Tournament: The Apprehensive Adventurers! (An entry level SC tournament with a HC option!)

No progress yesterday, hopefully will finish Act 2 today.

Backed myself into a corner when I hired an Act 2 merc. My assassin is using a white weapon now, and I haven't been able to find a white polearm for the merc yet so he's unarmed!

Also, no assassin expert here, so just winging it. But that makes it more challenging and fun!

Beat Duriel for 7 points with most of the same low-level gear used for Andy: helmet, shield, belt, gloves, and armor were all self-repairs. Newer equipment was self-repair rare boots from Andy and an ethereal rare wrist sword.

That was one nasty fight. Merc kept dying, and eventually ran out of gold from reviving him. Stopped to go farm for things to sell in the Lost City and AT, and by the time we made it back, Duriel was fully healed. Have never used thawing potions for Duriel fight before because I'm stubborn, but this time loaded up on them!

Hoping to find some ethereal gear with self-repair mods in Act 3, or at least be able to replace some under-leveled gear with better. :devilish:

Code:
Softcore Table
Forum Name        Character Name       Class   Level      Location               Score
-----------       ---------------      -----   -----      ------------           -----
Vang              Lost                 Asn        26      Spider Forest            13
Cattleya          Torben               Pal        17      Lut Gholein               7
Triple Helix      Mazikeen             Asn        20      Kurast Docks             14
Flan              ColdAsIce            Pal        12      Lut Gholein?              7?
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Reactions: Kartongen
Act 3 and Mephisto down for another 7 points. Exact same gear that beat Duriel except for a superior cestus with 14% maximum durability.

Finding gear upgrades has been very scarce, so thinking I need to spend some money on gambling with Jamella probably. While it seems one doesn't need the best gear to kill with Tiger Strike/Dragon Tail, resists are not great currently, which is going to cause trouble soon.

The council in Travincal went down easy, though I was expecting trouble. Mephisto himself went down without Merc or Mazikeen dying, which was not what I expected at all. However, after killing Mephy we went clockwise around the room to finish off the other council members and ghoul lord thingies and Bremm Sparkfist's electrical discharge didn't do us any favors. :p

Code:
Softcore Table
Forum Name        Character Name       Class   Level      Location               Score
-----------       ---------------      -----   -----      ------------           -----
Vang              Lost                 Asn        26      Spider Forest            13
Cattleya          Torben               Pal        17      Lut Gholein               7
Triple Helix      Mazikeen             Asn        23      Pandemonium Fort         21
Flan              ColdAsIce            Pal        12      Lut Gholein?              7?
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Act 3 and Mephisto down for another 7 points. Exact same gear that beat Duriel except for a superior cestus with 14% maximum durability.

Finding gear upgrades has been very scarce, so thinking I need to spend some money on gambling with Jamella probably. While it seems one doesn't need the best gear to kill with Tiger Strike/Dragon Tail, resists are not great currently, which is going to cause trouble soon.

The council in Travincal went down easy, though I was expecting trouble. Mephisto himself went down without Merc or Mazikeen dying, which was not what I expected at all. However, after killing Mephy we went clockwise around the room to finish off the other council members and ghoul lord thingies and Bremm Sparkfist's electrical discharge didn't do us any favors. :p

Code:
Softcore Table
Triple Helix      Mazikeen             Asn        23      Pandemonium Fort         21
Yeah I'm in the same boat as you. In Kurast and am thinking the best way might be to gamble bucklers till I get a chromatic of repair and socket hoping for 2!

Reactions: Triple Helix
Will kill Duriel tonight, ran out of time last night. Spent around 200k gambling on War Axes before hitting on a "fantastic" rare - 1-2 ED, +10 AR and self repair. Taking longer than usual since I pick up virtually all magic items to at least sell and collect gold to gamble with. Will update the table (hopefully correctly this time) when I finish off Duriel.

Mephisto is down and I await my entrance into the Chaos Sanctuary.

Was able to gamble 30%ed repair durability Talons, so at least weapon is good to go for a while. Gambled a tower shield with repair durability, but my small rare with repair has resist, so I opted for the increased defense for now.

I also found an ethereal Chain Mail with two open sockets and made myself a Stealth until I pass it to my mercenary unless a better option arises.

Mephisto dropped me 1 item of use: A triple durability rare mask with 1 Open Socket and 16% lightning resist spawned with 45/60 durability though.

