1.13 Public Test Realm online!

Re: 1.13 Public Test Realm online!

It was very exciting to cross your fingers for good drop, hoping to see a Mal, Ist or Gul on the ground after you crack the forge. Stuff like that won’t really mean much now in this patch.
This! There it is, the lost description of feeling!

Input from a 1.09-phile:

1.13b is the new 1.09. Back in the day, 1.09 made the game playable for a lot more people since it removed some of the really tough challlenges and made runewords more available.

Here's my point - 1.07 runewords... other than Ancient's Pledge, were any of them easy to make? Well, 1.09 introduced powerful runewords using low/mid runes, AND introduced the Countess as a rune source (were there complaints about how much more available Mal and Ist were when that change was announced?). You want a challenge after making all the 1.13b runewords? Go make the 1.07 runewords - they are listed in the manual that comes in the BattleChest. Now THAT would be a challenge!

IMHO, 1.09 was the first patch that really made the game fun. More balanced, admittedly the easiest patch of LoD, and useful runewords you can actually make from playing the game.

Enter 1.10 - huge nerfs to certain characters, and huge additional difficulty. This was offset by synergies (which significantly reduced the range of viable builds) new elite uniques, improvements to some high-end sets, and... lots of uber runewords, making the HRs actually useful for something. However, HRs were STILL extremely rare, and some people (me) gave up when seeing how that patch rendered characters they had spent a LOT of time making useless.

1.13b opens the game up to a lot of people, IMHO, and I, for one, think it represents a 1.09 style improvement - remove the really frustrating aspects of the previous patch without redifining the entire game to make the game fun for less experience players (and 1.13b EVEN makes it viable for me to make my 1.09 Mats/Pats into 1.13 characters with the respec).

Look - I've been rune collecting in 1.09 for months now trying to get Countess to drop Vex since ATMA lists that as a special drop for her in 1.09 - I'm very proud of the collection of Amn to Ist I've collected since you can't cube those in the patch. But I'm MUCH more excited to play 1.13b than I was to tackle 1.12a because I consider the changes to make the game much more playable than 1.12a.

Just my 2 cents.

So... who's up for a 1.07 runeword grail?

So... who's up for a 1.07 runeword grail?

Interestingly, a 1.13 RWM Runeword grail is now withing grasp to people. If the final 1.13 release has the same rune odds, I think we might see a race to who gets there first. :thumbup:

:wave:
Interestingly, a 1.13 RWM Runeword grail is now withing grasp to people. If the final 1.13 release has the same rune odds, I think we might see a race to who gets there first. :thumbup:

In the interest of science, I added up the runes it would take to make one of each runeword in 1.09+, and here are the high runes you'd need:

Code:
1 Zod
3 Cham
12 Jah
9 Ber
7 Sur
12 Lo
7 Ohm
8 Vex
6 Gul
7 Ist
13 Mal
11 Um
7 Pul

That, plus the lower runes adds up to 7.67 Zod runes. Should be fun!

^^^ Now that is something to strive for!!111!!one

That is something.

Personally I agree with Solar Ice and similar but, with a simple change of goals, this could be good for all.

Ehh...

I have a question - if I connected to B.net on Classic Beta server and the patch was downloaded - I now have 1.13b not 1.13a right? Like, the latest?

We were talking about the RW grail in IRC - it would now be viable as a longer term goal.

I'll throw my hat in for liking the increased drop rate. It makes runewords like Enigma, grief, Fortitude, CTA etc not just seem like pipe dreams anymore.

I love looking through character builds for ideas on new toons, but it's dis heartening when you see there gear list saying stuff like grief/death, Fortitude, Enigma, CTA on switch. Or watching a video and seeing a necro start off popping off his BO from CTA then teleing off with Enigma.

For me that usually just makes me sigh and say "I wish" then closing the thread or video knowing it will never happen in my lifetime. Now, there seems to be a glimmer of hope (all be it not immediate but now somewhat more realistic) to actually be able to optomize those builds. It's definetly motivated me to play more.

