Tournament: The Apprehensive Adventurers! (An entry level SC tournament with a HC option!)

Have a good time Vang.

Rescued Anya and took out Nihlathak, but my weapon has really lived out it's usefulness and I hope to get something better. I did get to make Ancient's Pledge in a large shield, so my resistances are maxed (except cold is slightly below).

Reactions: Kartongen
Really busy weekend since it was probably the last nice one of the year. Did kill Baal, but will update table later. Now sporting rares with increased durability in every slot (except Ancient's Pledge shield), and have rare two hander on switch for some enemies. Was able to do some runs with nothing useful, but will probably move on to NM pretty soon.

Act 3 has been completed. The jungle part was rough. Zeal spreading the damage around means more time with stuff alive and hitting him which was brutal when swarmed with flayers. He finally hit 24 and has Holy Shock. Hopefully things will be a bit more smooth from here as he builds it up and doesn't rely so much on physical damage.

Meph dropped a double durability cudgel with no other interesting mods, so it went into my pile of weapons to use until they break. I got a nice Durance 2 map, so I'll probably do some Meph runs before continuing on. After killing Meph I decided to swap my Rogue merc for and Act 3 cold merc. I'm hoping he'll be the least gear dependent merc option, and the extra CC should be helpful.

Code:
Softcore Table
Forum Name        Character Name       Class   Level      Location               Score
-----------       ---------------      -----   -----      ------------           -----
Vang              Lost                 Asn        47      Lut Gholein  NM          41
Triple Helix      Mazikeen             Asn        32      Rogue Encamp NM          35
Cattleya          Torben               Pal        24      Pandemonium Fort         21
Flan              ColdAsIce            Pal        30      Harrogath                28
Nazdakka          TyphoidMary          Ama        10      Stony Field               0
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Oh my what a drop! (J/king, no idea where the Andy screen shot disappeared too)
Screenshot076.png

Overall Act 2 was pretty uneventful, but died a couple times. Not really digging this kicking build, really am debating about taking the point hit and switching to blade fury!!! (my favorite skill)

Found this item which was a pretty decent upgrade (though I lost 15% MF)

Screenshot073.png

And Duriel's drop of lots of nothing good (well other than crafting runes!):

Screenshot075.png

Code:
Softcore Table
Forum Name        Character Name       Class   Level      Location               Score
-----------       ---------------      -----   -----      ------------           -----
Vang              Lost                 Asn        54      Kurast  NM          48
Triple Helix      Mazikeen             Asn        32      Rogue Encamp NM          35
Cattleya          Torben               Pal        24      Pandemonium Fort         21
Flan              ColdAsIce            Pal        30      Harrogath                28
Nazdakka          TyphoidMary          Ama        10      Stony Field               0
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Reactions: Triple Helix
Haven't played Mazikeen as much lately due to some RL stuff and a couple of side D2R projects to get back up to speed after such a long absence from D2. Feeling those same vibes, @Vang, but I'm thinking a breakthrough is coming in NM so going to continue with the martial arts route for now. :p

Before trying much in Act I NM and based on the advice that clevel 32 was pretty low for NM, I took Mazikeen back to Normal to farm Pindle. Great place for both XP and gear, and it built my gold back up selling items. Was able to replace just about all of my old gear, though most of the new stuff found was still in the 20s in terms of item level. I actually made screenshots of it all, but it's not really all that amazing, just better than what I had before!

Went back to NM Andy with higher clevel and gear. All gear used was rare with self-repair mod except for the assassin weapon (ethereal) and belt (blue sel-repair) and the unremarkable rings and amulet, of course. Andy went down after a few trips to town for Merc revives. Nothing great dropped this time either! Been finding some uniques and set items, but none useful or practical so far.

Code:
Softcore Table
Vang              Lost                 Asn        54      Kurast  NM               48
Triple Helix      Mazikeen             Asn        42      Lut Gholein NM           42

Edit: the newer gear was good in that it helped round out some resistance deficits.

Last edited:
ColdAsIce has taken down the Countess pretty easily, and will probably do so a few times for some runes. Fun fact: NM Griswold does at least 417 points of damage when he explodes, which kills the unwary.

Code:
Softcore Table
Vang              Lost                 Asn        54      Kurast  NM               48
Triple Helix      Mazikeen             Asn        42      Lut Gholein NM           42
Flan              ColdAsIce            Pal        42      Black Marsh  NM          35

I intend to enter a shock Paladin. I am going to start to play him, but I have no idea of the protocol used to get into the table and make entries to record my progress.

