Mafia game thread

Wow. Leaking scum Goryani.
When does the town ever only lynch mafia? In every game I've played in there are multiple Townie lynches before a Mafia gets lynched. Sometimes we win with a great cop claim. Sometimes we lose with a bussed result.

[highlight]Doing what I suggested would help confirm/deny the recruitment theory.[/highlight]
By lynching all of a role (albeit Beth, Ted, etc), we would see if one of them are mafia. It may take 3 tries, it may take 1 try. Is it really that hard to grasp?

Assume 5 Harry's. One is dead. We lynch the remaining 4 - lets say we get one mafia from them. We lose 3 townies, and what do we know? Do we know there is recruitment? Do we know there is one mafia of each person? How would we tell the difference? I don't see how lynching this way gets more info on game setup than scum hunting. And it seems to me that it is likely to be slower than scumhunting.

This is what makes me think you two are the same person every game. I am very thankful only one of you has an avatar.

I don't think I would have come up with the idea myself, I admit that was a copy on my part.

I think the only useful bit of the roles would be the very last line "You currently have no abilities".
Sath stated to look at the stories he posts and people who receive night PMs will have to act on them. These night PMs could turn people scum, or maybe just give them powers. It seems obvious though that we are all apart of the main cast.

What COULD be a possibility though, is that if anyone IS mafia, their role PM could have just stated "You currently have no abilities, but you are mafia" or something of the likes. A sentence that could VERY easily be altered when faking a claim that was already posted in full.

I think you have a later statement pointing out why this is not the case.

Am I the only soul that thinks OMG's kill was weird? He only had one post in the first two days, so I consider that suspectible to a token lurker lynch. In addition, he did not claim a character. The mafia already knew that a Harry was dead, and thus risking losing another Harry. They had to think that at least some of us would consider lynching a Harry just because if there were only 2 or 3 of them left. It just doesnt make sense.

Another random theory: what if there is no mafia, only Sath as the sphere and we Harry's are to band together and win when there is only Harry's left?

Part 1: Agree. I was trying to figure out why he got targeted, but really have no idea.
Part 2: ..... really?

I think the only useful bit of the roles would be the very last line "You currently have no abilities".
Sath stated to look at the stories he posts and people who receive night PMs will have to act on them. These night PMs could turn people scum, or maybe just give them powers. It seems obvious though that we are all apart of the main cast.

What COULD be a possibility though, is that if anyone IS mafia, their role PM could have just stated "You currently have no abilities, but you are mafia" or something of the likes. A sentence that could VERY easily be altered when faking a claim that was already posted in full.

IIRC, anyone could have faked the last sentence of their role PM b/c only two casts altered the PM's, but noone did it to the abilities part of the line. I think we need to just move past the role claims and look for general scumminess.

Now we're getting somewhere. Things we know:
  1. Everyone who has claimed thus far has claimed to be powerless (aka, VT) and one of four characters.
  2. Everyone was told to pay attention during the night, presumably so we can do something in response to whatever we are supposed to pay attention to.
  3. We're supposed to pay attention to the stories as they are supposed to give clues about what happened.
  4. Everyone was given an initial role PM. Mafia were given an additional role PM OR will be given an additional role PM at some point.

Point 4 leads me to believe that everyone was given the townie version role PM that matched their name. Mafia know or will know the townie role PM. I suspect mafia already know it as opposed to "will learn it upon recruitment." I don't think anyone can be proven townie because they know the "townie role PM."

Points 1, 2 and 3 steer me AWAY from recruitment. They steer me toward the sphere bestowing powers. It's possible the sphere allowed mafia Ted to perform the NK last night but if so, I think mafia Ted was mafia before last night.

In addition, he did not claim a character. The mafia already knew that a Harry was dead, and thus risking losing another Harry. They had to think that at least some of us would consider lynching a Harry just because if there were only 2 or 3 of them left. It just doesnt make sense.

That's a good point. If one of each character is mafia, it will make the end of game scumhunting much easier. Almost trivial. Hmmmm. That almost guarantees the setup isn't 1 mafia of each name.

It's still possible not claiming a name was a contributing factor for target choice. All those claims and no power roles...

Assume 5 Harry's. One is dead. We lynch the remaining 4 - lets say we get one mafia from them. We lose 3 townies, and what do we know? Do we know there is recruitment? Do we know there is one mafia of each person? How would we tell the difference? I don't see how lynching this way gets more info on game setup than scum hunting. And it seems to me that it is likely to be slower than scumhunting.

[YOUTUBE]ktUx57i63e0[/YOUTUBE]

Care to explain how that is a mafia role pm? It is a role block towards manifestations, aka the squid and other killing mechanisms. Nowhere have I been told that I am mafia, and if I am w/o being told directly then I'm calling shenanigans on this game.

