1.13 Public Test Realm online!

Re: 1.13 Public Test Realm online!

Does this mean that you can expect at least ~lem from every cow run?

I'm a bit suspicious about the accuracy of these numbers, or at least they haven't been taken from regular monsters. Because if that was the case, a Zod should drop statistically every ~13 cow runs, considering about 400 cows per run. That certainly can't be right.

Edit: Unless it means a 1:5171 chance per rune dropped. That would actually make more sense.

If you add those up, it looks like (I haven't done it) they add up to 1:1 so that would be the odds of any rune once the monster decides to drop a rune in the first place.

I just did three cowruns. In the two first, I found five set items, and NO runes. The next, Shael, Ith from cows, then VEX from a rock in the cow level. Going to do a few more to see if I can get a HR from a monster for once.

Those numbers are per rune dropped. Different monsters have different chances of dropping a rune in the first place so giving numbers per monster would be misleading. Maybe I could have been more clear.

Also... just so we are clear - do we still need the RWM/RRM?

I would guess that RRM is kinda obsolete now... what about RWM?

Yes, RWM is needed, and technically speaking, we need a new one for 1.13b. Note that it hasn't yet been approved by mods.

Well... that was quick.

3 Travincal runs.

Lum ( didn't take a screenshot ) and then:

Ber

I am not sure should I be happy or disappointed.

EDIT: at least I have a backup of all characters and stashes... should I decide to go back from it.

Wow.... The number of high runes reported from 2 days with the patch out is amazing...

Time to backup my data (Should I regret upgrading, however it's starting to look doubtful that I could), and dust off my Hybrid Zon. (Which I can now respec to a pure LF.... Woot).

Infinity/Enigma/Last wish here I come?

After looking into the odds for the HR... and my Ber specifically - it's still pretty low.

So I just might be lucky :lol:

Something that is radically changed are the rune drop odds in the mid-game. I am in NM difficulty playing the first 4-5 areas of Act2, NM with the new patch. I have had 4 runes drop so far: Dol, Shael, Ort and Sol. However, one calculates "rune wealth," its seems clear that the runes that will drop while leveling a character will be far different.

I've never played with the RedRune Mod, and I'm really surprised how much i enjoy the orange runes in the patch. I'm liking this....

The rune change (again) in 1.13b has me wondering if I should stop popping the chest behind Meph to get quicker (it's just 2-3 secs though). That chest is the same as the LK special chests right?

Any ideas here?

I found an Ohm popping Meph's chest, so I spend the extra few seconds.

Those numbers are per rune dropped. Different monsters have different chances of dropping a rune in the first place so giving numbers per monster would be misleading. Maybe I could have been more clear.
Ah, that makes much more sense indeed. Still those are some really great chances.

Does that mean that the odds apply to anything that drops a rune? How does it apply to the countess and hellforge?

It will most likely have an effect on the drops from the countess. Hellforge drops will stay the same, though, as there is a fixed range of runes the hellforge can drop in each difficulty and the odds for each of these runes are the same (i.e. 1:11).

I don't like this rune drop change at all.

It now becomes very easy to get the high-end stuff without putting much effort in. Finding high-end runes is no longer something to be exited about.Granted, this was mostly the case since 2006 when LK was discovered but it still took quite some effort to get multiple high runes. Making an Enigma, BodT now becomes not an accomplishment but a matter of a couple of weeks running Cows. Those like me, who put in tons of effort into farming Enigma, Dual Dreams, Infinity etc (~ 55K LK and 1K Cows, in my case specifically runehunting-wise) I think will likely be quite upset with this patch.

I expect people to post BodT, Last Wish, etc in the IFT on a regular basis now. And the worst thing is, there is now no going back. Even if they were to change the drop rates back, one could still install 1.13b Beta, get the runes and bring them foward. Sad for D2, imo.

