Warhammer 40K Mafia Game Thread

The Sathoris Bad Ash exchange seems interesting to me too. Although I can usually never read either of them....

Anyways, I might not be able to post Monday and some of Tuesday (headed back to Denver before school starts)

Hmm, interesting. I can only assume the mafia would be given a new chat and that player would lose access AND the mafia would be notified that their team member is no longer mafia. Gah, it's an impossible balancing issue, so it should never be in a game.

The Sathoris Bad Ash exchange seems interesting to me too. Although I can usually never read either of them....

Anyways, I might not be able to post Monday and some of Tuesday (headed back to Denver before school starts)

It is an interesting exchange to me because, my gut instinct would be not to provide my name. The I thought about it logically and there is no reason not to provide a name unless you are not a vanilla townie. I really want to hear more from Sath about why he was asking the question and his take on BA's answer.

It is an interesting exchange to me because, my gut instinct would be not to provide my name. The I thought about it logically and there is no reason not to provide a name unless you are not a vanilla townie. I really want to hear more from Sath about why he was asking the question and his take on BA's answer.

Yes ... I'm also quite curious about what Sathoris saw that made him want to know. From what I can tell with google, I can't see how a nameclaim would be a strong way to discern someone's role, but I suppose it's possible. It's unusual for Sathoris to so directly go for someone like that and then not follow up at all, but perhaps the fact that the rest of us have taken notice is what he wanted? I wish he would show up and clarify.

My gut instinct would also be to not give my name, even as a VT, because if someone has figured out some way from the Warhammer books and games to have an idea of what sort of role certain names are more likely to have, giving up a name that isn't likely to have any role simply helps narrow down who might have the power roles for the mafia.

At first I was a bit put off by Bad Ash's response but I think maybe the gut response might also be the smart response. I personally don't see any way a name claim is helpful to the scum, but that doesn't completely rule it out.

Did you guys miss me? I know you missed me.

How was it "just bad", and no matter how bad something may seem I'm not sure how you came to the conclusion that twilight was just bad if you skipped posts?

I'm leaning toward this myself, it sounded like it was an event that could occur, not something that was going to happen for certain.

Of course, makes perfect sense.

This made me lol at first. Interesting exchange, strange first post of the day phase by Sath (like always) and then almost immediate response by Bad Ash. Sath are you going to come back and enlighten us?

Makes sense. *Sarcasm* So we shouldn't suspect Sathoris from any point here on out because you said so?

Ok, so you explained two possible sides, but I don't think anywhere in there it says which side of the coin you believe is happening? Does that make sense? Does this post even make sense?

I think my alcohol induced response was stupid because it's pretty much what everyone is trying to do every mafia game. It's not like this was a "new idea" or anything else, but instead was a par for the course here's two ways Sath could be thinking of something.

My response? I feel like Sath the last couple of games has had a sixth sense in mafia as a townie, but not in a scenario when he drops one vote and leaves. I am not saying he is scum or town cause there's lots of reasons for him not following up (I.E. holiday, work, life...), but when he has a read, he usually doesn't drop and lurk.

The whole point is that I have 0 issue revealing my name, just there is no reason to when one person asks for it and I think the majority of people would agree.

Yes ... I'm also quite curious about what Sathoris saw that made him want to know. From what I can tell with google, I can't see how a nameclaim would be a strong way to discern someone's role, but I suppose it's possible. It's unusual for Sathoris to so directly go for someone like that and then not follow up at all, but perhaps the fact that the rest of us have taken notice is what he wanted? I wish he would show up and clarify.

My gut instinct would also be to not give my name, even as a VT, because if someone has figured out some way from the Warhammer books and games to have an idea of what sort of role certain names are more likely to have, giving up a name that isn't likely to have any role simply helps narrow down who might have the power roles for the mafia.

At first I was a bit put off by Bad Ash's response but I think maybe the gut response might also be the smart response. I personally don't see any way a name claim is helpful to the scum, but that doesn't completely rule it out.

