Youmu – PvP Ghost Assassin

frozzzen

Aug 20, 2020
Introduction
Tienje might as well be best PvP guide writer on these forums. His guides were decade ahead of almost everyone else and were focused on right things - not the perfection of items, which majority of guides are plagued with, but PvP concepts and fundamentals of how to build your character and pilot it. It's no wonder his Ghost guide has been one of more influential PvP guides out there. Many people have made and played their Ghosts, but one thing was never mentioned - Ghost just isn't great PvP build all things considered. It skips the strongest aspect of PvP assassins – their traps, and instead tries to roleplay as Barbarian using Chaos runeword and its Whirlwind skill. WW Barb in itself isn't that great of a build, so trying to emulate that as Assassin isn't going to work extremely well either. Build still does well what it was advertised to do – kill casters, but it struggles a lot in many matchups. SPF itemization is much different than Battle net, and in case of Assassins (and Ghost especially) build does differ a fair bit from Battle.net. Previous patches allow for character that is actually stronger than its Battle.net variant which is rare.​
After building a bonjwa, this character is much weaker and more difficult to both build and play. Still I think for the most part this is the way to build Ghosts on SPF. Caveat that I have to mention is – use this as a template only if you are using prepatch items. If you for some reason don't, then you should not follow this build and will benefit more of using Tienje's original gear setup or as close as possible.

Ghost?
Ghost is type of Assassin that uses Chaos runeword and Whirlwind oskill as primary way of dealing damage. Because we're using trap skills as one point wonders to achieve stunning effect, and skip investing in traps almost completely, we will have majority of our points in Shadow Disciplines skill line. Whirlwind is better melee skill than anything Assassin has in her arsenal. Kicks aren't bad but you can rarely if ever stand face to face with some of the stronger physical attackers like Zealots, Smiters and similar. Due to the fact Whirlwind is moving attack, you can easily WW away from opponent and hit them while they cannot hit you. It's also great against walking targets like Bow based Amazons. Clawblock works only if you stand still, cast or attack. Because WW counts as attack, you can keep Clawblock while WWing and it is also uninterruptible. Kicks or any other melee finishers that Assassins have access to, all lack some of those properties.

LCS
1649256284699.png
Ghosts do suffer a lot from the fact that they need to meet a lot of breakpoints/values in various areas:​
  • They need fcr to move and cast.​
  • They need ias and proper claw types for laying traps and Whirlwind.​
  • They need attack rating to hit their targets.​
  • And as all characters, they need %DR, resistance cap and enough mana/hp to be comfortable.​
Because of all those requirements you will be rather stretched and some of your stats might suffer a bit. When building Ghost you will very quickly realize how building her can be difficult, and unless your inventory is on point there will be clear gaps in your build.

Gear
Helm: 1.07 Shako Ber/Jah/Vex
Amulet: 2/18 Assassin
Mainhand weapon: +3 Fade ATMA bugged Chaos RW 1.07 Suwayyah
Offhand weapon: +3 Fade ATMA bugged Fury RW 1.07 Runic Talons
Armor: Enigma BP
Gloves: Trangs
Ring 1: 10 fcr crafted
Ring 2: flexible (Nature's Peace/Wisp/Raven Frost)
Belt: Arachnid's Mesh
Boots: Waterwalks

Switch
Weapon 2: 15 BO beta CtA
Shield 2: Lidless Wall

Inventory
1649256326418.png
As is the case with most builds in SPF PvP, if you can get away with % life trifecta items (beta CtA, 1.07 Shako, Oak Sage charges ring) then you should do it. Ghost can do it but barely. Still, because they are melee build and will take damage in exchanges, you really want to build them as tanky as they go. I settled for 65 fcr and 27 fhr breakpoints. 65 fcr is standard, but 27 fhr seems okay in all cases except when dueling Grip's Trapper. That's only instance where I kinda wanted more fhr, and additional fhr can be swapped in easily via charms if situations call for it. Very high life and the fact that WW is not interuptible make fhr much less of a priority.

