Tournament: The Apprehensive Adventurers! (An entry level SC tournament with a HC option!)

Vang

PurePremium
Staff member
Guide Author
Feb 23, 2006
Story

You remember Tristram and the screams of the villagers from afar while they were being dragged into that church and into the depths.

Then rumors swore of the Rogue Camp and a rogue that led the charge in Tristram has now been corrupted they said by evil. She is now guarding the Cemetery. You fought them off and destroyed the Evil Blood Raven. Then you went and was told by the only one you trust, Akara, that Deckard Cain was able to be rescued. Upon returning to Tristram you saw him. GRISWOLD. Why was he not eaten like all the others? He wanted to serve the dark lords!

You entered the Barracks and Charsi lost her hammer, likely story! She wanted to arm the minions!

When you entered Lut Gholein you could hear screams below the Palace and when you tried to enter, they told you that you could not pass! What is Jerhyn conniving below?

In Kurast, why was it over ran and why did all the denizens turn evil? Hratli and his trickery I bet.

The Pandemonium Fortress, why has it not been attacked! Halbu has been supplying the Demons with weapons for ages and you can hear it in the whispers as you search the souls of the dead who once tried to stop the demons, and Tyrael’s friend Izual! Why that Angelic Demon traitor.

Finally, Harrogath. Nihlathak was said to be the traitor, but I bet the town voted for it. Anya just was the unlucky one who was to be sacrificed, wonder why she never went next to her alleged friend and potion maker? Malah!

Welcome my fellow forum members to the tournament of The Apprehensive Adventurers!

This is an entry level tournament that is mainly a SC based tournament, though separate standings for HC will exist.

Rules specific:

1. You may not repair your goods (Even via cube recipes).
2. You may not shop for any items after you complete Charsi’s quest in normal. (You must complete it at time of return, and may not continue until you do so)
3. Potions and scrolls are able to be shopped for the entire game.
4. Gambling is allowed though only items that meet the requirements maybe equipped, rings/amulets are exempt due to no durability.
5. Bows/Xbows may not be used by player (Rogue Mercenary may equip a bow)

Item specific rules:

1. Any ethereal item maybe used.
2. Any non-ethereal item with the repair mod, indestructible, replenish, higher than normal durability maybe used.
3. Any item other than rings or amulet that do not meet requirements of 1 and/or 2 may not be used unless it is a white or non-socketed item.
4. Rings, Amulets, and Charms have no restrictions to use or equip.
5. Quest rewards (Charsi/Anya) maybe used if they meet requirements.
6. You do not trust mercenaries. They may not equip an item with a higher rarity level than you in each slot (White/Blue/Yellow/Green or Orange/Unique or Runeword)

Scoring is done at the end of each act according with what was equipped defeating the Act boss:

Rings, Amulets, and Charms provide no point value and have no restrictions.
Your weapon switch provides no point value.

Each item slot can provide one of these point values:
  • 1 point an item with one or more of the following: repair mod, indestructible, replenish, or higher than normal durability item.
  • 1 point for an ethereal item
  • 2 points for an ethereal item with one or more of the following: repair mod, indestructible, replenish, or higher than normal durability.
  • Two-handed weapon only: Double the point value of your weapon.
Negative points are applied as follows
  • -1 point for using attacks that don’t use durability as main way of killing (Spells, Traps, Blade Fury)
  • -1 for summoners (defined as having an army of skeletons/revives)

FAQ:

I went to sell and clicked repair all because I'm so used to it!!!, what do I do?:
Hopefully everything has a repair all mod, so nothing as it'd repair in time and you just wasted your gold. But if you had an item with extra durability, you may no longer use this item either stash it (for another character) or sell it.

A good way to avoid this is to avoid any repair people.

What about Paladin auras: If you are attacking, no negative value.
What about hiding behind a mercenary/golem/bear/wolves/valk: No issue unless your not attacking, though you can sit back for a fight or two!
Crowd Control skills: Stuns, curses, etc: All good if your still attacking away.

General Rules:

1. D2R is recommended for this tournament, though 1.13/1.14 is allowed for non-D2R owners (May play on PC or console versions)
2. Softcore or Hardcore
3. Any player setting is allowed and may adjust as you see fit (big chest!!!!)
4. Rerunning is allowed, you may also play as single-pass (Please use SP in front of name if we get a character bracket going)
5. You are allowed to go back to a previous difficulty for any reason.
6. Any merc allowed. Mind their restrictions on equipment though to not exceeding your equipment rarity (Shield is same as weapon if you have no shield in the case of an Act3 mercenary)
7. Replays as a different class are allowed.
8*. Atma/GoMule is allowed as an extended stash only ----D2R all you stash maybe used, including extra tabs.
9*. FAM is allowed
*Not sure if they can be used in D2R

Last edited:
Reactions: D2DC and Pb_pal
I'm going to roll it with an Assassin to start. I want to do a character that can possible go to the untwinked 99er thread at some point and I feel this is where I could do it.

