[2015] The Passive Aggressive Tournament [by Pb_pal]

Southpaw8668 said:
@Lord Molybdenum - Welcome to the SPF and good luck in this tournament. It's not too late, since I just entered another myself. What type of Amazon are you playing?
I'm planning on hitting things with a really big stick. I may end up somewhere else, like under the ground.
By the way, I am so bad at this game that I've never actually beaten hell. I almost did once but the character got deleted.

Update: I am currently using a spear with an offhand scepter for undead.

Last edited:
@Lord Molybdenum - Regardless of pace or outcome, I've still had a blast participating in these tournaments and Pb_pal is a wonderful host. I've yet to get a full game clear in a tournament, Act 3 Hell has been my farthest thus far. Following some of the other players will teach you novels of information and reveal parts of this amazing game that you never even imagined. [emoji2]

Lord Molybdenum said:
It's not too late to take part in this, is it? I want to give this a shot.
If so, Passive, Level 1 Amazon - Rogue Encampment
Never too late! Welcome :)

Best of luck to you, and as Southpaw said, there is a TON of information on here to find, and plenty of people eager to answer any questions.

Also, don't worry about the inexperience, Calabi (my zon in this tournament) ended up being my very first Guardian ever, and I definitely had some seriously sloppy moments. Glad to see another passive zon giving it a shot. :)

Last edited:
Pb_pal said:
Never too late! Welcome :)

Best of luck to you, and as Southpaw said, there is a TON of information on here to find, and plenty of people eager to answer any questions.

Also, don't worry about the inexperience, Calabi (my zon in this tournament) ended up being my very first Guardian ever, and I definitely had some seriously sloppy moments. Glad to see another passive zon giving it a shot. :)
Oh, I'm pretty experienced/knowledged. I just suck :D

Last edited:
Introduction

The voices were arguing again.

"This is easily the worst idea I've ever heard," remarked the first. "Not only is the Amazon the only class we don't know how to play, but we have advertised our intentions to the diablo ii community, who we have never interacted with before. That 'could be useful item' thread? Impossible by the standards we've set for ourself. Picking up the game for nostalgia five months ago should have never led to this."

The second voice began a sentence, stopped, and after what seemed like a thoughtful pause—although the voices belonged to no heads—coolly began again. "This is an opportunity to learn something cool about the game. We know all the facts, but we never saw a coherent order of events that saw everything come together at the end. The trapsin we got to act V hell before its unfortunate deletion struggled its way with tiger strike all the way to Tal Rasha's tomb with almost no gear before the great switch. We might not make it, but-"

Voice #1 ferociously broke into this thoughtful monologue. "MIGHT? There isn't even a possibility. We learned that amazons were either bow or javelin. Now that it seems impossible for an amazon to survive without lightning tricks or explosions, YOU want to try a sword. On hardcore. What attracts you to a sword-amazon when a paladin or barbarian will do far better and will be more enjoyable?"

"We don't have to necessarily use a sword..."

A third voice, slightly nervous-sounding and almost sarcastic, interjected. "It doesn't matter." If noise could turn in surprise, the two previously arguing did. "No matter which weapon you use, even if you have the greatest luck ever and find multiple useful, unique weapons while somehow not dying to Duriel, undead soul killers, a random blood hawk, and infinite nightmare Gloams, how exactly are you going to kill physical immunes? No ordinary piece of gear provides that much elemental damage, and magic/passive doesn't convert a percentage either. Are we going to find another Todesfaelle Flamme Zweihander, pardon my French, before we meet the first ghost of hell?"

The second voice stopped dead in its tracks. The first laughed. "See! You haven't even thought about it. You blindly and optimistically ran into danger before even looking ahead. You can't-"

"I wouldn't talk so boldly, Number One," #3 said almost happily. "You can't use that argument when your recommended Paladin and Barbarians don't have reliable non-physical damage either. Even though you said this was impossible, someone tried to improve Number Two's idea instead of outright vetoing it. Interesting that we all want to give this a shot..."

--

Given the history of these voices (which, before you ask... don't actually exist) and the challenge, Passive was the only name suitable for the Amazon. Aggressive belonged to the style she would use. Now, I haven't ever played /players 8 past the cold plains before, but this thread convinced me that it was an excellent idea for multiple reasons. I'm committed to that. Clearing entire areas was also a priority (although I forgot to go into the crypt + mausoleum :eek:).

