The Runeword 'Silence' - only good for Zerker/Strafezon?

d2lover

Guide Author
Oct 8, 2019
On Zerker of course in the offhand, still Wizardspike does basically the same bar some skills.

Also, is this possible in singleplayer 1.08?

"
Silence is an expensive rune word with powerful and diverse attributes, of use to a variety of builds. It is versatile among many classes, and its increased magic find is useful as well.

Silence was one of the most powerful rune words in version 1.08, and it was the subject to a bug; a Silence with its runes removed via Horadric Cube would retain its stats, but allowed for the item to be socketed with additional runes, gems, or jewels. This bug was fixed in later patches." from here https://diablo.fandom.com/wiki/Silence_Rune_Word

If you somehow find 6 Ohm(or use a combination of Shael(s), Nef, Eth, Ohm(s)) in 1.08 that could be godly *dream* (bowazone)

And for 1.14d is a Medusazone (slow+flee) with it viable?

Wow, I never heard that one before, about keeping it's stats.. And, what happens if you make that Frankenstein of a bow in 1.08, and then moved it forward? :unsure:
And for 1.14d is a Medusazone (slow+flee) with it viable?
Yea, I made a Medusa Zon with one, and it was safe/a lot of fun! ;)

Reactions: d2lover
Even if you could forward, I doubt it beats Faith or Windforce

sure it would be a nice bow, but getting a Vex in 1.07/08 is as hard as Cowing a Jah.

Also would be interested if forwarding legit bugged stuff is generally allowed (bar classic->straight to 1.10) @maxicek

+1 for Medusazon with Silence is a pretty safe build.

But for melee, it's all about dealing with the monster flee effect from the Dol.

Reactions: d2lover
@d2lover
The legendary "Ith" weapon. If the 200ED and +2 skills is kept the theoretical possibilities on a bow are strong.

My question is , what are the mods that are kept in the unsocketed weapon and what are removed, eg are all of the mods including the mods that the rune adds, eg if the Ist is gone does the 30% MF stay.

In 1.10 or later the actual damage of a Windforce / Atma's combo might still be stronger because Silence bow hits blinds target would cancel out AD and reduce actual physical damage on monsters. Bone Warriors in the Pits have physical res . But the HC safety is top tier and the damage good enough.

Also, there are some discussions that items that are named "Ith" are deleted, in later patches and even in single player. Of course, that it what I seen and i have no hard visual evidence of that.

If you plan to do this, can you please share a video of this for research purposes.

@teddeeboy: Yeah, Ith items and hybrid runewords , which are the evolution of Ith items after Blizzard introduced the rust storm in 1.10 I suppose. There is a guy on youtube who explains it really nicely. I think it is only the mods from the runeword that stay, not the mods from the runes (Silence Ith weapons didn't have hit causes target to flee as far as I know).

Original Ith items could only be created from 1.09 onwards though, not in 1.08. But the 1.08 items like Grandfather and Arkaine's Valor have been heavily duped on B.Net and Ith items underwent some similiar procedure to be obtained as Ith items, maybe that is why they are mentioned together so often. 1.07/1.08 items per se ARE legit, duping them or Ith and white items are not. They could only obtained via certain methods including abuse of the trade window, packet sending and some other programmer thingys I don't understand, not only the removing of the runes with the cube. "Ith" was the fallback to prevent games from crashing. So they were cleary hacked items. They were removed in the 1.10 patch (rust storm) once you S&E. Hybrid runewords were a means to evade that deletion of the item. That was made impossible in 1.14d as far as I understood. So Blizzard did everything to try to remove them, unlike bugged crafted items from 1.07.

TL;DR: They are and Blizzard regards them as hacked items, unlike the original items that could be found (1.07 Arkaine's Valor) - they only tried to delete the duped items, not the original one. You could only obtain Ith/white items/hybrid Runewords with external manipulation and because there was a glitch.

I guess that means that by our SPF standards those items can never be used in the SPF (I don't know if it even was ever possible to create them in SP because you had to interact with B-Net Servers as far as I understood).

EDIT: Apparently they were first made in 1.08 but got famous during the long period of 1.09,where you were still able to hack those items.

EDIT2: found a thread in the original SPF where Sidhe (a moderator back then? Haven't been around that early) clearly states them as hacked and illegal.

Last edited:
Reactions: teddeeboy
Wow, I never heard that one before, about keeping it's stats.. And, what happens if you make that Frankenstein of a bow in 1.08, and then moved it forward? :unsure:

You would be told to delete it, ref rule 2.8

Reactions: Grisu and D2DC
Back on topic, Silence is one of those items that always seems interesting, but always seems to be inferior to something else. For example it seems great for a Tesladin, until you you realise you are better of with Crescent Moon and making up the resistances elsewhere.

I made one in a Matriarchal Pike for a planned Spearzon. +5 Skills and loads of resists is almost like Javelin + Shield, but then there is the speed issue...
I also considered one in a Phase Blade for a Weapon / Shield Trapper with 65FCR and Fade.

I gave a Silence Shadow Bow to the Act I Rogue for my themed Vanity Challenge Necromancer. It really only was für the flavor though. I wanted to make some other themed twinked characters with it, because I liked the stats - like Ranger Druid or Ranger Sorceress, but I never managed to find the time for those. But yeah, since the introduction of the 1.10 Runewords, Silence has been... Silenced I guess?

@Grisu So 1.08 Silence does not have the Hit Blinds Target?

Edit : Thanks for the video hint. I see what you are saying about the video which focuses on Battlenet. I don't want to harp the point, i see other sources saying that 1.08 Silence is realm only. The point about the unsocketing process in 1.08 is that is the part of the process for the widely used on the realms Ith weapon and the request for a video to show a runeword item actually being unsocketed in SP 1.08 using the cube and keeping their non removed rune stats because there is so much conflicting information. Perhaps a topic for the 1.08 thread

The Silence is a nice off hand weapon
It may be also a good option on a Uber Tristram dual wielding Frenzy barb in D2R paired with Grief and some CB and OW gear

Last edited:
PurePremium
Estimated market value
Low
High