[2006] Obsession Tournament [by Wolron]

Wow, this is interesting. Melee chars will have big problems tho. Either they wont be able to hit/block, or wont be able to wield weapons/carry armor or have stupidly low life :undecided:

I'll probably join anyway, just need to decide on my build.

Uff, no scrolls, no keys.. this is kinda hard. bul i'll try it. I dont play hardcore anyway and im very curious how far i can get without twinking :).

Forum name: Kugel
Character Type: Amazon
Character Name: PosadnutaAma
First Obsession Skill: Magic Arrow
Elemental Obsession: Lightning
Attribute Obsession: Vitality

i choose ama bc/ they tend to survive well, can attack from range, and have very well organized skilltree for this tournament. I picked Magic arrow. I has no prereqs and no synergies and i can use it right from the start. Lightning (most important resistance) is an obvious choice. And vitality? what to say? :-D

I have 1 question... if an item has +2to all skills, this counts in as skill obsession and i can use it, right?

edit: I assume I can pick up any items Identify them (scrolls allowed?) and store them for future use( for example: jewels for crafting). I also assume I can pick up any items and sell them.

I already sold my starting eqipment bc/ i dont know if i can use it.

Anyway pls say that TP scrolls and ID scrolls are allowed :). I dont like selling stuff and buying it back :) if its useful.
If i made any mistakes and find out later i will restart.

edit2: More Questions.

Are pots allowed(any kind?)?
Is it allowed to go back to town and get healed (by Akara)? B/C thats what im doing right now.

Am i allowed to wear cube in my inventory (stash should be allowed)?

Probably a bit cheesy, but I don't think I'll have tons of time for this, but would like to give it a go anyway.

Class: Paladin
Name: BrassMonkey
Skill Obsession: Zeal
Stat Obsession: Life
Element Obsession: Lightning

The plan is to go with holy freeze as the second skill, but first I have to get that far :)

Zeal only has one synergy and once HF is on the go, that should keep me from needing to decide about a third skill. Merc will almost certainly be blessed aim. The hope is that choosing lite as the element means that I can stack up on lite damage charms for those ci/pi monsters, again, if I get that far :)

DelBoy

Code:
ALIVE
Score Character      Class         Forum Name      Level  Act    WP
  6   Clobber        Barbarian     Wolron          11     A1     Cold Plains
  1   HoldYourColour Assassin      Tartanasia       1     A1     Rogue Camp
  1   Clean_Hands    Assassin      JoeBruce         1     A1     Rogue Camp
  1   FoulKrack      Zon           Saucy            1     A1     Rogue Camp
  1   Ned            Paladin       'poops           1     A1     Rogue Camp
  1   BrassMonkey    Paladin       waflob           1     A1     Rogue Camp
DEAD/RETIRED

We'll see how far i can get.

Class: Druid
Name: Paul
Skill Obsession: Oak Sage
Stat Obsession: Vitality
Element Obsession: Lightning

Code:
ALIVE
  1   Paul           Druid         Naab             1     A1     Rogue camp
DEAD/RETIRED

This started out fun. P8 and punched whole Blood Moor to death and almost whole Den of Evil. Right before I had to deal with the Unique zombie there a topaz chipie dropped. Bought a 3os short bow and sockedet with cTopaz, cRuby and cSaphire and i finaly could use my magic arrow skill and it was piece of cake from there.

Blood raven took a while to kill. Had to return once to get healed. Most dangerous moment so far was engaging ColdCrow. Damn being chilled sux.

Right now i have 3os HunterBow w/ cTopaz, cSaphire and jewel of Envy. Gave my first bow to my mercenary.

I assume I can use arrows to go with my bow right?

Added myself to the table.

Code:
ALIVE
  6   PosadnutaAma   Amazon        Kugel           12     A1     Cold Plains
  1   Paul           Druid         Naab             1     A1     Rogue camp
DEAD/RETIRED

Saucy said:
When I chose and obsession skill and it has multiple synergies, do I have to max out each synergy one at a time or in any order? Or can you spread out the points unitl they are all maxed out?
You can fill them up in any order. You can keep them all even by spreading the points over all of them. No restrictions at all. Except you can only use the obsession skill.

Last edited:
Hi,
2 small questions that don't appear to be already answered ...

Firstly, can the item have +skills to the synergy ? or is it _only_ the obsessed skill ?

Secondly, if my obsessed attribute is vitality, can I use life-steal gear ?

many thx in advance

DelBoy

ps - third question :)
for the vitality gear, would I be right in thinking that it has to say +1 to vitality ? +1 to life is no good ?

sirpoopsalot said:
... with Vigor as a Charge synergy from a different tree, I assume it's ok if I choose that as my second obsession skill? I understand that I'll need to max it and Might before I can use Vigor, but I just want to make sure that you don't find this too cheesy...

Also, the unable to re-run areas rule kindof sucks for non-cookie cutters - I would have thought that sticking with the tourney theme, each character can pick one (and only one) monster that they can run - but if you do, you must perform some ridiculous number of runs (200, 500, etc.) and you can't quest beyond that until the runs are completed... :evil:
It is definitely OK to go with charge and then vigor. I call that a good strategy.

Your rerun thought has artistic merit, but I think that this tournament already has enough obsessive rules. There are people that hate the repetitiveness of running an area or a boss. In case it is not obvious, I am one of them. You might recall the "tournament of the ring" where you had to run Baal on each difficulty level until he dropped a ring. That was the only time that I ran a boss, and it was how I died (NM Baal on the 8th run as I recall). I simply got bored to tears and had a mental lapse while clearing out his minions (Lister of course). So.... no running.

