The Untwinked Level 99 Progress Thread, Revenge of the 99ers

Welcome to the new entrants! :)

Eleanor leveled to 74 doing NM Baal runs, and then got impatient and decided to venture into Hell. We dialed it down to /p1 since we're basically only interested in reaching running targets right now. The tele-fest was quick and efficient, basically heading straight for Act Bosses, only stopping for necessary or skill/stat pumping quests. Before we knew it we had made our way all the way to Meph. We considered running him a bit, but decided instead to move on. The Hellforge dropped us a Lem which we're happy with as we plan on making a Delerium helm for the merc at some point.

After a not-so-quick rout of the CS (damn CI OKs!) and Diablo, Eleanor finished the questing portion of her journey (for now) by saving Anya and opening the portal to Pindle's Garden. Now begins the arduous task of properly gearing our crew so that the power-levelling can begin.

Our plan:
- Spend some time at Pindle now to level and maybe get some gear
- Then head over to the AT, which will be her new home for a long while
- Not sure what I'm going to do about LK yet, probably just some intermittent running

EDIT: Added a deeds table, adjust your chars etc if I missed anything :) Also, if we want to add where/how they died, people can add that in somewhere in place of other info.

EDIT2: Updated Tarasha's and Colossus' level (I'd keep him in there, you never know if you'll want to pick him up again!), popped Digimon in there.

[highlight]The Runners:[/highlight]
Code:
Name (F)    Name (C)       SC/HC   Class   Level/exp   Extended Stash   #of S/U   Grail/504   #of deaths   # of Hours
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
NanoMist    Izuna           SC      Sin       75             No           27         23            0           12
Darke Rahl  Bells           HC      Ama       74             No           19          -            0           0
Pb_pal      Eleanor         SC      Sorc      74             No           91         72            0           -
Tarantella  Tarasha         HC      Sorc      71             Yes           -          -            -           -
T72on1      Neverland       SC      Sorc      46             Yes           4          4            0           6
Gambit      Colossus        SC      Pal       39             YES           0          0            0           0
coju        NintyNine_orRiP HC      Sorc      24             Yes          all         0            0          Some
logo        Digimon         HC      Nec       24             Yes           0          0            0           -
Ergroilnin  Erilinda        HC      Sorc       6             No            -          -            -           -
Tenecabo    OldShatterhand  HC      Druid      1             Yes           -          0            0           -

[highlight]The Fallen:[/highlight]
Code:
Name (F)    Name (C)       SC/HC   Class   Level/exp   Extended Stash   #of S/U   Grail/504   #of deaths   # of Hours
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Kitteh      Verallus        HC      Druid     ??             No           N/A        N/A           0          N/A
logo        Rolex           HC      Barb      21             Yes           0          0            0           1

Last edited:
My Cheesydin has made good progress so far, getting into Hell difficulty. He has a very few points remaining to finish his blessed hammer synergies and then the points will probably go to holy shield because his blocking stinks and I think that'll be an important part of tanking when the monsters can dish out a lot of damage. For most of the questing journey thus far, he's been at /P8 so we went into Hell at level 75. /P1 for safety for now, questing through hell. I'll bump it up when I get to LK for farming purposes I think. He's still using Stealth as his armor, which is weak but nice for the FRW and hit recovery. He was lucky in his early journey and found a Spectral Shard, a 4 socket paladin shield (which now has 4 perfect diamonds in it), a nightsmoke (which helps with maintaining mana actually) and a set of Frostburn gauntlets. Toward the end of NM, he finally got a 4 socket poleaxe which became an Insight for the prayer merc. Interestingly, so far he's gotten a grand total of 3 Tal runes (all of which have been used on runewords and trying for sockets) and so they are in short supply, as are perfect diamonds and perfect amethysts. No green breastplates so far in his journey, but NM Baal did give him a Skull Collector, which if I've ever seen one before, has been a long time since.

Code:
NanoMist    Izuna           SC      Sin       75             No           27         23            0           12
OldSoldier  Battleforge     HC      Pala      75             Yes           -          -            -           -
Darke Rahl  Bells           HC      Ama       74             No           19          -            0           0
Pb_pal      Eleanor         SC      Sorc      74             No           91         72            0           -
Tarantella  Tarasha         HC      Sorc      71             Yes           -          -            -           -
T72on1      Neverland       SC      Sorc      46             Yes           4          4            0           6
Gambit      Colossus        SC      Pal       39             YES           0          0            0           0
coju        NintyNine_orRiP HC      Sorc      24             Yes          all         0            0          Some
logo        Digimon         HC      Nec       24             Yes           0          0            0           -
Ergroilnin  Erilinda        HC      Sorc       6             No            -          -            -           -
Tenecabo    OldShatterhand  HC      Druid      1             Yes           -          0            0           -

Last edited:
@OldSoldier - Awesome progress! Any reason you haven't made spirit in the shield, or is it due to needing the extra resists?

