The Untwinked Level 99 Progress Thread, Revenge of the 99ers

Got the Blizzard Sorc to level 73 and completed NM. I had no luck getting any drops yesterday even though I gained 14 levels thanks to getting the afternoon off. I'm not sure my merc is up to killing CI monsters by himself yet, and i need more FCR so I may have to run some more NM before moving to hell.

Part of me wants to play the paladin, I like the idea of hammers to clear areas and a little crushing blow to tear down P7/P8 bosses. I just need to decide if I want to run a lot of LK to get the Enigma runes.

Okay I took a break and leveled a Hammerdin to 25, but for now i'm sticking with my Blizzard Sorc for this 99 challenge. She is still level 73 I was running NM Meph on and off the last few days and the best find so far is a Tals Helm for my merc, which is a big upgrade. I think I need a better weapon for my merc to kill CIs in Hell(ones that I can't skip) and a bit more FCR. NM Meph doesn't give any XP so I think I will move to running NM Pindle and Baal to level 75-76, if I don't get any upgrades I'll just grind to Hell Meph, which would give me access to AT and LK as well as Hell Meph runs.

Code:
Name (F)     Name (C)       SC/HC   Class   Level/exp   Extended Stash   #of S/U   Grail/504   #of deaths   # of Hours
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
zticazzy     Perkele         SC      Barb      99             No            -          -            -           -
Pb_pal       Eleanor         SC      Sorc      98.50          No         3064        437            5           -
NanoMist     Izuna           SC      Sin       98.4           No         3724        457            3         287
T72on1       Neverland       SC      Sorc      97             Yes        1594        394           11         148.5
PhineasB     Mercy           SC      Sin       96             Yes           -        361            9           -
hasuprotoss  Reina           SC      Sorc      95             Yes         894        316            -           -
XyleneCyanol Fishie          HC      Sorc      95             No            -          -            -           -
Tarantella   Tarasha         HC      Sorc      94             Yes           -          -            -           -
Reyz         Qty             SC      Sorc      92             No            -          -            -           -
PhineasB     Hiatus          SC      Sorc      93             Yes           -        326           15           -
OldSoldier   Battleforge     HC      Pala      91             Yes           -        236            -           -
Southpaw     Njord           SC      Druid     90             Yes           -          -            -           -
Qwernt       CanbeOnlyBlizz  SC      Sorc      90             Yes           -          -        Dont want to know
LiquidClear  Sally           SC      Assn      **             Yes         225          -            1           -
Gladstone    Socrates        HC      Druid     86             ?             -          -            -           -
Lord Molyb   Cruise_Control  SC      Necro     84             No          104         87           16          idk
Gambit       Mallenroh       SC      Sorc      81             Yes           0          0            0           0
Neksja       Turirao         SC      Druid     79             Yes         106         81            5           -
Zenigma      Ayura           SC      Barb      78             No            -          -            -           -
Zenigma      Gnosis          SC      Druid     78             No            -          -            -           -
logo         Digimon         HC      Nec       76             Yes          85         65            0           -
Darke Rahl   Bells           HC      Ama       74             No           19          -            0           0
liquid_mage  zDadColdSorc    SC      Sorc      73             Yes           -         54           11           -
MercMan      Este            SC      Ama       68             Yes          178       122            2      Classified
Vildecor     Celia           SC      Ama       59             Yes          52         43            0           -
ioupainmax   Durnik          SC      Paladin   52             Yes          50         42            -           -
Lord Molyb   Verisimilitude  SC      Ama       50             No           12          9            0         idk
TwentyMule   Valus           HC      Barb      47             Yes          11          8            -           -
Kitteh       Darozzo         HC      Druid     45             No            -          -            -           -
TrU          Henryk          SC      Barb      41             Yes           -          -           22          12
Gambit       Colossus        SC      Pal       39             Yes           0          0            0           0
Smancer      Smancer         SC      Necro     26             Yes           1          -            -           -
Ergroilnin   Erilinda        HC      Sorc      20             No            -          -            -           -

The Fallen:
Code:
Name (F)    Name (C)       SC/HC   Class   Level/exp   Extended Stash   #of S/U   Grail/504   #of deaths   # of Hours
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
coju        NintyNine_orRiP HC      Sorc      81             Yes           -          0            0         a few
Tenecabo    OldShatterhand  HC      Druid     49             Yes           -          0            1           -
coju        fB              HC      Sorc      29             Yes           1          1            0           2
Kitteh      Verallus        HC      Druid     26             No          N/A        N/A            0          N/A
logo        Rolex           HC      Barb      21             Yes           0          0            0           1

Yep, so I defintiely haven't had much time to post, nor have I had much time to play for that matter, but I found some time tonight. Ayura has been running lots of LK

I'm just gonna go ahead a put down some of the interesting finds. Some related, some not. But overall, LK has proven quite fruitful! I have a semi-stable weapons rack in the superchest hut. It provides ~40% cleavers, ~15% flying axes, and ~10% franciscas. Keep in mind, those are very rough estimates, based only on my middling interest in its drop rates. All I know is that I see a significant amount of flying axes, so I'm hoping for some gimmers to drop. Or hopeful some eth scalpers somewhere down the line, assuming I don't accidentally reroll my hell map before that happens, hahaha. That said, one might understand the frustration of getting a unique I don't want off of that rack:
View attachment 3991

Firelizard's Talons
Feral Claws
One Hand Damage: 79 - 190
Durability: 27 of 52
Required Level: 67
Required Strength: 113
Required Dexterity: 113
Fingerprint: 0xa19c49d5
Item Level: 79
Version: Expansion 1.10+
+1 to Martial Art Skills (Assassin Only)
+15% Increased Attack Speed
260% Enhanced Damage
Adds 236 - 480 Fire Damage
+2 to Wake of Inferno (Assassin Only)
+1 to Wake of Fire (Assassin Only)
Fire Resist +69%
Yeah... not great