There is narrative (that I also bough into) that Shadow skillers are way to go for Ghosts, but no matter what math I did, and no matter how hard I tried they seemed like they were never good. Only thing where they do help is raising Venom damage, Fade %DR and Clawblock. Since I already was at 50% DR cap it made no sense to use those charms. Venom deals damage over 20 frames in Hell, meaning that it doesn't add damage to every hit. Having higher Venom damage is great against maxblock builds, but if you have your foe stunned you will probably land multiple hits over the course of WW. Best way to increase Ghost's damage output was to increase her attack rating to something respectable. Having consistent hits on your foe guarantess better stunlocks and more damage that way.

I also opted out of using Fool's claw completely. If you are on a budget, I heavily suggest you use Fool's claw, but after deciding to give Demon Limb a shot, I think I'm at the point where further investment into AR isn't that beneficial. 7k AR is enough vs anything that you can kill in the first place. Fury gives you control over what staffmods you can use on claws, and getting 50% OW Fool's with +3 Fade just won't ever happen.

Suwayyah + Runic Talons are really the best option (almost only option for this setup) because it both hits fastest trap laying speed after WSM bug and keeps it while under effect of 10% slow from Arachnid Mesh. If you want to use Suwayyah + Feral Claws for example, you need IAS source from somewhere other than claws, like HLW, IAS jewel in Shako or Valk Wing, none of which I'd use considering the sacrifices in your build you'd have to make.

I have to emphasise the impact of inventory on this build. Because gear is used to either meet breakpoints or is just crazy strong, (like 1.07 Shako for example) you will have to cover lots of holes with your inventory (resistances, attack rating and mana). 95 allresists from inventory is actually insane. As you can see from tables above, my gear gives almost no resistance at all, and good inventory carries this build hard. I think having enough mana for comfortable playing is more important than squeezing every last bit of AR from inventory. I've seen people use around 550 mana, but my personal comfort zone is around 750. Low mana feels really bad to play. Rest is fileld with attack rating charms. Attack rating is hard to come by with this setup. WW is oskill and gives you almost no AR bonuses because of low skill level. Because you want Oak ring and you don't use Ravenfrost majority of the time, this makes AR really hard to get – you rely on Demon Limb, AR from fcr ring (which I have none) and inventory. ~600 AR from inventory gives ~4k attack rating after Demon Limb buff. With 7k attack rating you are good to go against most of the builds out there.

Skills
Ghost aren't pressed for skill points much. In fact, Trappers often times use entire Shadow skill line as one point wonders. Level 98 might seem a bit wasteful but that doesn't mean we can't optimize things. Highlighted skills are ones that I'm either getting from or are being boosted by claws.
1649256375955.png
While my build theoretically maxes out at level99 (which I don't think I'll ever attempt) one missing skill point is of no relevance. With +6 Fade from claws, 20 invested points and 8 all skills from gear, Fade is cast at level 34, which means 8% DR from Enigma and 8% DR from Ber'd Shako puts me at 50% DR cap. This means I don't need to use a single Shadow skiller in my inventory, allowing me to pump attack rating. 18 points into Clawblock get me 60%, and rest are self explanatory. Venom is least important therefore maxed out last. In terms of traps, Wake of Fire, Lightning Sentry and Blade Shield are great 1 point wonders. LS and WoF supplement your WW for stunning effect, both defensively and offensively. BS also helps out with your damage output passively, applying Venom, having AoE component for getting rid of minions, and most importantly, it looks cool. Dragon Talon and Dragon Flight both have their niche uses in some specific matchups.