VOTE: KESTEGS

How can you differentiate between recruitment and an alternate hypothesis of "one player of each name started the game as mafia" without lynching each and every player with the same first name? How many days will it take to confirm the recruitment theory? Under what situation? How many days will it take to deny the recruitment theory? Under what situation?

The signal to noise ratio is far too low to get a good reads thus far today. I'm left with falling back on the names I mentioned yesterday but if someone new pops up I'll be sure and let you know.

Which Harry do you suspect most? Which Ted?
How many days? To get a mafia, it could take one, it could take 7. How many days does regular scum hunting take to get mafia? 1? 4? 8? Who knows until we lynch somebody, right?
Who do I suspect the most? I haven't gone through my "lets find this guy" analysis yet. A few, including yourself, have popped up to me like one of those pop-up-books. I always look forward to your findings, no matter what side you play on, you 'play' town.
We may not lose 3 townies. If we lynch a Harry and he pops scum, then stop lynching the Harry's. I thought that was obvious. Sorry for not making that clear.
We don't know there is recruitment. We don't know if one of each person/characterName is mafia. We don't know anything. I gave a path we could follow. A path that isn't completely random. A path that makes some sort of sense, to me at least. The sense being that people have suspected that whoever entered the sphere turned mafia. I don't believe that anyone thought that everyone with that particular name turned scum, but only one. That's where I'm going with the "Lynch all the Harry's." I mean "Lynch til we find scum." If it takes 3 days, then so be it.
What else are we going to do? (Hypothetical situation coming up.)
Say we listen to OMG. OMG is scum. We don't know that. (Remember, hypothetical.) OMG says thefranklin is scum because of posts 573, 277, and 656. Everyone agrees. Ok, thefranklin is lynched. thefranklin is town.
-1town -1day.
We lynch OMG. OMG is scum.
-1town -1mafia -2day.
CG says that coju is scum because of posts 333 and 444. coju is lynched. coju is town.
-2town -1 mafia -3day.
CG gets lynched. CG is town.
-3town -1 mafia -4day.

We see a pattern here? It happens each and every game. Yes, there is scumhunting in between. Yes, thefranklin and coju looked scummy because of those posts. But what happened? What did we really figure out? (Yes, I'm not figuring in night actions and all of that, but you get the picture.) No matter what route we go, there is [highlight]NO[/highlight] way to tell if scum-hunting or lynching characters til we get mafia is going to be better or go faster.
Scum-hunting is seemingly random. This game isn't a normal mafia game. Going after characters until we hit a mafia isn't random. The only thing random about it is who gets chosen first. Ted has entered. Harry has entered. I'm saying we start there. If the consensus isn't to do that, then fine.

That's a good point. If one of each character is mafia, it will make the end of game scumhunting much easier. Almost trivial. Hmmmm. That almost guarantees the setup isn't 1 mafia of each name.

It's still possible not claiming a name was a contributing factor for target choice. All those claims and no power roles...
underlined part is the saying the same thing, isn't it? And if you do think and agree with what you just said, it is exactly what I've been saying... One mafia per name, one of each character is mafia...

I only noticed just now, after checking the thread, that I got a pm last night. Didn't mean to be unreliable, just being thrown off by no internet other than phone. Okay, here it is.
You got this ability on the night Ted entered the sphere?

Tonight and tonight only you can target one person and make sure that none of their manifestations will come out that night.
Who did you target?

I feel safe posting this because given how this game is different enough already, I don't know if I always get this blocker or role or at random.

We need to stop posting verbatim role/ability PMs. This info can be abused by mafia.

How many days? To get a mafia, it could take one, it could take 7. How many days does regular scum hunting take to get mafia? 1? 4? 8? Who knows until we lynch somebody, right?
Who do I suspect the most? I haven't gone through my "lets find this guy" analysis yet. A few, including yourself, have popped up to me like one of those pop-up-books. I always look forward to your findings, no matter what side you play on, you 'play' town.

I'm not asking how many days to find mafia. I'm asking how many days to prove or disprove the recruitment theory.

At a MINIMUM, it takes two lynches to disprove the recruitment theory. Two separate Harry's or two separate Ted's have to be lynched and flip scum. Even this might prove nothing if mafia start with some number of players and recruit more.

At a MINIMUM, every single Harry and Ted must be lynched to prove that exactly 1 recruited Harry and exactly 1 recruited Ted exist (by that time, more recruitment could render impossible proving the recruitment theory). I haven't (yet) kept track of the claims but that's probably 1/3 to 1/2 the town lynched just to find 2 mafia. Mafia will win that game.