I intend to enter a shock Paladin. I am going to start to play him, but I have no idea of the protocol used to get into the table and make entries to record my progress.
Welcome aboard, I'll get you entered in.

Easiest way is to go to the last reply that had a table and click reply on it. It'll quote the table text like this:
[NOCODE]Softcore Table
Forum Name Character Name Class Level Location Score
----------- --------------- ----- ----- ------------ -----
Vang Lost Asn 54 Kurast NM 48
Triple Helix Mazikeen Asn 42 Lut Gholein NM 42
Flan ColdAsIce Pal 42 Black Marsh NM 35
Cattleya Torben Pal 24 Pandemonium Fort 21
Nazdakka TyphoidMary Ama 10 Stony Field 0
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------[/NOCODE]

Made fake tags so you could see it laid out

Then you fill in your field and preview, adjust the text, preview, adjust the text, rinse and repeat until it looks uniform.

Minor update: Reached Pindelskin, nothing of note found really other than a cool Targe with 45 resist all and self-repair....Going to run pindleskin hoping to get an upgrade to mercenaries weapon.

Code:
Softcore Table
Vang              Lost                 Asn        58      Cry. Passage NM          62
Flan              ColdAsIce            Pal        42      Black Marsh  NM          35
Wolron            Unnamed              Pal         0      Rogue Camp                0

Minor update here also.

Went through Act 2 yesterday and got to Duriel, but didn't defeat him. My assassin didn't die, but the merc died within seconds every time I'd ressurect him and retry, and my assassin couldn't do it alone lol. It's obvious I need a weapon with more damage and life leech for the merc, and some extra levels would help him too I'm sure.

Ran normal Pindleskin and NM AT and Pit for a couple more levels, but no good merc weapons dropped yet and I ran out of time for the day. Hoping to be able to run some more this evening.

SP_WolronShock is sitting in the Rogue Camp at level 15 after rescuing Cain. He is playing hardcore on P8. Here is what he has found:

I think I have 7 points
(1 point) Superior Cap with increased max durability of 11%
(1 point) Glyph Mangler Rare spiked club with repair 1 durability in 33 seconds.
(1 point) Ghoul Ward Rare Buckler with repair 1 durability in 33 seconds.
(1 point) Ethereal leather gloves
(0 points) Sash (white)
(1 point) Superior boots with increased maximum durability of 10%
(1 point) Ethereal Leather armor of the Jackal (blue)
(0 points) A couple rings and an amulet
(0 points) A few charms
Some Javelins with +1 damage (white) are in the off-hand. (however, I will not use them because I want to use a bow (white) for the merc.
(1 point) The Merc uses ethereal quilted armor.

Question: I have found bows for the merc, but did not use them because they were either white or gray. Now that I have a rare club, I think I can use one of those bows. (is that correct?) How does the off hand weapon figure into this? Must the offhand weapon also have to be higher in color?

Code:
Hardcore Table

Wolron            SP_WolronShock        Pal      15      Rogue Camp                7

Wolron, you don't score until you complete an Act, so you have to take out Andariel before you get your 7. You can equip your merc with the same level weapon as you have, so you can go up to a rare now that you are using a rare club.

As for me, NM Andy is down with crap drops to show for it. Had a moment of insight, realizing I'm better off using P1 because way less wear on my extra durability items that have no self repair mod.

Code:
Softcore Table
Vang              Lost                 Asn        58      Cry. Passage NM          62
Flan              ColdAsIce            Pal        42      Lut Ghoein  NM           42
Wolron            SP_WolronShock       Pal        15      Rogue Camp                0

I tried to do some Meph runs, but it was draining my rejuv reserve too much. I did get him to drop a double durability armor with life and fire resist, which has been helpful. I went on to Diablo. Swapping to the cold Act 3 merc has definitely made things safer. Izual broke 2! of the ethereal weapons in my stash before he died, but didn't pose a threat. Diablo himself was a major pain. Zeal lock is scary with the lightning hose, and trying to use normal attack was missing too much. The end result was a marathon fight with 2 deaths and all of my rejuvs used, but Torben was victorious. And Diablo dropped absolutely nothing of use.

Edit: Just noticed that Wolron is HC so added the second table.

Code:
Softcore Table
Flan              ColdAsIce            Pal        42      Lut Ghoein  NM           42
Cattleya          Torben               Pal        25      Harrogath                28

Code:
Hardcore Table
Wolron            SP_WolronShock       Pal        15      Rogue Camp                0

Last edited:
Now that I have a formidable merc with a bow, it is time to trade her for a barbarian. Nothing very exciting is happening. I am surprised at the number of ethereal and self repair items. I have not seen anything that is both ethereal and SR. WolronShock is strong enough to go head to head with all the opposition so far (even Andariel) I suppose that will change luckily the new merc has a real nice rare Bardich.

