[2006] Obsession Tournament [by Wolron]

I'm going to try this out:
Class: Assassin
Name: Obsessive
ObsessionSkill: DragonTalon
ObsessionElemental: Lightning
ObsessionAttribute: Vitality

One questions before I start...can I use Venom as my second Obsession if Lightning is my obsession elemental?

*OneFromBeyond

i think so... im using magic arrow and have lightning obsession... your elemental obsession doesn't restrict your skill choices.

Wolron:
Yes after I max magic arrow, i'll go for a javelin skill b/c valkyrie has like 5 synergies and i would never get the chance to get 3rd skill ;-)

my only concern so far is getting to NM and not having items of sufficient quality. :-D

I'll give this a try, but before I start, I do have some questions:

1. If I choose skill X as my first obsession, can I freely put points in the synergies first, or do I have to start maxing skill X first?
Say I choose a level 30 skill as first obsession that has as synergies a level 1 skill, 5 level 6 skills, and four level 18 skills, can I start pumping those straight away (not using them actively of course, but if some are passive this can be quite nice, in any case, it will, most of the time, mean that the level 30 skill will do a lot of damage from the time I get it, for a relatively low mana cost)
2. Can I start some of the characters simultaneously? I assume all will die eventually, this way I can compare the different classes. (I can of course still not compare the five or so different paladin builds I thought of, that class seems to be made for this tourney, especially in outlook, at least that's my D&D-based view on paladins)

Omg i didnt know full clears were so boring:shocked:

Code:
ALIVE
Score Character      Class         Forum Name      Level  Act    WP
  14  Paul           Druid         Naab            17     A1     Outer Cloister
  6   PosadnutaAma   Amazon        Kugel           12     A1     Cold Plains
  6   Clobber        Barbarian     Wolron          11     A1     Cold Plains
  1   HoldYourColour Assassin      Tartanasia       1     A1     Rogue Camp
  1   Clean_Hands    Assassin      JoeBruce         1     A1     Rogue Camp
  1   FoulKrack      Zon           Saucy            1     A1     Rogue Camp
  1   Ned            Paladin       'poops           1     A1     Rogue Camp
  1   BrassMonkey    Paladin       waflob           1     A1     Rogue Camp

DEAD/RETIRED

OneFromBeyond said:
I'm going to try this out:
Class: Assassin
Name: Obsessive
ObsessionSkill: DragonTalon
ObsessionAttribute: Vitality

One questions before I start...can I use Venom as my second Obsession if Lightning is my obsession elemental?

*OneFromBeyond
Yes, you can use the Skill "Venom" as your second obsession skill. Your elemental skill does not tie you into having a similar obsession in the skill arena (or visa versa).

As for the 2 socket question. Yes, use the first socket to get your obsession reference, and then you are free to socket the second spot with anything you like.

Sir Lister of Smeg said:
I'll give this a try, but before I start, I do have some questions:

1. If I choose skill X as my first obsession, can I freely put points in the synergies first, or do I have to start maxing skill X first?
Say I choose a level 30 skill as first obsession that has as synergies a level 1 skill, 5 level 6 skills, and four level 18 skills, can I start pumping those straight away (not using them actively of course, but if some are passive this can be quite nice, in any case, it will, most of the time, mean that the level 30 skill will do a lot of damage from the time I get it, for a relatively low mana cost)
2. Can I start some of the characters simultaneously? I assume all will die eventually, this way I can compare the different classes. (I can of course still not compare the five or so different paladin builds I thought of, that class seems to be made for this tourney, especially in outlook, at least that's my D&D-based view on paladins)
(1) Yes. Valkyrie is a good example. You could put points in Critical Strike and other passive skills to get their advantages before you put anything in Valkyrie. In fact, if you wanted to wait until all your synergies are maxed before putting anything in your obsession skill, that is fine.
(2) Well, I guess you can. In fact, I am tempted to do the same now that you mention the possibility. However, I am getting kind of attached to "Clobber" so I will finish him (off) before experimenting with others. I agree with your assessment of the Paladin; at a first glance, he seems to have several good possibilities.

