Warhammer 40K Mafia Game Thread

I think we could potentially be in your face about the mafia mechanics and how people act/behave when they are or aren't and why it does or doesn't work. Since majority of us are town in every game, it couldn't hurt, right?

Disclaimer:

This could be very wrong.

Sathoris fingers me as someone he wants a name claim from. If he is mafia, his vote has a LOT more weight behind it than mine does. Why? Because of OMGUS. My vote is laughed off while people can continue to build a case for my vote and subsequent lynch. (P.S. I am not over reacting to one vote, just think the town deserves a more open approach to a "if mafia, this is a sound technique because of x, y, z reasoning)

Other side of the coin:

Sathoris if he is mafia knows if I am town or not already. Are there negative effects to me publicizing my name? Only in terms of power roles if they make common sense (not sure, haven't read the lore). In a "mostly vanilla" game everyone could just claim vanilla, but he wants the name. Suspicious, and there should be a reasoning behind it.

This post is most likely worthless, but a few cocktails in and voicing an opinion (single living has led me to many drinks over the last two months...it's much more enjoyable than sober and sleeping on a futon.)

BTW you haven't really lived unless you are married and go from a nice comfy bed to a cheap wire framed futon in a bachelor pad for a couple of months because of a job. Every weekend I travel back it's like I am sleeping on clouds.

Isn't this your second post of the game? Well if we're lynching the lurkiest why would you not be near the top of the list?

I won't be lurkiest by the end of this day phase! ^^ My post was more in the vein of people who are lurking become massive liabilities for the town by the end of the game. If we start off with whoevers lurking, rather than the people who are sitting here actively debating, that seems most likely to just limit the damage of a mislynch to just a vanilla townie, who could potentially confuse the situation later on. I guess my statement was more of a theorycrafting one than a real suggestion for right now, since obviously taking that course means that scum know they can avoid a d1 lynch by just participating.

Kestegs, I'll konw who I'd suggest as lurkiest by sometime tomorrow. Given the absence of some sort of incentive to post in twilight, and given my lack of knowledge of the universe, I didn't really see much reason to say much, and I'm sure that's true for others as well.

I think we could potentially be in your face about the mafia mechanics and how people act/behave when they are or aren't and why it does or doesn't work. Since majority of us are town in every game, it couldn't hurt, right?

Disclaimer:

This could be very wrong.

Sathoris fingers me as someone he wants a name claim from. If he is mafia, his vote has a LOT more weight behind it than mine does. Why? Because of OMGUS. My vote is laughed off while people can continue to build a case for my vote and subsequent lynch. (P.S. I am not over reacting to one vote, just think the town deserves a more open approach to a "if mafia, this is a sound technique because of x, y, z reasoning)

Other side of the coin:

Sathoris if he is mafia knows if I am town or not already. Are there negative effects to me publicizing my name? Only in terms of power roles if they make common sense (not sure, haven't read the lore). In a "mostly vanilla" game everyone could just claim vanilla, but he wants the name. Suspicious, and there should be a reasoning behind it.

This post is most likely worthless, but a few cocktails in and voicing an opinion (single living has led me to many drinks over the last two months...it's much more enjoyable than sober and sleeping on a futon.)

I'm not really sure what he's looking for from the name claim? I don't understand why he asked you and google isn't helping me find anything with names, but I may not be searching correctly. If I recall the day opening story correctly, Goryani's name was given to us ... I want to say "Solomon".

You seem wary of giving your name ... so do you think that means names reveal alignment or roles? And of course, I'm still a bit confused by the initial request for name, but it seems very much like Sathoris' usual play so confusion doesn't really help me figure him out either way.

I won't be lurkiest by the end of this day phase! ^^ My post was more in the vein of people who are lurking become massive liabilities for the town by the end of the game. If we start off with whoevers lurking, rather than the people who are sitting here actively debating, that seems most likely to just limit the damage of a mislynch to just a vanilla townie, who could potentially confuse the situation later on. I guess my statement was more of a theorycrafting one than a real suggestion for right now, since obviously taking that course means that scum know they can avoid a d1 lynch by just participating.

Kestegs, I'll konw who I'd suggest as lurkiest by sometime tomorrow. Given the absence of some sort of incentive to post in twilight, and given my lack of knowledge of the universe, I didn't really see much reason to say much, and I'm sure that's true for others as well.

How do you classify a lurker then? What check boxes do you tick for one to be labeled a lurker?

oh ya ???

Oh sure, how can you not think someone with such an enigmatic post as that is automatically town.

Also I found the genestealer information super quick. Google and first list, boom. Not sure if Zauper is lazy or seeding something.

I'm not really sure what he's looking for from the name claim? I don't understand why he asked you and google isn't helping me find anything with names, but I may not be searching correctly. If I recall the day opening story correctly, Goryani's name was given to us ... I want to say "Solomon".

