1.07 News, Info and Gossip

*Edit, I'm an idiot lol

So, I'm reminiscing on the days where I'd stay up late running cows with my buriza zon and multi shot. Or grandfather/SS.

Is this the version where grandfather was king?

Last edited:
Harsh...but at least you have a rack! I haven't found a decent stable Gilded Shield rack, so I've been running Council and hoping they'd drop HoZ for me...FINALLY managed to get one yesterday evening, and its both Eth AND rolled barely above minimum AR/%Ed automod:eek::(
Herald of Zakarum
Gilded Shield
Defense: 190
Chance to Block: 57%
Smite Damage: 20 to 28
Durability: 26 of 26
(Paladin Only)
Required Strength: 79
Required Level: 42
Unidentified
Item Version: Expansion
Item Level: 90
Fingerprint: 0xfa18d959
+100% Enhanced Defense
+10% Enhanced Damage <==Minimum possible :mad:
+18 to Attack Rating <==Minimum is 15 :oops:

+15% Increased Chance of Blocking
+2 to Paladin Skill Levels
50% Faster Block Rate
Cannot Be Frozen
+1 to Offensive Aura Skills (Paladin Only)
2% Damage to Undead (2 per Character Level)
10% Bonus to Attack Rating Against Undead (10 per Character Level)
Ethereal (Cannot be Repaired)

I just couldn't make myself go back to running Andariel for Bane Ash after MFO, but I'd really like to complete a 1.07 grail soon, so I decided to do some running for a few other grailers, namely Tal's orb and Trang's shield...I normally have too much MF when running for class-specific set items to drop, so I've never gotten them, and while you could rack Trang's head, it makes good sense to see if you can get it while running for Tal's orb, which can't be racked... Nightmare Council is the best target for these items (NM Radament has slightly better odds, but there's only one of him vs a whole pack of Councilors per run, and faster to get to as well...) I calculated the MF breakpoint for Tal's orb: 612 for Galeb, Ismail, and Toorc, 619 for their minions...I originally went with 619, but lowered it over the course of running because I kept getting rare Swirling Crystals. In fact, it turned out to be a real grind to get that orb...I ended up getting 9 rares before I finally got a green one...I also got several rare Cantor trophies (and a Homunculus :confused:) before getting Trang's head, but Cantor trophies drop a LOT more than Swirling Crystals!! By the time I got Tal's orb, Trang's shield had dropped 5(!) times... it's not a very good roll, but I finally have it!
Code:
Homunculus
Hierophant Trophy
Defense: 59
Chance to Block:  47%
Smite Damage: 0 to 0
Durability: 10 of 20
(Necromancer Only)
Required Strength: 58
Unidentified
Item Level: 58
Fingerprint: 0xce4184e
+15% Increased Chance of Blocking
Regenerate Mana 8%
Adds 25-50 poison damage over 4 seconds
+2 to Necromancer Skill Levels
25% Damage Taken Goes to Mana
+1 to Curses (Necromancer Only)
+1 to Mana (1 per Character Level)

Trang-Oul's Wing
Cantor Trophy
Defense: 183
Chance to Block:  60%
Durability: 10 of 20
(Necromancer Only)
Required Strength: 50
Required Level: 54
Unidentified
Fingerprint: 0x4432bdaa
+25 to Strength
+15 to Dexterity
+30% Increased Chance of Blocking
+125 Defense
Fire Resist +41%
Poison Resist +40%
Adds 2-7 poison damage over 3 seconds
+2 to Poison and Bone Skills (Necromancer Only)

Trang-Oul's Wing
Cantor Trophy
Defense: 186
Durability: 17 of 20
(Necromancer Only)
Unidentified
Fingerprint: 0x52fbfeeb
+25 to Strength
+15 to Dexterity
+125 Defense
Fire Resist +41%
Poison Resist +40%
Adds 12-28 poison damage over 4 seconds

Trang-Oul's Wing
Cantor Trophy
Defense: 188
Durability: 18 of 20
(Necromancer Only)
Unidentified
Fingerprint: 0x3c0e7772
+25 to Strength
+15 to Dexterity
+125 Defense
Fire Resist +41%
Poison Resist +40%
Adds 4-14 poison damage over 3 seconds

