[2006] "Untwinked, Coffin Dodger Hell Journey Tournament" [by Morathi]

Morathi said:
thanks Sidhe. And advice watch out diablo's lighting hurts. It killed my level 1 bear in 2 hits and that is saying something. lol (bears are beasts) i mean my level 1 grizzily had 3200 hp, with the level 14 dire wolves. Dont do what i did which was get to close to diablo's lighting range. Stay well well away from it and just spam bears.

I may rejoin with a new character but i cant think what to make. i may rebuid my hunter but i am not sure

Morathi said:
Code:
Forum Name      Character Name    Class      Build type     lvl    Area
Yourian         Lightningslet     Amazon     Javazon        23     Kurast doks
Cygnus          Penthesilea       Amazon     LF/PJ          22     Halls of the Dead 2
Sidhe           Grim              Druid      Hunter         22     Lut Gholein
Rhaenys         Stark             Assassin   Martial        19     Lut Gholein
Squiggle        Sparkle           Necro      Summoner       16     Jail lvl 3
TheFaceless     TheFacefull       Druid      Werebear       14     Dark Wood
Aerwynd         Rydel             Druid      Fury Wolf       9     Stony Field
Tartanasia      Bennie-K          Sorc       FW/FO           1     Rogue Camp
Jackalope       Elizabeth         Amazon     MS/FA           1     Rogue Camp
Online          Fireworks 2       Assassin   Martial         1     Rogue camp
Morathi         Horatio           Barb       Zerker          1     Rogue Camp

RIP/Retired Chars

Naab            Nikola_Tesla      Paladin    Tesladin       31     CS
Naab            Holy_Cheese       Paladin    Hammerdin      31     CS
Ron             Zamboni           Assassin   Trap/Kick      24     Duriel
pwangsta        Lorahana          Assassin   Hybrid         19     Catacombs L2

I have decided to join back in with a zerker barb. I decided to do this mainly due to readings Nightfish's guide. Also i will be the first out of 17 people to enter the tournament with a barb :undecided: . I am not sure if it will work and i am still very scared when i vs diablo i think if i die to his lighting AGAIN! i will commit suicide.

Insane Wayne said:
Morathi said:
*CRIES* killed by diablo's lighting. I cant believe it i was doing so dam well. I was constantly casting grizzilys trying to get him down. I had to resurect my merc everytime diablo did his lighting attacks. Then when diablo was about half health he did his lighting attack and killed both my merc and my grizzly. I quickly casted another grizzly and the second i casted it he attacked it again with is lighting attack and it went straight him and me. My life bulb went down to 0 in a matter of miliseconds. I had no time to drink a full rejuv, it was to quick. I cant believe it. My first try at HC with a zon died to Normal diablo and now my second attempt at HC dies to diablo again. I really gota think of my next HC character and think HOW THE HELL DO I KILL DIABLO!!.
Ouch! Better luck next time...

For most characters, I've found that Normal Diablo is best handled with a "do-it-yourself" approach. Low-level minions can barely last 2 seconds against Diablo. Same for the merc. Spamming your minions can work if you place them right, but it's tricky. And you just learned (the hard way) what can happen if you're caught exposed.

So pick up a shield, max your resists, and tank him yourself. Use a socketed tower shield with rubies/topaz/diamonds for example. Attack Diablo on the opposite side the merc is. That will allow your merc to hit him unhindered. Place lots of early points in Vitality. If you're lucky you might have some Crushing Blow to use against him. Rixot's, Crushflange, or possibly "Strength". CBF (e.g. Hawkmail) is helpful as long as you can maintain high fire/lightning resists while using it. Monster Slow is also a plus. If you lack attack power, you can still serve as a decoy, allowing your merc to do the damage.

Normal Diablo is one of the toughest obstacles to HC characters. NM and Hell Diablo are a joke in comparison. Don't neglect Vitality! After Diablo you can build Str/Dex as needed.

Good luck with your next char.

Morathi said:
i have taken that into account hence why my level 7 Berserker barb has already got 151 hp (well basically becuase barbs get 4 hp per point in vitality!!!!!!!!!). But thanks for the tip Insane :) *Respect*.

edit- 200th post :)

yourian said:
Code:
Yourian         Lightningslet     Amazon     Javazon        27     River of flames
Cygnus          Penthesilea       Amazon     LF/PJ          22     Halls of the Dead 2

RIP/Retired Chars

I sure can use those tips for diablo! Diablo is next for me. May-b I'm gonna level up a little bit first. or make me a nice resist shield! I got p daimond from hell force hehe..
wish me luck ^^

Drystan said:
Code:
Yourian         Lightningslet     Amazon     Javazon        27     River of flames

RIP/Retired Chars

Nothing more to say, because there is no more. I might rerun Shenk/Eldritch in hope of a few items, but I'm likely to just teleport past most of Act 5. Still poor mans items, but high resists, and good health.