One of the problems with mods like Median and Eastern Sun is that once you have Uber items (rather easily), the desire to keep playing diminishes. I have played both mods quite a bit and eventually they become sort of pointless after a while. Vanilla/RWM is (was) different. The low drop rates mean that there is a long term goal and loads of effort to reach it and one of things that, for me at least, keeps the desire to stick with this game for so long. I wonder if people will become bored with D2 far more quickly, once they get all the Uber stuff?

Now all Bzzard has to do to "improve" the game is reduce the XP cap so that level 99 can be reached in two days and while they are at it greatly reduce the drop rates of TC 87s so that Tyraels can drop as soon as you step out of the Blood Moor. Who needs challenges, right? :/

@Solar Ice: Can you really say that 1.12 and previous really had a good set up for HRs? I agree that 1.13b may have gone to the other extreme, but in 1.12a, there may as well have been a 0% chance of ever obtaining a Zod. The amount of time invested in SP to get a Zod in 1.12a is simply astronomical. I know that I've been playing 1.10+ for a number of years now, and I'd say highest rune drop from a monster was probably a Gul. I don't think SP players should have to abuse a truncated LK seed in order to get any kind of high runes.

[BLUE="http://forums.battle.net/thread.html?topicId=23425582789&sid=3000"]Two changes did not make it into the 1.13b patch notes:

- Fixed an issue where the Paladin's Charge ability would become locked out if Holy Shield faded while charging.
- Fixed an issue where the Barbarian's Leap ability could become locked out if they were hit when they started to leap.
[ Post edited by Bashiok ][/BLUE]

Heck, yes! It's not some crazy awesome super game-changing bug fixes, but if the Leap fix is indeed legitimate, I can *finally* make the Leaper I've always dreamed of. It always annoyed me that in < hour of play they'd become totally useless.

@Solar Ice: Can you really say that 1.12 and previous really had a good set up for HRs? I agree that 1.13b may have gone to the other extreme, but in 1.12a, there may as well have been a 0% chance of ever obtaining a Zod. The amount of time invested in SP to get a Zod in 1.12a is simply astronomical. I know that I've been playing 1.10+ for a number of years now, and I'd say highest rune drop from a monster was probably a Gul. I don't think SP players should have to abuse a truncated LK seed in order to get any kind of high runes.

What he said.

I also want to add that, surely people who invest a lot of time into cow runs, LK runs, HF rushes, Council runs etc. to obtain HRs will obtain them more easily and more quickly now. It becomes trivial to them, and I can understand their "frustration" about it. However, think about all the people who don't have the time to spend hundreds of hours on those runs and rather want to spend the little time they have for the game on actually playing it. I think it's unfair that they should be denied the chance to ever make these great runewords due to drop chances that go against zero. With the increased drop chances, even those people who can play maybe only an hour every other day will have a chance at something like an Enigma.

I think the issue, Solar Ice, is that the majority, specially battle.net, do not have the stamina and endurance to do as much LK or any heavy duty gaming. Those who want to use the higher end runewords have to get it through illegitmate means, which for some, is just not possible. I think many of the members here have dreams of good runewords, but will never get it purely because they cannot invest the necessary time.

I can't remember, may have been DC who said it, but I remember someone saying that instead of complaining that a Zod will become less of an astounding achievement, we should simply form higher goals. Tyrael's Might as well as Cham/Zod are still going to be rare and to get them will still take a lot of effort, although not to the more avid runners. I think that it has just made more of the game accessable to the majority, which is a good thiing in my view.

I can't remember, may have been DC who said it, but I remember someone saying that instead of complaining that a Zod will become less of an astounding achievement, we should simply form higher goals. Tyrael's Might as well as Cham/Zod are still going to be rare and to get them will still take a lot of effort, although not to the more avid runners. I think that it has just made more of the game accessable to the majority, which is a good thiing in my view.

I agree. Additionally, a lot of the "too easy" problem comes from using an external program not provided by Blizzard (Atma/GoMule), and from taking advantage of things like the Cows level and the way the LK chests work. We do these things in large part to cope with the low drop rates of stuff we want. Anyone who feels the drop rates on runes have made high end runewords too accessible can adjust their playing style to account for that.