Screenshot063.png

Only other cool thing was I had to get to the HF because of the following screens; which dropped me unfortunately 2 Flawless Skulls, luckily was I ready either way (and a perfect ruby)

Screenshot064.png

Screenshot065.png

Code:
Softcore Table
Vang              Lost                 Asn        30      River of Flame           20

Code:
Softcore Table
Vang              Lost                 Asn        30      River of Flame           20
Nazdakka          TyphoidMary          Ama        1       Rogue Camp                0

I'm going to try a Poison Javazon!

Duriel is dead and he was kind enough to drop 5 scrolls of town portal. Seriously. WTF kind of drop is that. Ran him a few more times and got nothing worth noting but Angelic Sickle, which can't be used.

Code:
Softcore Table
Flan              ColdAsIce            Pal        25      Kurast Docks             14
Nazdakka          TyphoidMary          Ama        1       Rogue Camp                0

Duriel is dead and he was kind enough to drop 5 scrolls of town portal. Seriously. WTF kind of drop is that. Ran him a few more times and got nothing worth noting but Angelic Sickle, which can't be used.

Could have been worse, could have been 6.

Duriel has been killed. I managed to get through Act 2 without any deaths but many close calls and a whole lot of healing and rejuv potions. (I actually had to ration them at the end so I'd have some for Duriel.) I picked up an ethereal short spear in the Arcane Sanctuary and swapped to them for a bit better damage, which was the main change. After killing Duriel, my Charsi boots were down to 1 durability. (And instantly broke when I poked my head out into the Jungle.)

Duriel had a nice gift for Torben:
q1fz3IU.png

I did some gambling after traveling to Act 3. I got some rare self-repair gloves and boots without any super exciting mods. (And I'm out of gold again.)

Code:
Softcore Table
Cattleya          Torben               Pal        20      Kurast Docks             14
Flan              ColdAsIce            Pal        25      Kurast Docks             14

Diablo went down after quite a while of running in circles hitting 3 times and kicking.

Dropped me a double durability shield with some defense (51) and that was all other than unique flail, which can't be used.

But Thresh Socket came through big time!

Screenshot067.png

Non-ethereal, but still mighty good with the repair mod and life leech!

Code:
Softcore Table
Vang              Lost                 Asn        32      Cry. Passage             27
Cattleya          Torben               Pal        20      Kurast Docks             14

Diablo down for another 7 points, with the exact tactic of hit and run! Finally gave up on reviving the Merc since he was draining the bank. Also had to make many runs back into town to buy potions, and ended up having to sell my last few good gems for gold. Not a pretty fight at all. Definitely didn't feel like a hero of Sanctuary.

Hate to admit this, but I used the exact gear that was used on Mephisto except for rare blade talons with self-repair that I gambled from Jamella. We're talking bad. Like leather armor, buckler, and boots are level 4 and were used to kill Andy with (except boots, Andy dropped those). Belt and cap are level 3. At least gloves are level 13. Just noticed that the blade talons I gambled are also level 4. Drops aren't working out, so I need to get more serious about gambling.

Also, being locked into /players 1 on console is not great, though easier to survive. Levels are lagging behind to the point I need to just farm for gear and XP before continuing much further, I think.

Hmm, just ID'd a rare war sword Diablo dropped with repair mod that might help.

Code:
Softcore Table
Triple Helix      Mazikeen             Asn        25      Harrogath                28
Vang              Lost                 Asn        32      Cry. Passage             27

Could have been worse, could have been 6.
About the only good thing. Got a rare mask from him on one of the other runs, but normal durability.

I made the UK waypoint, so should be able to take down Meph tonight. Not sure what players settings everyone is using, but I've been doing 5 for the most part. I took on Duriel at 1 and will probably do so with Meph as well.

About the only good thing. Got a rare mask from him on one of the other runs, but normal durability.

I made the UK waypoint, so should be able to take down Meph tonight. Not sure what players settings everyone is using, but I've been doing 5 for the most part. I took on Duriel at 1 and will probably do so with Meph as well.
Varies since rerunning is happening, usually whatever your comfortable with and enjoy. I know I did most of act 4 and up to Pindleskin at /p1, ran Pindle at /p5 and finished act at /p5 with subsequent couple of runs at /p1.

