armor)
Helm: Andariel’s Visage (+2 skills, +25 strength, +10 life steal, 20% IAS)

Emilio’s damage and survivability is unbelievable. See the picture below. With massive damage (LSC shows around 675-4,650) and 17% life steal he hasn’t died in Act 3 hell. In addition, he is blessed aim so he hits every single swing without fail (I’m sure aided by +2 skills on Andariel’s Visage). Also, when the chilling armor activates, which is all the time due to the a 20% chance to cast upon being struck, it ups his armor to ~9,500; meaning he very, very rarely even gets put into hit recovery.

Screenshot236.jpg
Even while under the effects of Holy Freeze, Stormtree's pack couldn't even put him into yellow!

Screenshot233.jpg

Even when completely mobbed, they don't stand a chance. I use amp damage almost exclusively as I feel it kills faster than decrepify. It may just be me as the monsters move slower so my brain is telling me is slower, but Emilio doesn't need the monsters slowed anyways.

Regarding my gear listed above, I could get more life and resistances if I wanted, but they aren’t really needed. While Relic is the only one carrying any MF, his magic find totals an impressive 208% on regular kills and 331% on boss kills (or whenever I feel it is safe to the Ali Baba). I tend to try to save switching to the Tulwar when I feel very confident in my current position, switching means I lose about 70% resist all and over 100 life. Overall though, I have been very impressed with the results of having this much MF in Hell. See below for a couple examples.

Screenshot240.jpg

That armor is awesome! 40% chance of crushing blow. This should make short work of Mephisto, Diablo, and Baal.

Screenshot243.jpg

Drop from Witch Doctor Endugu, nothing useless, just cool to see 4 rares. Also note the nice gold piles.

Relic the Ironmancer and Emilio the Blessed Aim Desert Guard, Level 87, Hell Lower Kurast

Thanks Pb_pal and kestegs! I too am shocked at how good the gear is. Still no TC 87 S/U items though, those are always fun to find. Playing through hell with high MF and at players 8 is definitely paying off!

Relic cleared Kurast Bazaar, Upper Kurast, The Sewers, the 4 remaining temples and the Tranvical. Only one near NDE stairtrap and a few more good finds.

Screenshot249.jpg

I had to dodge that extra fast, extra strong, some others mods boss that came in. Had to use all 4 fat purples to survive, should have stocked more in my belt. Even though Relic has high life and Bone Armor, he is still quite fragile in hand to hand combat.

Screenshot252.jpg

Same temple as the stair trap. That brings me up to 3 fals in total.

Screenshot254.jpg

Well this opens up some more opportunities!

Screenshot255.jpg

The entire Council drops. Getting them all together to die in the same spot was a bit challenging but overall not too dangerous with maxed out resistances. Other finds in the Tranvical include Natalya's Totem, Goblin Toe, and Immortal King's Pillar War Boots.

Relic the Ironmancer and Emilio the Blessed Aim Desert Guard, Level 87, Hell Durance of Hate

Last edited:
Relic made decent and fast process in the last day or so. Where did we leave off *looks up a post* oh yes, that's right, about to enter the Durance of Hate. When I started this session, I did a few quick teleports and easily bypassed the council and started in on the Durance. Pretty easy going for the most part. Business as usual for Emilio...

Screenshot258.jpg

I did encounter a setup in the Durance level 2 that I never have seen before. Needless to the say, this was a very difficult and nearing caused Relic his deeds. I tried to pick them off with a bow, but their regeneration was far too high. Teleporting in was the only chance to retain my full clear status. A couple attempts almost ended his journey as there was literally no room to move. Elimio eventually got the job done. In case you can't tell, there were 4-5 big guys on that little platform. None of them dropped anything.

Screenshot260.jpg

The march up to the Mephisto was fun. I greatly enjoy the Durance levels as there are a lot of popable things. Mephisto's dropped me my first IK Stone Crusher. Upon entering Act 4, I filled the two sockets with a Tal and a shimmering jewel in an attempt to help him survive longer....he didn't even last until the second monster pack into Act 4!