Some tips for the big D? Let's see:
Mellee - there's a point close to Diablo where his Lightning attack actually misses completely. This shows what I mean. Do not rely on this, but it is possible to get into that position.

Max lightning resist and have very high fire (if it can't be max.) (3os Shields are perfect for this!)

Plenty of hitpoints is highly valuable, and I usually spend most of normal putting points into Vit.

If you're ranged, keep the distance. Watch for the specific pre-lightning attack animation, and dodge it.
If mellee, as soon as you notice the animation, run back and angled (preferably away from the minions to prevent cross-fire) in a circle around diablo. He may hit you a bit, but it won't be nearly as bad as taking the full hit. (Resists will help with that bit you do get hit by.)

Hope this helps you against the big guy! ([Edit](And best of luck too!)[/edit])

~Dryst :)

Also, yourian, you may want to make an Intro thread so we know a little about you, (playing style, favourite things, sports, poker?, where you live and how to get there, etc 😁) Just general info, so we know a bit more about you. GL with Big D!

EDIT: Morath, what happened!?! Hope this won't discourage you from HC! Best of luck with your next toon.

bladejj said:
Code:

RIP/Retired Chars

Well another update. Took down Big D without to much trouble. Buy merc, cast shadow master, go through portal and spam traps for 5 seconds...then return to town and repeated about 35 times. Gold left when finished was less than a 1000. And sorry about your loss Morathi. I have a Berserker Barb HC Untwinked in act 2 NM and he is doing great. He is following the rules of this tourney but I think it would be unfair if I added him in at level 56. But the key is a good weapon and maxed war cry, as well as a big mana pool. Some damage goes to mana isn't a bad idea either once you start using berserk (mana leach doesn't work with berserk).

Well onto DejaII finds. I was completely amazed by this drop. This was my first time I've ever found a Sander's Paragon in over 4 years of playing. It dropped from a random pot in the plains for the Frigid Highlands. So that makes a Set and Unique Cap from me in this tourney now the tough part is picking which one to equip. Both have there advantages. Big D dropped me Cleglaws Pincers. They have Knockback and Slow Target which works great with Blade Fury.

Question: We must our socketing quest while we are still in Act V correct? So under no circumstances we could travel back to Normal in order to socket something. I am pretty sure what the answer is but I'll ask it anyways because as of right now I have nothing worth socketing.

Well time to finish off Act V...knock of wood...

yourian said:
Im 21 and just broke up with my girlfriend :( . hehe

I play diablo since euhm long time ^^.
First single player ---> frenzy barb. Finisched the game. That was classic diablo II btw.
I started playing online in version 1.09, played version 1.10. I made a javazon trapsin charge pala axebarb swordbarb fire sorc nova/orb sorc. summon necro poison necro smite pala euhm thats about it ^^. stopped couse all my stuff got stolen. And now i play for a couple of months V1.11 online and i was looking for a cool pala build (dream pala) on this forum, then i saw this thread and thought it was a funny idee. Online I now got an winddruid & firesoso. I still played online then but with all the lag grrrr, so frustrating! So I started playing hc on players8. I chose javazon because on normal @ close range she has huge lightning dmg. Pit lord dies in 1/2 hits now hehe ^^ (players8 ofcourse). And when things get difficult i can saftely stay at distance with lightning fury. And a javazon is great PvM! And hopefully nice vs bosses but im not sure about that hehe

Then i decided to check if i could find this thread again and sign me up. so thats how i came here.

I'm now @school. I dont have much free time, 8,5hours school a day+2 hours traveling time. My sport is taikwando, i do that once a week. And once a week i go to the gym. In the weekend im going after the girls (couse I'm a free man now whaha). And in all of my spare time I play diablo!

I'm from the Netherlands (so i smoke weed)

Yourian

bladejj said:
Code:

RIP/Retired Chars

Well I had a great time in Act V. No NDE's and a couple good drops. First of all I want to show off my new weapon I am very proud of...

Bonesnap
War Club
Two-Hand Damage: 189 to 278
Durability: 60 of 60
Required Strength: 105
Required Level: 30
Mace Class - Slow Attack Speed
Item Version: 1.10 Expansion
Item Level: 60
Fingerprint: 0xaa1c84e
+5 to Dexterity
+257% Enhanced Damage
+55 to Attack Rating
Fire Resist +30%
Cold Resist +30%
Requirements -15%
Required Level +5
200% Damage to Undead
40% Chance of Crushing Blow
Socketed (1: 1 used)

Bitter Talisman Jewel
Required Level: 18
Item Version: 1.10 Expansion
Item Level: 39
Fingerprint: 0x5c7a141
+5 to Dexterity
+16% Enhanced Damage
+55 to Attack Rating
Requirements -15%

It would be better if it would have been etheral but I'm not complaining in Untwinked HC. Normal Baal dropped me the Maul (along with an ethereal Tarnhelm and Kelpie Snare). In order to get the Sol I had to combine all of my Thuls and my 2 Amn's. But I think it was worth it. After I upped it I got larzuk to socket it (P.S. forget about my question in my last post). In order to get the strength requirement lower I socketed it with that decent jewel. I also got Greyform Armor from the Cow King. Not my first, but still a TC3.