I believe that lately in a lot of our games a lot of people have been "here I am! I am vanilla townie don't lynch me!" thinking they are doing good, but it is actually giving the mafia a better shot at taking out a power role. They know everyone who is townie. Someone revealing they are vanilla either by name or self claim actually hurts the town.

Non-quoted thought: I feel like mafia don't want to discuss or approach sensitive issues because it could draw attention to them. I think we had a sensitive issue with my vote that subsequent people intentionally avoided by not quoting/answering questions I posed to the general public. I think they should be put under a microscope and we see what we got.

Non-quoted thought: I feel like mafia don't want to discuss or approach sensitive issues because it could draw attention to them. I think we had a sensitive issue with my vote that subsequent people intentionally avoided by not quoting/answering questions I posed to the general public. I think they should be put under a microscope and we see what we got.

It has been kind of an odd day one with spurts of posting and a lot of people not really talking about the things which have come up or trying to get other conversations going. I feel like we're headed for a rushed lynch or a mislynch, and I don't mean to bring up the whole theorycrafting argument about day 1 lynching, because I think we've fairly well settled that.

So I'm a bit irked at folks who aren't really participating, but with the holiday weekend and many Universities having just started up in the last week or the next week and people getting their kids ready for the new school year and stuff, there's loads of reasons why folks haven't been around ... but it has made for a frustrating day one. Aside from Sathoris and you with that early brief interaction and some speculation about whether there might be a cult, we haven't really gotten a whole lot done this day phase and it's running out rapidly.

Who, specifically would you like to see show up to answer questions and what makes them stand out to you BA?

Are we really going to take the time to have a discussion of what defines a lurker? Maybe I just know from playing so many games, but I know which players I should expect a large number of posts from and which ones I shouldn't just based on previous play, if that number of posts is more or less than normal then I could potentially see that as odd but there are many reasons that something like this could happen, less free time, more free time, away on vacation, what have you. Yes, going after lurkers seems to be the back up option, but that's what it should be. It shouldn't be the first thing right out of the gate on a day phase. "Hey guys! Instead of trying to find scum, lets just take out these lurkers!" "Yeah, Yeah! Good idea!"

I agree with you that sometimes going for a lurker rather than a random person is a good plan.

My previous post was intended to get a feel of how Numbers (is that what we are calling you?) thinks and how he defines a lurker. I haven't played with neither him so far, so I'm trying to get a feel of who I'm playing with.

As for the last question, only CG could say, and I doubt he will. I would speculate, based solely upon the role "The Fifth" used a few games ago, that a cult would be unable to recruit a mafia member ... but it may be unwise to assume or take for certain that something is so simply because it has been so in the past.

Cults normally cannot recruit mafia or any other roles that know of other people's alignment (masons for example). Reason for that is that once that person gets recruited, the identities of above mentioned players is exposed to the cult. That's how I see it at least.

As of now, I see no clear candidates for a lynch. I guess it's all up to Sathoris to show up and speak his mind.

I'm still very much interested in Bad Ash's name and I'll even sweeten the deal for him. Give me your name horse master, and I shall give you mine. Until BA decides to smarten up.

Unvote: Bad Ash
Vote: Phil

Absolutely screams scum to me. Also would like to know your name, sir.

Reason I've been mia is because of work. Will be busy next weekend too.

Vote: Sathoris

I don't know why you wish to know everyone's name, and why you would be entitled to them anyhow, but I don't see how this helps town in any way.

I also don't think you're mafia since drawing this much attention to yourself seems like a bad play.

Frankly, I don't know what's going on here but you're the only sore thumb that's sticking out to me as of right now.

I don't know why you wish to know everyone's name, and why you would be entitled to them anyhow, but I don't see how this helps town in any way.

I also don't think you're mafia since drawing this much attention to yourself seems like a bad play.

Frankly, I don't know what's going on here but you're the only sore thumb that's sticking out to me as of right now.

