The Questions Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: The Questions Thread

I'm playing an assassin in the current round of the sutc4, and D2 keeps crashing on me. It never does otherwise. I recall (vaguely) reading about a bug with one of the assassin skills that can crash the game. Which is it? Is there something I can do to prevent this?

mv
It's not only the Ancients, but areas with static enemies in it (those "what-the-heck-are-they-called-again?"-damned soul monsters in Act IV, who try to grab you from the posts they're fixed to, for example). Don't know if this happens only when they're in line of sight or in the radius from CoS...

This is a much shorter rehash from my previous (unanswered ) question.
I am currently developing a meleemancer who will be pumping iron golem, golem mastery and maxing out corpse explosion. I intend to go with an A2 HF merc in Nightmare(provided I make it there). That leaves about 40 points for the curse tree.
Enough to max 2 curses or thoroughly develop three.
I'd like some good suggestions for which curses to focus on. I need one crowd control (dim vision, confuse or attract).

I'm inclined to pump decrepify a fair bit and probably dim vision, possibly confuse. Not sure attract is a good option with decrepify (see where I need help?)

The problem (and my guess, why it went unanswered,) is that you previously didn't post it as a question, and you were quite right with your layout.

You basically have the general layout, in that you know most of your skills.

From here, it's all about your personal style. Some people swear by dim vision, but I've never been in a situation where it was required, and I've never gone for it. Read the pat/mat/guard builds for others opinions, but it's down to your style. I wouldn't bother with my Necros (skelly and poison.)

Other than that, you've stated you want to get decrepify. Being a meleemancer (and having CE (contradictory IMO to melee) which does part physical damage,) Amp damage or decrepify (which reduces physical resistance) would be extremely handy. At lower levels, you'd have to cast it a lot, but the radius wouldn't remove Dim Vision from every monster in the area.

Just remember, the more curses you use, the more difficult it'll be. If you go Dim Vision, you'll need to remove that curse for Decrep to enhance your damage, so maybe you'd prefer a smaller radius.

Edit: Also, bear in mind that Hell monsters do pitiful damage compared to their hitpoints, so if you wondered if they could kill each other, it won't happen.

I've found Confuse to be unreliable (especially in Hell difficulty, for some reason). Monsters were horribly fixated on my IG, regardless of Confuse. And as Drystan says, Hell monsters are almost totally incapable of hurting each other, so don't expect them to kill themselves.

A meleemancer qualifies as a weaker build (in my book) requiring skilled gameplay and good crowd control. I'd definitely recommend DV, Decrepify and Attract as your best curses to put multiple points in. And make sure that your DV radius is a lot larger than your AmpDam radius, otherwise you'll nerf DV's effectiveness.

On the other hand, you may feel that offense is the best defense, in which case wide area AmpDam and CE are the way to go (but then you're a caster as much as a meleer).

Good luck!

Yeah, the idea is to use dim vision on a high level to keep the more distant mobs from noticing me, use terror on the batch coming toward me and decrepify the rest. But it's gonna take some serious curse juggling.. .then again, what else do you expect from a meleemancer?
Oh, btw, I am going with maxed out CE because it's a requirement in my tourney.

Oops, forgot about Terror, can be a real life-saver, but it's a one-point wonder with a few +skills. And yes, the Curse juggling can get quite manic at times!

CE will solve a lot of problems for you, especially corpse disposal when facing revivers (I found Attract to be very useful in this regard, with a particular necro who couldn't use CE).

There was once a question, 'Does anyone know the difference between High and Medium quality in the Lighting/Video options?'

I believe there was no answer, but I think I have found an answer!
High, High2
Medium.

High has a red glowing lighting around explosions. :D

Mod-question:

A friend of mine is trying to install RWM/RRM on his comp. We did succesfull edit the shortcut but still it wont work. His ATMA says it's an Insight but in the game it says only RalTirTalSol. Wre did we go wrong?

1. He packed up the zip-file from me (which contains both runewords) in his diablo folder
2. he added -direct -txt and /runewords in the shortcut.

Have I missed something?

Thanks

Edit: I dont live near so I cant help him, noly by Skype :p kinda difficult

Edit2: We know were we did go wrong now :)

Last edited:

Q1:
I got 6 x Jewels of Wrath, what should i do with them to make the best twink item possible?

Im thinking of putting them in a 6os Crystal Sword?

Q2:
Would it be worth the str req to equip Medusas Gaze on a Conviction Paladin wielding Gimmershred? Or will the lvl7 LR not add that much more damage?

Thanks in advance!