Also, I realize I probably ninja'ed you with my table editing after the fact in my post, so here's a new table with Battleforge in there.

Code:
OldSoldier  Battleforge     HC      Pala      75             Yes           -          -            -           -

Code:
Kitteh      Verallus        HC      Druid     ??             No           N/A        N/A           0          N/A
logo        Rolex           HC      Barb      21             Yes           0          0            0           1

@Pb_pal you got it, my resists are not great in hell. The shield is 87 res all I think, and I have some good charms for fire, and my boots are cold and lightning, but I have nothing in my helm (which is a 2 socket blue with topazes and FHR) or armor (stealth) or rings & amulet (MF and mana). I figure I have plenty of time to get better gear along the way since this isn't a single pass tourney. Plus, the hammers at level 20 and mostly synergized are doing in the neighborhood of 3000 damage which is fine for now. I think I'll feel comfortable with going to a spirit shield once I can find a pally shield with higher innate resistances built in. While questing, I'm safety oriented.

Thanks for putting me in the table, I appreciate it.

Code:

Code:
Kitteh      Verallus        HC      Druid     26             No          N/A        N/A           0          N/A

Spent a few safe sessions above ground mapping out and repeat clearing the Blood Moor, Cold Plains, Stony Field and the Burial Grounds having not played a Sorceress in Hell for a few years now and reliant on poorly equipped Mizan to finish off cold/fire immune bosses. Gambling steadily whilst leveling to 73. Dropped a Gul!

View attachment 3003

Which is nice.

Code:
Tarantella  Tarasha         HC      Sorc      73             Yes           -          -            -           -

Code:
Kitteh      Verallus        HC      Druid     26             No          N/A        N/A           0          N/A

Wouldn't a simple number "1" in #of deaths column be more poignant than a separate table for HC deaths? :)

@Tarantella Congrats on the Gul !!! Definitely a good start.

I played my Sorc some more. Ended the session by killing NM Diablo. Progress is going slow because I still haven't found an Insight base. I also respecced from Fire to Cold. Can't get used to the slower killing speed of anything else than Blizzard ...

O yes, I was convinced that I would get this girl to the 90s without a single death. A few Countess runs proved me wrong, when I got cornered by an extra strong something boss pack. Blind teleporting with low fcr is a bad idea :(. Couldn't resist though, as I got a ridiculously good Countess map.

Will try to speed through Act 5 up until Anya as fast as possible, so I can speed level Neverland up to the 70s.

Code:
Tarantella  Tarasha         HC      Sorc      73             Yes           -          -            -           -
T72on1      Neverland       SC      Sorc      57             Yes          11         11            1           9.33

Code:

Nice Gul! Great progress everyone!

Small update: Found a 4os Bill to make an insight and equipped it on a prayer merc for the nice life replenish. Best find so far was a Mal rune, not even in Pits, but from a carver camp in Tamoe Highlands :rolleyes:

Code:
NanoMist    Izuna           SC      Sin       81             No           39         33            0           15
T72on1      Neverland       SC      Sorc      57             Yes          11         11            1           9.33

Code:

woohoo, someone has broken the 80 barrier! Please push on, and you others! Getting to the mid 80s won't be hard, and the late 80s wont be too slow either. There should be a mini prize for the first one to have a "9" in the first digit.

Since Eleanor's MF career is now officially beginning, she used her first respec and is now a pure Blizzard sorceress. With her new found power she decided to spend some quality time with her friend Pindleskin. We found our first TC87 almost right away, hopefully that's a sign of things to come!

We're starting to get a bit low on space in the stash now, since we've been hanging on to a few bases for future RWs. We can always get rid of them if need be, but I'd rather be able to use the runes straight away if I find them. I'm tempted to hit LK soon to free up the space, but I'd really rather wait until 93 for my serious grinding there for all the crafting opportunities. This whole no extended stash thing sure makes decisions more difficult, that's for sure.