You don't think he's mafia ... but you voted for him? I mean ... it's not like he's in any danger of getting ninja locked but why on earth would you vote for someone and then say you don't think they're mafia. What's the point? People have been asking Sathoris to explain himself all day and so far as I can tell he's not all that intent on giving a satisfying response just yet. I don't think your vote is gonna change that.

Hmmm... Sath has called two people out with votes, and both of them have OMGUSed him in response. Is anything to be made of these shenanigans?

Hmmm... Sath has called two people out with votes, and both of them have OMGUSed him in response. Is anything to be made of these shenanigans?

I know, the reactions are interesting. I am tending to Sath being town.

I'm still very much interested in Bad Ash's name and I'll even sweeten the deal for him. Give me your name horse master, and I shall give you mine. Until BA decides to smarten up.

Unvote: Bad Ash
Vote: Phil

Absolutely screams scum to me. Also would like to know your name, sir.

Reason I've been mia is because of work. Will be busy next weekend too.

Unvote: Sathoris

Am I the only one who thinks Phill's post seems scummy?

Also, I find very little value in revealing names and how it benefits the town at this point.

Actually:

Ya need to give some clarification here on why you want/need names. The only other reason I can think now is the night kill flip scared ya and you need to fake claim hence a ill give you mine if you give me yours scenario

I dont like Phills post and I almost did believe you but I have nothing to go off of

I'm not sure what to think of Sathoris' name request thing, but experience tells me that if he's town, he has a reason for asking and for not explaining it to those of us who don't get it. His comment about Phillinnicus seeming really scummy confused me so I went back and re-read the day. Prior to Sathoris calling out Phillinnicus, the entirety of Phillinnicus' posts today were two posts which both talked about how he didn't read twilight.

The first one was early in the day phase and very nonchalant with the rhyme and comment in parenthesis talking about the rhyme. Then, for whatever reason at all, he later in the day decided to re-iterate that he had read very little of twilight without any particular prompting. Since there was some conversation going on today, it seems odd to make a 2nd post re-stating the same thing as the first post. Why not interact with today's discussion?

That's my best guess why Sathoris zeroed in on him despite Bad Ash not really answering his earlier post.

I don't really see any other suspects in a pretty slow day one, so I'm going to follow Sathoris' gut on this and hope.

Vote: Phillinnicus

Fair enough. As I said...if we see any tells from anybody, then yes, we go after them. But if we're just lynching randomly, randomly lynching a lurker seems better. Thundercat did make some good points about alternative play styles, but I think if someone posts twice a day, but with wall of texts at the end of day where the person is obviously putting things together, they're clearly *not* lurking, in my eyes at least.

I'll reread through twilight and this day shortly and see what's up with this cult talk. ^^

So if someone throws together a huge post at the end of the day, that takes them out of lurking status? Interesting take on things, but I'm not sure how someone waiting till the end of the day phase to make some dramatic post makes a difference for them not being involved for the majority of the day.

I didn't like twilight because from what I did read of it it just seemed like a bunch of nonsense with some spam sprinkled in. Didn't bother after a certain point, like page 2.5 or so.

Even though most of its spam, there is no reason not to read all of the posts, unless for some reason you don't have a reason to read the posts, say if you were scum for instance.

18 player game would not have five mafia. And most certainly not with a potential cult in play. Town wouldn't stand a chance.

It's math.

Can genestealers not steal mafia genes??

It's math. I love lamp?

We just had an essentially 9 player mini-game with 1/3 mafia in it, so while I agree with you that five is probably too high, I won't entirely rule it out. My best guess is four.

As for the last question, only CG could say, and I doubt he will. I would speculate, based solely upon the role "The Fifth" used a few games ago, that a cult would be unable to recruit a mafia member ... but it may be unwise to assume or take for certain that something is so simply because it has been so in the past.

Pretty much others have addressed this but a cult recruiting mafia members is ridiculous although it would be kind of neat haha.

If I was in a cult in a game where Mafia could be recruited, and successfully recruited a scum, I wouldn't make a false cop claim. Much better to keep the scum around so they can be manipulated by the double agent.