We may not lose 3 townies. If we lynch a Harry and he pops scum, then stop lynching the Harry's. I thought that was obvious. Sorry for not making that clear.
One, that wasn't clear. Your further thought process (#308) said the goal was to confirm the recruitment hypothesis.

Two, what happens if another Harry enters the sphere again before the first one is caught? What happens if no Harry's are mafia? What happens if two Harry's are mafia and we stop lynching Harry's after the first because Harry stayed away from the sphere? My point is that finding the first mafia, using this methodology, doesn't actually help us find the second, third, fourth, etc.

underlined part is the saying the same thing, isn't it? And if you do think and agree with what you just said, it is exactly what I've been saying... One mafia per name, one of each character is mafia...
What I said made me realize this game won't be as simple as entering the sphere equals recruitment or 1 mafia per name.

I thought I said I didn't use it, because I didn't notice the pm until this day-phase.

So yeah, didn't use it, because I didn't know about it.

Yeah, guess I shouldn't post verbatim. :/ I predict more opportunities will arise, though.

Two, what happens if another Harry enters the sphere again before the first one is caught? What happens if no Harry's are mafia? What happens if two Harry's are mafia and we stop lynching Harry's after the first because Harry stayed away from the sphere? My point is that finding the first mafia, using this methodology, doesn't actually help us find the second, third, fourth, etc.

I see your point there.

I thought I said I didn't use it, because I didn't notice the pm until this day-phase.

So yeah, didn't use it, because I didn't know about it.

Yeah, guess I shouldn't post verbatim. :/ I predict more opportunities will arise, though.
Do you often miss PM notifications?

----

You always knew you would be the first to unlock the sphere?s secrets. You?re by far the smartest guy in the group. Norman is only here to analyse us smarter people. Beth thinks muscle is power; she won?t know how to handle real power. Ted is just a small child, too naïve. Nonetheless this power could make any of them rival me as long as we can?t control it. They have to be stopped; this power can never leave this place.

---

This is what you said you received in a pm, i removed the context to make it more clear what I'm pointing out.

That is the scummiest looking pm I've ever seen. "they have to be stopped" how does that statement not make you scum?

He did say he was on his phone. Just saying.
This is why. I'm using tapatalk and for some bizarre reason it doesn't notify you in any way whether or not you have a new pm. If I was using my laptop I wouldn't have missed it.

Btw, if you're bolding or something I can't see it, kegs. I do see how that one part sound scummy, but with the context of the story it isn't so scummy, given that he doesn't want to the power to leave the ship.

And like I said, it blocks manifestations, which I can't see being a bad thing.

Blocking manifestations keeps the squid away. As the squid is a manifestation.

While I agree that the flavor text smells like scum, the power doesn't... mixed signals :/

I was busy at work andcouldnt make it at days end. I am also a Harry, will post mu pm when I get to a computer.

I agree with the notion that one of each title role is mafia. What I am not sure of is do they get told they are mafia when they enter the sphere, or do they acquire their power when they enter the sphere. Either way, we have a statistical lead oj the Harry's, and by far Laarz has been the most suspect.

I can agree with this theory to an extent. All the talk regarding just one Harry, Ted, etc, being mafia isn't smart.

Look at the win conditions of the game. Are you purposely going for mis-direction? or just didn't read the rules?
Killing OMG? That is interesting, but he is a strong player, so it's not completely weird.

Curious....I'm guessing you've seen him with his shirt off??

I've only managed to read until post #383 but I have to go, thus I'll post this now.

Unvote: Moar
Vote: Malevolent

OMGUS vote much?

I find it interesting also about Coju. I also realized that we have the most Harrys, the one person that nobody had to prove their pm by fixing a word. AkA the easiest to fake.

However, I kinda think that we are all one of the main 4, but I'm not sold yet.

I find the forum squid attack rather ironic :p

Actually, Normans seem to hold the majority as of now with 6 votes.

And I notice your name is not in bold like mine is...

When you copy/paste something, I won't copy the bolds, underlines and etc. Mine isn't bold either as I copied the PM and pasted it here within quote marks.

Ugh, phone messed up when trying to post. Here it is again.

---

Tonight and tonight only you can target one person and make sure that none of their manifestations will come out that night.

I feel safe posting this because given how this game is different enough already, I don't know if I always get this blocker or role or at random.

Can the other Harrys say whether they got the same or even a different ability? I think this is the town's best method of finding scum. Finding the liars.

Interesting. So there are random events in place in this game that grant players abilities.

I'm almost sure that mafia hold just 1 of each character. Simply because there are 6 Normans and 4 Harrys right now.

Vote: Sathoris

In the Saw game, I, the host, had a role. I would have died if a certain number of people voted for me (I think it was a quarter). If Sathoris is the Sphere, this might work.

PurePremium
Estimated market value
Low
High