Fool's claw vs Fury and general attack rating issues
Despite dropping Fool's claw from my setup I'm actually huge fan of those claws in general. 1.10s can produce great Fool's claws fairly reliably, and they can also come with 3os (which means up to 75% OW or 50% OW + jewel, whichever you prefer). Problem with Fool's claws is that you can rarely get both good staffmods on them and 2os for 50% OW which I consider mandatory for Ghost. Also if you compare 1.10s Fool's claws with Fury, you realize that everything else except attack rating is straight up worse. You have much less physical damage, you have less life (eth claws give -10 requirements), less OW, and no control over staffmods. On a budget Ghost with lower AR, or if you can't bother prebuffing with Demon Limb I would recommend starting out with Fool's claw. You need solid attack rating to hit the target on first WW tick so you stun them and then continue to whirl over them. Worst thing that can happen is if you fail first WW check and target goes away. That's actually greatest strength of having Fool's claw – almost guaranteeing that first tick will connect and that you can keep the target in place. Once you get attack rating to sufficient level (usually around 7k) Fury should be the best choice, even non eth.

Attack rating is often time problem for Ghosts, but there are ways around it even without having crazy inventory. Unfortunately you can't have your cake and eat it. If you use any of these it will be a compromise of sorts, but a necessary one. Demon Limb to cast Enchant is great way to boost your AR, and only downside to it is if you can't be bothered with prebuffing. It should increase your AR by roughly 30% but without good AR base it won't matter much. By dropping Oak charges ring for Raven Frost you can still keep Fury claw but your hp and minion stack will suffer. Or you can use Fool's claw to boost your AR, but your physical damage will take a hit. There's no clear winner here, like I said, can't have cake and eat it without great inventory, but there are always options to get acceptable AR.

ATMA bugging claws?
ATMA bugged Grief/Beast have been staple of PvP characters since 1.11 days. With advent of 1.13 and increased rune drops it became theoretically possible to do the same with claws by using Zod rune to create ethereal Zod bugged claws. Zod bugged claws have been around, but with steep price and difficult to find bases with proper staffmods, they are still novelty items in SPF PvP.

Questionable practice aside, these do add significant damage. Going from standard Chaos/1.10a Fool's OW claw to double Zod bugged Chaos/Fury more than doubles physical damage output of a Ghost. This is important, because Venom and OW are both damage over time, and once proper Whirlwind connects, majority of your damage output will be physical. For Grief choice of base doesn't matter as much because it adds flat +400 damage. On %enhanced damage like Chaos/Fury etherealness matters much more. Offensively it's one of greatest damage increases you can get – more than HLW and more than Gore Riders. I think you should do it if you don't mind ATMA bugging as a practice and have couple Zods spare, Fury being more of a priority. Ghost are characters with a bit lower damage ouput comparing to average PvP character and getting ethereal claws somewhat fixes their problem of being able to get outtanked in exchanges. -10 dex req on claws means you can invest more into vitality as well.​

Alternate gear choices
While I believe there's not much to debate here, there are some pieces that I'm still unsure on what should be done with them, namely boots. I don't have good classic rares, so if you build in Waterwalks with their 15 dex and 65 life, you actually profit roughly 330 life total. That's rather big. On the flip side, you can't use boots as emergency measure to cover resistances in case someone brings DWeb or something similar. Having flexible boots means you can slap on Infernostrides for 10 max FR, stack resistances with good rares etc. Gores also raise your damage output by minimum 8% compared to losing ~5% life with Waterwalks. You can't really quantify it because it's complicated but I decided to roll with Waterwalks for now and go with tank theme. I still don't know if it's the proper choice and probably won't ever know. I've been considering use of Shadow Dancers, but their high strength requirement is rough. If you make Dancers setup however, you can completely change your staffmods on claws, because rather than +6 Fade claws, you can have Dancers and beta CtA/Spirit to cast lvl 34 Fade with. They also provide great stats otherwise – 30 fhr covers your breakpoint completely and 25 dex/30 frw is great. Your Kicks would also be much better, and if we had Anni/Torch I firmly believe Dancers would be best boots. Based mosty on hunch, I believe that Classic rares > Waterwalks > Dancers > Gores.