After sweeping the blood moor once, Passive ventured into the cold plains, but it didn't take long for her to become trapped by bishibosh.

Fortunately, my plan was to get a scepter with +AR and +dmg to undead so that she could handle blood raven, so crushing this area wasn't a huge issue. Coldcrow was actually easy, as the number of light healing potions I stocked up meant she could tank while switching to my temporary, alternate bow-with-topaz that she found.

Of course, as time wore on and I faced harder enemies, I found that 7-17 damage just wasn't enough to handle large packs of 8-player monsters with my lack of skill. I added a spear of maiming (+4 to maximum damage) that I bought from Charsi to her arsenal. This was a little better and she began to poke everything somewhat aggressively, keeping the scepter with its roughly 12-30 damage against undead in reserve.

She enjoyed the spear a bit too much.

(What is she aiming for? The knee? Do Misshapens even have actual knees? :confused:)

While a spear of maiming is good, she eventually found a 3-socket spear and a few chipped gems, which improved her damage even more and allowed her to take down Tristram. I've been unlucky enough with gems to only find one topaz, a ton of amethysts and emeralds, a ruby, two sapphires, and one diamond. I'm against poison damage and I might as well upgrade strength, so those two types will accumulate for a while.

Passive, Level 15 Amazon - Beginning of Black Marsh

@Lord Molybdenum - Great start, and awesome intro post for Passive!

@Southpaw8668 - Are you planning on using conversion at all? I've never personally tried it, but I know others have had good success with it.

I'm going to update the table quickly to get Passive and Isen's new starts in there. :) Good luck everyone!

--

Code:
The Proven (Guardians):
Forum Name       Class        Char Name      LVL    ACT       Area
------------------------------------------------------------------------------
jiansonz         Sorceress    Sissy          87     ---       Full Game Clear
Pb_pal           Amazon       Calabi         **     ---       Full Game Clear
bladejj          Necromancer  Relic          89     ---       Full Game Clear
Table of Heroes:
queenEm          Druid        LittleGirl     60     A3(NM)    Flayer Jungle
Zylo             Druid        Hoyt           59     A3(NM)    Kurast Docks
sivaeB           Necromancer  Toast          49     A2(NM)    Lut Gholein
felixbavaria     Sorceress    Swoosh         51     A1(NM)    Inner Cloister
Bee              Barbarian    Rocky          48     A1(NM)    Cold Plains
srrw             Druid        PurpleHaze     48     A1(NM)    Rogue Encampment
Dazliare         Amazon       RIP_Vladimir   ??     A5        Moo Moo Farm
djmbbandie       Assassin     Natasha        38     A5        Arreat Plateau
kestegs          Necromancer  WallE          32     A4        Pandemonium Fortress
ranagrande       Barbarian    Beldric        28     A3        Kurast Docks
pharphis         Sorceress    SlamDoorsShut  23     A2        Far Oasis
Morathi          Assassin     Carrisa        21     A2        Lut Gholein
Southpaw8668     Paladin      Isen           21     A2        Lut Gholein
Gino             Druid        Gordon         20     A2        Sewers
Lord Molybdenum  Amazon       Passive        15     A1        Black Marsh
Jocular          Assassin     ?????          14     A1        Stony Field/Dark Wood(?)
TrubbaNot        Sorceress    Fine_Whatever  14     A1        Dark Wood
jamesixgun       Druid        John           13     A1        Dark Wood

The Fallen (RIP):
thefranklin      Druid        FollowTheBear  66     A4(NM)    Diablo
Southpaw8668     Necromancer  Hallow         61     A3(NM)    Great Marsh
Interdasting     Druid        Interdasting   29     A3        Flayer Dungeon
TrubbaNot        Sorceress    TheManagement  ??     A2        Far Oasis
Southpaw8668     Amazon       Contessa       15     A1        Andariel

Maaahhhhhhh!!! I am finding exactly nothing of value!!! My merc has 147 in MF added to my own 139. Yes, I have dropped to p1 to try to get some fun int it but now I have reached the City of the Damned WP and still NOTHING!

Grrr... Not even Mephisto caughed up anything good. Baaahhh. I find myself wishing that he could just deed already so that I can start a new char instead...

LittleGirl. summoner druid, lvl 62 City of the Damned NM

After a long internal monologue concerning the single Eth rune I had acquired from the countess, I nearly died. Edit: And oh yeah, I spent a bunch of time on /players 1 like an idiot, not realizing until I was 1-shotting a formidable champion pack.