Trang-Oul's Wing
Cantor Trophy
Defense: 185
Durability: 18 of 20
(Necromancer Only)
Unidentified
Fingerprint: 0x4c27daa
+25 to Strength
+15 to Dexterity
+125 Defense
Fire Resist +44%
Poison Resist +40%
Adds 2-7 poison damage over 3 seconds

Trang-Oul's Wing
Cantor Trophy
Defense: 188
Durability: 17 of 20
(Necromancer Only)
Unidentified
Item Level: 61
Fingerprint: 0x8133bb7
+25 to Strength
+15 to Dexterity
+125 Defense
Fire Resist +45%
Poison Resist +40%
Adds 25-50 poison damage over 4 seconds

Tal Rasha's Lidless Eye
Swirling Crystal
One-Hand Damage: 18 to 42
Durability: 25 of 50
(Sorceress Only)
Required Dexterity: 20
Required Strength: 20
Required Level: 65
Orb Class - Slow Attack Speed
Unidentified
Fingerprint: 0x2c6569af
+10 to Energy
+88 to Life
+77 to Mana
20% Faster Cast Rate
+1 to Cold Mastery (Sorceress Only)
+2 to Fire Mastery (Sorceress Only)
+1 to Lightning Mastery (Sorceress Only)

I've also been doing some racking for grailers...I finally found a stable Spired Helm rack, and ended up running it almost 2500 times...
Its a pretty weird map...the first rack is very unstable, dropping a wide range of items, but the 2nd rack drops Spired Helms about 93% of the time (about 5% Luna, 2% Templar Coat), then another rack pair nearby drop 60% Jawbone Visor & Ogre Maul / 30% Kurast Shield & Feral Claws, so I picked up some very nice staffmod and automod items, superior and eth Ogre Mauls, and several IK Mauls as well. But while this was very rewarding overall, it was also VERY frustrating: despite being very stable and reliable, it only dropped green Spired Helms 4 times in ~2500 runs, and it dropped a gold LUNA first, at about 1K runs, then a freaking gold TEMPLAR COAT around 1800 runs in...I'm afraid I don't have a screenie for that one, as it took every iota of my self-restraint not to utterly destroy my PC at that moment...it took me over a week to get back to running that rack, and not until almost 2500 runs did it FINALLY drop a gold Spired Helm!

Code:
Veil of Steel
Spired Helm
Defense: 430
Required Strength: 192
Required Level: 73
Indestructible
Unidentified
Item Level: 87
Fingerprint: 0x1b66321f
+15 to Strength
+150% Enhanced Defense
+30 Defense
All Resistances +35
+4 to Light Radius

Blackoak Shield
Luna
Defense: 102
Chance to Block:  40%
Smite Damage: 17 to 29
Required Strength: 100
Required Level: 61
Indestructible
Unidentified
Fingerprint: 0xa26f32a8
+30 to Dexterity
+100 to Life
50% Faster Block Rate
Half Freeze Duration
4% Chance to cast Level 5 Weaken when struck
+2% to Defense (2.5 per Character Level)
+0 to Cold Absorb (0.75 per Character Level)

Ondal's Almighty
Spired Helm
Defense: 195
Durability: 21 of 40
Required Strength: 115
Required Level: 70
Unidentified
Fingerprint: 0x53fe87f7
+10 to Strength
+15 to Dexterity
+50 Defense
Requirements -40%
24% Faster Hit Recovery
10% Chance to cast Level 3 Weaken on striking

Immortal King's Stone Crusher
Ogre Maul
Two-Hand Damage: 198 to 273
Required Strength: 176
Required Level: 76
Mace Class - Very Fast Attack Speed
Indestructible
Unidentified
Fingerprint: 0x6e68f019
+200% Enhanced Damage
40% Increased Attack Speed
200% Damage to Demons
350% Damage to Undead
40% Chance of Crushing Blow

Guardian Angel
Templar Coat
Defense: 618
Durability: 31 of 31
Required Strength: 108
Required Level: 45
Unidentified
Fingerprint: 0x31d5fee7
+125% Enhanced Defense
+15 to Maximum All Resistances
+1 to Paladin Skill Levels
+4 to Light Radius
+100 to Attack Rating against Demons
Ethereal (Cannot be Repaired)

WoRG

Last edited:
@WoRG question or two if you don't mind.. How many runs about you did to Trav? And how do you pack 619 MF on a WW Barb without a merc??