Second thing that's kinda worth talking about is building in Raven Frost 20 dex as your default ring instead of Oak ring like majority of Battle.net build do. Loss in coverage due to Wisp and Oak is rather notable, but RF is actually insane ring if you think about it for a second. CBF means you never have to use Cham Shako and you always keep 50% DR, 20% cold absorb is nice vs Blizz sorcs, 40 mana is always useful and 250AR/20dex boosts your AR by 2k. Even its cold damage is useful when you WW and chill your enemy, they have much harder time walking out of your WWs. RF is amazing, and often time Oak will be completely useless when there's lots of AoE damage like vs Trappers or Wind Druids, and there is also a hassle in using Oak charges and repairing them every couple duels. Building in RF saves you 20 dex which is nice but loss of flexibility makes it not worth it in my book. Still you should have one close by when situation calls for it.

You could theoretically build in RF by having good modded 2/25 1.08 assassin amulet and reaching 65 fcr that way. It would probably be worth it, but to my knowledge 1.08 amulets are being explored only recently and no one actually has something like that. In future who knows…

Traps for stun and getting the initial hit
While both of those traps are used in conjunction with Mind Blast to stun enemy characters, how they work is completely different.
In practice it's very difficult to use traps offensively to stun the opponent, keep him locked and then proceed to WW over them. People just know better to move away from traps right away and not getting tangled with them, but they still have purpose. Majority of the time in order to actually get the initial hit you will just have to namelock, teleport and WW without any setup or traps, unless the target is something that can straight up kill you in exchange like Hammer based Paladins or blocking Wind Druids.
1649256452002.png
One thing where WoF has huge advantage over LS is its very subtle animation. If you throw WoF next to someone, it's entirely possible that it won't get noticed at all. NextDelay on it doesn't matter because you will almost never go with more than one trap offensively – you just don't have the time. If you drop WoF or two close to your character and someone tries to stomp you, those traps will stun them like mad. Druids are particularly vulnerable to this. WoF is much better offensively when you use low number of traps because it stuns harder due to almost twitce as fast firing speed and its subtlety. Whenever I try to namelock a target I go either with WoF or MB. WoF is also much harder to WSG out of than LS due to wide range it covers, and even with only 5 shots it has, it's enough to cripple or kill some caster types assuming your WW is on point.
On defense, LS is great because you have time to set up you defenses and its awareness range is huge. It covers almost entire screen except its corners. LS will react on charging Paladins before you can see them on your screen, and even level 1 LS will kill Oak Spirits very quickly making it very annoying. People have also been conditioned by LS Trappers to avoid LS fields instinctively and that can be used to deny the area of the map too.

Both traps have their purpose, but tl;dr would be WoF for offense and combination of WoF and LS for defense.​

Video
Just a collection of last weeks small FFAs. Have very little to show off, but it's nice to see roughly it works

Conclusion
Now that I've come here I'm not even sure what to say. It goes without saying that I poured insane amount of time and effort on this character. I've reworked her many times with many ideas in mind, but it does look to me like she is for the most part complete. While there are some theoretical improvements that might happen in future, such as 2/25 1.08 amulet or introduction of Anni/Torch into 1.14d SPF, any micro optimizations that might happen along the way will only just change life or AR slightly. I no longer see any tangible improvements that might push her to next generation of Ghost design. And pushed it has been - because of great gear and build, it has outgrown its initial promise of killing casters and has turned into overall great character that can even stand toe to toe with Paladins and even winning FFAs from time to time, something that Ghosts generally have no business with due to low damage output and no ranged potential.

While Youmu absolutely uses some cutting edge gear, I hope that PvP scene can adopt some of the design philosophy of tanky playstlye when planning their Ghosts. It's amazing build that naturally lends itself to aggressive playstyle which increases your personal skill a lot, is ton of fun, style and can do well in right circumstances.

