Warhammer 40K Mafia Game Thread

I won't be lurkiest by the end of this day phase! ^^ My post was more in the vein of people who are lurking become massive liabilities for the town by the end of the game. If we start off with whoevers lurking, rather than the people who are sitting here actively debating, that seems most likely to just limit the damage of a mislynch to just a vanilla townie, who could potentially confuse the situation later on. I guess my statement was more of a theorycrafting one than a real suggestion for right now, since obviously taking that course means that scum know they can avoid a d1 lynch by just participating.

Kestegs, I'll konw who I'd suggest as lurkiest by sometime tomorrow. Given the absence of some sort of incentive to post in twilight, and given my lack of knowledge of the universe, I didn't really see much reason to say much, and I'm sure that's true for others as well.

Any reason you assume only a VT would lurk?

Also if I read this right, you decided to not post at all in twilight on purpose?

I suppose I'd say lack of significant posts. No independent thought or initiative about anything, coupled with a generally low amount of involvement in the discussion.

Yep, these are my excuses too.

So you are saying that Numbers post applies to you cdm? If so, why have you nor been trying to find scum?

I suppose I'd say lack of significant posts. No independent thought or initiative about anything, coupled with a generally low amount of involvement in the discussion.

What about people who have little time to post?

What about people who pretend to be contributive while not really doing much?

What about people who prefer to wait, read and only post when they have something to say, be it 1 or 2 posts per day.

We have all those types of playstyle around here, would they be considered a lurker?

My understanding is that a vanilla townie role is more likely to lurk or be less involved as they don't have any other information rather than what's in the thread. The mafia on the other hand are always active so as not to be labeled a lurker.
ie. Genestealer targets player A N1, then player B N2. If player A or B interact with one another in the future they become a member of said cult. Thoughts?

I find that type of mechanic quite interesting and see it as something CG would do. If he didn't, then I bet he's sorry he hasn't thought of it.

This was the reason I was more worried. A genestealer can apparently implant its DNA into you, making you a hybrid. 2 hybrids reproducing are guaranteed to make a new genestealer. And if I follow right, hybrids tend to form some sort of cult that worships the genestealer, spreads chaos, and in the end prepares a planet for a Tyranid invasion.

Although CG, feel free to correct me if I missed something important.

Nope, that's pretty much the gist of it. Eventually the cults, over many generations, grow into the size of millions and summon the Tyranid Hive Fleet to whatever planet they've infiltrated. Once the Tyranids arrive the Cult falls back under control of the Hive Mind and proceed to sow as much chaos as they can to limit the defense response.

Well, off for labor day. Unlikely to log on, but will try. Might have some free time as some point.

Nope, that's pretty much the gist of it. Eventually the cults, over many generations, grow into the size of millions and summon the Tyranid Hive Fleet to whatever planet they've infiltrated. Once the Tyranids arrive the Cult falls back under control of the Hive Mind and proceed to sow as much chaos as they can to limit the defense response.

This sounds much more like investigation immunity than a cult.

Gwaihir: who do you think lurks?

Why do you think vanilla townies are the most likely to lurk?

Twilight is basically a free day for town to get information, that's the incentive. It gives power roles a leg up in their n1 actions as well. The only people who don't have an incentive to post are the mafia.

Re:Twilight and lurking hypocrisy

I think twilight has as much incentive for mafia as town, and both sides get to use their night actions anyways. However, since you don't have the results of any night actions, the conversation is very unfocused and I, at least, have difficult discerning any sort of meaning as relates to the goal of this game:finding scum. With that said, I don't view twilight as significant, thus the lack of talking during it, while I do believe once D1 starts, though information is extremely limited, it's less limited than twilight, and thus more meaningful.

VT lurking: Ignorance and impotence. VT have absolutely no information to go off of other than who dies each night, and the lynch flip for each kill, at least until a cop shows up to work with the town and share information, and no decisions to make besides who to argue for lynching. A power role has to ferret out information, or utilize the information their role has given them, in order to make use of their abilities.

At least, that's how I see it all. This is, after all, only my second mafia game that's so indepth. Perhaps it's merely ignorance speaking on my part, but that's the impression everything I've seen so far has given me.

"Doubt is the open gate through which slips the most fatal of enemies."

Current votes:
Bad Ash (1): Sathoris (152)
Sathoris (1): Bad Ash (156)

Day ends in a little less than 24 hours. I'm still deciding what to do about Labor Day weekend. I may extend the night phase, or I may grant immunity to mod-kills for inactivity. Suggestions are welcome.

