Tournament: The Sword of Destiny

Re: Tournament: The Sword of Destiny

SixStringer, I wanted to Make a bow of destiny tourny but i guess thats ur next idea.

SixStringer, I wanted to Make a bow of destiny tourny but i guess thats ur next idea.

Actually, I was thinking more flexible than that. Each player would get to pick the weapon type that suits their destiny. So, you could start your character and choose "Spears" or "Maces" or "Daggers" and the first set or unique that drops from your chosen category is your Weapon of Destiny.

Anyway, that's a discussion for the future. I have enough to focus on getting Turin through NM!

Unfortunately Vega is dead :( and just before reaching Andy too. I met with a pack of extra fast lightning spitting beasts just after opening Andy's large doors. I retreated to lure them to the small doorway so that i can fight them one on one. My bone armour was protecting me from many things but their lightning attacks has been my biggest problem since i first met them in nightmare, my LR was 27. Once i reached the little doorway they were already on me and i had a bit more than half health. I tried to click just behind the door but instead clicked on it and closed it. I panicked a bit, clicked to drink a health potion, and tried to reopen the door. Don't know why but couldn't open the door with my first couple of clicks, and then why opened it, it closed again on my face just before i saw the deeds screen :doh:. While i was fighting with the door my moron was stuck inside Andy's room corner.

It was fun and i was hoping to proceed a bit longer. But i decided that i will never again join a tourney with a SC char. All the while playing the character, i though and planned how i would proceed with the char once i am dead and out of the tourney, and which items i would twink over as final gear and such. I also tried to use my stats according to those final stat requirements. There were even times where i thought a dead would be a way out of this slow going :hide:. I faced a couple of NDE situations just because of my carelessness and died at the end with a couple of full reju potions in my belt. I really tried to survive but still can't keep myself from thinking if i could have survived given that it was real HC.

Enough talking, I will re-enter with a charger to be Paladin named Pindleskin :crazyeyes:. He will definately be HC. I won't be able to play much for a couple weeks though.