We all know Bnet is absolutely flooded with duped runes and high RW's are dirt cheep. A pally without CTA and Enigma just gets laughed at. I think one of the reasons for Blizzard pumping up the drop rate on high runes is to put a dent in the rune dupers pockets. Granted there will always be the gimme now group who will still e-bay them, but I think the increased drop rates if anything over time will really hurt the dupe sellers. So that's one positive also.

Well, this patch has pulled me back in to the Diablo itch and out of lurking.

However, the computer I play Diablo on doesn't have internet access; is there any way to download the patch and transfer it over to my computer or does it have to be done in-game?

Anyone? I would really love to try out the new patch

Non rune comment/question and completely self-serving...

Will my v1.09 Ravenclaw get nerfed in the new patch?

Anyone? I would really love to try out the new patch

I've updated my post in the file section with the version-switcher folder for 1.13b. You can download that and either use it with the version switcher, or backup copy all the files directly into your D2 installation folder for a full patch (backing up your 1.12a files, of course).

I've been living under a rock.

How much are the rune drop rates increased in 1.13b?

Count me as loving the new rune drops. I got Enigma and Faith in 1.12, and that did feel like quite an accomplishment. That is outweighed, for me, by the new improved rune availability. I'm looking forward to seeing some Famines, Brands, Wraths, etc - some of the RWs we would never have considered given how precious the runes were. Now that they are more available (though certainly not "common"), I suspect we will see more interesting and creative applications. Good progress, in my opinion.

new rune drops are great news for us who cannot hf rush. well i can rush but i play on mac laptop and rushing is so terrible slow that i just cannot stand that. so its great to have some other alternative to lk. it is really nice that i can finally even dream about enigma and infinity. before those things were so far away from you that better not even think about. i can´t wait that 1.13 final is going to be release so i could (atleast try to) taste those sweet runes.

and i also have stupid question. how you can register yourself to blizzard battle.net forums that i could give feedback and cry becouse we still don´t have ladder runewords and uber tristram?

edit: huh. 100th post. i guess diablo start to be serious hobby / time waster now.

I'm looking forward to seeing some Famines, Brands, Wraths, etc - some of the RWs we would never have considered given how precious the runes were. Now that they are more available (though certainly not "common"), I suspect we will see more interesting and creative applications. Good progress, in my opinion.

Let me add some weight to your comment there.

When I was researching my Justiciar, (paladin + Vengeance & Fanatism) I thought to myself that a legendry mallet Famine rune word would be near ideal for the build.
But such a thing was of the question. Even If I did own the runes for the rune word in v1.12, I'd be absolutely mad to make it given all the other runewords I could make instead.
Now in v1.13b, I could actually make the rune word.

My thoughts on the increased drops of runes is that its a long time coming. One Jah or Ber or Zod does not make the rune word. You also need the other runes as well and sometimes these are HR's as well not to mention the base item. V1.07 ethereal sacred rondarches with high resistances suitable for exile command a high price by themselves.

Creating a good character is not just about running hell cows for a few hours and making a rune word or two. A good character needs unique & set items, jewels, charms, gems and crafting often to make. Rune words is just one ingredient of many to make a good character.
So this one ingredient is now easier to gain. The better for it I say. Now we can concentrate on making great characters instead of monotonous repititious game play trying to gain the ingredients.
Better spending the time gaining higher levels rather than looking for specially marked rocks on the ground.

Pity Blizzard didn't do this back in v1.10. Oh well. Better late than never.

Offtopic:
V1.07 ethereal sacred rondarches with high resistances suitable for exile command a high price by themselves.

I highly doubt that, given that 1.07 Paladin shields have a lower defense than their 1.10+ counter parts and won't get their defense upgraded once brought forward. Also, as far as I know, ebugging doesn't work with 1.07 eth armors of any kind.

Well, I decided to move, lock, stock and two smoking barrels to 1.13b. I was toying with a partial move for the last day or so, but seeing as I have some levelling to do, the lure of better rune drops is too tempting.

As someone who prefers melee characters, I am starting to get around to liking the IM removal and the CE reduction. Whirling through packs of OKs mixed with dolls still has some risks, but it's not instant death like it was before. It's going to make solo melee Baal running much more attractive.

PurePremium
Estimated market value
Low
High