Last edited:
Did you guys miss me? I know you missed me.

I don't usually skip reading posts but that twilight was just bad.

I have nothing to add.

(is it just me or when things rhyme do they seem less formal?)

How was it "just bad", and no matter how bad something may seem I'm not sure how you came to the conclusion that twilight was just bad if you skipped posts?

I believe that when CG mentioned the whole alignment change he was referring to something a bit more special an unique rather than a cult type mechanic. I can't be sure about it, this is just my gut feeling.

I'm leaning toward this myself, it sounded like it was an event that could occur, not something that was going to happen for certain.

They steal genes.

Obvious answer is obvious.

Of course, makes perfect sense.

Vote: Bad Ash

Nameclaim plz

ACCESS DENIED.

This made me lol at first. Interesting exchange, strange first post of the day phase by Sath (like always) and then almost immediate response by Bad Ash. Sath are you going to come back and enlighten us?

They steal your hive mind pants.

Welp I guess Sathoris is town.

Makes sense. *Sarcasm* So we shouldn't suspect Sathoris from any point here on out because you said so?

I think we could potentially be in your face about the mafia mechanics and how people act/behave when they are or aren't and why it does or doesn't work. Since majority of us are town in every game, it couldn't hurt, right?

Disclaimer:

This could be very wrong.

Sathoris fingers me as someone he wants a name claim from. If he is mafia, his vote has a LOT more weight behind it than mine does. Why? Because of OMGUS. My vote is laughed off while people can continue to build a case for my vote and subsequent lynch. (P.S. I am not over reacting to one vote, just think the town deserves a more open approach to a "if mafia, this is a sound technique because of x, y, z reasoning)

Other side of the coin:

Sathoris if he is mafia knows if I am town or not already. Are there negative effects to me publicizing my name? Only in terms of power roles if they make common sense (not sure, haven't read the lore). In a "mostly vanilla" game everyone could just claim vanilla, but he wants the name. Suspicious, and there should be a reasoning behind it.

This post is most likely worthless, but a few cocktails in and voicing an opinion (single living has led me to many drinks over the last two months...it's much more enjoyable than sober and sleeping on a futon.)

Ok, so you explained two possible sides, but I don't think anywhere in there it says which side of the coin you believe is happening? Does that make sense? Does this post even make sense?

Yep, these are my excuses too.

Do you not see the hypocrisy in your posts? "let's lynch lurkers. here's my excuse for being a lurker."

You need excuses already? And you just copied someone elses. Geez, lazy.

Any reason you assume only a VT would lurk?

Also if I read this right, you decided to not post at all in twilight on purpose?

So you are saying that Numbers post applies to you cdm? If so, why have you nor been trying to find scum?

Is it just me or is the first post that Gwaihir has not mentioned cult somewhere in the post?

What about people who have little time to post?

What about people who pretend to be contributive while not really doing much?

What about people who prefer to wait, read and only post when they have something to say, be it 1 or 2 posts per day.

We have all those types of playstyle around here, would they be considered a lurker?

My understanding is that a vanilla townie role is more likely to lurk or be less involved as they don't have any other information rather than what's in the thread. The mafia on the other hand are always active so as not to be labeled a lurker.

I find that type of mechanic quite interesting and see it as something CG would do. If he didn't, then I bet he's sorry he hasn't thought of it.

Are we really going to take the time to have a discussion of what defines a lurker? Maybe I just know from playing so many games, but I know which players I should expect a large number of posts from and which ones I shouldn't just based on previous play, if that number of posts is more or less than normal then I could potentially see that as odd but there are many reasons that something like this could happen, less free time, more free time, away on vacation, what have you. Yes, going after lurkers seems to be the back up option, but that's what it should be. It shouldn't be the first thing right out of the gate on a day phase. "Hey guys! Instead of trying to find scum, lets just take out these lurkers!" "Yeah, Yeah! Good idea!"

Re:Twilight and lurking hypocrisy

I think twilight has as much incentive for mafia as town, and both sides get to use their night actions anyways. However, since you don't have the results of any night actions, the conversation is very unfocused and I, at least, have difficult discerning any sort of meaning as relates to the goal of this game:finding scum. With that said, I don't view twilight as significant, thus the lack of talking during it, while I do believe once D1 starts, though information is extremely limited, it's less limited than twilight, and thus more meaningful.

VT lurking: Ignorance and impotence. VT have absolutely no information to go off of other than who dies each night, and the lynch flip for each kill, at least until a cop shows up to work with the town and share information, and no decisions to make besides who to argue for lynching. A power role has to ferret out information, or utilize the information their role has given them, in order to make use of their abilities.