Class-related finds:
Fear not--that rack actuallly provided Ayura with his first unique throwing item! I don't think it's going to see use, but I can't say it definitely won't, considering how relatively easy it is to upgrade uniques over rares.
View attachment 3992
The Scalper - meh. I guess I'm spoiled for throwers on the basis of my rares and crafts. Either that or normal scalpers just aren't tremendously valuable to me
Francisca
Throw Damage: 52 - 97
One Hand Damage: 32 - 64
Quantity: 130
Required Level: 57
Required Strength: 25
Required Dexterity: 80
Fingerprint: 0xedace06f
+20% Increased Attack Speed
194% Enhanced Damage
25% Bonus to Attack Rating
5% Life stolen per hit
33% Chance of Open Wounds
+4 to Mana after each Kill
Replenishes quantity

Demon Thirst - too bad there's no rep q / amp damage / fools D: but it's neat aside from that
Balanced Knife
Throw Damage: 19 - 36
One Hand Damage: 3 - 26
Quantity: 160
Required Level: 60
Required Dexterity: 51
Fingerprint: 0xa513c604
Item Level: 83
+40% Increased Attack Speed
230% Enhanced Damage
+166 to Attack Rating
Adds 34 - 92 Cold Damage Over 4 Secs (100 Frames)

Realgar Jewel of Fervor - I can see myself putting this in a helm
Jewel
Required Level: 37
Fingerprint: 0x65452924
Item Level: 80
+15% Increased Attack Speed
28% Enhanced Damage

I have also found a host of useful charms, most among them are high health scs and scs with resists. (and some with a combination of the two) but I have way more than I have the patience to get readouts for. Somewhere down the line, maybe I'll post a tribute post to the charms I've gotten use from.

Non-related but still fun finds:
Entrapping Grand Charm of Sustenance - perhaps the best skiller I've found
Grand Charm
Required Level: 53
Fingerprint: 0xc5662bea
Unidentified
+1 to Trap Skills (Assassin Only)
+35 to Life

Chilling Grand Charm
Grand Charm
Required Level: 42
Fingerprint: 0x2e8e48a5
+1 to Cold Skills (Sorceress Only)

Sparking Grand Charm of Dexterity
Grand Charm
Fingerprint: 0xddd20fbb
Unidentified
+1 to Lightning Skills (Sorceress Only)
+3 to Dexterity

Dire Tower - Honestly, I just think this thing is cute
Buckler
Defense: 4
Chance to Block: 10
Durability: 9 of 12
Required Level: 31
Required Strength: 12
Fingerprint: 0x86a1a607
+10% Faster Hit Recovery
+15% Faster Block Rate
10% Increased Chance of Blocking
Replenish Life +4
+5 to Mana
All Resistances +20
Lightning Resist +12%

Imp Fringe - Definitely the best rare belt I've found in recent memory
Battle Belt
Defense: 86
Durability: 16 of 18
Required Level: 50
Required Strength: 88
Fingerprint: 0xc4fcf909
Item Level: 82
+24% Faster Hit Recovery
+100% Enhanced Defense
+19 to Strength
+51 to Life
+10 to Mana
Fire Resist +9%
All in all, I'm excited about the finds thus far and I'm feeling pretty good about getting more useful things before venturing too mcuh further

Last edited:
Code:
Name (F)     Name (C)       SC/HC   Class   Level/exp   Extended Stash   #of S/U   Grail/504   #of deaths   # of Hours
zticazzy     Perkele         SC      Barb      99             No            -          -            -           -
Pb_pal       Eleanor         SC      Sorc      98.50          No         3064        437            5           -
NanoMist     Izuna           SC      Sin       98.4           No         3724        457            3         287
T72on1       Neverland       SC      Sorc      97             Yes        1594        394           11         148.5
PhineasB     Mercy           SC      Sin       96             Yes           -        361            9           -
hasuprotoss  Reina           SC      Sorc      95             Yes         894        316            -           -
XyleneCyanol Fishie          HC      Sorc      95             No            -          -            -           -
Tarantella   Tarasha         HC      Sorc      94             Yes           -          -            -           -
Reyz         Qty             SC      Sorc      92             No            -          -            -           -
PhineasB     Hiatus          SC      Sorc      93             Yes           -        326           15           -
OldSoldier   Battleforge     HC      Pala      91             Yes           -        236            -           -
Southpaw     Njord           SC      Druid     90             Yes           -          -            -           -
Qwernt       CanbeOnlyBlizz  SC      Sorc      90             Yes           -          -        Dont want to know
LiquidClear  Sally           SC      Assn      **             Yes         225          -            1           -
Neksja       Turirao         SC      Druid     87             Yes         191        124            5           -
Gladstone    Socrates        HC      Druid     86             ?             -          -            -           -
Neksja       Aura            SC      Paladin   86             Yes          77         69            -           -
Lord Molyb   Cruise_Control  SC      Necro     84             No          104         87           16          idk
Gambit       Mallenroh       SC      Sorc      81             Yes           0          0            0           0
Zenigma      Ayura           SC      Barb      78             No            -          -            -           -
Zenigma      Gnosis          SC      Druid     78             No            -          -            -           -
logo         Digimon         HC      Nec       76             Yes          85         65            0           -
Darke Rahl   Bells           HC      Ama       74             No           19          -            0           0
liquid_mage  zDadColdSorc    SC      Sorc      73             Yes           -         54           11           -
MercMan      Este            SC      Ama       68             Yes          178       122            2      Classified
Vildecor     Celia           SC      Ama       59             Yes          52         43            0           -
ioupainmax   Durnik          SC      Paladin   52             Yes          50         42            -           -
Lord Molyb   Verisimilitude  SC      Ama       50             No           12          9            0         idk
TwentyMule   Valus           HC      Barb      47             Yes          11          8            -           -
Kitteh       Darozzo         HC      Druid     45             No            -          -            -           -
TrU          Henryk          SC      Barb      41             Yes           -          -           22          12
Gambit       Colossus        SC      Pal       39             Yes           0          0            0           0
Smancer      Smancer         SC      Necro     26             Yes           1          -            -           -
Ergroilnin   Erilinda        HC      Sorc      20             No            -          -            -           -

The Fallen:
Code:
Name (F)    Name (C)       SC/HC   Class   Level/exp   Extended Stash   #of S/U   Grail/504   #of deaths   # of Hours
coju        NintyNine_orRiP HC      Sorc      81             Yes           -          0            0         a few
Tenecabo    OldShatterhand  HC      Druid     49             Yes           -          0            1           -
coju        fB              HC      Sorc      29             Yes           1          1            0           2
Kitteh      Verallus        HC      Druid     26             No          N/A        N/A            0          N/A
logo        Rolex           HC      Barb      21             Yes           0          0            0           1

My update comes only a week late. Whoops...