Anyways, Eleanor hung out with Pindle until 84, netting a bunch of grailers in the process. Equipment upgrades are as follows:

- Tarnhelm (MF is always welcome)
- Spirit Monarch (we cubed 4 sockets on our FIRST try! It only got 29 FCR, but that is easily improved.)
- Frostburns (bye bye mana woes.)

We have also breached Grail -400, so that's nice. :)

Code:
Pb_pal      Eleanor         SC      Sorc      84             No          151        116            0           -
NanoMist    Izuna           SC      Sin       81             No           39         33            0           15

Code:

Very good progress people !!!

@Pb_pal that's already an amazing amount of s/u you have found, grats. I assume you are playing on /p7 or P8 for the increased xp?

Very good progress people !!!

@Pb_pal that's already an amazing amount of s/u you have found, grats. I assume you are playing on /p7 or P8 for the increased xp?

/p8 for all of Normal and NM (Act bosses on /p3), /p1 in Hell. I have maintained a decent amount of MF for the duration, and have spent some time doing dedicated MF runs at Meph/Andy etc. I'm impressed that I don't have more duplicates, I didn't expect to find so many grailers by now. We'll see how that continues as we go!

EDIT: /p5 Pindle so far for the runs, it's the best balance for me between XP, speed and survivability right now.

Thanks.

That's the way I've always done it with previous untwinked mf characters as well (although not necessarily on /p8, as I often find it faster and better in the long run to go on a lower player setting), with especially a lot of time spent on Hell Meph. Not sure if I'll just dive straight into Hell AT this time, or will take the time to meet up with Meph again for some dedicated runs.

Eventually went underground doing the Den of Evil then the Crypt followed by the Mausoleum for full clears patiently waiting for something to drop whilst carrying 0 mf. Finally dropped a plain thresher but thought better of trying to get 4 sockets. Questing through again dropped an Elementalist skiller in the Dark Wood working through to Black Marsh waypoint and saw the first Monarch drop coming back to quest in Tristram at level 75.

View attachment 3006

Code:
Pb_pal      Eleanor         SC      Sorc      84             No          151        116            0           -
Tarantella  Tarasha         HC      Sorc      75             Yes           -          -            -          -

Code:

Last edited:
I was able to grind Andariel for a couple of hours this evening. She didn't drop anything I wanted but I was able to snag a Tal Rasha's death mask from another monster that was nearby, which is an upgrade for the merc. I'm not able to run Andariel very well (level 79 at the moment) because my blocking is bad and if I respec to plus up the blocking, my life will go into the toilet, and I've already gone into the 100s in my life pool a couple of times even running at a lowly P3. Battleforge has just over 1000 HP, so not much really to withstand heavy attacks. He goes through a couple of rejuvenation potions each time he runs Andariel. Perhaps a change is in order; I do have a Jade Tan Do, which would remove most of the poison threat from Andariel. The map to her lair is straight up great, even without the Enigma that I'm so far from sniffing it isn't even funny. I do need some good things from her or Mephisto or Diablo along the way, including a Ravenfrost, a Shako and Aldur's Advance. Maybe I'll switch out the weapon to the dagger from the spectral shard and change the shield to a Spirit for extra firepower. I also have a General's flail, maybe the 50% slow would nerf Andy enough to make up for the lost FCR on the weapon?

I was able to snag this, my first in the journey:
View attachment 3007

I won't update the table, but when the next person does, please change my level to 79 and my grail count to 73. Happy hunting!

@OldSoldier If you're not using an MF switch, maybe just use the General's flail on switch? Smite Andariel once with it, and switch back to your primary W/S. She should be killed before the slow wears off, but if not, smite her once more.

Great progress guys!

@OldSoldier - Maybe a row of antidotes in the belt would make her a bit less painful? Or even a quick buff with some before each run to bump up your resistance.

@JacobMiller - I'm using Prayer right now for the added synergy with Insight, but I'll be switching to HF for my end-game. Not sure when, but probably the next time I head into NM to switch up maps.

My sorc used Prayer, but when I reached NM Act 2 I switched over to Might.

@OldSoldier If you're not using an MF switch, maybe just use the General's flail on switch? Smite Andariel once with it, and switch back to your primary W/S. She should be killed before the slow wears off, but if not, smite her once more.

Well that works great, thanks for the tip! The Jade Tan Do was iffy. Pair the General's flail with a Rhyme Shield and we're in business! It cuts down on my rejuvenation usage a lot. I did have a Skull Collector on switch for the final kill but I wasn't great at using it so I'll do the safe thing with the flail instead. I have 118% MF, which is OK in my book anyway.

PurePremium
Estimated market value
Low
High