Screenshot261.jpg

Starting in Act 4, I switched around some gear and charms. I was able to max out my resistances (poison was not maxed) and increase my life by about 100. I switched out my Nagelring for a Rainbow Ring of the Tiger (+9% resist all, +28 life) and moved some charms around. After many lackluster crafting attempts, I made this nice amulet which Relic is now sporting:

Code:
Order Talisman
Amulet
Required Level: 57
Item Version: 1.10+ Expansion
Item Level: 87
Fingerprint: 0x46101436
+12 to Energy
+14 to Dexterity
+27 to Mana
+5% Increased Chance of Blocking
Damage Reduced by 3
Magic Damage Reduced by 2
All Resistances +20

Now onto Act 4. Still playing exclusively at players 8. This boss nearly ended my full clear status. Amp damage could break her physical immunity but I could not stop her massive life regeneration. She was temporarily parked...more on this later. Also, the first 3 areas of Act 4 were pretty tedious to clear. Monster life jumped up greatly and Emilio did not have any PMH or poison damage. In addition those spawners were a real pain to deal with, especially the bosses which can have well over the usual 6 children. I tried my usual poison pots but most monsters in Act 4 are poison immune.

Screenshot262.jpg

Hellforge dropped a Mal which allowed my to create mouth watering weapon. Monster regeneration was no longer an issue for Emilio and process to Diablo was incredibly fast! The 3 physical immune monsters which were parked were then dealt with.

Screenshot283.jpg

While Emilio can handle his own in most situations, when he is cursed or completely engulfed with enemies, he doesn't fare so well. A few resurrections were needed into the Chaos Sanctuary. My typical strategy is the following for most packs as the ones seen below:

1) Dim Vision crowd (note the curses, including dim vision, do not affect the caster oblivion knights)
2) Amp or Decrepify enemies right around Emilio
3) Attract monsters near the back of the crowd to take ranged fire, and maybe attract a few more for good measure
4) Dim Vision...Amp...Attract...rinse and report until all are dead.

Below are a couple of the entertaining scenes from the Chaos Sanctuary. No NDE's for Relic, I don't recall him ever loosing any more than 20% of his life. Relic seems to the prefer this sort of "controlled" chaos though.

Screenshot270.jpg

Screenshot271.jpg

Screenshot273.jpg

Diablo was a piece of cake. Emilio switched to his 'Strength' Thresher and the crushing blow did the job. Total time from the Hell's Forge waypoint to the Diablo being vanquished was an astonishing fast 50 minutes, players 8 all the way through. I set aside 3 hours but 2/3 of that time wasn't even needed. No notable finds in the latter part of 3 or the entirety of Act 4. Interesting note, Diablo dropped the first green breast plate Relic has seen. This is probably the most amazing part of his journey!

Screenshot279.jpg

For those of you who remember Relic's attempt in Normal to club Diablo with his wand, and the near death experience that ensued, he made sure to get a few revenge wacks in for good measure this time around.

Screenshot281.jpg

Relic the Ironmancer and Emilio the Blessed Aim Desert Guard, Level **, Act V - Hell Harrogath

Last edited:
jiansonz said:
@bladejj: I love your updates.

I did not think PMH works when it's on merc gear, but it seems it does. Cool.
Thanks jiansonz! They are a blast to write. Without this forum and these tournaments I would have stopped playing years ago.

Regarding PMH on mercenaries, I do notice that it has a built in timer. If my mercenary switches targets the previous monster will stop regenerating after a few seconds, but if he stays focused on a single enemy it is more than enough time to get the job done. Perhaps it is the source of the PMH that makes the difference? Ie. PMH on armor from a rune word like venom doesn't apply correctly on mercenaries? I figured I'd give it a shot as I don't recall seeing someone socket a single Mal in a weapon before.