Turirao:
Turirao is a Patriarch! Unfortunately, I don't have screenshots of his journey as I realised after Duriel and Mephisto that I forgot to took screenshots of killing them :( Anyhow...

Act1 and 2 were done very quickly. Oath Feral Axe is pretty lethal weapon, I think if I'd reroll and get a like 325ed+ roll, that weapon would carry me probably close to 95, if not longer, provided that I get Fortitude at some point. Anyway, I pretty much just wanted to run through the quests as fast as possible. I was worried at first about how to handle Poison and Physical Immunes, but a solution came from Rakanishu if I'm not mistaken:

Code:
Atma's Scarab
Amulet
Required Level: 60
Fingerprint: 0x6a7924eb
5% Chance to cast level 2 Amplify Damage on striking
20% Bonus to Attack Rating
Adds 40 Poison Damage Over 4 Secs (100 Frames)
Poison Resist +75%
Attacker Takes Damage of 5
+3 to Light Radius

This was a game changer, definitely. I found 3 Nokozan's before finding this, so I really lucked out with this. Now I don't have to figure out where to farm for that Reaper's Toll, maybe later though so I can change to some other amulet. But I did notice, that the ctc Amplify Damage works best if I used Feral Rage or Rabies instead of Fury. Might be common knowledge or not, but news to me, but if the first hit of Fury cycle doesn't proc Amp damage, the rest won't either. So, using Rabies/Feral rage until Amp procs and then switching to Fury works best as it takes a while to go through a Fury cycle so you have less chances per sec to proc Amp.

Neither Andariel or Duriel caused any harm. Pretty boring stuff to be honest, although, Puppy feels a bit fragile with only 2.2k life and no block. I guess I should try to respec as I have Dex up at 136 for Grief, if I eventually get one.And that's quite a big if. I'll see about that later.

Puppy was in Act 3. I hate that place with a melee char. All of a sudden you'll get hit by 5+ darts from those flayers, so you need to be prepared to drink some quick juvies. I actually ran through most of Act 3 with my switch active (Redeemer + Lidless Wall), to have at least a mediocre chance at blocking those darts. This time I was ready for dolls, so dolls didn't get Puppy in Hell. Travincal was quite easy, although with 50ish Fire Res, I had to be cautious. After Travincal, I decided to swap my gloves, so off to crafting I was! Didn't craft anything super amazing, but ended up keeping and using these:

Code:
Havoc Finger
Sharkskin Gloves
Defense: 52
Durability: 12 of 14
Required Level: 50
Required Strength: 20
Fingerprint: 0x128651d2
14% Chance to cast level 5 Nova when struck
3% Life stolen per hit
8% Chance of Crushing Blow
+32% Enhanced Defense
+15 to Life
Cold Resist +11%
Lightning Resist +28%

I think the increase from 15% to 23% Crushing Blow was worth dropping my Fire res by 11 to 40ish. Worked well against Mephi, I guess I lucked out a bit as I think the first Fury cycle had Crushing Blow applied 3 times. So Mephi went down really quick.

Quickly ran through to Izual, who also went down quickly and off to Hephasto. Hellforge was Um, which was nice in case I want to use it for Jalal's or Stone for Merc. CS was okay, Infector's gang almost killed me twice because of my low Fire res, but I made it through. Diablo himself was pretty easy too, but I didn't expect it to be difficult at p1.

Act5, I stopped at Eldritch again as I enjoy running the pack and they usually give me lots of goodies. No luck this time and I moved on after reaching lvl86. Saving Anya was quite painful because of the Succubus casting Amp damage on me all the time. I just slowed down, separated groups to smaller packs and dealt with them that way. That's pretty much the Wolf way anyways, but I was in a rush to Patriarch Puppy. Then facing the Ancients, I was a bit scared of that match-up, not knowing if Puppy can take three badasses at once without separating them much. Good start, no Physical Immunes (not sure if they can be Physical Immunes?), so off I was running around. Got lucky and Madawc got stuck somewhere so I dealt with Talic and Korlic together, which didn't take too long as they didn't have their throwing brother causing me troubles. Then it was just hunting down Madawc and taking him down. I was not lvl87 as I got to WSK2 waypoint, so I decided to do some Pit runs and get to lvl87 before taking on Baal and his minions. I was kinda surprised that not even Lister's gang caused any troubles, Puppy was pretty strong and had pretty good life leech (+9 from gear + Feral Rage). Baal annoyed the living hell of me by casting his clone and that cold attack of his, so I was really slow and trying to deal with his clone as well. Eventually, I beat Baal down and was rewarded with Harlequin Crest. Pretty great drop considering all other quest Boss drops of Puppy, but it's not gonna replace Jalal's Mane.

The plan now is to go back to Pits, keep grinding until 90-92ish and if no Lo dropped, then move to LK and grind two Lo runes for Fortitude and Grief. After that, I don't really know yet.

Aura:
As I mentioned some time ago, I started a Hammerdin as I wanted a caster type char to run in this "tournament" as well, but I have a lvl94 Blizzsorc (who is untwinked as well, so if I feel really desperate, I'll add her in to the table as well :p).

Aura was named after a Finnish brand of blue cheese, as Hammerdins are the definition of cheesy character in D2. Plus, Aura can refer to Paladin auras as well, so win-win.

