[2006] Obsession Tournament [by Wolron]

Clobber has progressed to the middle of Act 2. He has used the CUBE to assemble the Horadric Staff and now must tackle the local harem. His best item found is:

Russet Ring of the Leech
Required Level: 10
Item Version: 1.10+ Expansion
Item Level: 15
Fingerprint: 0x365231a4
Fire Resist +17%
3% Life stolen per hit

Fire resistance is no problem at this point. Cold resist is at 50. He is using a Sceptor with a chipped ruby and a chipped saphire. Not overly powerful, but it gets the job done as long as my cold arrow rogue merc is on the job. Now that the cube is available, I hope to build some better gems and fashion a new whacker.

Score:
15 way points: 15
8 quests: 16
1 obsession skill maxed out: 5
Total Score is 36

Code:
ALIVE
Score Character      Class       Forum Name        Level   Act    WP
 73   Paul           Druid       Naab               33     A5     Harrogath
 36   Clobber        Barbarian   Wolron             25     A2     Lost City
 31   BrassMonkey    Paladin     waflob             20     A2     Lut Gholein
 21   FoulKrack      Zon         Saucy              16     A2     Lut Gholein
  7   Obsessive      Assassin    OneFromBeyond      12     A1     Stony Field
  6   PosadnutaAma   Amazon      Kugel              12     A1     Cold Plains
  4   StaticBabe     Sorceress   Quickdeath          7     A1     Cold Plains
  4   Nerullan       Necromancer Sir Lister of Smeg  6     A1     Cold Plains    
  1   HoldYourColour Assassin    Tartanasia          1     A1     Rogue Camp
  1   Clean_Hands    Assassin    JoeBruce            1     A1     Rogue Camp
  1   Ned            Paladin     'poops              1     A1     Rogue Camp
  1   Karmesha       Amazon      moiselvus           1     A1     Rogue Camp

DEAD/RETIRED

Went through act 1, I'm a hair under level 20 which seems really high since I've only been killing whats in my way. Andy dropped crap as usual, but I did find a felloak, so I'll never have under max light res. Making dex my obsession attribute is something I won't be doing on any other chars I don't think, as I get to about half health in one hit from certain tainted and banished packs. I'm glad I can finally ditch the rogue merc, absolutely worthless tank, keeps running around so I get all the hits.

Score:
10 way points: 10
5 quests: 10

Total Score is 20

Code:
ALIVE
Score  Character     Class       Forum Name        Level   Act    WP
 20   mad_hatter     Amazon      skoolbus           19     A2     Lut Gholein

DEAD/RETIRED

OK so i'ma join you all in this unreasonable quest with my choice of everything being random (using a coin to determine all my choices - hero/1st skill obsession, elemental obsession, stats obsession) and it turned out surprisingly nice. I was almost stuck with smite as my 1st skill obsession.

I'll start playing when I get home from the movies tonight.

Paladin
1st skill Obsession - Charge
Elemental Obsession - Fire
Stats Obsession - Vitality

Score:
0 way points: 0
0 quests: 0

Total Score is 0

Code:
ALIVE
Score  Character     Class       Forum Name        Level   Act    WP
 20   mad_hatter     Amazon      skoolbus           19     A2     Lut Gholein
  1   Infraction       Paladin      PsychoPath           1     A1     Rogue Camp

DEAD/RETIRED

I am seriously considering joining. This has the restrictions that appeal to me, and although I don't have a ton of time I do think I have enough. I'll have to make a Plan.

Couple of questions.

1) Supposing I make it all the way to Nightmare. Supposing I haven't found the unique/exceptional/set items to fill slots. Must I strip the normal items at that point, perhaps entering NM with no weapon, for example?

2) Supposing I start a sorceress whose first obsession is Enchant: Do I put only one point into the prerequisite & synergy Warmth until I can start putting points into Enchant, or do I keep putting points into Warmth until I get there?

3) So far it doesn't look like anyone has gone this route. Is that because it's too easy/cheesy?

on edit: regarding #3 ... I've never played a pure single-tree Enchant-only sorc, and it seems like having to max Fire Mastery before adding a second-tree skill would make this challenging, but perhaps I'm way wrong and should choose a different obsession.