Thanks to everyone who contributed in helping me building this character, and special thank you to SPF PvP scene for ideas and motivation, fun times and for sticking around.​

Last edited:
Excellent and detailed information for anyone willing to create such a build.
From the few PvP games that I played all I can say is that this kind of build is a nightmare to face.
Constantly stun locked, makes you wanna break the keyboard. 😅

Didn't expect the claws to reach this kind of damage, this is outrageous!
And seriously, 7k hit points?!

Wow, that's as much life as Fluffy with full beta BKWB and 6 BO helm prebuff!

I've never used oak sage charges. It's fun to hunt down oak sages on the moor.

Great write-up and very impressive char!
+1 to getting scared when I saw the HP pool, you sure it's a sin and not a barb transformed?

Good info and I will use it when I re-equip my char after leveling her a bit.

Nice write-up! Keep 'em coming.

Some crazy gear, and indeed that life amount is ridiculous. No wonder she can hang in FFA as well. But I guess that's just beta CtA and 07 shako for you. Haven't really begun trying things properly with my Ghost, but while I have the same kind of stats otherwise, that -3k life deficit surely makes a difference. :)

To me, Youmu is one of the scariest opponents around here. Not really feeling the "weaker WW Barb" story line tbh. :D I'm way more uncomfortable facing her than any Barb with most of my chars. That pressure is just oppressive, and danger of getting stunned into oblivion is really scary for so many characters, including many populer/strong PvP builds. Might be down to lack of experience on my end, but I very much prefer facing Barbs with somewhat higher WW dmg/AR/life rather than dealing with all that Ghost pressure. I get that the matchup vs Barbs is horrible, but that doesn't mean she's a weaker build in my book. From the chars I played against her, Necro is the only one that I feel somewhat comfortable with when going up against her, and even there I'm forced into a very defensive gameplay with lots of spamming.

Very well written and built. What you presented here is straight tier 1 character in my opinion. The reason why I weakened my ghost on purpose is because with "proper" build she doesn't really have much competition unless it is pure counter opposition in a form of barb or a strong hammer.

I would much rather play against trapper and bonenec than this kind of a ghost, they are simply easier matches to face from my experience. Against ghost of this magnitude there is no offensive playing option, it is mostly hiding in traps or running away playing style. However, take same ghost without 1.07 and beta stuff and you get rather unimpressive ghost we see described in older guides that "isn't supposed to win FFA matches". Life is mostly everything that makes ghost tough, everything else is not something that is felt that much. I literally reduced life on my ghost, increased damage output and AR, and she became much weaker which is why I'm saying this.

Youmu is very well made character.

Yeah, life really is a lifeline of a Ghost, pun totally intended. That's what ultimately got me to take Waterwalks over Gores for example.

And that really should be takeaway of the thread - eth claws don't matter that much (I sure didn't see any difference, and neither did others), 5000 vs 7000 ar doesn't matter that much, but using 1.07 Shako and Oak ring, then building your character around it does matter a lot. Ghosts are in unique spot where Fade gives you as much %DR as BerBer CoA while keeping 1.07 Shako life boost, using stat heavy items and jewelry etc, and the result is above. Blueprint is here for everyone to try, but I must confess that I'm a bit bummed cause I don't think many will try and do this kind of character, with Grip purposefully nerfing his Ghost </3 and ffs not willing to join the dark side (for now!).

Also regarding Tier 1 character, just nah. If you check the video, there are almost never clear kills from namelock, and you have to go trough series of hits in order to bring someone down, something that just doesn't happen with what we consider Tier 1 builds in general. You seem to forget that just how strong some other builds are and that they also can be optimized to teeth as well. In short, you forgot that @nulio exists, not that I blame you :p What is great about this style of Ghost is that you rarely have to run from anyone and you can control pace of duels completely. I guess that's main reason why they are difficult and oppressive to play against, but I've never experienced it from the other side. I've found that ranged builds like necros or sorcs don't mesh well with me and I don't enjoy playing them much, and prefer to be in drivers seat.