I think Find Item is just a bonus here, not mandatory? I did a couple dozen runs with my sorc and merc killing. Didn't see any color Swirling Crystals or Cantor trophies =)

But I found this (didn't have that before =)
View attachment 15215
m4ke

Edit: Where to run for one or two Tals amu's? =)

Last edited:
Hmmm....I didn't really count, but I'd estimate about 50ish runs per Swirling Crystal, and Tal's was the 10th one to drop, so roughly 500 or so runs... this is with Find Item, though, and in 1.07, its not 'just' a bonus: a successful hork is essentially a p7 drop, and in 1.07, named council members only drop from their normal treasure class (bugged like Act bosses) when killed, but they drop properly when horked!

I would note that I had pretty bad luck with getting upgraded to rare when I didn't want it! I also suggest less MF, you're probably better off with 'only' 600 or so MF...as Derklord pointed out with his graph a couple weeks ago, the 'falloff' from not having quite enough MF is much shallower for set items!

MF gear on my barb:
Skullders /ptopaz = 144MF (my barb is lvl96)
barb hat w/3ptopaz = 72MF
crafted gloves = 25MF (Chance Guards are only 24MF in 1.07)
Goldwrap = 30MF
War Traveller's = 45MF
crafted ammy (of Luck) = 35MF
Fortuitous ring of Fortune = 40MF
crafted ring (of Fortune) = 25MF
offhand Blade of Ali Baba (2xIst) = 95MF
27x 4MF small charms = 108MF

WoRG

Thanks!

I'll run that more after todays racks =) I had 619 MF maybe I'll get something off. I had 5x 4MF SC but I f**ked up with ATMA and it ate 4 of them =/ Didn't need more than 10MF from charms, though.

crafted gloves = 25MF
I don't know about the max in 1.00 but I forwarded from there 29MF ones =) Still quite a way to wear 600 on one char =)

I got my TraviBarb to lvl73 so he can wear Sazabi's set. I should do some easy practising with him too. So Travirunner doesnt need a merc but if I take a superfast shooting amp dmg rogue as a backup, is that a bad idea?

m4ke

Edit: I cubed sapphires again. 20 this time and these came out:
Code:
Prefix 1092 Ring of Greed
Item Level: 3
Fingerprint: 0x7680121b
25% Extra Gold from Monsters
+25 to Mana After Each Kill
Code:
Prefix 1092 Ring
Item Level: 3
Fingerprint: 0x788127c4
+37 to Mana After Each Kill

Last edited:
I don't know about the max in 1.00 but I forwarded from there 29MF ones =)
Max is 34 (due to the n-1 bug), and quite easy to get. You can actually shop a magic one, starting at clvl 11 (I saw one with my first character's first visit to act 2), or get a rare one from cow king.
Gambling two Gulls is also pretty easy in 1.00!

@WoRG: Twenty seven 4MF SCs? I have four!

According to my calculator, you get 100% set+ drops of Swirling crystals from NM council at 598 MF. The falloff is steeper than the graph I'd posted, because bosses drop sets much better than SUs.
View attachment 15219

Last edited:
@Derklord Heh, I've actually got more than that....I've been playing 1.07 a long time, and back about 10 years ago or so, when there was an active trading community, I traded for a lot of good MF SCs...

@m4ke fast firing amp rogue is my preferred merc for Travbarb...I wasn't using her while running in NM, but I did miss her (she's great at killing those annoying watersnakes that spit the Knockback poison goo)

WoRG

@Derklord I'll go shopping when I play 1.00 next time.
Or do some more gambling, or cow king runs of course. Got the gloves I wear on my 1.07 sorc from gambling as well:
Code:
Demon Clutches
Leather Gloves
Defense: 2
Durability: 9 of 12
Required Level: 45
Item Version: Classic
Item Level: 33
Fingerprint: 0x776faa63
+16 to Dexterity
Lightning Resist +14%
Poison Resist +18%
34% Better Chance of Getting Magic Items

With a higher level character when gambled, or from hell cow king, you could have up to 39 res each, +39 mana, +14 strength, or +39 hp, alongside the +19 dex, +119% gold find, or +10% IAS that are aviable at lower ilvl.