Last edited:
@bladejj - I just have to again second jiansonz and say that I love your updates as well. Fantastic job documenting your journey, I feel like I've been along for the ride! This community is a very special thing. :) Interesting observations about PMH on the merc, as I also thought that it did not apply. Maybe you are right and it depends on the source that it comes from. Either way, good stuff!

Quick table update to show off Relic's progress and add our two new competitors in! Good luck everyone!

--

Code:
The Proven (Guardians):
jiansonz       Sorceress    Sissy          87     ---       Full Game Clear
Pb_pal         Amazon       Calabi         **     ---       Full Game Clear

Table of Heroes:
bladejj        Necromancer  Relic          **     A5(H)     Harrogath
Zylo           Druid        Hoyt           59     A3(NM)    Kurast Docks
sivaeB         Necromancer  Toast          49     A2(NM)    Lut Gholein
felixbavaria   Sorceress    Swoosh         51     A1(NM)    Inner Cloister
Bee            Barbarian    Rocky          48     A1(NM)    Cold Plains
srrw           Druid        PurpleHaze     48     A1(NM)    Rogue Encampment
queenEm        Druid        LittleGirl     45     A1(NM)    Rogue Encampment
djmbbandie     Assassin     Natasha        38     A5        Arreat Plateau
Dazliare       Amazon       RIP_Vladimir   35     A5        Harrogath
kestegs        Necromancer  WallE          32     A4        Pandemonium Fortress
ranagrande     Barbarian    Beldric        28     A3        Kurast Docks
pharphis       Sorceress    SlamDoorsShut  23     A2        Far Oasis
Morathi        Assassin     Carrisa        21     A2        Lut Gholein
Gino           Druid        Gordon         20     A2        Sewers
Jocular        Assassin     ?????          14     A1        Stony Field/Dark Wood(?)
jamesixgun     Druid        John           13     A1        Dark Wood
TrubbaNot      Sorceress    TheManagement  1      A1        Rogue Encampment

The Fallen (RIP):
thefranklin    Druid        FollowTheBear  66     A4(NM)    Diablo
Southpaw8668   Necromancer  Hallow         61     A3(NM)    Great Marsh
Interdasting   Druid        Interdasting   29     A3        Flayer Dungeon
Southpaw8668   Amazon       Contessa       15     A1        Andariel

So a little less playing last week due to computer crash... The graphic card went to Hell but fortunately I could start and be able to save Littlegirl!! I have now been playing him on my other computer and have cleared act1 in NM.

I got a Hel from NM contessa and found two Sandor's superstitions within 3 minutes of playing! Random drops... I have 196 in MF which is fairly good. I have minus in Lightning and Poison immune which will be a problem very soon I suspect. Do I really need to play with a shield? I got a Coldsteel eye from a random monster and that together with a Rhyme shield of some sorts should provide more safety but I like the idea of my crossbow druid!! Any ideas?

LittleGirl, summoner druid, lvl 52 act2 NM, Lut Gholein

queenEm said:
So a little less playing last week due to computer crash... The graphic card went to Hell but fortunately I could start and be able to save Littlegirl!! I have now been playing him on my other computer and have cleared act1 in NM.

I got a Hel from NM contessa and found two Sandor's superstitions within 3 minutes of playing! Random drops... I have 196 in MF which is fairly good. I have minus in Lightning and Poison immune which will be a problem very soon I suspect. Do I really need to play with a shield? I got a Coldsteel eye from a random monster and that together with a Rhyme shield of some sorts should provide more safety but I like the idea of my crossbow druid!! Any ideas?

LittleGirl, summoner druid, lvl 52 act2 NM, Lut Gholein
Shields are an easy source of resists, so that would be one reason to go with them. You could always have a "safety" switch for general running around, and then when you get into fighting position and everything is stabilized, switch over to your xbow and plink away. :) That's essentially how Calabi played. I can say for sure that without that safety switch, she would have almost certainly bit the dust.

Good progress though!

Last edited:
PurePremium
Estimated market value
Low
High