Naab said:
Omg i didnt know full clears were so boring:shocked:
Well, you don't need to do full clears if you don't want to. You probably do full clears for two reasons: First, it allows you to level up faster. Second, it gives you an opportunity to find more good items. Neither reason is valid!

What little extra experience you get early in the game will not account for much later on when it takes millions of experience points to make another level. Although finding items is possible, it may be just as easy to buy them or gamble them. Of the items I am currently using, most of them were bought.

My own strategy will be to do full clears when it is convenient. That means, if I find the WP or the exit from an area and the area is not cleared, I must make a decision as to whether or not the area that I may miss is likely to reap any rewards. Sometimes the answer will be no.

Code:
ALIVE
  14  Paul           Druid         Naab            17     A1     Outer Cloister
  4   Obsessive      Assassin      OneFromBeyond    8     A1     Cold Plains

DEAD/RETIRED

Obsessive has started her career, specializing in Lightning, Vitality and the skill Dragon Talon. I am still using my starting shield, and the following:

Tangerine Helm
Defense: 15
Durability: 24 of 24
Required Strength: 26
Required Level: 3
Item Version: 1.10+ Expansion
Item Level: 11
Fingerprint: 0xa85b28cc
Lightning Resist +7%

Eagle Splitter
Hand Axe
One-Hand Damage: 3 to 6
Durability: 28 of 28
Axe Class - Normal Attack Speed
Item Version: 1.10+ Expansion
Item Level: 1
Fingerprint: 0x9b0b79ca
+11 to Attack Rating
Adds 1-3 lightning damage
+6 poison damage over 2 seconds
50% Damage to Undead
+60 to Attack Rating against Undead

As I have Vitality as my main skill, the equipping of items with my low strength will be my main challenge. Here's hoping for some nice boots with Lightning Resist coming soon!

I'm also thinking of starting a few more characters when this one dies...

*OneFromBeyond

Killed Andy,easy even on p8.

Code:
ALIVE
  21  Paul           Druid         Naab            20     A2     Lut Gholein

DEAD/RETIRED

A word about "SET" items.

You may find a set item that appears to be useless. Look closely at the possibility of getting set bonus mods. For instance, if you have a set item that will give you +10 to all resistances when a second set item is worn with it, save it and you may be able to wear it later.

Finally decided what to do. Gonna be a pain getting to lvl 24, but after that it wont be so bad.

Class: Amazon
Name: mad_hatter
ObsessionSkill: Strafe
ObsessionAttribute: Dex

Being a rebel and obsessing with dex, should make for massive damage if I live long enough. I can no think of what I'm going to do for PI's because any semi useful lightning skill has a bajillion synergies and I want to make valk another obsession so I can pump pierce and whatnot.

edit: just started, this is me with 0 xp and is without a doubt the best start to a char I've ever heard of, now to hope I can use some of them.

Andariel was no problem. Clobber had just maxed out his Mace Mastery, so he was doing decent damage and quite a bit of it was fire damage. He has switched from his free merc to a cold arrow merc and will use that until he can hire a cold merc in Act 3. In other words, Clobber is going to be the tank for his merc.

So far he has found no good items. His best item is probably that large shield with 3 diamond chips in it. He does have an Arctic binding, a Cleglaw's Claw and a unique club (Stoutnail). But they will probably not be used. He is just holding on to them in case he can find some of the matching set items. Oh, the Stoutnail is being kept just because it looks so good. However, there is just something about it that doesn't feel right.

It is time to declare his second Obsession Skill: The decision came down to leap attack, whirlwind or berserk.

Whirlwind would have been nice because it would be maxed out by the end of Normal difficulty (almost). Unfortunately it uses a lot of mana and only does physical damage.

Leap attack is tempting because of the amount of damage it does and the fact that you can run away easily when you need to. Unfortunately, it does only physical damage.