Code:
Name         Character       Class       Area         Level  Current Sword
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Cyrax        BigSword        Amazon      Guardian      79    SoD: Blacktongue (upped + shael)
jimmah       Sven            Barbarian   H Rouge camp  70    SoD: The Patriarch (upped + shael)
Nogan        myswordisbigger Barbarian   N Harrogath   64    SoD: Soulflay (upped + shael)
Kavarin      Lancelot        Necromancer N RoF         52    SoD: Soulflay
Kimppi       ChosenOne       Barbarian   N Panda Fort  53    Rare Espandon
Moonfrost    Bul-Kathos      Barbarian   N Kurast Docks52    SoD: Soulflay (upped)
Zuggz        Zeath           Necromancer N Lut Gholein 48    Sup Flamberge Flawless ruby, topaz, skull
Raver        Helena          Assassin    N Cats        47    Rare Bastard Sword
jiansonz     Marion          Sorceress   N Blood Moor  49    SoD: Shadowfang (jewel of prosperity)
altima       Gawain          Barbarian   N Rogue Camp  37    Rare Flambarge
Whommy       Brynhilda       Amazon      N Rogue Camp  45    SoD: Blacktongue
Sorcererbob  Snowman_Frosty  Paladin     Ancients Way  30    3sock claymore: EthEthTal (eth sup bastard sword on switch for bosses)
Snarfer      Paul_Bunyan     Druid       Harrogath     32    Claymore/flawless ruby/topaz/saph
Sixstringer  Turin           Paladin     Harrogath     31    SoD: Shadowfang
Thaquitz     Thrain          Barbarian   L. Kurast     26    2-H/Jwl of Envy/flwd emrld/flwd skull
Dlav         Uncle-Sam       Paladin     Spider Forest 22    Superior Claymore/Tal/Ral/Ith
Sixstringer  Desdemona       Sorceress   Kurast        23    Claymore/Amethyst/El
Hanshotfirst Hinamori        Sorceress   Kurast        25    2-H/Tal/Tal/Tal
Rhia         Pointu          Amazon      Lut Gholein   19    2-H/ch saphire, topaz, and skull
Carolus Rex  Conan           Barbarian   Lut Gholein   20    Claymore/2 ch skull
Haerviu      Scorpeia        Amazon      Lut Gholein   20    2-H/ch-Topaz/Emerald/Saphire
buraz        Blade           Druid       Lut Gholein   21    2-H/ch skull, topaz & emerald
sdbramwell   Bladestone      Paladin     Lut Gholein   22    Claymore/topaz/Jewel/flwd emrld
DemonOfWrath Sardinath       Barbarian   Far Oasis     22    Claymore/flawed topaz saphire and skull
Baajir       Orlog           Necromancer Black Marsh   13    2-H / ch topaz
Nagisa       Gintoki         Necromancer Stony Field   10    Sup 2-H/ch saph,ruby,emerald
FaNCy        Harlequin       Amazon      Cold Plains    7     -
NacRuno      Pindleskin      Paladin     Rogue camp     1    Starter sword
sveinbjorn   Sir_Robin       Paladin     Rogue camp     1    Starter sword
Ordeith      Moiraine        Assassin    Rogue camp     1    Starter claw
[highlight]Fallen Heroes[/highlight]
Code:
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
XxuberstarxX Boxxy           Assassin    H Cold Plains 64    SoD: Shadowfang (upped + shael)
Raver        Natasha         Amazon      N Pand        59    Claymore/ Tal / Ral/ Jewel
Nunka        Gurloes         Paladin     N Travincal   58    Zweihander/12% ED jewel/2x pskull
Buraz        Macho           Barbarian   N SpiderCave. 50    SoD: Soulflay (upped + shael)
PFSS         TwoBob          Paladin     N Maggot Lair 44    Rare Flamberge
XxuberstarxX Elessar         Paladin     N Maggot Lair 48    Flamberge/2x ort/2x ral
NacRuno      Vega            Necromancer N Catacomb 4  45    Rare Giant Sword
Hanshotfirst Hinamori        Assassin    N Catacomb 4  46    Rare Giant Sword
Sixstringer  Sangar          Paladin     N Stony Field 41    Flamberge/Jewel of Ire/Ith/Skull
Justin       tourny-one      Barbarian   PandFortress  33    GiantSword (ith, sapp, jewel (5max dam, 17 ar))
Greizer      WoodChuck       Barbarian   Chaos Sanc.   30    Claymore (Tir+chipped skull+lol)
skoolbus     Lancelot        Paladin     Chaos Sanc.   25    SoD: Shadowfang
Sixstringer  Stormblade      Paladin     Chaos Sanc.   30    Claymore/Ral rune, jewel of envy
Nunka        Dorcas          Sorceress   Chaos Sanc.   32    Sup Clay/saph/topaz/emrld
JayeM        Garvin          Paladin     D. of Hate 3  29    Rare claymore
sdbramwell   Crisendon       Paladin     CanyonMagi    24    Claymore/JoEx2
stbay        Xerber          Paladin     Jail Lev1     17    2-H / 3x jewel of envy
JayeM        Groo            Barbarian   Triangl tomb  26    Rare claymore
ShadedOne    Deuxmains       Paladin     Duriel's      25    2-H/ch saph/ch skullx2
JayeM        Howell          Druid       Canyon/Magi   25    2-H/ruby/skull/J.ofEnvy
sveinbjorn   Elric           Necromancer Tal's Tomb    24    2-H/2 ch emrld/skull
Greizer      LeChuck         Paladin     Tal's Tomb    23    3sox Claymore/20psn jewel/12%dmg to mana jewel/empty
Greizer      Sassy_Lass      Sorceress   Arcane Sanct. 21    Claymore (Skull+12% ed jool+flawed emerald)
jamesixgun   Judith          Assassin    Lost City     24    2-H/ch 2x ruby/saph
jamesixgun   OrangeJuice     Barbarian   Lut Gholein   20    2-H/+3 min Jewel/fl topaz/ch ruby
sveinbjorn   Begg Galoot     Barbarian   Stony Field   12    2-H/3 ch em
Brutass      HugeWilly       Barbarian   Catacomb 4    18    2-H/normal sword
sveinbjorn   Fafhrd          Barbarian   Cathedral     19    2-Hand/2 ch emrld
bcoe         Walter          Paladin     Catacomb 3    17    2-H/JofEnvy
sveinbjorn   Miyumi          Assassin    Jail Lvl 1    17    2-H/2 ch emrld
Rhia         Baam-Baam       Sorceress   The Pits      17    2/H/ch topaz,ch rub,ch emerald
TLOD         Norris          Barbarian   Balck Marsh   17    2-H/ch topaz.ch skull
JayeM        Leona           Sorceress   Monastery     16    2-H/Ch Skull/topaz/sapp
PFSS         Bob             Paladin     Duriel        20    Claymore/+5Max/+7Max