Code:
Code:
Softcore Table
Forum Name        Character Name       Class   Level      Location               Score
-----------       ---------------      -----   -----      ------------           -----
Vang              Lost                 Asn         8      Stoney Field               0

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Last edited:
Will be joining later, just need to decide on my build (though I think I know).

I'm in with a Tesladin. I'll probably be slow starting off. I've got a couple D2 projects right now, and the end of the year tends to significantly cut down my video game time. Still, I've really missed SPF tourneys and this looks like a great one to ease back in with.

Code:
Code:
Softcore Table
Forum Name        Character Name       Class   Level      Location               Score
-----------       ---------------      -----   -----      ------------           -----
Vang              Lost                 Asn         8      Stoney Field               0
Cattlyea          Torben               Pal         1      Rogue Encamp               0
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Reactions: Vang
Took me a while to choose a class/build, but I'm in with a Tiger Strike assassin.

Code:
Code:
Softcore Table
Cattleya          Torben               Pal         1      Rogue Encamp               0
Triple Helix      Mazikeen             Asn         1      Rogue Encamp               0

Last edited:
Going to try a Frost Zealot. Question, how do items in weapon switch affect your score?
Code:
Code:
Softcore Table
Cattleya          Torben               Pal         1      Rogue Encamp               0
Triple Helix      Mazikeen             Asn         1      Rogue Encamp               0
Flan              ColdAsIce            Pal         12     Stoney Field               0

Going to try a Frost Zealot. Question, how do items in weapon switch affect your score?
Code:
Code:
Softcore Table
Flan              ColdAsIce            Pal         12     Stoney Field               0
Will update that: Whichever you use to kill the act boss, additionally added a point bonus for those wielding two-handed weapons.

Last edited:
Will update that: Whichever you use to kill the act boss, additionally added a point bonus for those wielding two-handed weapons.
Thank you. One more question for clarification. Are white/blue/yellow/green all on the same scale? If I have a magic weapon, can my merc use a rare, for example?

Thank you. One more question for clarification. Are white/blue/yellow/green all on the same scale? If I have a magic weapon, can my merc use a rare, for example?
No. The only ones that can be two different colors/types are the Crafted or Set items (same group) or Uniques and Runewords (same group)

First update: I've slain Andariel (Hint: Bug her and she is more likely to drop +durability items if you are re-running her, more useful in NM or Hell though I imagine)

Charsi came though:

1635606224290.png

Andy went down rather quickly and dropped a Rare Amulet with 15% MF, a Pilum with replenish quantity and a rare skull cap:

1635606366958.png

I was able to shop before the hammer and get repair boots (and found a pair) and gambled a belt that had repair.

Giving me a total with my repair shield of 6 points of 7 as my gloves didn't have any bonus (guess an error on mine by not buying a superior one before using the hammer to make my item.

Code:
Code:
Softcore Table
Vang              Lost                 Asn         16      Lut Gholein               6

Attachments

• 1635606500337.png
    1635606500337.png
    1.4 MB · Views: 3
Last edited:
I wanted to add the same thought @Vang did on boss drops: the quest drop from bosses guarantees at least set quality, which means that every magical item from the boss quest drop is a failed set item with double durability and thus a legit item to use :)

Probably won't join this until I finished my random character (who is only about to finish NM).

No. The only ones that can be two different colors/types are the Crafted or Set items (same group) or Uniques and Runewords (same group)

Got you, was reading it differently. Did not affect me, I wanted to be sure before I did it.

Took down Andy, scoring 7 points. Nothing very exciting, used a gemmed/jeweled superior axe but durability is starting to run low. Have a self repair 2 hander on switch to be safe for now, but hoping to find something decent in the desert.

Need clarification on socketed items... items with sockets can only be used if not magical, rare, set, or unique... is this correct?

Getting close to Andy, will update once she goes down.

Need clarification on socketed items... items with sockets can only be used if not magical, rare, set, or unique... is this correct?

Getting close to Andy, will update once she goes down.