PsychoPath said:
Now that I think about it, I'm presuming we cannot use our original gear as it does not contain any mods. Is this the case? I suppose I'll wait for an answer on this Q b4 starting my journey.
This question was asked before, and cleared up by Wolron: you can use your starting gear, just not any skills on it that is not your obsession skill.

@Skoolbus: someone did make a guardian in the pure dex amazon tourney.

@Wolron: just one clarification still needed, before it becomes relevant by me finding some gear like this:
Can an item with +to all skills or +to all class skills or +to all skill tab skills be used? In the case of +to all class skills, I mean one with +to the class I'm playing, and in the case of +to skill tab, I mean one with a skill tab containing my obsession (or second or third obsession later in game). This specific question is assuming the gear does not have my obsession attribute, nor my obsession element.

Last edited:
Sir Lister of Smeg said:
@Skoolbus: someone did make a guardian in the pure dex amazon tourney.

@Wolron: just one clarification still needed, before it becomes relevant by me finding some gear like this:
Can an item with +to all skills or +to all class skills or +to all skill tab skills be used? In the case of +to all class skills, I mean one with +to the class I'm playing, and in the case of +to skill tab, I mean one with a skill tab containing my obsession (or second or third obsession later in game). This specific question is assuming the gear does not have my obsession attribute, nor my obsession element.
I know it's possible, but I think this is harder because I get three skills max, I have to socket armor and helms with a emerald so I have one less spot for rubys and I have yet to find any jewelry I can use.

Found this godly somewhere along the way
Jewel of Daring
Required Level: 5
Item Level: 10
Fingerprint: 0xb047850d
+3 to Dexterity
now I can use any item I want as long as it has at least one socket. Oh yeah.

In answer to your other question, I'm pretty sure he's said the answer is no.

Wolron said:
Equipment:

In addition, when you get to NM difficulty, you are limited to the following item types for all equipment:
- Any Set Items with some reference to one of your elemental obsessions.
- Any Unique Items with some reference to one of your elemental obsessions.
- Exceptional Items with some reference to one of your elemental obsessions.

Finally, if you get to Hell Difficulty, you are limited to Elite items and exceptional (or elite) set or unique items. Again, these items must have some reference to your elemental obsession.
Sorry to bother you with more questions, but as I looked at the different gear possibilyties with matching of elemental/attributal allowence.
Anyway, stated in the quote is that in nm we can only use certain items with some reference to uor elemental obsession, does this mean that the attributeobsession is kinda out of play? Does this mean that if I find a unique with +5 to str (if str is my obsession) I can still not use it unless it also has something to do with fire? (assuming fire is my element)
And also, lets say I am a necromancer using the normal summoningroute, but having poison as my element, I go to akara and she want to sell me a wand with lovely +3 rs/+3 sm, the wand also happens to have +1 to POISONexplosion, that is the word poison, but does it count as a qualifier?
Similar happening: Can a Pnovamancer with fireobsession use magefists due to the +1 to FIREskills?

TrubbaNot said:
I am seriously considering joining. This has the restrictions that appeal to me, and although I don't have a ton of time I do think I have enough. I'll have to make a Plan.

Couple of questions.

1) Supposing I make it all the way to Nightmare. Supposing I haven't found the unique/exceptional/set items to fill slots. Must I strip the normal items at that point, perhaps entering NM with no weapon, for example?

2) Supposing I start a sorceress whose first obsession is Enchant: Do I put only one point into the prerequisite & synergy Warmth until I can start putting points into Enchant, or do I keep putting points into Warmth until I get there?

3) So far it doesn't look like anyone has gone this route. Is that because it's too easy/cheesy?

on edit: regarding #3 ... I've never played a pure single-tree Enchant-only sorc, and it seems like having to max Fire Mastery before adding a second-tree skill would make this challenging, but perhaps I'm way wrong and should choose a different obsession.
(1) Yes, but remember, any set or unique items with your obsession referred to are still usable. Also, you (if you have the gems and runes) can upgrade a rare normal item to a rare exceptional item. One of the keys to the tournament is preparing for this during acts 4 and 5. A similar difficulty will occur at the end of NM, except, I think it will be easier to upgrade the uniques that you have to exceptional because (if you get that far) you will have lots of perfect gems and nice runes.