Sorry about Vega, NacRuno. May he be avenged by your soon(ish) to be charger!

Brynhilda has made decent progress since my last update. I spent a lot of time shopping belts/gloves/armor for crafting. Unfortunately the results are less than stellar. My first Blood Gloves got 10% CB :)alright:) but only 1% life leech and nothing else worthwhile. Almost immediately afterwords I found rare gloves with 20% IAS and charges of slvl 3 Weaken. I thought that was an exceedingly interesting find, though I'm not sure how useful weaken is, really. But every bit helps, right?

Anyway, Brynhilda slowly pushed her way to Andariel's lair. All was going well until I opened the door to Andy's chamber and was immediately rushed by 2 boss packs. The first was an extra fast lightning spitter pack, and the second was a group of conviction enchanted zombies. One hit from the lightning balls took 3/4 of Brynhilda's health. I immediately started slamming full rejuvs and RAN back towards the exit. I made it out, but decided that going back into that was suicide. So, S&E, and try again. The second time was no problem, and Andy only took about 3 trips to town.

Once I got to Act 2, I switched to a HF merc. I really liked having Prayer, since my life bar was almost always full, but the prospect of Physical Immunes made me switch. I also socketed the Blacktongue with a Tal, to try and up the poison res. Brynhilda does such pathetic damage that I'm debating if it is even worth upgrading the sword, or if my Perfect Emerald's wouldn't be better spent crafting.

Act 2 has been a steady grind so far, mostly done on /p7, except for the Maggot Lair, because I hate (hatehatehate) doing that area with weak chars. I have gotten to the Arcane Sanctuary and explored 3/4 of the branches. No Summoner yet.