At least, that's how I see it all. This is, after all, only my second mafia game that's so indepth. Perhaps it's merely ignorance speaking on my part, but that's the impression everything I've seen so far has given me.

What information do we now have in D1 that we didn't in twilight? And what do we do with it now that we have it?

"Hey guys! Instead of trying to find scum, lets just take out these lurkers!" "Yeah, Yeah! Good idea!"

Fair enough. As I said...if we see any tells from anybody, then yes, we go after them. But if we're just lynching randomly, randomly lynching a lurker seems better. Thundercat did make some good points about alternative play styles, but I think if someone posts twice a day, but with wall of texts at the end of day where the person is obviously putting things together, they're clearly *not* lurking, in my eyes at least.

I'll reread through twilight and this day shortly and see what's up with this cult talk. ^^

Fair enough. As I said...if we see any tells from anybody, then yes, we go after them. But if we're just lynching randomly, randomly lynching a lurker seems better. Thundercat did make some good points about alternative play styles, but I think if someone posts twice a day, but with wall of texts at the end of day where the person is obviously putting things together, they're clearly *not* lurking, in my eyes at least.

I'll reread through twilight and this day shortly and see what's up with this cult talk. ^^

The cult talk I think is mostly just fear. If you read the signup thread, the way the host, CG, talked about the possible alignment and win con change, it doesn't seem like he's describing a cult. It's possible that he described it the way he did to avoid us being able to basically know for sure there's a cult, but he went out of his way to say that most of us probably won't notice the mechanic if it happens, and he seemed to imply (at least to my reading) that it was not necessarily super likely to happen for sure.

But the talk of a cult in the opening story and the talk of "genestealers" definitely keeps the possibility of a cult open. The reason we're worried about a cult is because generally they can recruit town players only which if they get rolling very quickly torpedo us. With the game being this size, I expect 4 mafia ... maybe 5 but CG said most of us would be vanilla and our only power would be that we were still alive, so I would lean towards 4 being the likely number. That gives us a few mislynches to work with ... unless a cult is in play, in which case we could lose really quickly.

I'm leaning towards thinking there is actually not a cult and that the story is creepy and good flavor for the game. Most of what the host has said I'm reading as not talking about a cult. I cannot rule it out; however, so it's definitely a worry.

@Kestegs - I think the only info we have is that Goryani got killed and we were given his specific name. Goryani interacted with basically all of us in twilight (except the extreme lurkers of course) so I'm not sure what to make of it.

Today the strangest things I have seen was that exchange with Sathoris and Bad Ash. Sathoris' post was very spot on for what I expect from him, but the request for a name directed at just Bad Ash still seems odd and remains unexplained. Bad Ash's response .. well I've seen him respond that way as a townie and as a scum so your guess is as good as mine.

I didn't like twilight because from what I did read of it it just seemed like a bunch of nonsense with some spam sprinkled in. Didn't bother after a certain point, like page 2.5 or so.

18 player game would not have five mafia. And most certainly not with a potential cult in play. Town wouldn't stand a chance.

It's math.

Can genestealers not steal mafia genes??

18 player game would not have five mafia. And most certainly not with a potential cult in play. Town wouldn't stand a chance.

It's math.

Can genestealers not steal mafia genes??

We just had an essentially 9 player mini-game with 1/3 mafia in it, so while I agree with you that five is probably too high, I won't entirely rule it out. My best guess is four.

As for the last question, only CG could say, and I doubt he will. I would speculate, based solely upon the role "The Fifth" used a few games ago, that a cult would be unable to recruit a mafia member ... but it may be unwise to assume or take for certain that something is so simply because it has been so in the past.

We just had an essentially 9 player mini-game with 1/3 mafia in it, so while I agree with you that five is probably too high, I won't entirely rule it out. My best guess is four.

As for the last question, only CG could say, and I doubt he will. I would speculate, based solely upon the role "The Fifth" used a few games ago, that a cult would be unable to recruit a mafia member ... but it may be unwise to assume or take for certain that something is so simply because it has been so in the past.
by having the ability to recruit mafia, an entire faction would learn the identity of all mafia members, meaning instant loss for the mafia. The recruit could say something like cop or whatever and mafia would lose, with pretty even chance of either town or cult winning.

If I was in a cult in a game where Mafia could be recruited, and successfully recruited a scum, I wouldn't make a false cop claim. Much better to keep the scum around so they can be manipulated by the double agent.

PurePremium
Estimated market value
Low
High