Tal's armor is good...but 1.07 Skullder's is awesome! I can't think of any situation I would rather Tal's unless I was planning on wearing more of the set, and even then, since the expansion sets don't get the green bonuses in 1.07, I'm pretty sure I'd choose Skullder's (25MDR, 30Vit, and +1 skills, plus more MF (by the level you can wear Tal's, Skullder's is giving you 95MF vs. the 88MF from Tal's))

I was looking through screenshots from my runs for Veil of Steel and came across one from an interesting run where all the racks dropped Ethereal:

After finally getting Tal's Orb to drop, I went back to running Hell Council...in addition to the HoZ I posted earlier, they finally dropped the last class-specific unique I needed:
View attachment 15233
Code:
Bartuc's Chop Chop
Greater Talons
One-Hand Damage: 28 to 47
Durability: 23 of 30
(Assassin Only)
Required Dexterity: 103
Required Strength: 103
Claw Class - Fastest Attack Speed
Item Level: 90
Fingerprint: 0x80cfd07f
+10 to Dexterity
+25 to Mana
+35% Enhanced Damage
50% Increased Attack Speed
Hit Blinds Target +0
35% Target Defense
25% Deadly Strike
+2 to Assassin Skill Levels
+1 to Shadow Discipline Skills (Assassin Only)

Finally, they also dropped a unique Dacian Falx... Gotta be careful with this one!!

Like Axe of Fechmar and Iceblink, Bing Sz Wang has the Freezes Target mod and will crash ATMA and cause character corruption!!

I muled it off to my NoATMA mule in a multiplayer game...no readout, of course

As the only exceptional unique I still lack is Corpsemourn, which Council can't drop, I'm now running Hell Cows...maybe they'll drop me a Naj's Puzzler too...:rolleyes:

WoRG

Tal's armor is good...but 1.07 Skullder's is awesome! I can't think of any situation I would rather Tal's unless I was planning on wearing more of the set, and even then, since the expansion sets don't get the green bonuses in 1.07, I'm pretty sure I'd choose Skullder's (25MDR, 30Vit, and +1 skills, plus more MF (by the level you can wear Tal's, Skullder's is giving you 95MF vs. the 88MF from Tal's))
I ran across an easy lacquered plate rack, that's why I was wondering. Got 5 x tal's now and will maybe get a few more, since I'm probably not getting a skullder's any time soon. :)

I like tal's armor on mercs since it has res and they NEED it. Less MDR, of course (and MF) but I like that niche. You really only need some MDR, not necessarily a gigantic amount... I don't know the actual numbers, but SoE for example covers most problems I think

True...I was thinking more about for the character, but for a merc, the +skills and Vit on Skullder's don't give any benefit, and Tal's armor does have 15MDR, which is good... more defense on Tal's, too, which seems to make more difference on a merc.

WoRG

This was brought up in another thread, and while I was double-checking my post, @maxicek requested no further replies, so I brought my interesting point that had nothing to do with other thread OP, here. For posterity (and because I had already typed it and checked it out, I want to post it, damn it! Lol...)

wasn't 1.08 the first realm-only patch?

yes it was

actual bnet and all

Actually, that would be 1.07, technically. Both the closed and open LoD beta(1.07) were on b.net as per final release... as such, 1.07 was the first patch to have 'ladder only' content, and in fact WAS the first 'ladder only' content.

After release, of course... 1.08 was in fact released the same day as LoD, and as soon as you went on battle.net, it patches you. But if you played the LoD beta, that was patch 1.07, on battle.net, and would have been the realms at that time.

I in fact played 1.07 when it was the live patch... well, 'played' may be a touch strong wording... more exactly would be 'got repeatedly frustrated at the horrible lag from the massive influx of players that came for the open beta, like me'. Also, it would be over a decade, until after I joined this forum, before I realized what an astonishing thing I had not truly appreciated... But even at that, it was likely nothing even close to what we think of as 1.07 because the dev's would hotfix things on the server-side, that weren't 'turned on/off' in the official update release... much as you had found ;)

PurePremium
Estimated market value
Low
High