Tournament: The Apprehensive Adventurers! (An entry level SC tournament with a HC option!)

Question: Any item other than rings or amulet that do not meet requirements of 1 and/or 2 may not be used unless it is a white or non-socketed item.Does this rule mean that a unique unsocketed item can be used? I realize that it would not get points, but I think I would prefer the unique item over a few points.
Non-socketed just means that you can use a grey socketed item instead of a white one as long as you don't put anything in the sockets. (Since with nothing filling its sockets it's equivalent to a white item.)

Reactions: Vang
NM Diablo defeated for another 7 points. Same applicable gear which includes all self-repair and an ethereal self-repair crown. One point deducted for skills.

Need to farm for XP/levels next.

Code:
Softcore Table
Forum Name        Character Name       Class   Level      Location               Score
-----------       ---------------      -----   -----      ------------           -----
Vang              Lost                 Asn        70      Rogue Camp H             69
Triple Helix      Mazikeen             Asn        54      Pand. Fort. NM           62
Flan              ColdAsIce            Pal        42      Lut Gholein  NM          42
Cattleya          Torben               Pal        25      Harrogath                28
Nazdakka          TyphoidMary          Ama        10      Stony Field               0
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hardcore Table
Forum Name        Character Name       Class   Level      Location               Score
-----------       ---------------      -----   -----      ------------           -----
Wolron            SP_WolronShock       Pal        21      Lut Gholein/Deeds         21
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Reactions: Kartongen
Something started nagging at the back of my brain just now regarding the shadow master I was using from a guide. I went back and re-read the rules, and think that using her is basically the same as a summoner revive. She had 1 hard point, but with the crown I'd found previously she was pumped up to 3 skill points.

At any rate, I think in fairness that a point for each of the act bosses the shadow master was used for should be deducted (NM Duriel, Meph, Diablo), which I'll reflect in the table below. I'm not going to use her from this point, and am headed back to Normal to respect that skill out.

If anyone sees any errors or problems with my scoring or anything else, please let me know. I'm a bit new at the tournament stuff and not always on top of things as much as I probably should be. :whistle:

Code:
Softcore Table
Vang              Lost                 Asn        70      Rogue Camp H             69
Triple Helix      Mazikeen             Asn        54      Pand. Fort. NM           62
Flan              ColdAsIce            Pal        42      Lut Gholein  NM          42
Cattleya          Torben               Pal        25      Harrogath                28
Nazdakka          TyphoidMary          Ama        10      Stony Field               0

Hardcore Table
Wolron            SP_WolronShock       Pal        21      Lut Gholein/Deeds         21

Edit: revised table... appears that shadow master use was okay

Last edited:
Something started nagging at the back of my brain just now regarding the shadow master I was using from a guide. I went back and re-read the rules, and think that using her is basically the same as a summoner revive. She had 1 hard point, but with the crown I'd found previously she was pumped up to 3 skill points.
I think you're okay with the Shadow Master. In the rules discussion thread, @Vang said that rule specifically was for Summonmancers.

I think you're okay with the Shadow Master. In the rules discussion thread, @Vang said that rule specifically was for Summonmancers.

Thank you Cattleya. I'd forgotten about that thread, and it seems to clear that up. She was mostly a distraction anyway (like my pitiful merc still is), and I may add her back later.

Going to edit my last post to revise the score table.

Think I'm officially headed to Hell, found a Duriel's Shell I can use, but maybe regulated to mercenary only. Not really geared well and got a couple +skills, but overall pretty lack luster in finding ethereal or superior socketed items I can make into better stuff.

Bartuc's Claws dropped too during a random run.

For anyone thinking of starting this tournament I would highly suggest:

Shopping for a few shield with Enhanced Durability and multiple sockets before saving Charsi. I would be in a heck of a lot better place if I bought 2-3 of them.

The last couple of days I've run NM Pindle for levels and gear before trying to take on Baal. Mazikeen went from level 54 to 66 (on /players 1), and gold reserves went past 2 million at Pindle's expense. Whereas I'd had very good luck finding self-repair gear from normal Pindle in this tournament, I was surprised there was not much to write home about this time other than a +skill assassin amulet and a tower shield with 3 sockets and extra durability that I may eventually make an Ancient's Pledge from if needed in hell.

I also gambled for assassin claws at Anya once I reached level 65 and went through almost the full 2 million in gold! Didn't find a single ethereal or self-repair claw or even one with extra durability, but a few with +skills that I sold back to Anya -- that was tough.

After a break, I decided to take on the Ancients and then Baal. The Ancients weren't too bad when using the separating technique. I had recommissioned the shadow master and she was at level 14, and she was much tanker than my holy freeze merc (who doesn't have much of a weapon or any life steal).

WSK wasn't too bad either. Baal's minions weren't very rough except for Lister's crew, and the Merc had to be revived a few times.