Code:
Cyrax        BigSword        Amazon      Guardian      79    SoD: Blacktongue (upped + shael)
jimmah       Sven            Barbarian   H Rouge camp  70    SoD: The Patriarch (upped + shael)
Nogan        myswordisbigger Barbarian   N Harrogath   64    SoD: Soulflay (upped + shael)
Moonfrost    Bul-Kathos      Barbarian   N Kurast Docks52    SoD: Soulflay (upped)
Whommy       Brynhilda       Amazon      N Arcane Sanc 54    SoD: Blacktongue + Tal
Zuggz        Zeath           Necromancer N Lut Gholein 48    Sup Flamberge Flawless ruby, topaz, skull
jiansonz     Marion          Sorceress   N Blood Moor  49    SoD: Shadowfang (jewel of prosperity)
Sorcererbob  Snowman_Frosty  Paladin     Ancients Way  30    3sock claymore: EthEthTal (eth sup bastard sword on switch for bosses)
Snarfer      Paul_Bunyan     Druid       Harrogath     32    Claymore/flawless ruby/topaz/saph
Thaquitz     Thrain          Barbarian   L. Kurast     26    2-H/Jwl of Envy/flwd emrld/flwd skull
Dlav         Uncle-Sam       Paladin     Spider Forest 22    Superior Claymore/Tal/Ral/Ith
Sixstringer  Desdemona       Sorceress   Kurast        23    Claymore/Amethyst/El
Rhia         Pointu          Amazon      Lut Gholein   19    2-H/ch saphire, topaz, and skull
Carolus Rex  Conan           Barbarian   Lut Gholein   20    Claymore/2 ch skull
Haerviu      Scorpeia        Amazon      Lut Gholein   20    2-H/ch-Topaz/Emerald/Saphire
buraz        Blade           Druid       Lut Gholein   21    2-H/ch skull, topaz & emerald
sdbramwell   Bladestone      Paladin     Lut Gholein   22    Claymore/topaz/Jewel/flwd emrld
DemonOfWrath Sardinath       Barbarian   Far Oasis     22    Claymore/flawed topaz saphire and skull
Nagisa       Gintoki         Necromancer Stony Field   10    Sup 2-H/ch saph,ruby,emerald
Code:
XxuberstarxX Boxxy           Assassin    H Cold Plains 64    SoD: Shadowfang (upped + shael)
Raver        Natasha         Amazon      N Pand        59    Claymore/ Tal / Ral/ Jewel
Nunka        Gurloes         Paladin     N Travincal   58    Zweihander/12% ED jewel/2x pskull
Buraz        Macho           Barbarian   N SpiderCave. 50    SoD: Soulflay (upped + shael)
XxuberstarxX Elessar         Paladin     N Maggot Lair 48    Flamberge/2x ort/2x ral
Sixstringer  Sangar          Paladin     N Stony Field 41    Flamberge/Jewel of Ire/Ith/Skull
Justin       tourny-one      Barbarian   PandFortress  33    GiantSword (ith, sapp, jewel (5max dam, 17 ar))
Greizer      WoodChuck       Barbarian   Chaos Sanc.   30    Claymore (Tir+chipped skull+lol)
Sixstringer  Stormblade      Paladin     Chaos Sanc.   30    Claymore/Ral rune, jewel of envy
Nunka        Dorcas          Sorceress   Chaos Sanc.   32    Sup Clay/saph/topaz/emrld
stbay        Xerber          Paladin     Jail Lev1     17    2-H / 3x jewel of envy
ShadedOne    Deuxmains       Paladin     Duriel's      25    2-H/ch saph/ch skullx2
JayeM        Howell          Druid       Canyon/Magi   25    2-H/ruby/skull/J.ofEnvy
sveinbjorn   Elric           Necromancer Tal's Tomb    24    2-H/2 ch emrld/skull
Greizer      LeChuck         Paladin     Tal's Tomb    23    3sox Claymore/20psn jewel/12%dmg to mana jewel/empty
Greizer      Sassy_Lass      Sorceress   Arcane Sanct. 21    Claymore (Skull+12% ed jool+flawed emerald)
jamesixgun   Judith          Assassin    Lost City     24    2-H/ch 2x ruby/saph
jamesixgun   OrangeJuice     Barbarian   Lut Gholein   20    2-H/+3 min Jewel/fl topaz/ch ruby
Rhia         Baam-Baam       Sorceress   The Pits      17    2/H/ch topaz,ch rub,ch emerald
TLOD         Norris          Barbarian   Balck Marsh   17    2-H/ch topaz.ch skull
JayeM        Leona           Sorceress   Monastery     16    2-H/Ch Skull/topaz/sapp
PFSS         Bob             Paladin     Duriel        20    Claymore/+5Max/+7Max
[/QUOTE]

@NacRuno: Sorry about Vega, but your thoughts on HC vs SC are interesting. I've just started playing tournaments this summer, but they've all been HC characters. I have no doubt I'd play differently if it were SC.

On another note, I'm learning a lot about Sacrifice. For one, I have been underestimating the value of max/min damage charms. I hadn't seriously considered that items/charms/etc that add to minimum/maximum damage can equal substantial boosts to your overall damage output when multiplied by Sacrifice and Fanaticism.

Here's the example that brought the point home. Turin's max damage went up 131 points in the span of about 10 minutes in the NM Blood Moor/Cold Plains and he didn't change weapons (obviously) or gain a single level. He found two sharp grand charms (which add max damage and AR). These both added +7 to max damage. Normally, I normally wouldn't pay much attention to them, but one also had FHR which was an improvement over the FHR charm I already had in my inventory. My damage went from 404 max to 472.

A few minutes later I found the second GC, which sent the damage up to 535.

Now, imagine what will happen once I upgrade Shadowfang, and base damage goes from 16-34 to 36-80 . . .

As the saying goes, damage is king.

Actually, I was thinking more flexible than that. Each player would get to pick the weapon type that suits their destiny. So, you could start your character and choose "Spears" or "Maces" or "Daggers" and the first set or unique that drops from your chosen category is your Weapon of Destiny.

