The PvP Thread

I think we will go for Sept 16-23. I will also try to get some games up in the second week for Tenecabo to join in.

Just enough to time for me to find 15% DR CoA in MFO and get my characters sorted for it between...

Gripp -

PVP is something I've considered for a long time, if anything for the novelty of it, but I have to be honest, I know absolutely nothing about it. Where could I start with some reading?

Hi. You can start by checking this thread as Nulio said. You can start by reading one of older pvp introduction guides.

http://www.purediablo.com/forums/threads/its-here-at-last-updated-pvp-guide.749882/

You can read everything if you care, but it is kinda outdated in some strategies. But you can definitely read FAQ. It is in lower half of whole guide. There most important questions are answered and you might get basic idea about what PvP is about.

To get help with choosing character or gear or if you need help planning your first pvp character, you can contact me on pm or ask in this thread and pvp-ers will try to help you. Even with the gear if needed since we had plenty of giveaways so far.

How I would start:
Write a list if you highest level characters. Most people have at least a sorc or paladin.
Write a list of your best gear. CtA, Enigma, Spirt Shields, Grief, DF etc. you actually don't need much here to build a Sorc, Trapper, Smiter or Hammerdin.
List your best skillers. Sorc Fire & Cold, Trap, PCombat especially.
List you best resist charms with life especially.

Post what you come up with and we can help :)

Tried no, considered yes. Some of us concluded it wouldn't be a good idea, depending on how serious tournament is. First of all, biggest problem is we don't have hosting server with great connection, but rather various players (Maxicek, Nulio) host the game... and ping is not exactly good. At least not to have any kind of semi-serious tournament on. We simply don't have good PvP host. Don't know was there before, but today to have 100 ping or less is a miracle, and 100 is borderline of good (or should I say decent).

Same reasons, we cannot combine players from all continents. Even though Americans are inactive on pvp scene, but potential player from America would be in great disadvantage when host is from Europe, and vice versa.

But let's say ping is not that relevant. Big problem is d2 is not PvP game, it is not designed for it. For d2 PvP to work, both players must put some cards into fair play department and aim to have fun. Going for any kind of serious win changes the gameplay completely. There are PvP tournaments going on on other forum and exactly everything predicted is happening. So, what is happening?

How would you win against bowazon? Find a house and stay behind wall perfectly safe from her and wait her to come into melee range. And if she do that, she is probably dead, but otherwise she can't hurt you. How to battle with trapper? Find a house, lay 5 traps in and wait for your opponent to come - if your opponent is not something like WW barb that will crush you in such conditions. How to win against necromancer? Stale him to death and wait till he is left with no mana. How to win with hammerdin? If low on hp, charge into other side of the map and replenish life slowly with prayer and stack hammers in case opponent is after you. Ok, that won't work here since we banned prayer.

But, you get idea. Serious pvp is rather frustrating, and players on that forum are full of accuses for other side for staling or running away or chickening or something similar. It only depends on how serious that tournament is. If there is some nice prize, you can expect PvP with a lot of stalling and similar nerdy strategies. If that tourney is not serious and is rather fun, then we basically have typical FFA with statistics.

Having everything in mind, no one bothered to host such tournament. Even if he did, chances are some of PvP players wouldn't participate cause they find it rather stupid.

Darkoooo started one (linked in first post) but the tournament died rather fast and had some issues. Ping made several duels unfair, I encountered some stalling also and it relied a bit on being lucky and managing to face easier match ups and having more duels. In my opinion of course.

It was cool to see old timers playing in it although.

If we'd manage to get a server up and running it'd help a lot. I checked prices for hosting and some guides but it was too technical for me.

I didn't have anything complicated in mind though which can still work with the current available way to play.

Supposing there are 16 participants.

Untitled-1_zpseuoivxvc.jpg~original

Someone neutral could host a game.
The first two players join the room and battle.
The format could be lets say best of 5 meaning that the players will battle 5 times.
The player that manages to win moves to the next round until we reach the finals.

With proper restrictions and rules this can conclude to something really entertaining.

The thing about neutral host is that it doesn't mean both will have same ping conditions :(

If we had a "network" of hosts it could be done maybe. Then for each duel they would try several hosts and pick the most acceptable one that would have similar ping for both.

Well ping depends on both host and on joining. If we could get this project of dedicated host underway I don't see reason not to have small tourney to celebrate host opening. But that idea has been around for long and it was just never realized. It's hard to be optimistic about it at this point.

I think D2 PvP can be a bit paper-scissors-stone. Loosing to a Windy, bring a trapper. Loosing to trapper, bring a BvC. Losing to BvC, bring a hammerdin...

Also 16 players is optimistic! - more like 8 I think, makes a short tournament.

If I'm wearing Fortitude, what Wisp can I wear with it?

Absorb:
10. Maximum resists are capped at 85 without any absorb.
11. 75 resists + 20% absorb is allowed, 80 resists + 12% sorb is allowed.

I'm not sure is this understandable enough. This 11-th rule can be like this:
11. 75 resists + maximum of 20% absorb is allowed, 80 resists (like when wearing Fortitude) + maximum of 12% sorb is allowed.

So, with Fortitude you can use 10-11-12% sorb wisp.

Man, from meta point of view, this will be really, really bad pvp week for LS trappers. At least comparing to previous pvp weeks.

Oops didn't re-read before I asked....

Now I need a 12 Wisp, all mine are 18/19 I think.

@maxicek Thanks, appreciated, can't wait to finally have a semidecent pvper to bring :). Too bad for my char that I'm lacking the skills to play him properly :p. But getting more pvp experience is definitely one of the reasons I want to spar!

PurePremium
Estimated market value
Low
High