The PvP Thread

Re: The PvP Thread

<Isuxbigtime2>video done
<Isuxbigtime2>video shows: me massacred you
<Isuxbigtime2>reality: you massacred me
<Isuxbigtime2>ftw etc

Gripp being Gripp, I think it was 50/50. Not bad for my lame playing. I did notice when SM was down but I didn't risk going on offensive since most of the times that I fireball'ed you close distance WB owned me. OP nerf, etc.

20 points on TK for trying soft ES from memory with base energy failed. So she'll have stronger Hydra next duels, maybe that would help the sorc in some situations.

I am so angry of myself I did not checked SPf yesterday :(

can I ask you guys for little favour next time you will play PvP?

I will give you a guide how to contact me for 100%, but it will take you like a 45 seconds more of your time :)

my mobile phone number is 605927588, if you will go for this page
http://sms.t-mobile.cz/open.jsp?lang=cs (should work from each country)
you can write me SMS via internet, it is completely for free, you only need to write number to first field, text to another (it is enough to write me PvP, time and forum name ) and last field below you need to only write text to authentization
if you will write me few hours ago and I will be free on evening I will came on 100%, let me know if someone could do it, thanks a lot

Well, too bad that my host was not good. Will try to do something about it but I don't see what I could do to make it better except connecting PC to router directly and not using wireless. Doubt it would help much anyway, but if I could host I'm sure we could have more frequent games up.
Curious for mir and face, how was my host comparing to average host, col's host etc? I mean, no point in hosting if others can't play...

Nice vid you two.

Even though we are only 60 km apart, your host was pretty much same as Col's host. I think Mir or Face said that your host was the same as Col's host ping-wise. Perhaps it was isolated incident and next time will be better, it wasn't like that when we played earlier that day. Anyway, if people feel that your host is similar to other hosts, like Colony's for example, then you can host normally.

It will be great if we can find good host. Max is the only decent host we got right now, and he is playing rather rarely. Nulio's host was good for me before, maybe there we can find host sometimes? When I joined FoE's host via hamachi, it was brilliant. Don't know can FoE host pvp here and there, but from what I saw he can be very decent host. That's it from what I know. Having average hosts is better than having no hosts at all in any case. Ping of 200-400 is something players are kinda used to by now anyway.

Well, too bad that my host was not good. Will try to do something about it but I don't see what I could do to make it better except connecting PC to router directly and not using wireless. Doubt it would help much anyway, but if I could host I'm sure we could have more frequent games up.
Curious for mir and face, how was my host comparing to average host, col's host etc? I mean, no point in hosting if others can't play...

Nice vid you two.

In our games Face hosting so I'm used to ping of ~250. The problem was the frequent lag spikes, I'm fine with spikes up to 500 but when it goes up to 1k-2k+ it's impossible to duel. Col's host was same as yours (200-400) but more stable.

I have a little question, how is looking rule with ban of clay golem? I am leveling my new PvP necro and I would like to have clear idea how to build it
and I suppose that recasting bone and cyclone armor is not allowed as we wrote in some posts
thanks for response

Nec can recast bone armor, but he cannot use clay golem. Nec players all over place have kinda agreed on this.
Only build that is directly affected by this change are bowazons. Chargers don't care about recasting BA since they OHKO, Barbs can use Berserk, especially now that golem slow is out, and ghost still have OW and Venom to bypass it. Smiters might be a bit screwed but smiting golem makes both your charge and smite much worse, to at worse it's tradeoff. Same for bowazons.

Cyclone armor on the other hand is banned because it's too much of a hard counter to many builds where they simply cannot hurt him at all. It was either allow recasting or ban it, so we decided to ban it as it's far too imbalanced (17-0 windy vs trapper and similar crap).

That being said, anyone up for some pvp this weekend? I can host if no one else can and there's still interest. It's not best host ever so it would be preferred if someone can do it to lessen ping issues for everyone else.

If you ask is nec playable without clay golem, answer is he is perfectly playable, just like before.