That would be awesome! (although the sword idea was pretty good too, inspite of my whinging :))

Anyway, I'm taking a break for about a week, so good luck to all in the meantime.

Some screenies from areas covered in the last update:

Radament fight. This is the perfect distance for us to fight greater mummies - out of reach of their dangerous melee attacks.
You can see the fire damage is adding up nicely. Life is also going in the right direction.

Using the terrain to our advantage. Teleport really opens up some tactical options.

Lots of new gear this act, but one of the coolest finds is something that´s stashed for now, but with great potential later: this sword. If I could upgrade it to exceptional, I´d change merc type right now, but I have no Amn rune. (And I drool at the prospect of this one as a Legend Sword...)

I found a rare Circlet, which of course was exciting to ID. Complete crap, and I left it (which I regret now - should have tried the 6 skulls recipe!).

Marion´s AR has improved quite a bit, thanks to this beauty:

Steel Grand Charm of Sustenance
Keep in Inventory to Gain Bonus
Required Level: 37
Item Version: 1.10 Expansion
Item Level: 49
Fingerprint: 0xbe171fe2
+28 to Life
+108 to Attack Rating

and a 48/28 Iron Grand Charm of Sustenance.

The maxed Enchant triples the effect of extra AR on the gear, so these charms meant a serious boost. Along with some other upgrades, my AR went from about 600 to about 1300 in this act. Still not good, but I am getting there...

Another couple of Caster Amulets were crafted. I currently use one with +1 Sorceress skills. I added back some resist charms, plus I have accepted to play with 60% fire resist for now. I really should take this amulet off when I cast Energy Shield (my life/mana relation is not adapted to level 2 ES) but I usually can´t be arsed to.

Emilio´s weapon is slightly improved, from the +93% ED Poleaxe to a +78% ED Bill.

A monster type we completely dominated were the Specters/Apparitions. They fell really fast. They must be low on both life and fire resistance.

Confident in our fat damage output, I took on Duriel at /players 5. All I can say is: "OUCH!". That was clearly a mistake. Merc takes super high bonus damage from him, and Marion gets hit by every damn attack! With 770 life and 85% cold resist, she can take a couple of hits, but it was still scary and even dangerous a few times. Those greater healing potions work far too slowly for Marion´s liking (and safety) (and my super healers got depleted quickly). I used about 15 full rejuves and spent 300k gold on merc revives and potions. Took me 20 minutes and many many "rounds" to take the big slug down. Here, I am past the halfway point, at least.

The drop: a magical item and four rare weapons, all of them were completely uninteresting weapon types (i.e. no sword, bow, spear or polearm). :rolleyes:

I had hoped I could craft some Greaves in Act III, so I muled in five PEmeralds, five Ort runes and five jewels. However, Asheara seems to be really stingy with Greaves. Out of five tries, she had no boots three times, and only Light Plated Boots the other two. I guess Greaves are added last in the sequence, and the shopping window usually becomes so full that they don´t fit in. (Sigh.) Guess I have to wait another act for the major Greaves crafting...

My rune luck has not been good, imo. Here is the current collection:
El-Nef: I have enough for whatever needs I may have
Eth-Tal: none (burned a large amount of these to cube a Ral for another amulet craft)
Ral: none
Thul: none (no drop whatsoever)
Amn: none (no drop whatsoever)
Sol: 1
Shael: 1
Dol: 2

[Highlight]Destroyer Marion the Enchantress and Emilio the Holy Freeze merc, level 60, NM Spider Forest next[/Highlight]

I'm just rambling along at my own slow pace. Though I enjoy reading what everyone else is doing! Normal Duriel took me 35 minutes to win as my merc died five times and I went back for potions too many times to count. I couldn't hit Diablo myself, so I let my merc handle that particular glory.
Code:
Whommy       Brynhilda       Amazon      N Arcane Sanc 54    SoD: Blacktongue + Tal
Rhia         Pointu          Amazon      Kurast        25    Rare Great Sword
Code:

Bul-Kathos continued to make very slow but steady progress today. NM Act 4 is history and despite some parts taking a heavy toll on my patience (more on that later), I managed to complete it in one go (~2 hours).