Baal himself took longer than I expected, and I had a couple of deaths there.

I've been dreading hell for a few days now thinking my setup probably wasn't going to cut it. Being untwinked is one thing, but untwinked and gear-restricted on a character I don't have much experience with didn't bode well! Vang's post last night worried me even more. :ROFLMAO: So I did a little research and decided after cleansing the Den of Evil on hell difficulty I'd respec Mazikeen one last time if hell difficulty seemed above my pay grade. It did.

Mazikeen is now a trapper. Took her out for a spin in the Blood Moor and Stony Field just to get a feel for using traps, and that was a blast (found a Lem that probably dropped from Rakanishu's bunch). Then we got to Blood Raven, and she and her crew were LI and killed my merc repeatedly before she went down. Still fun stuff. Resists are not too bad with Fade active.

Same applicable gear as before to kill NM Baal, and a point deducted for the skills used (Phoenix Strike), while an extra point added for using the ethereal crown with self-repair mod.

Code:
Softcore Table
Triple Helix      Mazikeen             Asn        69      Rogue Camp H             69

Hardcore Table

Resized_013fde91-9695-4621-84d5-70caafbc9170.jpeg
Resized_7f0b83f0-8778-4238-8fd1-9cb5cfe1ef8f.jpeg

Last edited:
Reactions: Zyr
Mazikeen took down hell Andy with traps and especially Fire Blast for 7 points (one point deducted for skills, one extra point added for ethereal crown with self-repair mod, and the rest were qualifying gear for one point apiece).

It was slow going in Act 5, but fun with the new skills (traps). I also brought back the shadow master since I couldn't rely on my merc to stay alive or do damage. However, on level 3 of the catacombs I found a 4os halberd for Insight. I'd previously made a Strength runeword out of an ethereal claw but never had used it because it would wear out eventually, but with traps that shouldn't happen anytime soon. Anyway, I equipped the Strength claw which allowed the merc to equip the shiny new Insight halberd, which cuts down a lot on blue potions when laying traps, etc. It also brought the Merc's damage up to a respectable level so he can actually kill stuff!

Also found a shadow skiller GC in the Underground Passage. Not going to complain that it wasn't a trap skiller. :p

Code:
Softcore Table
Triple Helix      Mazikeen             Asn        71      Lut Gholein H            76

Hardcore Table

Edit: found 4os bec-de-corbin instead of halberd.

Last edited:
Reactions: Zyr and Vang
@Triple Helix Staying half-a-step ahead of you it seems, but you are going to overtake me in points unless I find multiple nifty things soon.

Made a Bone Rhyme from an ethereal shield and wiffed on 2 ethereal swords swords and 2 superior swords for a spirit.

Lore Helm, +1 assassin claw, and +1 amulet puts me a +3 total skills.

I self-imposed the restrictions on mercenary as well, but want to switch to an Act 1 and will as soon as I have a spirit sword while she wields a Harmony.

Code:
Softcore Table
Vang              Lost                 Asn        78      Kurast Docks H           81
Triple Helix      Mazikeen             Asn        71      Lut Gholein H            76

Hardcore Table

Last edited:
Mazikeen took down Duriel for 7 more points at level 73, wearing the same gear as with Andy. Actually this was a couple of days ago but I was too lazy to write it up lol. Clean but long fight with some merc deaths, and the drops weren't anything helpful.

After the fight I went back to The Pit because of being under leveled again. Didn't keep count of how many Pit runs there were, but ran it until she was level 80. Had my first Vampire's Gaze drop right off the Black Marsh waypoint on the way to The Pit on one run, and it was my first in D2R despite many MF runs on all the usual suspects with other characters. Also had a Gul and an Um drop in The Pit. Actually had a number of uniques and set items drop there as well, and MF was only 11%, which was surprising. Found a 4os increased durability longsword and made a Spirit runeword from it, and then made an Ancient's Pledge from an increased durability tower shield I'd found a while back.

I got to thinking it would be cool to make Treachery with a Lem I found in Act I earlier, but I never found a 3os qualifying piece of armor (and didn't want to be disappointed with the socket recipe on a couple of ethereal pieces I'd found) so that will have to wait till I find what I need lol.

Never found a better base polearm for Insight for the merc in The Pit, which is a shame because he needs it!

Anyway, this evening it was off to Act 3 again, and Meph just went down for another 7 points, and Mazikeen is now just under level 82. Merc died a few times in the fight, which is an improvement over the usual several times.

Code:
Softcore Table
Triple Helix      Mazikeen             Asn        81      Pand. Fort. H            90
Vang              Lost                 Asn        78      Kurast Docks H           81

Hardcore Table

Took down hell Diablo for 6 points. I'd changed my ethereal crown with self-repair mod earlier to a Lore ethereal helm so that the merc could equip Vampire Gaze and stay alive a bit better with the life steal, so didn't get 2 points from that piece like previously.