Berserk is the choice. The main reason is the magic damage that it does. The disadvantage is that it will not be maxed out until early Hell difficulty. Of course, by that time Shout and Howl will also be maxed and my third skill will be one of the war cries that have shout or howl as a synergy (Battle Command, War Cry or Battle Orders).

Score:
10 way points: 10
6 quests: 12
1 obsession skill maxed out: 5
Total Score is 27

Code:
ALIVE
 27   Clobber        Barbarian     Wolron          20     A2     Lut Gholein
 21   Paul           Druid         Naab            20     A2     Lut Gholein

DEAD/RETIRED

Foul has completed act 1 so far. She hasn't quite maxed out Magic Arrow yet, she's only level 16 right now. Andy fell very easly but then she's using /players 1.

Score:
9 way points: 9

Total Score is 21

Code:
ALIVE
 21   FoulKrack      Zon           Saucy           16     A2     Lut Gholein

DEAD/RETIRED

skoolbus said:
Finally decided what to do. Gonna be a pain getting to lvl 24, but after that it wont be so bad.

Class: Amazon
Name: mad_hatter
ObsessionSkill: Strafe
ObsessionAttribute: Dex

Being a rebel and obsessing with dex, should make for massive damage if I live long enough. I can no think of what I'm going to do for PI's because any semi useful lightning skill has a bajillion synergies and I want to make valk another obsession so I can pump pierce and whatnot.

edit: just started, this is me with 0 xp and is without a doubt the best start to a char I've ever heard of, now to hope I can use some of them.
what about Poison Javelin?It's got only 2 skills to max and does decent damage and then you can complete your 3nd obsessive skill too(prolly pierce or penetrate).If you get so far ofcause.😃

@wolron what are your plans weapon wise?

sorry to bug you with more questions, but I really don't want to foul up and have to retire ...

Here's an example of something that is unclear to me. If, for the sake if argument, I'm using zeal as my first obsession skill and I find a sceptre with +1 to zeal and +1 to (say) holy fire. Can I use the holy fire aura on the weapon ? The +1 to zeal makes the weapon valid, but what about the use of other skills that the item may have.

Also, as an aside, I really must moan more about the lack of decent items. Shortly after my last post, I found an ammy with lite res and +2 str, as well as a belt with the same mods. What I really need are gloves and rings. All other slots are filled with suitable gear. Actually, does anyone know if lite res can spawn on normal gloves ? I've just gambled 100k in gold looking for gloves to wear and found lots of really useful items, but nothing with lite res or damage. Quite depressing really ...

DelBoy

edit: the whining tactic works again :) I've just used the imbue quest on some gloves and finally (!) got some with lite res (and some mf, but not much else useful)

BrassMonkey has completed act 1 and is lvl 20. Complete clear on /p 8. Still looking for some rings to wear, otherwise equipment is not bad, merc as well.

Score:
10 way points: 10
All stat points in vitality: 10

Total Score is 32

Code:
ALIVE
 32   BrassMonkey    Paladin       waflob          20     A2     Lut Gholein

DEAD/RETIRED

Paul completed his first obsession skill oak sage and now i have to think hard what skill i am going to choose next.
I think i have 6 options:
1)Fury-needs a good weapon which i maybe could find but prlly couldnt wear because of the small str Paul has.Also there would be major AR problems.
2)Maul-same as Fury
3)Rabies - the dam isnt enough i think.
4)Moulten Bolder Some phys dam which would help against fire immunes.But the fire dam is low so i wouldnt take it.
5)Fissure - Best fire damage, but the cast delay is nasty.
6)Firestorm - Poor damage,but low mana cost and its casting delay is better then Fissure's or bolder's.
Other skills i didnt mention because they have to many synergies.
Any opinions what to choose?

Code:
ALIVE
 33   Paul           Druid         Naab            25     A2     AS
 31   BrassMonkey    Paladin       waflob          20     A2     Lut Gholein