With that being said, I do consider Youmu complete. I honestly can't believe how well this character turned out and how much success I had with her, but now am thinking of some other projects to start. I'm still not sure what those will be and if I'll be making anything anytime soon. Perhaps a flash of inspiration will be needed at some point.

"If you check the video, there are almost never clear kills from namelock, and you have to go trough series of hits in order to bring someone down, something that just doesn't happen with what we consider Tier 1 builds in general"

You just described both trapper and necro

You just described both trapper and necro
Yeah but they can kill you without ever setting foot on your screen or even getting a namelock while Ghost is useless in such situations. You know it, I know it, everyone knows it.

I also know when on your screen ghost is much more dangerous than both trapper and necro. In trapper's field you can dance sambas, and necro in general doesn't go on your screen unless he has the clear upper hand. Even then outrunning spirits is easier than facing ghost who has you in a namelock and wsg leads to zero defense.

I'm simply saying facing trapper and necro feels easier than facing ghost with massive life. But hey, feel free to show how strong trapper and necro could be because so far I don't really see it, not on a good host. I just saw hammer is league of his own above everything else. ;)

froz has been pushing his "my tier 1 character with 3183125 EHP, all old version hax possible, and PvP's most devastating toolkit sucks because she's not as strong as tier 0 hammer dude" agenda for years now. I'm pretty sure he's convinced himself it's actually true at this point.

In any case, this is one of the all time great PvP characters both with the final result and all the effort that went into it this past decade. I pretty much give up when Youmu appears on my screen, since it's kinda just over at that point.

there is no offensive playing option
This. None of the characters I played vs Youmu could even think about going on offense against her. Only way to win is to off her screen and hope the projectiles are enough. ;) Admittedly I never happened to play a buid that does generally well against Ghosts though (Barb, Hammer etc.).

Blueprint is here for everyone to try, but I must confess that I'm a bit bummed cause I don't think many will try and do this kind of character, with Grip purposefully nerfing his Ghost </3 and ffs not willing to join the dark side (for now!).
Hehe, currently I still don't see myself farming previous patches. While things like beta CtA obviously contribute to that crazy life pool, I'd say the differences in concrete item choices between your setup and non-time travel setups mostly just follow from headpiece choice. Without 1.07 Shako, best options I saw (and went for) were 2/20/2os circlet with life/AR/resist jewels, or alternatively Griffon's. Most other differences to your setup simply follow from that decision, with FCR headpiece granting some flexibility on rings/amulet mostly, possibly belt as well... so it's not all that bad, but that life boost has a much bigger impact on her sturdiness of course.

I checked earlier and my (prototype) Ghost has 4.9k life with Oak up, with otherwise more or less similar stats/build etc. Should be playable I guess, but as for FFA I have no idea on how well she can survive... especially considering I have little to no idea on how to play her properly yet. :) Except for a brief 5-10 minute test run I never brought her to a PvP game. But she does seem like a fun build and I'm planning to play her a bit in some of the upcoming PvP sessions.

Reactions: Excalibur
1.07 Shako si the only "problematic" item, all others are actually great. Best item is beta CtA, giving more mana and longer duration for smoother fights, also allowing characters like Bowas to shine. Bowa with 1.07 stuff can do some damage. Shako, on the other hand, mostly just makes assassins and paladins stronger while other characters have to sacrifice DR% effective life to use Shako. With paladins such is no problem since they have block and assassins have 50% DR option regardless.

Overall, what 1.07 Shako does is increases the gap between already strong characters and weaker ones, bringing worse balance to the PvP. Upon removing that one item from my ghost, I immediately noticed she can get killed by bowazon and windy, something that was hard to see before. This was the change that improved my PvP experience even if it weakened the character itself. So... it isn't much about old patch items, it is mostly only about Shako itself. Remove that item and balance of the game is better and other older items don't have much influence on the gameplay except for bowa which does want extra life, extra duration and extra damage to not be a complete joke.