Questing through Normal and Nightmare were pretty uneventful. He didn't have much MF gear on, so drops were really quite bad, but I did manage to find possibly the cutest pair of rare gloves I'll ever find in Act 1 Normal:

Code:
Brimstone Touch
Leather Gloves
Defense: 2
Durability: 26 of 36
Required Level: 1
Fingerprint: 0x7869dd3e
Item Level: 1
+1 to Strength
+1 to Dexterity
Cold Resist +5%
Fire Resist +5%
Poison Resist +5%

Triple res and double stat. The only other attribute available at lvl 1 as far as I know is Self-Repair, so with that, the gloves would be perfect. I'll probably hold on these forever, they look so nice :)

Anyhow, Aura kept running through Normal as fast as possible, only stopping at certain places like Countess, Arcane Sanctuary and River of Flame to run for experience. In no time, Aura was in Act5 beating Eldritch over and over and over again. I was using Rhyme shield with Rusthandle that I got from Mephisto I think and found nothing really worthy of note and I got to level 45ish. So, let's move on to Nightmare.

Act 1, I made a plan of finding a 4os Sword and Shield. I found them in Arcane Sanctuary... Dual Spirit and things get really fast as a Hammerdin. I kept running Arcane Sanctuary to gain levels and hoping for a better base for my Spirit shield, but no luck. At lvl53-54, I moved on and rushed through to Act 5 Eldritch again. My luck was turning around a little bit. I got 4os +37 all res Akaran Rondache so I got myself a new Spirit. I was about to reach level 70, when they gifted me with a rune, Mal rune. Got me pretty excited, don't think I've seen that high rune in NM before. Not that I needed it for anything, but it was a nice surprise none the less. At lvl72 I felt bored and decided that the faster I get to Hell Lower Kurast, the earlier I can start to hunt for Enigma so I went and rescued Anya and beat Baal. I can barely remember how these went as it took me like about an hour to quest through Act 5.

Act 1 Hell, oh boy is Aura fragile! Thankfully, I'm going for max block (because why not with Holy Shield), so I was relatively safe, but any boss pack was a real threat. I managed to get to Rakanishu and started to reset my maps for a good one to run Rakanishu, when a Zombie pack in one ugly map dropped this:

Code:
Bul-Kathos' Wedding Band
Ring
Required Level: 58
Fingerprint: 0xfc6badfd
Item Level: 71
+1 to All Skills
5% Life stolen per hit
+43 to Life (Based on Character Level)
+50 Maximum Stamina

Wow, I as expecting to see this item earliest from Mephisto/CS runs! Amazing luck for Aura! Finally got good map for Rakanishu, ran him for quite a few levels, I think until 79 and then moved on to Pits until I was 81 and decided to move on towards LK. Andariel was quite easy, Stealth armor gives a nice amount of Poison res so she didn't really hurt me much. Act 2, oh dear god. Maggot Lair. Maggot, freaking, lair. That's not a place for a Hammerdin. So, I relied on my Merc poking around and walking away and me using probably 25-30 Town Portals during those 3 levels. It was a real pain in the ass, but I made it. Duriel was easy to handle, Merc died almost instantly, but Blessed Hammer is not that mana consuming, so no necessary need for Insight. There I was, Act 3. I was Vigoring through it as fast as I could until I was in Lower Kurast. First map, one bonfire pretty close to waypoint but I didn't want to change map yet as the armor rack dropped Sacred Rondaches. Few hours later, I got myself 4os +42all res Sacred Rondache and thought that it was good enough and then changing maps. Now, I have a decent map where I have two bonfires almost next to each other next to the waypoint, so I'm now getting around 40-45 sec runs (approximate, haven't timed myself yet), which is not great, but it's something and I doubt I can make it much faster with a non teleport character.

edit. I did two test runs, both were pretty spot on 36 seconds each, but they were runs with very limited number of enemies around, so I would assume my average time is around ~40 seconds, because if there's more monsters, I need to run around them, lure them away from chests or kill them, which takes time. I need to check if I could get faster by using a Town Portal at the end of the run, wp to Act1 and Save and Exit there instead of Save and Exit in Act3 and running from the docks. With Vigor, I think it's probably faster to just run from Act 3 docks to waypoint.

So far, I lucked out within the first 2 hours of running by finding that Sur I posted earlier. After that, I've done around 12 hours of running, so roughly 1k runs and I've gotten 1 Mal rune and 3 Lem runes. Not impressed. But I gotta keep going, I still have quite a bit to go, I set myself a target of finding a one Vex+ rune each week (I think that's quite plausible if I can do over 1k runs each week), so obviously I'm in target this week, but I gotta break this slump before it gets longer.

In case anyone is wondering Aura's gear, here it is:
Code:
Priest's Coronet of Razors
Coronet
Defense: 35
Durability: 30 of 30
Fingerprint: 0x869e3c01
+2 to Paladin Skill Levels
Attacker Takes Damage of 9

Order Scarab
Amulet
Required Level: 15
Fingerprint: 0xe89a19d2
Item Level: 34
+1 to Combat Skills (Paladin Only)
+17 to Attack Rating
+27 to Life
Replenish Life +7
Fire Resist +10%

Spirit
Crystal Sword
TalThulOrtAmn
One Hand Damage: 5 - 15
Durability: 20 of 20
Required Level: 25
Required Strength: 43
Fingerprint: 0xd9ec26bd
Item Level: 48
+2 to All Skills
+34% Faster Cast Rate
+55% Faster Hit Recovery
Adds 1 - 50 Lightning Damage
Adds 3 - 14 Cold Damage Over 3 Secs (75 Frames)
Adds 75 Poison Damage Over 5 Secs (125 Frames)
7% Life stolen per hit
+250 Defense vs. Missile
+22 to Vitality
+102 to Mana
+3 Magic Absorb
4 Sockets (4 used)
Socketed: Tal Rune
Socketed: Thul Rune
Socketed: Ort Rune
Socketed: Amn Rune