You seem wary of giving your name ... so do you think that means names reveal alignment or roles? And of course, I'm still a bit confused by the initial request for name, but it seems very much like Sathoris' usual play so confusion doesn't really help me figure him out either way.

Then say it.....say,Solomon. (you know you want to)

BTW Drixx are you comfortable with giving your name if asked out of the blue??

Oh sure, how can you not think someone with such an enigmatic post as that is automatically town.

Also I found the genestealer information super quick. Google and first list, boom. Not sure if Zauper is lazy or seeding something.

Then say it.....say,Solomon. (you know you want to)

BTW Drixx are you comfortable with giving your name if asked out of the blue??

Can we have a link to the genestealer thing?

Also ... Solomon.

Finally, I have no idea what names indicate or if they indicate anything at all. I have no problem giving mine if it's something helpful. Sathoris asking for a name and Bad Ash refusing to give it piqued my interest. Why does Sath want to know and why is Bad Ash hesitant? I can't figure out if the names would tell us anything useful ... if they do, is it possible that names could cost us power roles? Also, I kind of doubt names being indicators simply because the sign up thread has this in it:

2) Specifically, one of those mechanics is an alignment change. It will be possible, under a specific set of conditions, for a player's win condition to change part way through the game. It will be a rare occurrence, however, and most players won't even notice. It is a possibility with what I'm planning though, and I want to make sure everyone signing up knows about it before hand.

A change of alignment and win condition being a possibility makes me thinks that names is something that won't help, so I guess we kind of need Sathoris to explain why he asked for it? I would like to see the genestealer info you found though. If this setting might have a cult (which is possible, although the signup thread quote I gave doesn't sound like it is describing a cult ... but would CG want to give that info away ... it's hard to say I guess) ... it would be good for us to at least be wary.

I don't believe I've ever played in a game with a cult, but I do recall that the known fact that there was a cult recruiter in the game completely dominated the recent Best of WIFOA game, so my conclusion is that cults wreak havoc on games.

Yep, these are my excuses too.

Do you not see the hypocrisy in your posts? "let's lynch lurkers. here's my excuse for being a lurker."

I "lurk" for for 2/3 of the day. It's called "work" and "sleep" heh.

Do you think lurkers are more likely to be scum?

More on this post later, gotta go to work.

I believe that when CG mentioned the whole alignment change he was referring to something a bit more special an unique rather than a cult type mechanic. I can't be sure about it, this is just my gut feeling.

This, as I think Drixx pointed out with the quote from the other thread. I remembered talk of alignment change and with the intro saying cult, I was worried. Less so now though

Does anyone know enough about the warhammer universe to know what genestealers do?

No, but reading helped some:

http://warhammer40k.wikia.com/wiki/Genestealers

This was the reason I was more worried. A genestealer can apparently implant its DNA into you, making you a hybrid. 2 hybrids reproducing are guaranteed to make a new genestealer. And if I follow right, hybrids tend to form some sort of cult that worships the genestealer, spreads chaos, and in the end prepares a planet for a Tyranid invasion.

Although CG, feel free to correct me if I missed something important.

That said, with what CG said in the opening of the signup,a full on cult seems unlikely.

Vote: Bad Ash

Nameclaim plz

ACCESS DENIED.

Interesting. I admit I wonder where this is going.

A search for warhammer solomon turned up 3 names (expedition leader, writer, captain of a squad).

(Preview: seems flubb may have got it before me)

So I think in read two people who are skeptical I'm not giving my name because one person asked for it?

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2

I didn't take sathoris as serious. Does he actually want your name already? Can you answer, sathoris?

@Gwaihir,

Coll info. Maybe there is a neutral (cult-like or just cult) that recruits players by targeting players who in the future will interact with one another.
ie. Genestealer targets player A N1, then player B N2. If player A or B interact with one another in the future they become a member of said cult. Thoughts?

Why do you think vanilla townies are the most likely to lurk?

Twilight is basically a free day for town to get information, that's the incentive. It gives power roles a leg up in their n1 actions as well. The only people who don't have an incentive to post are the mafia.

I didn't take sathoris as serious. Does he actually want your name already? Can you answer, sathoris?

@Gwaihir,

Coll info. Maybe there is a neutral (cult-like or just cult) that recruits players by targeting players who in the future will interact with one another.
ie. Genestealer targets player A N1, then player B N2. If player A or B interact with one another in the future they become a member of said cult. Thoughts?

Would be an interesting idea, but don't think genestealers are nuetrals. I am thinking that they would be mafia (unless this is some sort of rebellion within the imperials?).

Is there a link to the wiki for this game? I have no idea what genestealers and imperials are.

PurePremium
Estimated market value
Low
High