I think even using 1.10+ Shako isn't bad. I'd struggle to find good enough circlet to compete with regular Shako from the items I have. You get to DR cap and retain socket option which is cool. As for numbers themselves, removing beta CtA and Shako cost me both about 730 life each or close. If not using those items I end up at 5800 with Oak or 6500 without 1.07 Shako from very quick testing. There's also a lot you can do since you get free 10% DR and nice mana boost.

I don't consider 1.07 Shako problematic at all. Admittedly, I've been playing this game for ages now so I consider 1.07 Shako fairly casual item to get. When I made a trade threads over the years and offered 1.07 Shako, there was no interest whatsoever, neither HC or SC. My guess is that people who had interest in 1.07 Shako already have it or just don't care about it. Accessibility is not issue when it comes to it, and I've stated multiple times that I'd get one for you if you want to use it on PvP character, just send me a PM. And because it's readily available I don't see it as problematic item. In fact, 2/15 CoA (second most common PvP head piece) is as rare as Tyrael's Might. Sure you can compromise with lower stats but you'd still be lucky to see 1-2 of such items across the entire MFO from all entrants combined. Add in different socketing like ChamBer, Berber Ber/req and it's much more limiting. If you talk about self imposed restrictions and your own style of play, which are perfectly fine and great, well, can't help much with that :/

And as far as balance goes, all classes can use 1.07 Shako and 31% DR in Paladin fashion or use it as an option when you don't need %DR. Two exceptions are bowazons (which have benefited the most from old patches) and Druids which don't really need help at all. CoA is still great contender to use, and often times better than Shako. Is 1.07 Shako better on some classes than others? Yes. But I don't think it's game breaking or balance breaking as you describe it.

All the old version stuff is problematic to be honest. It might only be like a 5-10% gain in theory, but that often translates to a large difference in winrate in competitive games. I pretty much gave up on some of my meme builds in the past because HP pools ballooned beyond my killing power. I think it's mostly fine though. D2 is not really meant to be balanced, and not everyone is like froz who doesn't want to intentionally nerf his characters because he might drop below 95% winrate (also because it feels bad to do so for him, but shh). Youmu will definitely gear gap you, but she's still mortal in FFA/team matches, which I think is the dominant format.

No comment on the "nobody wants my 5124 extra 1.07 Shako" or "5800 life is the same as 7000 life" stuff though. There are those like FFS who don't trade, and some probably don't like time travel or handouts. As for the latter, considering you mention the importance of mana and your need for more of it, you should be using a 5800 life 1.10+ Shako build then if it's even close to as strong as a 1.07 Shako build.

So far we're not playing very competitively around here, so from my perspective there's no issue with using whatever items. And such items don't make Youmu unbeatable. She can be bested, it's just not that easy. As froz described, when just replacing those items with current patch versions, she's just generally well built and would still be a scary character even with 5.8k life.

Granted the margin is reduced a lot, e.g. in comparison to my Ghost life pool it's an extra ~18% instead of a ~47% improvement. :D Obviously life is paramount in PvP, so that's a significant difference of course. But I'm sure if we ever play in a more competitive format such as PvP tournaments, people like Grip and froz would have no issue with not using OP time travel items. In fact, at some point we were thinking about tournament formats, and to me it seemed there was a general consensus to that end, allowing only current patch items. Maybe we can tackle this after RFL btw. :)

I think it is awesome Froz is building as strong characters as possible. That way we can see what they are capable of and besides his ideas are useful even for players who don't or won't use all items. He showed us how strong hammer can be, and now we can see strongest ghost in action. I'm curious to see what can be done with trapper and other builds too. Necro too is something I'd like to see as well as windy. My comment on balance wasn't meant to say someone shouldn't build strongest characters out there and play them.