Duriel's Shell
Cuirass
Defense: 640
Durability: 141 of 150
Required Level: 41
Required Strength: 65
Fingerprint: 0x99f214e3
+163% Enhanced Defense
+107 Defense (Based on Character Level)
+15 to Strength
+86 to Life (Based on Character Level)
Cold Resist +30%
All Resistances +20
Cannot Be Frozen
+100 Maximum Durability

Spirit
Sacred Rondache
TalThulOrtAmn
Defense: 155
Chance to Block: 0
Durability: 57 of 68
Required Level: 52
Required Strength: 109
Fingerprint: 0xf2019229
+2 to All Skills
+35% Faster Cast Rate
+55% Faster Hit Recovery
+250 Defense vs. Missile
+22 to Vitality
+108 to Mana
Cold Resist +35%
All Resistances +42
Lightning Resist +35%
Poison Resist +35%
+3 Magic Absorb
Attacker Takes Damage of 14
4 Sockets (4 used)
Socketed: Tal Rune
Socketed: Thul Rune
Socketed: Ort Rune
Socketed: Amn Rune

Frostburn
Gauntlets
Defense: 48
Durability: 23 of 24
Required Level: 29
Required Strength: 60
Fingerprint: 0xa34acfd9
Item Level: 60
5% Enhanced Damage
Adds 1 - 6 Cold Damage Over 2 Secs (50 Frames)
+16% Enhanced Defense
+30 Defense
Increase Maximum Mana 40%

Scintillating Ring
Ring
Required Level: 59
Fingerprint: 0xfae5effd
Item Level: 70
All Resistances +15

Tal Rasha's Fine-Spun Cloth
Mesh Belt
Durability: 11 of 16
Required Level: 53
Required Strength: 38
Fingerprint: 0x7a8db5e1
Item Level: 62
+20 to Dexterity
+30 to Mana
37% Damage Taken Goes To Mana
10% Better Chance of Getting Magic Items
Requirements -20%
Set (2 items): +60 Defense
Set (3 items): +10% Faster Cast Rate

Bul-Kathos' Wedding Band
Ring
Required Level: 58
Fingerprint: 0xfc6badfd
+1 to All Skills
5% Life stolen per hit
+43 to Life (Based on Character Level)
+50 Maximum Stamina

Tearhaunch
Greaves
Defense: 61
Durability: 23 of 24
Required Strength: 70
Fingerprint: 0xc1f8e99d
+20% Faster Run/Walk
+2 to Vigor (Paladin Only)
+64% Enhanced Defense
+35 Defense
+5 to Strength
+5 to Dexterity
All Resistances +10

I was sick on Saturday so I got a lot of playing time.

Per my previous posts I stalled out a bit at the end of NM, beginning of Hell around level 73. So i did the following:
1. Rolled a new Spirit sword with 35FCR, got lucky and got 35% on my first re-roll.
2. Put on Trang's gloves, this gave me 55FCR.
3. Then I upgraded my Merc to a Grim Scythe Insight, instead of his etheral Poleaxe. It was a 20% damage increase for him.
This allowed me to run NM Baal on P7 until level 77, then I jumped to Act 1 Hell. Some notes about early Hell.
1. Tree head wood guy sucks it took me 5 tries to get the book to free Deckard Cain.
2. I did about 20 p3 countess runs that got me to level 78. No good runes dropped, nothing higher than IO.
3. Andy was a piece of cake, she didn't drop anything special.
4. Then I rushed to the Lost City WP, and rolled 5-6 maps go get a decent AT map that was close to the WP.
5. I have been running P3 AT and hit level 85.
No good drops in AT, still need a HC Shako. The best things about AT so far is that I have gotten some good item bases. I've upgrade my merc's Insight to a Colossus Voulge, my Rhyme shield is now in a Grim Shield, and i was finally able to get 4os armor for 4 P.Topazes.

A side note when upping your rare boots, always check what the new strength requirement will be. Really nice R/W, Tri-Resist, MF boots.

My best find so far in AT.
ZZxCZqE.jpg

Code:
Neksja       Turirao         SC      Druid     87             Yes         191        124            5           -
Neksja       Aura            SC      Paladin   86             Yes          77         69            -           -
liquid_mage  zDadColdSorc    SC      Sorc      85             Yes           -        160            -           -

The Fallen:
Code:

Last edited:
@OldSoldier thanks! Go Blue! And LGRW! Watching the game right now :)

Code:
liquid_mage  zDadColdSorc    SC      Sorc      85             Yes           -        160            -           -
TwentyMule   Valus           HC      Barb      74             Yes          94         72            -           -

The Fallen:
Code:

I've been pretty busy with work lately, but I've played a bit on and off over the past week. I'm pleased to say that Valus the Concentrate Barb has moved onto Hell at the ripe age of 74!

Running meph was fun for awhile, stashing everything he dropped because of the restart, but running with a barb was quite tedious, so I moved on after only 25 runs or so. I did manage to get a couple of useful items from him, however.

I had a nice little surprise running Eldritch for XP:

Screenshot005_zpsedwuonnp.jpg

Not sure what to think of it, but after running the pits in hell a couple of times I think I need a new weapon. Maybe you guys could help me out. Here's a readout of my current gear:

Code:
Earthshaker
Battle Hammer
One-Hand Damage: 98 to 162
Durability: 54 of 105
Required Strength: 100
Required Level: 43
Mace Class - Fast Attack Speed
Item Version: 1.10+ Expansion
Item Level: 59
Fingerprint: 0x3dfba455
+180% Enhanced Damage
+50 Maximum Durability
Knockback
30% Increased Attack Speed
Hit Blinds Target +1
150% Damage to Undead
+3 to Elemental Skills (Druid Only)
5% Chance to cast Level 7 Fissure on striking

Myth
Superior Templar Coat
'HelAmnNef'
Defense: 313
Durability: 49 of 67
Required Strength: 100
Fingerprint: 0xab9847bd
+14% Enhanced Defense
+30 Defense vs. Missile
Replenish Life +10
Increase Maximum Durability 11%
Attacker Takes Damage of 14
+2 to Barbarian Skill Levels
Requirements -15%
10% Chance to cast Level 1 Taunt on striking
3% Chance to cast Level 1 Howl when struck
Socketed (3: 3 used)