I ran into a lightning enchanted night (death?) clan, and instead of buying a bow I went for the kill. Unfortunately, I had no lightning resistance except for a +6 to allres amulet and the charged bolts were far more powerful than anticipated.

As you can see from the map, I cleared out the entire barracks except for the smith and the entrance to the Jail. This gave me plenty of room to maneuver if necessary, and I used a long bow + chipped ruby pretty effectively against him. However, I figured that the upcoming fight against Andy would require a greater weapon, so I foolishly used my first imbue for a moderately good cause.

This ended up improving my throwing damage by about 50%, so I wasn't complaining. Oh yes, and it also saved my life soon afterwards, when I was able to kill this guy pretty quickly.

After sweeping the jails, I checked the inner cloister. I actually didn't expect to see anything, and I was very surprised to see that monsters actually do spawn there. If I remember correctly, the corpse next to the waypoint dropped a chipped emerald and some gold. I thought my next goodies would drop at Bone Ash, but a unique dark shaman beat him to it near the entrance to the cathedral.

(Oh yes, I am definitely keeping that)

The catacombs were not a threat. My trident, socketed with two chipped gems gave me decent damage, and if anything tried to kill me I could attack it from afar. I also found a two socket shield at the shop and added chipped emeralds. Combined with a rejuvenation potion, Andy barely lowered my health.

Below are the rewards, including my first unique (a relevant one!). I shouldn't have, but I decided to throw out the imbued axe in favor of Leadcrow. The crystal sword was marginally better than the trident, so I used that and a three socket shield with two chipped diamonds (I like wasting gems).

Upon reaching act two, I finally sold a bunch of scepters worth ~7k each and hired a level 19 offensive merc who's name escapes me. I equipped him with a neat item I found in the stony field.

Passive, Level 20.5 Hybrid Amazon - Act 2
Magic find: 57% on self, 0 on merc.

(Is it advisable to move 18 or 36 of my magic find to my merc if I intend to kill maybe 30% of the monsters?)

Lord Molybdenum said:
(Is it advisable to move 18 or 36 of my magic find to my merc if I intend to kill maybe 30% of the monsters?)
If the mercenary gets the kill, it gets the added value of both your AND their MF put together. On the flip side, you only get credit for the MF your char is physically wearing if you get the kill.

So if you both have, say 18% mf each:
- when you kill: 18% MF is applied.
- when the merc kills: 36% MF is applied.

Whereas if you take the whole 36% on your character, it will be applied for every kill.

For this reason, I load my character up first and foremost with MF, because then no matter who kills, it will be applied. Once your character is full, you can start filling your merc's equipment and let them kill some more to get the extra bonus.

If you haven't read it already, this guide by jiansonz gives a very detailed breakdown of how to maximize you magic finding in the early game in a single-pass atmosphere.

Last edited:
Pb_pal said:
If the mercenary gets the kill, it gets the added value of both your AND their MF put together. On the flip side, you only get credit for the MF your char is physically wearing if you get the kill.

So if you both have, say 18% mf each:
- when you kill: 18% MF is applied.
- when the merc kills: 36% MF is applied.

Whereas if you take the whole 36% on your character, it will be applied for every kill.

For this reason, I load my character up first and foremost with MF, because then no matter who kills, it will be applied. Once your character is full, you can start filling your merc's equipment and let them kill some more to get the extra bonus.

If you haven't read it already, this guide by jiansonz gives a very detailed breakdown of how to maximize you magic finding in the early game in a single-pass atmosphere.
I read that guide after my OP (when I was about to go in the black marsh). I'm a little disappointed in myself for not thinking of searching for a 3 socket ring mail, although I've done everything else to my satisfaction. I think I'll end up attempting something similar to what you recommend if I get that far.