I built what feels the strongest variation of a barb. He has warcry, 15k AR option, natural 15 OW with additional OW option, 63 fcr option, Fury bugged axe... and even added poison resist gloves this time! Screenshot shows standard CoA setup with Nature's Peace.

1649752732256.jpeg

I certainly won't shy away from playing him like this as I enjoy doing it and that's exactly how Froz feels about his characters. Granted, Vegeta has no Shako as standard option, but is very expensive build to make this way. And imagine, even HE can't beat Youmu. Just shows you how strong Youmu really is. Well done Froz at creating such monster!

So... I want to see more of strongest character variations out there and play against them. Winning odds don't matter.

Reactions: ffs
@Gripphon we need details on all of your characters as well! No worries you don't need to go in-depth liek froz, I would accept an overview similar to what I did. ;)

Back on the topic of itemization for Ghost without time travel stuff: @frozzzen I thought about modern Shako as well, but ultimately it felt a bit lacking in comparison to combinations with a good 2/20 circlet or Griffon's, each opening up other slots for more useful stats. FCR and resists needs are covered much more easily than with Shako, granting a lot of flexibility and better stats from jewelry slots and potentially belt. There's also Verdungo's if extra DR is really needed, given headpiece provides FCR to make up for dropping Arach in a Shako setup.

In your case almost all resists are covered from inventory, which makes perfect sense as it's min-maxed around 1.07 Shako. Replacing Shako with its modern version works nicely based on your setup of course, but not sure whether that's better than a min-maxed circlet/Griffon's setup. Apart from a bunch of additional stats from circlet/jewelry, resists requirements from inventory are much more lenient, allowing use of better charms etc.

Personally my interim conclusion was that ideally I'd be using Griffon's on my Ghost, and I might explore that a bit more. Unfortunately I don't have a 2/20 amulet for Sin, which (ideally with nice other stats) I think would be perfect along with Griffon's, opening up both ring slots and belt. Things like Oak ring, Raven and OW craft belt come to mind. Also Metalgrid combined with Arach is a nice option with Griffon's, still keeping both ring slots flexible.

Anyway, first I need to actually learn how to play her. :D Hope we can get some nice PvP activity around the Easter holidays!

Reactions: Miron
Casual trolling aside, I'm not sure how I'd build modern Ghost, as general guides don't include Oak ring, but my guess would be getting 65 fcr with combo of Ber Griffon's, Trangs and Arach. You could use Mara's + RF + Oak ring. Mara's + Griffons + Arach all give +skills that affect your BO level as well, and getting ~30 allress from head + amulet really isn't bad. But it mostly comes down to the fact that I've never seen modern belt to beat Arach and in general Assassin circlets aren't something I've had luck with either. All those items are fairly generic/bland and easy to get without needing a single craft, and if you consider 7k AR to breakpoint of sorts, then RF is loaded as hell, because you will be able to use majority of inventory for covering resistances/mana. In the end you make best combo with items that you have, and that's exactly what I've done for this character :D

@Gripphon Yeah, that barb is rather disgusting, tnx for polluting this thread -_- (also power of love I guess)
I tried to theorycraft barb with 1.07 Shako and Dungo, and I'm not really sure. One definite advantage I see that you can aim for 37 fcr breakpoint and frame advantage on WW if you use Trangs + 17 fcr amulet specifically, but I have a feeling that you can't cram 175 allress and sufficient AR and FHR without classic boots and/or nulio charms if I decide to use Shako. Also I it depends on quality of 2/17 amulet which I don't have even plain. I kinda expect that at the nulio tier items 1.07 Shako might edge out a bit, but CoA setups are likely best or at least equal for everyone else. I'm not sure if you also came to that conclusion with your items, but I just don't have items or willpower to optimize my Barb to the same level as Ghost. Would really like to see updated thread of that Barb.

PurePremium
Estimated market value
Low
High