Whitstan's Guard
Round Shield
Defense: 154
Chance to Block:  87%
Smite Damage: 7 to 14
Durability: 54 of 64
Required Strength: 53
Fingerprint: 0x2699d244
+175% Enhanced Defense
+55% Increased Chance of Blocking
All Resistances +19
+5 to Light Radius
40% Faster Block Rate
Half Freeze Duration
Socketed (1: 1 used)

Guillaume's Face
Winged Helm
Defense: 217
Durability: 30 of 40
Required Strength: 115
Required Level: 34
Fingerprint: 0xa99e0c5d
+15 to Strength
+120% Enhanced Defense
30% Faster Hit Recovery
35% Chance of Crushing Blow
15% Deadly Strike

Magnus' Skin
Sharkskin Gloves
Defense: 60
Durability: 10 of 14
Required Level: 37
Fingerprint: 0x15050843
+50% Enhanced Defense
+100 to Attack Rating
Fire Resist +15%
+3 to Light Radius
20% Increased Attack Speed

Infernostride
Demonhide Boots
Defense: 101
Durability: 3 of 12
Kick Damage: 26 to 46
Fingerprint: 0xee5ed6
+141% Enhanced Defense
+15 Defense
Fire Resist +30%
+10% to Maximum Fire Resist
Adds 12-33 fire damage
54% Extra Gold from Monsters
+2 to Light Radius
20% Faster Run/Walk
5% Chance to cast Level 8 Blaze when struck

Death's Guard
Sash
Defense: 22
Durability: 11 of 12
Required Level: 6
Fingerprint: 0x4c4af50b
+20 Defense
Cannot Be Frozen

***Partial Set Item Bonuses***
All Resistances +15
***Partial Set Item Bonuses***

Bone Grasp
Ring
Required Level: 14
Item Level: 21
Fingerprint: 0x7ac84b07
+2 to Minimum Damage
Fire Resist +16%
Lightning Resist +8%
Cold Resist +16%
3% Life stolen per hit
Level 1 Charged Bolt (22/22 Charges)

Stone Turn
Ring
Required Level: 41
Fingerprint: 0x269b9fb7
+2 to Strength
+50 to Attack Rating
Lightning Resist +28%
3% Life stolen per hit
Replenish Life +6
8% Better Chance of Getting Magic Items

Dread Mark
Amulet
Required Level: 33
Item Level: 45
Fingerprint: 0x39c5ce86
+8 to Dexterity
Lightning Resist +32%
Poison Resist +30%
+50 poison damage over 3 seconds
4% Mana stolen per hit

I'm sure I could have done a better job of keeping current on runeword armors and whatnot but, that's the best I could find so far. The belt is, unfortunately, the only CBF mod I possess.
Keep in mind I play hardcore. So what should I use the Mal for? Oath? Sanctuary? I've yet to use 90% of the runewords out there but those make the most sense to me. I could save it for Grief, but the first Lo I see is going into fortitude. What do you guys think?

@TwentyMuleTeam - Oath will do nicely until you find that Lo rune and 5 os phase blade. You'll most likely come across another Mal rune by then, so I wouldn't save it for Grief just yet. Good luck with the weapon bases though. Personally I would try to reach LK as soon as possible to go for Grief and Enigma, as those two items will vastly improve your overall kill speed. Barb can run LK safely with his huge life pool and crowd control skills.

Yes, agreed. Oath is very good. Try to find a good ethereal base and you are set.

@TwentyMuleTeam I salute you for giving the untwinked 99 challenge ago with a concentration barb. While i've been sticking with my Blizzard Sorc for now, part of me would love to try this with a different character. I love melee characters.

The blizzard sorc is up to level eighty eight now. A quick run down goes as follows:
1. Ran AT from level 78 to level 88, my best find in AT was a MAL rune and a Ravenlore boo.
2. After I hit 88 and was not finding much in the way of useful gear in AT I decided to push to Mephisto.
3. Some areas where pretty rough and loaded with CIs but I as able to TP around with only a few save and exits when things got really ugly. Duriel and Meph didn't drop much on my first play through.
4. I will run Meph for a bit to get some basic gear, Shako, Skin of the Viper or Skulders, Vamp Gaze or Guillaume's helm, etc...
5. Tonight I need to grab my Act4 extra skill points and do my hell forge as well.

A big part of the reason I pushed to Meph is that I feel that upgrading 2-3 pieces of gear will help me run AT higher than P5. Right now my merc gets killed in 1/3 of my runs at P5 and I'd like to push for P7 or P8 for more XP.

Notable drops from AT:
UM (mentioned above)
Mal
+5/-4 Cold Facet
Ravenlore
P&B Skill Charm with 12% FHR
P&B Skill Charm (+2-3 Fire damage, boo)

Code:
LiquidClear  Sally           SC      Assn      88             Yes         225          -            1           -
liquid_mage  zDadColdSorc    SC      Sorc      88             Yes           -        160            -           -
TwentyMule   Valus           HC      Barb      74             Yes          94         72            -           -

The Fallen:
Code:

Last edited:
@liquid_mage It's definitely different from what I'm used to but it's a fun challenge. I usually rock the blizz sorc because I love to farm :)

Thanks for the feedback guys, I'll keep a lookout for an eth 4os weapon on my way to LK.
I did luck out and find a non eth 4os ettin axe in the pits and made use of it, so my kill speed went up significantly;

Code:
Passion
Ettin Axe
'DolOrtEldLem'
One-Hand Damage: 95 to 190
Durability: 19 of 24
Required Dexterity: 45
Required Strength: 145
Required Level: 52
Axe Class - Fast Attack Speed
Item Level: 85
Fingerprint: 0x79424495
+189% Enhanced Damage
Adds 1-50 lightning damage
75% Extra Gold from Monsters
25% Increased Attack Speed
+1 to Berserk
+1 to Zeal
Hit Causes Monster to Flee 25%
Hit Blinds Target +10
71% Bonus to Attack Rating
75% Damage to Undead
+50 to Attack Rating against Undead
Level 3 Heart of Wolverine (12/12 Charges)
Socketed (4: 4 used)

Not a bad roll and the speed is VF on my barb.
I was also able to finally use some skill points I was saving for a mastery. Just needed the weapon.