Code:
Softcore Table
Cattleya          Torben               Pal        25      Harrogath                28

Code:
Hardcore Table
Wolron            SP_WolronShock       Pal        21      Lut Gholein                13

Well I've made it through NM. I'm taking the point hit and switching to a trapper for the time being. I may respect back later, but alas not really enjoying this subpar kicker.

Probably will go back to NM to run a few Baal runs though.

Good finds of note:

Screenshot077.png

Unusable but still a solid find:

Screenshot078.png

Screenshot079.png

@Wolron
Make sure you remove the quotes tags from a post, otherwise no one can reply directly to you.

Code:
Softcore Table
Vang              Lost                 Asn        70      Rogue Camp H             69

Code:
Hardcore Table
Wolron            SP_WolronShock       Pal        21      Lut Gholein Rogue Camp                21

What are the "quotes tags" ? (By the way, SP_WolronShock died at Duriel.)

@Wolron
Make sure you remove the quotes tags from a post, otherwise no one can reply directly to you.

Code:
Softcore Table
Vang              Lost                 Asn        70      Rogue Camp H             69

Code:
Hardcore Table
Wolron            SP_WolronShock       Pal        21      Lut Gholein Rogue Camp               Dead via Duriel

@Wolron you are replying in this space. No one can reply to what you type in this box.

Code:
Softcore Table

Code:
Hardcore Table
If you click below the box you type and other members can reply to you.

Duriel is rough always and causes many of deaths.

Sorry about your character's death, @Wolron. That Duriel is one nasty bug, for sure. Much respect for going the HC route... something I've never done (and shouldn't do :D).

@Vang-- congrats on the Vex. And again, have been feeling the same way about my subpar TS/DT assassin. I'm sure she would've been much better twinked, but the gear I had for her just wasn't cutting it.

So... I made a change also, which will also give me a point loss I believe, but will allow me to finish Hell, and maybe with some sanity. Mazikeen is now a Phoenix Striker. I remember playing one years ago, but didn't remember much about it other than having different elemental attacks. I thought the build was mostly melee, but didn't take long to realize the melee was just for charge ups and then the spell would drop after a finisher. Very helpful for both crowd control and stationary bosses.

NM Duriel is dead finally. No deaths for my assassin, but she TP'd back to town about 27 times during the fight to both res the Merc and buy potions. Well, and a couple of times just because she was about to die lol. Finally gave up on the Merc and used the level 1 shadow master for a decoy (which worked pretty well but had to keep casting her for a big mana hit). All applicable gear was self-repair. Actually put the shield away and went dual claws this time. Duriel dropped a few items I could sell, but nothing useful.

Code:
Softcore Table
Triple Helix      Mazikeen             Asn        48      Kurast Docks NM          48
Flan              ColdAsIce            Pal        42      Lut Gholein  NM          42

Hardcore Table
Wolron            SP_WolronShock       Pal        21      Lut Gholein/Deeds         21

Last edited:
Act 3 completed and Mephisto is dead! No deaths for Mazikeen (getting quite good at running away these days :D), though the Merc and shadow died few times. All appropriate gear was used for maximum points, with a bonus for 7 points, even with losing a point for skills.:)

Loving the Phoenix Strike build as it has very good AOE and makes clears faster. Once Fists of Fire is maxed I believe uniques and bosses not FI will go down quicker. This was a game changer, even though it sacrifices a point I think. Overall, though, worth it. Now to get some more AR!

I had a rare crown drop in the Flayer Dungeon that I almost didn't pick up because I wasn't paying attention. After I realized it would be worth identifying, it turned out to be one of the holy grail items I've looked for from them beginning of the tournament (picture at bottom)!

Code:
Softcore Table
Triple Helix      Mazikeen             Asn        52      Pand. Fort. NM           55
Flan              ColdAsIce            Pal        42      Lut Gholein  NM          42

Hardcore Table
Wolron            SP_WolronShock       Pal        21      Lut Gholein/Deeds         21

Resized_97280797-e58f-4388-90f2-327821b5679a.jpeg

Last edited:
Reactions: Zyr
Story

You remember Tristram and the screams of the villagers from afar while they were being dragged into that church and into the depths.

Then rumors swore of the Rogue Camp and a rogue that led the charge in Tristram has now been corrupted they said by evil. She is now guarding the Cemetery. You fought them off and destroyed the Evil Blood Raven. Then you went and was told by the only one you trust, Akara, that Deckard Cain was able to be rescued. Upon returning to Tristram you saw him. GRISWOLD. Why was he not eaten like all the others? He wanted to serve the dark lords!