Sadly, my damage output is starting to annoy me because it's too low, especially since I can only hit one mob at the time. When each mob takes 3-6 hits to kill and each screen has about 5-15 of them, things get pretty boring. I don't have any IAS on my gear and having found no Shael yet, I can't socket the sword either.

Eventually, I settled with a hit-and-run strategy, taking a few steps at the time and taunting most mobs in sight. In general, this strategy works excellent on mobs that spawn other mobs (Grotesques, Maggots) and ranged/caster mobs (Oblivion Mages, Stalkers) because it forces them to come to me, which negates their mob spawning abilities and ranged attacks. This also creates a choke point where all mobs gather and are quickly frozen by my Act 3 mercenary. It's a strategy I've been using for some time, actually, but it didn't start to truly shine until Act 4.

Still, luckily I did manage to find some upgrades today. The first and probably biggest upgrade came in the shape of a fantastic, well-rounded pair of boots I horked off a particularly annoying CE + cursed + mana burn boss (well, anything that slows my attack speed is annoying):

Code:
Eagle Stalker
Sharkskin Boots
Defense: 66
Durability: 14 of 14
Required Strength: 47
Required Level: 29
Item Version: 1.10+ Expansion
Item Level: 59
Fingerprint: 0xbc661635
Fire Resist +36%
Lightning Resist +14%
70% Extra Gold from Monsters
23% Better Chance of Getting Magic Items
30% Faster Run/Walk
+28 to Defense (Based on Character Level)
While I found the FR redundant, having 75 FR already, it allowed me to swap a 20% FR GC for a LC/SC combo that grants 14 life and 6/3 poison damage. The 6/3 SC is quite pathetic, really, but it's the best I had. However, a couple of minutes later the following SC dropped and there was much rejoicing:

Code:
Foul Small Charm
Required Level: 31
Item Level: 56
Fingerprint: 0x76592253
+50 poison damage over 4 seconds
Awesomeness!

So, I moved onwards and eventually reached the Hellforge. Hephasto, the cheap bastard, was kind enough to provide me with both arrows *and* bolts - as if just one of them wasn't bad enough. I even put on my ethereal 22% MF gloves, hoping he'd drop something useful. Still, the trip to the Hellforge provided quite worthwhile in the end. The rune is my second ever and required for the exceptional -> elite upgrade, so you could say it was the one rune I wanted to find the most with this particular character.

Now, I knew the Chaos Sanctuary would take some time, but I didn't expect it to take as much time as the rest of Act 4 did. Much to my disappointment, I quickly learned OKs are immune to taunt, which meant my previous strategy was somewhat useless in CS as it allowed them to curse me instead of just run towards me. This forced me to use Berserk as my main attack, which lead to some health/mana issues due to no leeching (I have 11% LL and 9% ML). I could still taunt the other mobs, but had to chase the OKs which resulted in them running away and bringing adds, slowing everything down.

Things were made worse by the three boss packs guarding the hallway leading to Diablo's pentagram thing; that part alone took me about 20 minutes to clear, mainly due to a very frustrating OK boss named Sharp Hack the Flayer. The combination of base cold damage, decrepify and extra fast gave me quite a headache - each time I managed to get close and hit him once or twice, he would slow me down to a halt and then run a full screen away. Whenever I tried to follow, a new group of mobs would spot me and join the fight. By the time I had killed the adds, during which mr Sharp Hack kept bombarding me with all kinds of fun curses, Sharp Hack's health would've regenerated to full and everything would repeat all - over - again.

After spending a good 10-15 minutes fighting him, I made it a point to thoroughly hork his corpse, but sadly he refused to share anything of use.

The rest of CS went pretty smooth and even Diablo didn't put up much of a fight. His drop was of no use so I quickly left for Harrogath, where I'm currently resting.

Code:
Moonfrost    Bul-Kathos      Barbarian   N Harrogath   57    SoD: Soulflay (upped)
Code:

Haha sorry Moonfrost but I couldn't help but laugh at your adventures.

Haha sorry Moonfrost but I couldn't help but laugh at your adventures.

Ya same here. He sounds like a perfect coward in battle haha....much like the way I play :whistling:

Btw great progress Moonfrost! Hopefully you are able to keep that kind of patience when you reach hell, that's where you will really need it.