(2) You may load up warmth if you like before you get enchant. But remember, you will need about level 60 before you can max out Enchant, warmth and fire mastery. That probably means only one more obsession skill. But, maybe that's ok.

(3) It does look like it should work pretty well. The only reason in my mind is that it has been done recently in the Enchantress tournament. From my own experience, it is not easy. Remember, the weapon you find is very important.

Sir Lister of Smeg said:
No to all of the above. The only way that an obsession skill can qualify an item is to have that specific skill be mentioned. That could be on a +mod:

Example: I found the following Unique Battle Staff in my archives. If your obsession skill is enchant and you do not have fire as your elemental obsession, you could not use it! The same would be true if you had +2 to all skills or +2 to sorceress skills instead of the +2 to fire skills.

The Salamander
Battle Staff
Two-Hand Damage: 6 to 13
Durability: 26 of 40
Required Level: 21
Staff Class - Normal Attack Speed
Item Level: 44
Fingerprint: 0x99459820
Fire Resist +30%
Adds 15-32 fire damage
+2 to Fire Ball (Sorceress Only)
+1 to Fire Wall (Sorceress Only)
+3 to Warmth (Sorceress Only)
150% Damage to Undead
+2 to Fire Skills

zarfen said:
Sorry to bother you with more questions, but as I looked at the different gear possibilyties with matching of elemental/attributal allowence.
Anyway, stated in the quote is that in nm we can only use certain items with some reference to uor elemental obsession, does this mean that the attributeobsession is kinda out of play? Does this mean that if I find a unique with +5 to str (if str is my obsession) I can still not use it unless it also has something to do with fire? (assuming fire is my element)
And also, lets say I am a necromancer using the normal summoningroute, but having poison as my element, I go to akara and she want to sell me a wand with lovely +3 rs/+3 sm, the wand also happens to have +1 to POISONexplosion, that is the word poison, but does it count as a qualifier?
Similar happening: Can a Pnovamancer with fireobsession use magefists due to the +1 to FIREskills?
Oh Crap!!! I did not mean that! Scratch the word elemental from all of those. NM or Hell has the same requirement for references to obsessions, it is just the change from normal item to exceptional to elite that comes into play!!

As for the poison explosion reference, Yes, the word poison is all that is needed. It does not have to refer to a resistance or a damage mod. Same goes for the fire skills when fire is your elemental obsession. The Word Fire is there and the item can be used.

Docturnal said:
Nice idea. Sadly I cant participate due to me still playing 1.10. I do wish you guys luck and hope to see something similar in the future, when my synergy bug dentist is finished.
Well, I put the requirement of 1.11 in because that is the requirement that is typically used in tournaments that I have participated in. I sure hate to eliminate you from joining in unless there is some good reason for barring 1.10.

Is there any reason why 1.10 is easier??? (what is the synergy bug!!)

If not, I would drop that restriction. Even if I do not drop the restriction, join in anyway. If you win, the second place obsessor will be declared the winner and you will get an honorable mention!😃

Wolron, there are very few differences between 1.10 and 1.11 or 1.11b. There shouldn't be any much trouble allowing 1.10 players to participate (most tournies allow any version 1.10 or higher).

Still contemplating my build for this... I want to do something I haven't tried before, which really narrows it down to a few main skills... but I also want to have a chance to progress untwinked, which rules out a couple of those ideas. We'll see. Something to ponder on the plane tomorrow :brainiac:

This looks like a great tourney idea, Wolron! I'm thinking about joining with a necromancer. The plan at this point is to obsess on Amp Damage, and then Corpse Explosion, and then Raise Skeleton and its synergies. This is backwards from how a normal Skelemancer proceeds, so his name should be Reversomancer. Starting with Raise Skeleton would be much quicker to get going, but it would mean no choices until level 60 or so, and no cursing. The problem with this reverse approach is that it will not be fun to be a skelemancer with no skeletons for a long time. Maybe it would be better to do Amp, then Skellies, then CE. I'm worried that the "no rerunning areas" rule will cause me problems, as usually I patiently rerun areas if I am not feeling confident about progressing onward. I'm still thinking about the elemental choice but the attribute obession should be vitality, I think.

PurePremium
Estimated market value
Low
High