Diablo was a pretty easy fight this time, though before getting to him there were lots of lightning and fire immune monsters that dealt plenty of damage. His drops weren't very good, but there was a rare wyrmhide armor piece for the merc that had +19 to strength which might come in handy later.

Also got a perfect topaz from Hellforge (along with an Io :rolleyes:), which I took as a sign I should try the cube for 3 sockets in an ethereal mesh armor piece for Treachery (not the best armor but it's what I had). No kidding, got the 3 sockets on the first try. But the durability is only 23/23 and I'm not sure that's the smartest way to spend that Lem right now lol.

Code:
Softcore Table
Triple Helix      Mazikeen             Asn        82      Harrogath H              96

Hardcore Table

Reactions: Vang and Zyr
Mazikeen will now be known as Matriarch Mazikeen.

Hell Baal went down after a looong fight for 7 points again. I'd equipped a Bonehew on the merc in Act 5 that I'd found in Act 4 for extra damage over the Insight and just chugged lots of blue potions. I also took his Vampire Gaze off so Mazikeen could wear her ethereal crown with the self-repair mod again for the extra point. It's not like the life steal was keeping him alive anyway lol. Anyway, seems like the fight lasted 30 minutes or so, with no deaths for Mazikeen. Merc died so many times I was down to only enough gold for 2 more revives. Since I didn't trust the merc anyway in this tournament, I left him dead for the last quarter of the fight lol. The level 20 shadow master was a pretty good tank anyway.

Phew, what a long, tough, but fun journey! Mazikeen went from a Tiger Strike/Dragon Tail martial artist to Phoenix Strike, and then finally a Lightning/Death Sentry trapper in Hell. Learning all the different skills was challenging but a ton of fun. For a good while from Normal through NM I wanted to kick myself for not choosing a character and class I was very familiar with such as a barbarian, or somewhat familiar with such a paladin. But I really wanted to try out an assassin, and glad I stuck with her. I really wish I could've stayed with a pure martial arts build, but my skill and patience would have played out before NM was completed. Again, I believe had Mazikeen been twinked with gear I'd been saving for an assassin as well as other general gear in the stash, she could've made it fairly easily as a martial artist. Probably going to try that at some point.

Anyway, I'm pretty sure this was my first tournament. There's been a whole lot of life that's happened both at work and home since I quit playing D2 in 2010?, and I'm amazed how much I've forgotten about this game, though I was never an expert as many in the SPF are.

This tournament was never much about competition for me, just about participating in and interacting with the SPF community, and about commitment and discipline. And to have fun! Mission accomplished, and I look forward to the next at some point!

Good luck to the rest of the apprehensive adventurers!

P.S. I have screenshots of all my current gear and skills in lieu of a character dump, which isn't available on the Xbox. There are a bunch of them, so for now I'll just post the one until needed.

Code:
Softcore Table
Triple Helix      Mazikeen             Asn        83      Completed               103

Hardcore Table

Resized_e5dc481d-c6a6-4150-80dc-63ff18092d05.jpeg

Congrats Triple Helix!

Unfortunately, my father has been ill and was hospitalized, so play time has really been limited to some easy runs on my Javazon. Not sure when/if I'll be able to get back to the tourney, though it has been fun and difficult.

Congrats Triple Helix!

Unfortunately, my father has been ill and was hospitalized, so play time has really been limited to some easy runs on my Javazon. Not sure when/if I'll be able to get back to the tourney, though it has been fun and difficult.
My best wishes for your father, @Flan.

Well done on the Matriarch @Triple Helix. I have very much enjoyed following your journey through the posts you made here.
How was the various builds on a controller? Aiming with things like traps seems really hard for me, although I have never tried it with controller. And what is your next endevour?

and best wishes to your father @Flan

@Flan hope your father is doing better

Well, I finally killed Baal. Found Dracul's Grasp in WSK 2 or 3. Rest of stuff from Docks-Baal were pretty uneventful. Chaos Sanctuary by far took the longest amount of time.

Trappers are not really my playstyle and I'm glad to be done with that. By having the extra restriction on my mercenary it made them pretty much useless.

My final three acts I wasn't able to find an superior with increased durability on an item to over take Triple Helix's 1 point spread!

Screenshot088.png

Code:
Softcore Table
Triple Helix      Mazikeen             Asn        83      Completed               103
Vang              Lost                 Asn        82      Completed/Mat           102

Hardcore Table

Congrats, @Vang! Definitely a challenging journey.

I felt the same... my merc was mostly just along for the ride and I couldn't keep him on his feet for very long.

It also seemed like finding any good gear upgrades sort of ground to a halt after NM for me.

I plan on twinking Mazikeen and finding some useful and fun things for her to do when I get more time after some other projects are finished. :D

PurePremium
Estimated market value
Low
High