Want to accomplish something neat? Be the first one to post a BotD created on a character who never benefited from Atma/GoMule--no twinking, no extended stash!

It now becomes very easy to get the high-end stuff without putting much effort in. Finding high-end runes is no longer something to be exited about.Granted, this was mostly the case since 2006 when LK was discovered but it still took quite some effort to get multiple high runes. Making an Enigma, BodT now becomes not an accomplishment but a matter of a couple of weeks running Cows. Those like me, who put in tons of effort into farming Enigma, Dual Dreams, Infinity etc (~ 55K LK and 1K Cows, in my case specifically runehunting-wise) I think will likely be quite upset with this patch.
I've HF rushed several Bers over the last few years, and I can happily say that I really like the increased rune drops. LK runs and HF rushes weren't really enjoyable in any way, it's a good thing that they'll be gone now. You simply shouldn't have to put up with odds approaching winning lottery jackpots in a game that's meant to be fun, why does it matter now that it's easier to get high runes? You still know you did it when it took so much longer, you haven't lost anything from the change.

I expect people to post BodT, Last Wish, etc in the IFT on a regular basis now. And the worst thing is, there is now no going back. Even if they were to change the drop rates back, one could still install 1.13b Beta, get the runes and bring them foward. Sad for D2, imo.
For the last couple of years you could look at the IFT and see RWs with Los in fairly regularly, with the occasional Ber RW, they'll just be a bit more common. If you really believe Last Wish will be posted regularly then I don't know what to say.
One of the problems with mods like Median and Eastern Sun is that once you have Uber items (rather easily), the desire to keep playing diminishes. I have played both mods quite a bit and eventually they become sort of pointless after a while. Vanilla/RWM is (was) different. The low drop rates mean that there is a long term goal and loads of effort to reach it and one of things that, for me at least, keeps the desire to stick with this game for so long. I wonder if people will become bored with D2 far more quickly, once they get all the Uber stuff?
You're implying that the only uber stuff in the game is RWs and uniques. Increasing rune drops won't suddenly turn all your charms into vita skillers and 5/20s. Come back to me after you've crafted 2/20/Res all/stat amulets for each class, finished an eth grail, and have a full RW grail, then you may have a point about not having any items left to find.
Now all Bzzard has to do to "improve" the game is reduce the XP cap so that level 99 can be reached in two days and while they are at it greatly reduce the drop rates of TC 87s so that Tyraels can drop as soon as you step out of the Blood Moor. Who needs challenges, right? :/
Nothing like unrelated exaggerations when finishing off a rant.

Also, another point worth mentioning:

There are more than a handful of high end runewords that no one in the SPF would EVER make, even if we had the runes. For some examples, look at: Doom, Eternity, Hand of Justice, and Last Wish. Sure, there's nothing wrong with these runewords and they are all endgame worthy, but since the materials are so scarce in SP the cost is not worth the result. Personally, I'd like to be able to explore these options without looking like a total fool. Not to mention, this itself would take a great deal of dedication. I highly doubt that a person's month worth of cow runs will net them 8 Zods and 20 Jahs. I honestly think that the direction they are taking with rune drops is the right direction of SP players. B.net is another story...

i too enjoy putting weeks into getting a single item. its a challenge worth working for! this is gaming, folks! running cows over and over and over is what one would call "gaming nirvana". only the best of the best have the stamina and endurance for this amazing feat

i too enjoy putting weeks into getting a single item. its a challenge worth working for! this is gaming, folks! running cows over and over and over is what one would call "gaming nirvana". only the best of the best have the stamina and endurance for this amazing feat

Actually, putting that much effort into a single item is what burns many people out, get bored and pissed off, and throw the game discs into a closet, not to be seen again for a few years... :whistling:

Which is why it's nice to have the rune rates like they are in 1.13b. You guys make it seem like they're dropped every other cow run...

PurePremium
Estimated market value
Low
High