Fun facts: The highest amazon I've ever gotten was level 26 (act 5 normal softcore). The best I've done hardcore is level 27 (didn't die), even though I got level 68 (also didn't die) in d3. Hardcore amazon... well... level 14 :rolleyes:

Last edited:
Isen is having a marvelous time drifting around behind Kasim and blasting him with Holy Bolts when he would occasionally need it if he became severely mobbed by mummies. At which time he would just keep pumping the bolts into the pack until they would eventually reach Kasim. Isen can generally stand their with a few skeletons or mummies slashing at him and barely notice due to his current healing rate. Holy Bolt is starting to pack a bit of a punch finally, where 3-4 bolts will generally take down a Mummy or an Unraveler at full strength. The battle with Duriel after all the false tombs were cleared was done on /p8 and was very passive for Isen as he stode at Duriel's rear and shot Holy Bolts right through him to heal Kasim whenever he needed a boost. He only had to drink a couple of blues before he went down. He dropped a bunch of useless rare items and an Arctic belt. Other items they have found since the last update include a unique Trident, Dimoak's Hew bardiche, Gorefoot boots, Isenhart's sword and Swordback Hold shield. The shield is all he kept to put on switch with his Crushflange mace, which he really hasn't had to use all that often since his +2 Heal scepter has been his primary choice while he stands around doing his Cleric duties. Current MF for Isen is 143 and 188 if Kasim makes the kill which is normally the case.
Screenshot024 (2).jpg
Screenshot025 (1).jpg

Duriel has Kasim pinned up against the entrance wall, but it didn't seem to faze him much as he just keeps jabbing away while I keep him full.
Screenshot031 (1).jpg

Isen and Kasim, Level 28, Kurast Docks

Last edited:
Well Diablo was an easy fight. My bear is superstrong so I just stood there, prepared to resummon him if necessary.

How do I insert the picture like Southpaw did above? I would like to show you the marvelous drop... Also got an Io from Hellstone.

Now moving on to actV. May my drops be better.

LittleGirl, summoner druid, lvl 63 Harrogath NM

queenEm said:
How do I insert the picture like Southpaw did above?
- Upload the picture somewhere on the net (I use photobucket, but there are others)
- Copy the 'direct link' address to the picture
- Click the 'image' button (it's the one to the right of the smilies button) and paste the link there.

Last edited:
jiansonz said:
- Upload the picture somewhere on the net (I use photobucket, but there are others)
- Copy the 'direct link' address to the picture
- Click the 'image' button (it's the one to the right of the smilies button) and paste the link there.
Well I mean how to make the picture show without having to click the link?

Last edited:
Isen and Kasim have made it to The Pandemonium Fortress at a snail's pace as Isen consistently waits on Kasim to get to the killing and stop running around behind him and getting lost around the corner. Managed to find quite a few nice pieces of gear as well as gambling some really sweet MF gloves and boots to boost the collective MF pretty good thus far. Isen has 165 MF and if Kasim gets the kill it's 222. Therefore they have seen the following drops, Iratha's Collar, Hawkmail, Coif of Glory, Cathan's Amulet and Armor, Raven Claw, Sparkling Chain Mail.
Stormtree was of little concern after Isen switched on Salvation and watched Kasim shrug off his powerful bolts.
Stormtree.jpg

Question: If a Steel flail provides 50% OW and the Swordback Hold does as well, does this make OW 100% or still 50%. Reason I ask, is that Isen seems to induce OW almost every strike that connects a bleeding target.
Isen creates a nice bloody pool of Mephisto's blood before the knockdown blow. Perhaps I should have weapon's switched and used the Crushflange for its CB once he was bleeding pretty good to speed it up a bit on /p8. I had to keep switching between Cleansing and Salvation, since what I think was his lightning or possibly his cold strikes was knocking down Isen's health at a pretty good chuck each time he connected. Salvation was much safer overall from his multiple attack types, but still several big purples were consumed.
Mephisto.jpg

Almost every temple they went into along the way to Travincal was a stair trap of some sort. Only one required an immediate exit and some tactical forethought. Isen had to go on the offensive much more starting at that point, which his OW and higher, quicker damage output with the Steel/Swordback Hold combo was excellent for tanking with Kasim on larger, quicker packs.
Sarina's position could not have been any worse for her group, as we beat them to the chokepoint and singled them out wonderfully.
Sarina.jpg

Dozens of attempts have been made for a better crafted Savage polearm for Kasim and this is the best we have come up with. It does a pretty good job, but we can't wait to craft a Insight stick.
Kasim's Wep.jpg

Isen and Kasim, Level 32, The Pandemonium Fortress

Last edited:
@Southpaw8668 - OW works as the sum of all items you have, so 50% flail + 50% shield does indeed = 100% OW. The only exception to this are dual-wielding barbs and assassins using two weapons which provide OW (say, dual-Steel flails). In that case, only the weapon that is doing the hitting has its percentage applied (along with any non-item % as well).

PurePremium
Estimated market value
Low
High