A white or socketed item can be used to fill a slot if need be, but provides no points and can not be socketed if an open socket exist.

A superior item with Enhanced durability with sockets can be filled to the brim (basically how you will be able to make runewords in non-eth items)

As long as the magic or better item meets requirements of 1 or 2 it can be socketed or given a socket from quest or SOJ (probably not that last one)

Added a picture for reference:
example d2 sock.jpg

Last edited:
A white or socketed item can be used to fill a slot if need be, but provides no points and can not be socketed if an open socket exist.

A superior item with Enhanced durability with sockets can be filled to the brim (basically how you will be able to make runewords in non-eth items)

As long as the magic or better item meets requirements of 1 or 2 it can be socketed or given a socket from quest or SOJ (probably not that last one)
Thanks. Haven't used any socketed item yet, but wanted to be clear.

Just beat Andariel with self-repairing helm, shield, boots, belt, armor, and gloves, and an extra-durability wrist blade for 7 points. Took longer than I would have guessed to make it that far, but good fun.

Andy dropped a decent set of rare self-repairing boots. Hoping to find some self-repairing assassin weapons soon.

***Edit: Not sure if we update the full table after killing an Act boss, but my current stats are below.

Code:
Softcore Table
Triple Helix      Mazikeen             Asn        14      Lut Gholein                7

Last edited:
Well, it's a good thing this is a SC tourney as Torben had his first death in the Barracks to a cursed goat man pack. I'd already had a few close calls with some packs with less dangerous mods, so I really should have been more careful with the zeal lock. After that I dropped the players down to 1 (from 3) which helped, as did finding some replenishing throwing axes to replace his self repair club. Charsi decided to troll me with some MF/Fire Resist/FHR boots with no repair mod. They were ethereal, though, so they got used on Andariel. Before facing Andariel I blew a whole bunch of gold gambling belts hoping for a 3rd row of potions, and finally got a rare with a self repair mod.

Code:
Code:
Softcore Table
Vang              Lost                 Asn        16      Lut Gholein               6
Cattleya          Torben               Pal        17      Lut Gholein               7
Triple Helix      Mazikeen             Asn        14      Lut Gholein               7
Flan              ColdAsIce            Pal        12      Stoney Field              0

Well, it's a good thing this is a SC tourney as Torben had his first death in the Barracks to a cursed goat man pack. I'd already had a few close calls with some packs with less dangerous mods, so I really should have been more careful with the zeal lock. After that I dropped the players down to 1 (from 3) which helped, as did finding some replenishing throwing axes to replace his self repair club. Charsi decided to troll me with some MF/Fire Resist/FHR boots with no repair mod. They were ethereal, though, so they got used on Andariel. Before facing Andariel I blew a whole bunch of gold gambling belts hoping for a 3rd row of potions, and finally got a rare with a self repair mod.

Code:
Code:
Softcore Table
Vang              Lost                 Asn        16      Lut Gholein               6
Cattleya          Torben               Pal        17      Lut Gholein               7
Triple Helix      Mazikeen             Asn        14      Lut Gholein               7
Flan              ColdAsIce            Pal        12      Stoney Field              0
Your not the only one. I've died a few times because I'm being a bit more careless, but I'm having lots of fun, knowing that it doesn't end with that.

Hit 23 and on my ~100k to 20k I finally got these:

1635651761016.png

Haven't been able to play much, but Radament is dead with no issues. Used an ethereal socketed shield with 2 emeralds for some extra poison resist (used with Andy too), so that seemed to make things a bit easier. My one handed axe is about done, so been using a self repair two handed until I decide to gamble.

I have vanquished Duriel!

Weapons are lacking as I'm using Claws of Thunder my choices are rather limited to well, umm claws. Other than the spiffy boots above, nothing of note or upgrades really.

Base set of repair durability and an ethereal claw to round out my 7 points.

Code:
Code:
Softcore Table
Vang              Lost                 Asn        26      Spider Forest            13

Reactions: Triple Helix
I have vanquished Duriel!

Weapons are lacking as I'm using Claws of Thunder my choices are rather limited to well, umm claws. Other than the spiffy boots above, nothing of note or upgrades really.

Base set of repair durability and an ethereal claw to round out my 7 points.

Code:
Code:
Softcore Table
Vang              Lost                 Asn        26      Spider Forest            13
Flan              ColdAsIce            Pal        19     Lut Gholein             7
Nice work. I did find my first unique, Shadowfang, but ,can't use it unfortunately.

PurePremium
Estimated market value
Low
High