1: Jewels of wrath suck for high level, but for twinking any build that attacks fast with a weak weapon they'd do great in helm/armor (with low reqs!). Like a bowazon or DW barb.

2: -125 resistances with no +skills mean most mobs have most elements at -100 already which is max, however LR will add a little bit on top, at least for the 1 element they were immune too. I think it's too small to be worth using though, there are other shields that should add much better protection and/or better damage than this.

Q: Why do monsters really like attacking golems over other targets? Or maybe I'm just imagining things during my long time in D2?

I'm working on a Fire Druid right now, and I'm just curious what the best merc choice would be for him. He's only level 17, so I just want to know when I should be picking up my final merc for him. I was thinking Holy Freeze because it would make it easier to hit monsters with druid fire attacks and he could help against FI monsters. Any input would be great!

I'm working on a Fire Druid right now, and I'm just curious what the best merc choice would be for him. He's only level 17, so I just want to know when I should be picking up my final merc for him. I was thinking Holy Freeze because it would make it easier to hit monsters with druid fire attacks and he could help against FI monsters. Any input would be great!

Rarely is holy freeze a bad choice for mercs. An act 3 freezing one might be good too, as monsters wouldn't move at all while your fire attacks can pummel them. (bad choice if you're using molten bolder because I'm fairly certain they won't get knocked back.)

I know it's somewhere, but I'm short on time at the moment.

Can the explody doll exposions be blocked (or countered)?
Also, can FE (physical portion) be blocked/countered?
And the fire portion of FE can be reduced by the Druid's Cyclone armour?

I'm pretty sure I know the answers, but I would like confirmation. Somehow, I don't think Wind druid's were designed for HC. They hardly take a scratch, but when they do, it's from something very deadly.

I know it's somewhere, but I'm short on time at the moment.

Can the explody doll exposions be blocked (or countered)?
Also, can FE (physical portion) be blocked/countered?
And the fire portion of FE can be reduced by the Druid's Cyclone armour?

I'm pretty sure I know the answers, but I would like confirmation. Somehow, I don't think Wind druid's were designed for HC. They hardly take a scratch, but when they do, it's from something very deadly.

I know for sure, that explosion from dolls can be blocked. For other questions, I have no idea.

I know the FE can be completely avoided by the amazon, not sure if it's Dodge or Avoid though.

Cyclone armor should absorb the fire part of FE, while physical damage reduction will reduce the physical part.

I don't know about the exploding dolls, my solution is to let the merc/summon deal with them since they take no exploding damage. If you have several of those little buggers exploding all the block/reduction in the game will not save you. I suppose Bone armor should absorb some...

First of all, I hate to admit that I don't know almost nothing about Druid summons. Just learned the other that summons' synergies benefits from plus skills. But one thing crossed my mind:

Do druid summons have any resistance? Didn't find any information from AS (surprise :rolleyes:) so I'm leaning on you guys. Just for me to know, how I should suppose especially Grizzly to perform against elemental attackers.

Iron Golem - The skinny.

I am going to concentrate on this skill with my necromancer, but I find I know next to nothing about it. Lets some up my ignorance.

- If I chose a shield : Will FasterBlock/Chance to Block be factored in(doubt it)
- For any item, does durability count?
- For weapons, how is damage factored in?
- If I prebuff my golem? Does it count over the sessions?
- How do +life items affect the golem? +vitality?
- If I make a Golem out of a magic weapon with the fools mod on it, is the golem made with the stats of my own level? Will they change when I gain a level? Will they change over mutliple sessions?

- In general, is it wise to raise Golem mastery over Iron Golem itself as a skill? And should I make the golem out of armor or weapons? What mods should I look for?

Alright, hopefully there will be a somewhat easy fix to this problem, but here goes. My fire druid is up to act 4 in normal(just got to RoF) and he's getting destroyed, even on p1. The skills I'm using are Armageddon and Fissure (and Molten Boulder for single monsters). Armageddon is ripping everything apart, but I take heavy damage while using it since you have to constantly move and you need to be relatively close to the monsters. Fissure is losing its effectiveness for whatever reason too.

I think what's getting me the most are the OKs and the Venom Lord's fire attack. My resists are somewhat low because the build is seeming to be rather gear dependent(I need all the +skills I need and +mana per kill is a necessity). Would socketing a Moser's with 2 pGems be a good idea to try, or would that be a waste? I'm really at a loss for what to do right now. I've never had these kinds of problems here and I'm not a high enough level for some of the items/runewords that would be a huge help. Any suggestions would be great!

Status
Not open for further replies.
PurePremium
Estimated market value
Low
High