@Jiansonz - I went through the exact same thing. From Act 1 NM and onward, all I wanted to do was craft a pair of Safety Boots, but no one sold a pair of greaves until Act 4. I kept reseting Ashera's stock, but she never had any.

@Moonfrost - I have the Lum rune you need. I'll trade you for your Pul. :p Also, Taunt not working on OKs is nothing compared to the fact that Grim Ward doesn't spawn off undead enemies, which ruined the strategy I had been using since the start of NM.

No updates, I haven't been playing my character. The gear I'm wearing is safe enough to take me somewhat comfortably through Hell, but my damage output will make progress slow. It's fun to read how your experiences coincide with my own.

Chosen One is now mustering courage to face Diablo. Act 4 this far hasn't been much of a challenge, although I'm running p1 which might cause that :).
The only problem have been those Balrog-dudes because of my low fire resist (10 with BO) but nothing major really.

Forge dropped an Io and also found 9@ jewel with some random 2nd mod. I also got excited when a rare cuirass dropped at the steps down to the river, but it rolled terrible mods so no use of that.

Oh yeah, I almost forgot. I was wondering if we should make a separate table for the guardians? Maybe behind a spoiler if it would take up too much space.

[highlight]Running[/highlight]
Code:
Moonfrost    Bul-Kathos      Barbarian   N Harrogath   57    SoD: Soulflay (upped)
Kimppi       ChosenOne       Barbarian   N RoF         55    Rare Espandon
Code:

I realized I hadn't updated Turin since entering NM.

Almost ready for some NM countess running...

Code:
Sixstringer  Turin           Paladin     N Dark Wood   45    SoD: Shadowfang
Code:

@Moonfrost - I have the Lum rune you need. I'll trade you for your Pul. :p Also, Taunt not working on OKs is nothing compared to the fact that Grim Ward doesn't spawn off undead enemies, which ruined the strategy I had been using since the start of NM.
Can't you use Howl as a substitute? It involves more effort, but the result is roughly the same.

Anyway, I farmed Eldritch for a while, partly for the loot but mainly to increase my level and consequently my hit chance as well. It currently rests at 70-75% but is sure to drop down to 65ish % towards the end of Act 5, so improving it is a priority. Fortunately, I found some decent items in this regard, one of which was well suited for my loot hunting endeavours to boot. Its name was rather interesting as well:

Code:
[highlight]Cruel Mask[/highlight]
Rage Mask
Defense: 87
Durability: 37 of 45
(Barbarian Only)
Required Strength: 88
Required Level: 29
Item Level: 62
Fingerprint: 0x8d91ea3c
+9 to Energy
+17 to Life
Lightning Resist +15%
+1 to Battle Cry (Barbarian Only)
[B]+2 to Find Item (Barbarian Only)[/B]
14% Chance to cast Level 5 Nova when struck
[B]60% Bonus to Attack Rating (Based on Character Level)[/B]
Cruel Mask? I understand it's a mask, but why is it cruel? Its stats are all right: you got the +2 to Find Item, some LR, some life and a hefty bonus to AR... so what's the catch?

Well, after putting it on I quickly realized the problem. Just look at that: red armor, teal sword, blue helm with white horns - that's not a fearsome barbarian, that's a buff clown. I look like a demon from the rainbow plane. Ever since I put it on, I can swear my merc is keeping his distance to me, as if he doesn't want to be seen with me. Cruel Mask indeed.

Still, being used to mismatched, clownish outfits thanks to 3-4 years of WoW, I got over the looks eventually. In the end I got a few level ups and some interesting loot as well, such as the following charms, the first which provided some much needed source of cold damage when my merc isn't able to provide it for me, and the second for obvious reasons:

Code:
Serpent's Small Charm of the Icicle
Required Level: 40
Fingerprint: 0x5159c8ea
+15 to Mana
Adds 2-3 cold damage over 1 seconds

Small Charm of Vita
Required Level: 39
Fingerprint: 0xf2b8994
+20 to Life
To cure my AR problems I'm considering picking up a Blessed Aim merc, so I figured the following polearm was a keeper. I found the Amn rune needed to up it while running Eldritch as well, so that was pretty convenient.