Kugel said:
Uff, no scrolls, no keys.. this is kinda hard. bul i'll try it. I dont play hardcore anyway and im very curious how far i can get without twinking :).
Holy cats!!!! Don't go overboard!! You can carry keys, scrolls, tombs, potions. It is just the charms that are limited! They are limited because you are not allowed to enhance your other elementals through them.

Kugel said:
I have 1 question... if an item has +2to all skills, this counts in as skill obsession and i can use it, right?

edit: I assume I can pick up any items Identify them (scrolls allowed?) and store them for future use( for example: jewels for crafting). I also assume I can pick up any items and sell them.

I already sold my starting eqipment bc/ i dont know if i can use it.

Anyway pls say that TP scrolls and ID scrolls are allowed :). I dont like selling stuff and buying it back :) if its useful.
If i made any mistakes and find out later i will restart.

edit2: More Questions.

Are pots allowed(any kind?)?
Is it allowed to go back to town and get healed (by Akara)? B/C thats what im doing right now.

Am i allowed to wear cube in my inventory (stash should be allowed)?
The rules are:

For the skill obsessions, the exact skill must be on the item as a skill mod or a Chance to Cast (CTC).

That means that you will have to find items with +2 to all skills and also some reference to your obsessions. Otherwise you will have to either drop it, sell it or socket it. I can hardly wait until I find an amulet with +2 to all skills and then continue to use my amulet with +15 fire resistance.:shocked:

As for your other questions, you can use any potions, any scrolls. You can carry and save any runes/gems/jewels. You can sell items, buy items, gamble items. You can get healed. You can use your cube that you find in Act 2. You can carry your cube with you or leave it in your stash. You... Well, you can do most anything that is not carefully disallowed in the rules.

Kugel said:
I assume I can use arrows to go with my bow right?

Added myself to the table.
Yes, you can use arrows. I would have chosen magic arrow as my first skill for an Amazon also. I am glad to hear that it is working out. Are you planning to get a javelin skill for your second skill or move immediately on to the Valkyrie??? The Valkyrie seems right, but you give up an opportunity to score on all three skills.

waflob said:
Hi,
2 small questions that don't appear to be already answered ...

Firstly, can the item have +skills to the synergy ? or is it _only_ the obsessed skill ?

Secondly, if my obsessed attribute is vitality, can I use life-steal gear ?

many thx in advance

DelBoy

ps - third question :)
for the vitality gear, would I be right in thinking that it has to say +1 to vitality ? +1 to life is no good ?
First, the rule on the skill obsession is:

For the skill obsessions, the exact skill must be on the item as a skill mod or a Chance to Cast (CTC).

The exact skill is your obsession skill, not the synergies.

Second, the vitality obsession must have the specific word "Vitality". Not life or life steal or.... Similar rule for Energy. Mana does not count. The word on the item must be "Energy".

thanks for the fast replies.

Started and got my pally up to about lvl 9 or 10. You wouldn't believe the number of items I've had to sell, because the wrong mods were on it. I'm still using the starter sword and I still have to find a belt. Also, it's really wierd finding life charms and not using them - first time I've done that !

On the plus side, I've found a chipped topaz and even a gem shrine to up it. All I need now is a weapon to put it in. Also, the pally shields are all good (res all).

back to the hack 'n' slash ...

DelBoy

Wolron said:
Yes, you can use arrows. I would have chosen magic arrow as my first skill for an Amazon also. I am glad to hear that it is working out. Are you planning to get a javelin skill for your second skill or move immediately on to the Valkyrie??? The Valkyrie seems right, but you give up an opportunity to score on all three skills.
Hey, your giving away my build here. Sounds like there may be 2 magic arrow/valks in this.

Wolron said:
Holy cats!!!! Don't go overboard!! You can carry keys, scrolls, tombs, potions. It is just the charms that are limited! They are limited because you are not allowed to enhance your other elementals through them.
So on Charms, same rules apply. Charm must have the the one of the obsession itmes on it and anything else it does is just a bonus? Is that correct?

§Hex Vex§ said:
Am I right though to assume that if an item can have any kind of mods added on as long as it meets one of the requirements?
Yep, that's the idea. Find as much extra capability on that item that you can. As long as it qualifies by having one reference to one obsession, you can use all the other things that it has.

Saucy said:
Hey, your giving away my build here. Sounds like there may be 2 magic arrow/valks in this.
First, I have to kill off my barbarian (Clobber). Then, I might try a Paladin before trying an Amazon. The ones that I will try to avoid are necromancer/druid/assassin. They seem to be too challenging.
Well, maybe the necro is doable.

Clarification:

If you have "POISON" as your elemental obsession, you can use an item that refers to the poison javelin amazon skill. Of course, you cannot use the poison javelin skill unless you have that skill as your obsession. Nonetheless, since the word poison appears on the item, you can use it.

The same is true of the other elemental and attribute obsessions. The word is all that is needed.

On the other hand, if an item is to qualify to be used due to a skill, the item must have the explicit obsession skill either as a skill mod or a CTC. Synergies to your obsession skill are not enough to qualify. + to all skills is not enough to qualify. + to a particular skill tree that contains your obsession skill is not enough to qualify.

Diablo 4 Interactive Map
PurePremium
Estimated market value
Low
High