Well I think I am done for today. Classes start back up on Thursday so that will cut into my D2 alittle but we will see.

yourian said:
Code:
Yourian         Lightningslet     Amazon     Javazon        32     Frigid H'land

RIP/Retired Chars

bladejj said:
yourian said:
Rune Word Module ---> where can i find it and what is the Rune Word Mod?
It clearly states what the Rune Word Mod (RRM) is in the SPF FQA, which is a stickied thread about 4 threads down from the top. I suggest you read through that, it will answer your question and give you a better understanding of the forum. To answer your question though the RRM is a mod that allows the Bnet rune words to work in Single Player. Lastly you are not allowed to use those Rune Words in this tournament as stated in the rules.

Morathi said:
Question: We must our socketing quest while we are still in Act V correct? So under no circumstances we could travel back to Normal in order to socket something. I am pretty sure what the answer is but I'll ask it anyways because as of right now I have nothing worth socketing.
it is ok for you to go back to normal and socket an item with the quest. However no re-running of areas.

@ drystan if you look a few pages back you will see i got toasted by diablo's lighting. But my zerker barb is doing good i will update later on today.

bladejj said:
Morathi said:
it is ok for you to go back to normal and socket an item with the quest. However no re-running of areas.
Well thank you for clearing that up however I already used it. I was going to just waste it in something I probably was not going to keep but I think I used it wisely on that weapon.

Morathi said:
Code:
Yourian         Lightningslet     Amazon     Javazon        32     Frigid H'land
Morathi         Horatio           Barb       Zerker         25     Arcane Sanc

RIP/Retired Chars

I am a man of my word and will give an update.

Well Horatio is doing good so far. No real NDE's yet. I am starting to max BO and once i hit level 30 i will be maxing War cry in conjunction with BO. Then once that is done i will be maxing Berserk then Howl. As you can see my main attack is not maxed 1st or 2nd. So Normal will be a pain in the A** killing wise. However my survivability will be very good with max BO and War cry. Only downfall will be my damage until i start pumping points into Berserk. This brings me to my question.

What weapon should i try and get? i mean right now i have this weapon.

Cruel Mar
Mace
One-Hand Damage: 4 to 15
Durability: 22 of 60
Required Strength: 27
Required Level: 7
Mace Class - Normal Attack Speed
Item Version: 1.10+ Expansion
Item Level: 14
Fingerprint: 0xd7060121
+1 to Strength
+37% Enhanced Damage
+2 to Maximum Damage
+12 poison damage over 3 seconds
150% Damage to Undead
5% Chance to cast Level 3 Fire Bolt on attack

nothing fancy about it. So i am on the look out for a new weapon. Because i am following Nightfish's guide, he suggests going 2handed so should i try a runeword in a maul or big sword? or should i stay 1handed and shield?. My runeword choices at this point in time is Steel (have runes), malice (dont have runes), Strenght (dont have runes) and black (dont have runes). Advice in this area would be great.

thanks. I will post another update maybe tomorrow night.

Morathi

bladejj said:
Morathi said:
Well Horatio is doing good so far. No real NDE's yet. I am starting to max BO and once i hit level 30 i will be maxing War cry in conjunction with BO. Then once that is done i will be maxing Berserk then Howl. As you can see my main attack is not maxed 1st or 2nd. So Normal will be a pain in the A** killing wise. However my survivability will be very good with max BO and War cry. Only downfall will be my damage until i start pumping points into Berserk. This brings me to my question.
Actually normal is quite easy. I used Concentration most of the way through normal because berserk ate up my mana to quickly. Plus the damage will be better than berserk because you will be maxing Battle Orders. That gives a significant increase to you damage. It wasn't til mid NM that my bAeserk damage caught up with Concen. lso with Concen. you will get a big increase in defense, which is good while you building up War Cry. I was lucky enough to gamble a Maul in Act II that had CtC Amplify Damage. But for now in the game your weapon lucks good enough to get you through Act 3 and 4.

Edit: Haha I was just looking at the modifiers, and just noticed you had a Mace. I thought you had a 2-h maul. I would suggest gambling a Maul. It would really help out you damage. I wouldn't worry about not having a shield as you CtB is probably really low because you have no points in Dex.

Morathi said:
because you will be maxing Battle Orders. That gives a significant increase to you damage.
one Battle Orders increases your life/mana/stamina not your damage.

Second if i was to get a maul wouldn't be too slow? because there isnt any real quick mauls (at this point) unless i get a sheal and some off gear ias but i have neither.

PurePremium
Estimated market value
Low
High