In order to vanquish Baal I decided to combine 3 Tals into a 4 Ral, 3 Rals into my third Ort, and my 3 Orts into a Thul to make this with the Perf Amethyst:

(Yes I know I am in NM, but forgot this was a good upgrade!)
Screenshot071.png

Vanquished Baal, no drops of note, but did get a rare katar with double durability and some mana leech.

Screenshot068.png
Screenshot069.png

Did go for the buckler route of gambling and scored this thing to help with my terrible resist. Think I'm going to wait before I socket it.

Screenshot070.png

Code:
Softcore Table
Vang              Lost                 Asn        32      Dark Woods NM            34
Triple Helix      Mazikeen             Asn        25      Harrogath                28

Ooh, very nice buckler and boots, Vang!

The self-repair rare war sword Diablo that dropped for me last night turned out to be a game changer for now. Would rather have an assassin weapon, but right now this fills the bill. Took out Shenk and company without a sweat, and normal attacks were all that were needed on most critters. Anyway, had to try it out before bedtime, and looking forward to getting home from work today.

Just few minutes ago I was going to try my best to post a picture of it on the forum today while at work, but in my sleep stupor before work this morning I took a screenshot of the old level 4 blade talons it replaced instead of the war sword. o_O

Finished off Meph and Diablo, with quite a few potions quaffed fighting the red guy. Neither dropped anything useful, though I have rare gloves, armor, helm and war axe with the repair mod and resistances are all decent.

Code:
Softcore Table
Vang              Lost                 Asn        32      Dark Woods NM            34
Flan              ColdAsIce            Pal        30      Harrogath                28

TyphoidMary stands, looking in awe at the exploits of her compatriots, and she seeks her first prize: the holy Javelins of Self Replenishment. Until she finds this relic, she must make do with the rather less holy Spear of Self-Repair.

I'm not going to be moving at the pace of the rest of you, but we're at the Stony Field now without incident :)

Code:
       Softcore Table
Flan              ColdAsIce            Pal        30      Harrogath                28
Nazdakka          TyphoidMary          Ama        10      Stony Field                0

Baal was dethroned at last. That was a long, drawn out fight in which Mazikeen never died but the Merc died very often. Wish we could change Merc names... his would be "Kenny". Many trips back into town for potions and reviving the Merc.

Did some XP farming in Act 5, so shouldn't be badly underleveled in NM.

Found some pretty good gear in Act 5. Rare boots and gloves, both with self-repair mod. Used a superior large shield with extra durability until Baal was nearly dead, but then it was getting close to breaking so had to switch back to the level 4 buckler with self-repair mod that had been with me since Act 1. Still no ethereal gear with self-repair mod. In fact, haven't seen hardly any ethereals.

A good pokey stick for the Merc is next on the to-do list. Insight would be awesome when 4 sockets are available (pretty sure I have the runes), but would settle for good damage and life steal on a poleaxe. Also would have to equip a unique weapon on Mazikeen with +durability, ethereal, or self-repair, and I don't see that happening any time soon!

Might try to post some screenshots here, most likely tomorrow. Haven't tried that yet, and something tells me it won't be easy. :p

Code:
Softcore Table
Triple Helix      Mazikeen             Asn        32      Rogue Encamp             35
Nazdakka          TyphoidMary          Ama        10      Stony Field               0

Edit: Added picture.

Resized_a9da1d43-8fa9-4f23-bafa-1ef2bd2f23b6.jpeg

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: Vang and Kartongen
@Triple Helix If your level is correct, I'd say your quite underleveled for NM, normally wouldn't go to NM until mid 40s.

Andariel was quite easy, since I smacked her at /p1. Nothing of note dropped worthwhile, will run her a few times (Cool eth military pick I might use for a bit just because).

1636031013412.png

Will not be on as, as my wife and I are going on a mini-vacation for a few days and leaving in a few hours so Andy till then I think.

Code:
Softcore Table
Vang              Lost                 Asn        47      Lut Gholein  NM          41
Triple Helix      Mazikeen             Asn        32      Rogue Encamp NM          35
Nazdakka          TyphoidMary          Ama        10      Stony Field               0

Last edited:
Thanks @Vang. I'm at level 33 now after Den of Evil, so I need to do some more XP farming. Still don't know why they didn't add /players x to consoles because it causes some significant issues not having it.

You and your wife have a good time!

PurePremium
Estimated market value
Low
High