Great progress everyone, enjoying reading about your journeys. That phase of the trip seems like so long go, it's nice to hear about it again!

Speaking of which, we're halfway from halfway to the end! Also known as 75% complete.

EpyWntP.jpg

We've shifted gameplay style again, going for full-blown XP efficiency and ease of playing now. That means almost all of our MF is now gone (only 37% remains) in favour of survival gear, so S/U frequency has ground to a halt. I don't mind though, as I stopped counting S/U numbers once she hit halfway.

The bigger change is that we've re-rolled our map to get one with the quickest configuration on the Halls of Pain, and we're completely ignoring shrines now. Yes, you read that right. After all that testing and number crunching I've come to the conclusion that (for me, in this specific scenario) it's better to ignore shrines.

The reason for this is not necessarily that the XP comes significantly faster this way, because it doesn't (although it does seem to come a little bit faster, but that just might be confirmation bias). It's simply to make gameplay as seamless and straightforward as possible. It's now just a matter of teleporting in a direct line to exactly where I need to go without having to pay attention to anything along the way.

My runtimes without shrines are consistently around 28 seconds/run, whereas with shrines they could bump up to 31-32 fairly often.

Of course, as Nanomist previously pointed out, this does carry the inherent risk that my number or runs needed to complete the level increase, and with them bring a higher risk of dying, but it's a trade that I'm more than willing to make at this junction.

Eleanor still hasn't died yet this level, and I'm so used to the runs now and knowing when to abort, it feels extremely safe. Only just over 3k runs to go!

Finds:
- Ber
- Ohm (though I can't find the screenie)
- A couple decent Elites (Andy's Visage, Reapers)

--

Code:
Pb_pal       Eleanor         SC      Sorc      98.75          No         3064        437            5           -
liquid_mage  zDadColdSorc    SC      Sorc      **             Yes           -        160            -           -

The Fallen:
Code:

Great going @Pb_pal !

Glad to hear the build is working for you. I'm amazed you can run Nihlathak so safely with a sorc with "just" a little over 2k ilfe. Best of luck for the remaining runs!

Great going @Pb_pal !

Glad to hear the build is working for you. I'm amazed you can run Nihlathak so safely with a sorc with "just" a little over 2k ilfe. Best of luck for the remaining runs!

Well, "safe" is relative. :p

I often end up below half life, and still have some pretty serious NDEs. I managed to drill it into my head that it's better to abort than try for that extra kill, so erring on the side of caution in that regards keeps me well away from the more scary circumstances detailed in her last update. The fact that I'm rarely jumping in to pick up drops now is what keeps me the most safe, as once I have an established position (usually near the bottom-right corner of the room) all the monsters focus on the merc and I can spam my Blizzards in peace until Nihl goes down.

@Pb_pal do you mind sharing what gear your wearing? I've been thinking about gear for my sorc quite bit lately. I'll probably where ~200mf until I hit level 95-96. But I'm also thinking of going strictly survival once I hit mid 90s and death's hurt a lot. I see you did not go the block route due to your ~80dex in your screen shot.

Also great progress.

@liquid_mage - Sure! And yes you're right, no block for Eleanor. I never do blocking on sorcs, though not for any really particular reason. I do shudder to think how low her life would be is I didn't have her as pure vita though.

Her gear is as follows:

Head: Nightwing's (perfect 15%) socketed with a 15res/7str Jewel
Body: Ormus Robes (Blizzard, +13% cold dmg) socketed with a +3/-5 cold facet
Belt: Arachnid's Mesh
Gloves: Trang's
Boots: Aldur's
Main Weapon: +21% cold, +37% light (relevant since she's a Blova) Fathom socketed with an Ist
Main Shield: 35% FCR Spirit Monarch
Amulet: Tal Rasha's
Rings: Nature's Peace/SoJ
Switch: CtA (+5BO)/Spirit

Charms: 3 Cold Skillers, 2 Light Skillers and the rest are various Life and/or Res charms, including a 5%FHR/7%LR to hit the 60%(8 frame) FHR breakpoint with Spirit.

Your plan sounds solid, and IIRC that's pretty much exactly what I did. Full MF setup until ~95 as I was running AT. After that I switched to running the CS, so had to switch out some MF for survival at that point, but still kept MF at a decent number (I think around 150). I actually switched to Baal at ~97.5 to use her in the MFO, but if you stay in the CS until 98 you can maximize your Ancient's reward. You should be able to amass most of your gear going that route, the only gear upgrade I can remember off the top of my head post-95 was the Nightwings, and maybe the Arachs (granted, I got extremely lucky getting a Fathom at around 91/92 or so).

One thing to note is that I do keep a "body retrieval kit" in the stash that comprises of a Mosers (2xPDiamond), HoTo and a Goldwrap (just for potions). Highly recommended that you make one up too, as like you said, death's at high levels are nothing to joke about.

EDIT: Forgot the merc.

Emilio - Holy Freeze
Head: Delerium
Body: CoH (Eth Archon Plate)
Wep: Infinity (Eth Giant Thresher)

Last edited:
Code:
Pb_pal       Eleanor         SC      Sorc      98.75          No         3064        437            5           -
Neksja       Aura            SC      Paladin   91             Yes         153        122            -           -
liquid_mage  zDadColdSorc    SC      Sorc      **             Yes           -        160            -           -

The Fallen:
Code:

Time to do a quick update now, next one coming up in couple of weeks since I'm off to a holiday back home on Tuesday so very limited, if any, D2 for me in the next two weeks.

Turirao:
Don't believe what the "experts" say, Wolves do hibernate. Trust me, I'm a biologist. Turirao is hibernating and expected to wake up in few weeks.