Wait, CA is completely banned? It can't be cast only once before a duel?

That's something I didn't know as well. I thought it was agreement that recasting CA is too strong, not that CA cast once is too strong cause it's not. I mean if we must choose between recasting CA and banning it completely, then I choose recasting CA, even if it means what it means. What is problem in allowing to recast bone armor and not allowing to recast CA, but to allow to be cast once at the start of the duel as it was till now?

OK, thanks for declaration
about CA I suppose it is allowed but recasting is banned
btw. is necesary to have some golem at all? will be good even without him?
and according to PvP this week-end, today probably only chance is from midnight, earlier unfortunatelly no chance for me, tomorrow from 9 PM should be no problem for me, I should be ready in that time

With the non-existing improvements on my host after my ISP upgrading I was talking with Gripp and we had an idea.

What about some of us jumping in and rent a dedicated host for PvP?
I'm assuming many things but I'd say a VPS would allow having a D2 host 24/7.

Before I start researching stuff, do any of you have experience with VPS? Or just running D2 in virtual machines?

Because I already have many questions:
- VPS allow what kind of OS?
- D2 runs in linux in a flawless manner?
- Does anybody has a spare d2 license?
etc

Assuming something like 1GB memory, 20GB disk space, 2cpu threads, dedicated IP, 2000GB(out) and unlimited(in) is more than enough for this it would be really cheap. Only costs 20$ a month, which is nothing if we chip this by 10 of us.

Maybe even having it stream some of the duels.

I do not know what how this works but if it is only question of money, no problem for me because I would like to play when there are players around and apetite for game

few problem is that I have Windows XP which are not suppoerted anymore so I do not know how it will works
I suppose that VPS is some client you need to install to have computer to connect to that dedicated host, am I right?

and will be game which is up 24/7 still good with ping to join?
but about technical problem I will ask some more PC educated persons :)

edit: OK, I just spoke with IT guy which is working here in laboratory, he said that VPS should work under all OS, he also said me that hamachi network is much more easier to set then this, e.g. my connection from collegue is great, I have very quick network over there, only problem I can not host is that I have not public IP so I can not host via TCP/IP directly
I do not actually know which is problem with hamachi that we are not using it because I remember that some years ago I played baals with some players here via hamachi and if will work on my XP because last time I had problem with it
but still I do not understand which computer you want to use as hosting one, if it is some unknown computer somewhere where you will pay or if it is computer in some company you have access to it and have good network

Last edited:

I usually don't use hamachi because I remember in the past either with someone hosting or me hosting the ping was worse with hamachi than with via TCP/IP. But it could have been just a coincidence at the time.
These days I don't use it because I have problems with hamachi, I can't host with it iirc and sometimes it doesn't even start (like now, even doing it manually in the services. I'll have to reboot and hope that it works).
But FoE hosted via hamachi some weeks ago and Gripp says it was awesome.

We can try seeing how good is your host via hamachi.

But one of the ideas was having a host 24/7 in order to everyone being able to play when they want. The better hosts aren't always around and the rest of hosts makes some matchups really impossible.

About hosting quality, we would try it for one month to see how good the ping was, but I assume it must be awesome. The data centers have awesome connections.

I have almost exclusively played HC MP via hamachi and problems with ping is pretty rare - have only occurred with people far away with sub-par connections IIRC.

I guess I'll draw the first blood with pvp table since you guys are so quiet.

First, some info about table. Table was initially constructed by Frozzzen, then Nulio made improved version in excel and spread around to several players. I filled first Froz table long time ago, now rechecked some things and table is finally ready to be shown.

What do numbers mean:
9 - No point in going after it, just find target and not chewing toy.
8 - Can be lost only with multiple mistakes and consistent poor play.
7 - Easy duel where you only need to play your cards right.
6 - You have upper hand but by a small margain.
5 - 50 - 50 match.
4 - Evenish duel but constand uphill battle in a way.
3 - Difficult duel with fairly small chance to win but doable.
2 - There's chance but only if opponent messes up bady.
1 - Just unhostile...