I'm glad we know what you would do now Jason. When there is a game where mafia can be recruited I know who to look at first.

OMGUS to the max!

In retrospect, there was no point in voting him. I don't really think he is mafia, since his actions don't seem to be what a mafioso would do. I feel like he may be some kind of neutral or weird bastard role, though.

I think my alcohol induced response was stupid because it's pretty much what everyone is trying to do every mafia game. It's not like this was a "new idea" or anything else, but instead was a par for the course here's two ways Sath could be thinking of something.

My response? I feel like Sath the last couple of games has had a sixth sense in mafia as a townie, but not in a scenario when he drops one vote and leaves. I am not saying he is scum or town cause there's lots of reasons for him not following up (I.E. holiday, work, life...), but when he has a read, he usually doesn't drop and lurk.

Alcohol induced posts, they are so much fun. I'm posting hung over instead of drunk, it makes things make more sense, maybe? I thought that was always his normal playstyle, make some short pointed post, and throw a vote at the end of it. This time it just seemed very different because he specifically asked you for a name claim right out of the gate. Him not following up seems like the usual though and it usually backfires on him.

It has been kind of an odd day one with spurts of posting and a lot of people not really talking about the things which have come up or trying to get other conversations going. I feel like we're headed for a rushed lynch or a mislynch, and I don't mean to bring up the whole theorycrafting argument about day 1 lynching, because I think we've fairly well settled that.

So I'm a bit irked at folks who aren't really participating, but with the holiday weekend and many Universities having just started up in the last week or the next week and people getting their kids ready for the new school year and stuff, there's loads of reasons why folks haven't been around ... but it has made for a frustrating day one. Aside from Sathoris and you with that early brief interaction and some speculation about whether there might be a cult, we haven't really gotten a whole lot done this day phase and it's running out rapidly.

Who, specifically would you like to see show up to answer questions and what makes them stand out to you BA?

Isn't this pretty much what happens every Day 1? I'm pretty sure all the votes are going to come rushing in after 2 o'clock today (day ends at 5 for me for reference), and the strongest thing we have to work on is Gory's death and the Sath/BA/Phil Name claim vote push back and forth.

I agree with you that sometimes going for a lurker rather than a random person is a good plan.

My previous post was intended to get a feel of how Numbers (is that what we are calling you?) thinks and how he defines a lurker. I haven't played with neither him so far, so I'm trying to get a feel of who I'm playing with.

I understand this, and my quoting of you was as much directed at you as it was to Numbers, especially with Numbers blatant choice to avoid posting in twilight and then jumping directly into a lurking/not lurking conversation.

I'm not sure what to think of Sathoris' name request thing, but experience tells me that if he's town, he has a reason for asking and for not explaining it to those of us who don't get it. His comment about Phillinnicus seeming really scummy confused me so I went back and re-read the day. Prior to Sathoris calling out Phillinnicus, the entirety of Phillinnicus' posts today were two posts which both talked about how he didn't read twilight.

The first one was early in the day phase and very nonchalant with the rhyme and comment in parenthesis talking about the rhyme. Then, for whatever reason at all, he later in the day decided to re-iterate that he had read very little of twilight without any particular prompting. Since there was some conversation going on today, it seems odd to make a 2nd post re-stating the same thing as the first post. Why not interact with today's discussion?

That's my best guess why Sathoris zeroed in on him despite Bad Ash not really answering his earlier post.

I don't really see any other suspects in a pretty slow day one, so I'm going to follow Sathoris' gut on this and hope.

Vote: Phillinnicus

I only reiterated what I said since Pyro asked about it.

I still don't understand why people are so accepting of Sathoris' ability to just ask for names (I can think of zero ways this would help town) and people is alright with it because, you know, Sathoris has dem special rights. Why are you alright with him having access to this kind of information, and also keeping it secret?

I feel like we haven't been given a lot to go on today. Sathoris seems suspicious asking for names, but that's kind of his play style. Nothing is really sticking out at this point...

PurePremium
Estimated market value
Low
High