Code:
Shadow Wrack
Poleaxe
Two-Hand Damage: 45 to 97
Durability: 38 of 65
Required Strength: 62
Required Level: 33
Polearm Class - Fast Attack Speed
Item Level: 58
Fingerprint: 0xeb1f58fc
+151% Enhanced Damage
Poison Resist +10%
Adds 6-12 fire damage
20% Increased Attack Speed
In all fairness, I'm liking my current merc so I might stick with him in the end. He's not much more than a freezebot and will be further reduced to that in Hell, but at the same time it might prove more useful than ever to have someone AoE freeze the mobs right next to me. I guess it comes down to how well he performs in the rest of Act 5. Later tonight I might find out.

Code:
Moonfrost    Bul-Kathos      Barbarian   N Frigid HLs  60    SoD: Soulflay (upped)
Sixstringer  Turin           Paladin     N Dark Wood   45    SoD: Shadowfang
Code:

Oh yeah, I almost forgot. I was wondering if we should make a separate table for the guardians? Maybe behind a spoiler if it would take up too much space.

:)

Well the barbs should be okay - they are not hugely disadvantaged but as for the rest... well Cyrax impressed me already, but let's say I'll be surprised again by any more non-barb Guardians. (I've no idea how Lancelot will make it through NM ancients, let alone hell)

In my guardianthread is a post which makes me think i should withdraw from the table. I can't properly guote it here, since it already contains a quote.
But the point is that my merc has used a grey lance with a flawed topax in it for a pretty long time. Rule 13 forbids the socketing of merc gear, so i suppose it also forbids the use of 'natural sockets', just as with the gear of your regular char. Even though it's a pretty awful weapon, it is against the rules and has been used for some time (though i have progressed large parts of hell without the merc). And also it is accidental just as the first time, it still is the second infraction of the rules on my part.
That's why i considered withdrawing. Period. But i thought i'd rather ask what other's think of it first before taking rash action. If anyone thinks i should be removed from the table than please do so and i'll totally understand and accept it.

In my guardianthread is a post which makes me think i should withdraw from the table. I can't properly guote it here, since it already contains a quote.
But the point is that my merc has used a grey lance with a flawed topax in it for a pretty long time. Rule 13 forbids the socketing of merc gear, so i suppose it also forbids the use of 'natural sockets', just as with the gear of your regular char. Even though it's a pretty awful weapon, it is against the rules and has been used for some time (though i have progressed large parts of hell without the merc). And also it is accidental just as the first time, it still is the second infraction of the rules on my part.
That's why i considered withdrawing. Period. But i thought i'd rather ask what other's think of it first before taking rash action. If anyone thinks i should be removed from the table than please do so and i'll totally understand and accept it.

Keep in mind that I am not participated in this tournament, but a flawed topaz only adds 1-14 lightning damage, which is basically insignificant. Now if it was a flawed emerald then it would obviously be a huge infraction (poison damage causes prevent monster heal, which is game altering). If that was the case then your character should be removed from the tournament. But given your infraction my opinion would be to just add a asterisk next to your character on the list.

@Cyrax, bladejj:

I did post a response to this issue in the Guardian thread, which is where I first realized it (after having apparently not read it so carefully the first time around.)

To sum: I don't think it merits disqualification at all. If someone happens to tie with Cyrax at lvl 79, then I would suggest the other player (had he not used sockets)would be declared the technical winner.

I plan to clarify these kinds of issues in the rules for any future tournaments I might host.

After about 40 runs, the NM countess finally dropped a Sol.

It was a pretty good set of runs. I managed to grab a ton of rals and orts for crafting, a four socket Bastard Sword, three Shael's, a Thul, and this drop. The Amn immediately went in my Shadowfang.

The amulet from that drop was also an upgrade.

I now have what is probably my endgame sword: The Shadowfang Espandon. Even if I get lucky enough to get a Pul and a Lum, I'm not sure I want to up it again, because I can now spend pretty much all my skill points into Vitality.

The damage boost to Sacrifice, with level 11 Fantacism on and level 9 Redemption as a synergy:

Before upping: 221 -582
After upping: 434 - 1072

Not too bad.

One last note: You guys that were looking for Greaves have been hunting in the wrong place. :)

PurePremium
Estimated market value
Low
High