Generally, the lower the number, the harder the match for certain build.

Build comment:
Paladin Smite: I took into consideration paladin with Enigma and smite+charge combo with Grief weapon
Paladin Smite/FoH(+Charge): paladin with Enigma, strong smite, decent foh and decent charge damage
Paladin Charger: paladin with maxed charge and strong smite, can use both weapon/shield and dual hand setup. Here one can assume player to use only dualhander pure charger, but I found that meh and thought players would rather make something that actually can perform decent in pvp. If we exclude smite and shield option, points for this build will be much different than in table, with much lower final result.
ES sorcs: 95 ES prebuffed with memory stick

When estimating how difficult match is, I took into consideration these things:
1.) I assumed matches are played on ~100-200 ping what is normal for SPF standards, which means certain builds are in ping disadvantage over some other builds. Situation is real and I thing it should not be ignored. In ideal conditions certain matches are ofc different in winning chances.
2.) I took into consideration SPF characters that represent certain build as well as some average character that can easily be built. If there is only single good SPF char for some build, like Joanna for rabies druid, which is either abnormally above average or below average strong, then I took into consideration only some hypothetic average build which can be built for that build.
3.) I considered situation when players of same skill play against each other, and who know all important basics about the build they are playing. This means, for example, that I ignored the situation where player plays paladin against trapper, and he don't know that he can charge out of stunlock so he stands there being stunned and taking damage for no reason.
4.) I estimated matchup difficulty based on my own experience and on what I read if my experience is not sufficient. For some builds I estimated how they would be played if I have experience playing similar character to that. For some builds I don't have playing experience with or against, then I just assumed outcome of the match based on similar characters to that (aka FC druid is somewhat similar to wolfbarb etc).

2whfe5y.jpg

Final results:

1. Fireball (ES) 223
2. Fireball 213
3. Bonenec (block) 205
4. Bonenec (vita) 200
5. c/c trapper 199
6. Windy (block) 196
6. WW/trap sin 196
8. Poisonnec 192
9. Blizzard 187
9. Smite/FoH 187
11. Light (ES) 184
12. w/s trapper 183
13. Hammer/FoH 178
14. Windy (vita) 177
15. Smiter 173
16. Charger 171
17. Ghost 166
18. Orb (ES) 163
19. Smite/Hammer 162
20. Hammerdin 155
21. BvC 150
22. BvA 147
23. LF/CS 143
24. Bowazon 142
25. Rabies 136
25. Orb sorc 136
27. Kicker 123
28. PJ/CS/Bow 118
29. Fire druid 105
30. Wolfbarb 82
31. Fuzzydodger 71
32. Fireclaw 63

Feel free to comment, ask, whatever. Those results shows what builds I consider to be best and worst from table, however those results exclude players skill from comparison. If someone with slow reflexes and in lazymod plays fireball sorc, he might die to fireclaw druid no problem for example. If we include various playing skills, those points might change drastically. Also, ping can totally change strengths as well. On bad host you will find any bowa to be extremely difficult to beat, no matter how badly built bowa really is. All sorceresses are dark horses. It all depends on how players are playing them. If sorc is really pay attention, has ok ping, has good reflexes, you might find even Orb sorc hard to beat, let alone beating any other sorcs. And, in the end, it depends a lot what character are you facing. You might beat average SPF bowazon easily, and then Penthesilea - nuliobowa - arriwe and she might wipe floor with you. Many things can change outcome of the match and winning chances, but generally this is it.

Also, I surely estimated wrong some outcome of the match here and there, I miss experience with playing and dueling certain builds and I might guessed completely wrong. That's why comment if you want. Now, show us your results when you finish the table!

Dude I hate you. You used pic of ugly excel, not of the pretty nulio excel (which is easier to use). I'm not your friend anymore! :p

PurePremium
Estimated market value
Low
High