You entered the Barracks and Charsi lost her hammer, likely story! She wanted to arm the minions!

When you entered Lut Gholein you could hear screams below the Palace and when you tried to enter, they told you that you could not pass! What is Jerhyn conniving below?

In Kurast, why was it over ran and why did all the denizens turn evil? Hratli and his trickery I bet.

The Pandemonium Fortress, why has it not been attacked! Halbu has been supplying the Demons with weapons for ages and you can hear it in the whispers as you search the souls of the dead who once tried to stop the demons, and Tyrael’s friend Izual! Why that Angelic Demon traitor.

Finally, Harrogath. Nihlathak was said to be the traitor, but I bet the town voted for it. Anya just was the unlucky one who was to be sacrificed, wonder why she never went next to her alleged friend and potion maker? Malah!

Welcome my fellow forum members to the tournament of The Apprehensive Adventurers!

This is an entry level tournament that is mainly a SC based tournament, though separate standings for HC will exist.

Rules specific:

1. You may not repair your goods (Even via cube recipes).
2. You may not shop for any items after you complete Charsi’s quest in normal. (You must complete it at time of return, and may not continue until you do so)
3. Potions and scrolls are able to be shopped for the entire game.
4. Gambling is allowed though only items that meet the requirements maybe equipped, rings/amulets are exempt due to no durability.
5. Bows/Xbows may not be used by player (Rogue Mercenary may equip a bow)

Item specific rules:

1. Any ethereal item maybe used.
2. Any non-ethereal item with the repair mod, indestructible, replenish, higher than normal durability maybe used.
3. Any item other than rings or amulet that do not meet requirements of 1 and/or 2 may not be used unless it is a white or non-socketed item.
4. Rings, Amulets, and Charms have no restrictions to use or equip.
5. Quest rewards (Charsi/Anya) maybe used if they meet requirements.
6. You do not trust mercenaries. They may not equip an item with a higher rarity level than you in each slot (White/Blue/Yellow/Green or Orange/Unique or Runeword)

Scoring is done at the end of each act according with what was equipped defeating the Act boss:

Rings, Amulets, and Charms provide no point value and have no restrictions.
Your weapon switch provides no point value.

Each item slot can provide one of these point values:
  • 1 point an item with one or more of the following: repair mod, indestructible, replenish, or higher than normal durability item.
  • 1 point for an ethereal item
  • 2 points for an ethereal item with one or more of the following: repair mod, indestructible, replenish, or higher than normal durability.
  • Two-handed weapon only: Double the point value of your weapon.
Negative points are applied as follows
  • -1 point for using attacks that don’t use durability as main way of killing (Spells, Traps, Blade Fury)
  • -1 for summoners (defined as having an army of skeletons/revives)

FAQ:

I went to sell and clicked repair all because I'm so used to it!!!, what do I do?:
Hopefully everything has a repair all mod, so nothing as it'd repair in time and you just wasted your gold. But if you had an item with extra durability, you may no longer use this item either stash it (for another character) or sell it.

A good way to avoid this is to avoid any repair people.

What about Paladin auras: If you are attacking, no negative value.
What about hiding behind a mercenary/golem/bear/wolves/valk: No issue unless your not attacking, though you can sit back for a fight or two!
Crowd Control skills: Stuns, curses, etc: All good if your still attacking away.

General Rules:

1. D2R is recommended for this tournament, though 1.13/1.14 is allowed for non-D2R owners (May play on PC or console versions)
2. Softcore or Hardcore
3. Any player setting is allowed and may adjust as you see fit (big chest!!!!)
4. Rerunning is allowed, you may also play as single-pass (Please use SP in front of name if we get a character bracket going)
5. You are allowed to go back to a previous difficulty for any reason.
6. Any merc allowed. Mind their restrictions on equipment though to not exceeding your equipment rarity (Shield is same as weapon if you have no shield in the case of an Act3 mercenary)
7. Replays as a different class are allowed.
8*. Atma/GoMule is allowed as an extended stash only ----D2R all you stash maybe used, including extra tabs.
9*. FAM is allowed
*Not sure if they can be used in D2R
Question: Any item other than rings or amulet that do not meet requirements of 1 and/or 2 may not be used unless it is a white or non-socketed item.Does this rule mean that a unique unsocketed item can be used? I realize that it would not get points, but I think I would prefer the unique item over a few points.

PurePremium
Estimated market value
Low
High