Aura:
Aura took a quick break from LK and quested through to Act5 and Eldritch and eventually saved Anya as well, but no further just now. I already posted on IFT about the two "big finds", Ist from Lord de Seis and Lo from Eldritch.

I kept running Eldritch since I needed a break from LK really bad. I kept running Eldritch until level 91 and managed to find Tal's Armor and Trang-Oul's Armor and Gloves. So, now Aura has two different setups, one with Tal Armor for MF and Eldritch runs, one with Trang-Oul's Armor for LK runs.

I have now decided to go back to /p3 in LK and stop picking up gems, unless I am picking up charms/runes and there's a gem right next to it as well. At the moment I have almost 400 pgems stashed so I want to focus on runes. Running /p3 makes runs faster as I face less mobs and the chest drops are typically smaller so less time spent checking the drop. /p7 didn't give me anything for like 1500-1600 runs, so I'm hoping /p3 works better, that first Sur was on /p3.

I have been holding off for doing my first respec, as I kinda want that Enigma to save points in Strength and also to calculate properly how much Dex I need for Max Block. I have also been toying with the idea of not maxing Holy Shield, as with my planned end game gear, the difference between 13 and 20 hard points in Holy Shield results in +1% chance to block. I've noticed quite a few 99 Hammerdins who've levelled up in CS have used Hotspur boots for the +15% max Fire res, so instead of Hotspurs, I was thinking of 10 hard point in Resist Fire (to get +5% max Fire res) and then use Waterwalks for the another +5% and a decent boost to life and Dex. Haven't made up my mind yet.

Here's some charms/jewels I've found so far with Aura:

Skillers:
Code:
Chilling Grand Charm of Balance
Grand Charm
Fingerprint: 0x963473c3
Item Level: 84
+1 to Cold Skills (Sorceress Only)
+12% Faster Hit Recovery

Hexing Grand Charm of Balance
Grand Charm
Fingerprint: 0x6bdbf7b6
+1 to Curses (Necromancer only)
+12% Faster Hit Recovery

Natural Grand Charm of Greed
Grand Charm
Fingerprint: 0x33a04c23
+1 to Elemental Skills (Druid Only)
16% Extra Gold from Monsters

Fungal Grand Charm
Grand Charm
Fingerprint: 0x8514794b
+1 to Poison and Bone Skills (Necromancer Only)

Sounding Grand Charm of Greed
Grand Charm
Fingerprint: 0x21931f64
+1 to Warcry Skills (Barbarian Only)
37% Extra Gold from Monsters

Acrobatic Grand Charm of Greed
Grand Charm
Fingerprint: 0xace8696b
+1 to Passive and Magic Skills (Amazon Only)
13% Extra Gold from Monsters

Fungal Grand Charm
Grand Charm
Fingerprint: 0x41277156
+1 to Poison and Bone Skills (Necromancer Only)

Hexing Grand Charm
Grand Charm
Fingerprint: 0x8c3fe750
+1 to Curses (Necromancer only)

Trainer's Grand Charm of Life
Grand Charm
Fingerprint: 0x5267587a
Item Level: 51
+1 to Summoning Skills (Druid Only)
+7 to Life

Other charms:
Code:
Fine Small Charm of Dexterity
Small Charm
Required Level: 21
Fingerprint: 0xa1778d46
+3 to Maximum Damage
+14 to Attack Rating
+2 to Dexterity

Fine Small Charm of Inertia
Small Charm
Required Level: 27
Fingerprint: 0xaa9481df
+3% Faster Run/Walk
+3 to Maximum Damage
+18 to Attack Rating

Fine Small Charm of Vita
Small Charm
Required Level: 39
Fingerprint: 0xd7a4a089
Item Level: 84
+2 to Maximum Damage
+13 to Attack Rating
+20 to Life

Arcing Small Charm of Storms
Small Charm
Required Level: 57
Fingerprint: 0x876f88a7
Adds 2 - 54 Lightning Damage

Shimmering Small Charm
Small Charm
Fingerprint: 0xae812560
All Resistances +5

Gheed's Fortune
Grand Charm
Required Level: 62
Fingerprint: 0xbc007802
Item Level: 85
133% Extra Gold from Monsters
Reduces all Vendor Prices 11%
20% Better Chance of Getting Magic Items

Of course the only Gheed's I've managed to find is worst possible MF and second worst Vendor price. Also posted in IFT, was this thing of beauty I crafted at lvl90:

Code:
Entropy Noose
Amulet
Required Level: 89
Fingerprint: 0xe4233157
Item Level: 91
+10% Faster Cast Rate
+15 to Attack Rating
+13 to Mana
Regenerate Mana 5%
All Resistances +20
Lightning Resist +7%
+1 to Light Radius

Next up, a lot more LK running and gambling Coronets. I've had the worst luck with head gear so far, no useful uniques/sets, all coronets/circlets have been rubbish and I'm actually using this at the moment:

Code:
Priest's Coronet of Razors
Coronet
Durability: 20 of 30
Fingerprint: 0x869e3c01
Attacker Takes Damage of 9

Not really a suitable helm for lvl91 character, but what can you do. I'd run Mephi for Shako, but I have possibly the worst Mephi map ever (WP is almost exactly the opposite side of the map to Mephi's lair) and my LK map is pretty good, so I'm not willing to move on from it yet. Maybe if LK keeps staying dry, I'll try a better Mephi map and possibly some RoF chests for Jah.

I haven't leveled any but i'm never re-rolling this LK map. I found these all in one day!

oAB4uKx.png

6b4SmmX.png

qLw5nwP.png

I also found these two items today. My son wanted me to fight Diablo and it was worth while, this dropped in CS.
kAwjgX7.png

And I got this on one my runs.
3zIS0zF.png

Guys this is a good chance to play this blessed game again.
I create a new character called SpeedAdict a strafezon based on pure attack speed.

Code:
Neksja       Aura            SC      Paladin   91             Yes         153        122            -           -
Jean Avila  SpeedAdict        SC      Ama     0            No            -          -            -          -

The Fallen:
Code:

PurePremium
Estimated market value
Low
High