The Prime Evils walk the earth! Official Diablo 2 Themed Mafia Signup Thread!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: The Prime Evils walk the earth! Official Diablo 2 Themed Mafia Signup Thread!!

This is Gorny posting on behalf of BoD Trader. BoD Trader would like to play also.

Re: The Prime Evils walk the earth! Official Diablo 2 Themed Mafia Signup Thread!!

Mar, this may be pointless info for you as you might already know, but I want to just share my mistake in my first hosted game (about a month ago).

I got a PM from the mafia asking me to kill noodle. I replied and said "noodle is dead, he was the busdriver". The LAST second of the day the doctor chimed in and said "I choose to protect noodle tonight" DOH. Also, the 2nd night I had a similiar mistake with a busdriver role. Wicked was a cop and asked for a persons role. I pmed him the response. then the busdriver switched that person and I had to send wicked another PM being like "i made a mistake.." luckily wicked was nked haha.

BOTTOM LINE: Make sure you get all the activity that could affect an outcome before you reveal roles or alignments. again, couldbe common sense, and I defintely messed it up by being a little over anxious. Just my two cents.

Got it, results won't be revealed until every action is factored in.

I really appreciate the help you guys, and it seems the ball is rolling faster as more people sign up :D

Mar, this may be pointless info for you as you might already know, but I want to just share my mistake in my first hosted game (about a month ago).

I got a PM from the mafia asking me to kill noodle. I replied and said "noodle is dead, he was the busdriver". The LAST second of the day the doctor chimed in and said "I choose to protect noodle tonight" DOH. Also, the 2nd night I had a similiar mistake with a busdriver role. Wicked was a cop and asked for a persons role. I pmed him the response. then the busdriver switched that person and I had to send wicked another PM being like "i made a mistake.." luckily wicked was nked haha.

BOTTOM LINE: Make sure you get all the activity that could affect an outcome before you reveal roles or alignments. again, couldbe common sense, and I defintely messed it up by being a little over anxious. Just my two cents.

Same thing happened to me with TC and his NK's...dam bus driver screwed things up.

Asrrin got NK's the second to last night if I recall right and I did not reveal the role. TC pms me for the role and I give it to him. The the bus driver switches Noodle and Asrrin. Noodle dies and because I slipped and tole TC Asrrin's role, TC knew the roles of both Asrrin and Noodle. Screwed up my death scene too.

Do wait until the very end of the night to reveal roles and another point of advice: DO NOT reveal what might happen or if rules will change if so and so is targeted as an NK. TC asked me if the rules would change if he killed Spinns in the last night and if Spinns targeted him later. In truth they would have both died but I could not say so. My response was "The roles as determined and given at game start will decide what happens in the night" TC then targetted Asrrin. I would go one step further and not allow questions like that. For NK's and other things at night, people have to send in a name and live with the result...or you end up with a botched or imbalanced game...and a endgame that is difficult for you to mod.

I might suggest not answering pm`s of such nature that Gorny mentioned.
Now stop rubbing it in Gorny :)

I think every action should go through, no matter what time it's sent. Timezones make it unfair otherwise. An example of what I mean as a working system:

A = SK
B = Mafia
C = Doc
D = Innocent townie

10 pm: A wants to kill D.
2 am: B wants to kill C.
5 minutes before the night ends: C wants to protect D.

the outcome: C dies, D is protected by the doctor.

Also, if 2 killers target each other, they should both die, flavored by some awesome storytelling from the game moderator :)

I don't think anyone minds a few minutes of extra delay between the official night ending time and the post by the game moderator so he can make sure everything goes through.

That is the most fair way to determine things. Mafiascum recommends that all actions be simultaneous, and the only time things can get hairy is when there is a roleblocker in play. In these situations, I have no idea.

Roleblockers can be fun too.

Like Wickedswami last game, not only was he the Doc, but he also roleblocked whoever he protected at night. First night he protects himself...meaning if he was targetted for an NK...he would have been dead.

As a cop, I really should have investigated myself first. Knowing what I do about myself, it would be the only prudent course of action.

As a cop, I really should have investigated myself first. Knowing what I do about myself, it would be the only prudent course of action.

I'm not sure if that would have worked. In a normal game, maybe. But in our SG variant ...I don't know how I would have handled that one.

Also, the 2nd night I had a similiar mistake with a busdriver role. Wicked was a cop and asked for a persons role. I pmed him the response. then the busdriver switched that person and I had to send wicked another PM being like "i made a mistake.." luckily wicked was nked haha.

I was too confused with my readings (being an insane cop and all..) that this part didn't even really bother me. I had considered it though, but then I was dead anway (grr)

the suspense of this game already is throbbing. i cant wait for my first forum mafia. haha

Awww don't say that! Now I have to live up to the hype :p

Yes, I can't wait to start.

Awww don't say that! Now I have to live up to the hype :p

Well, in all reality, there is a good chance im going to get confused halfway through the first night, so I wouldn't worry about it too much, haha.

BTW I was pilfering through the thread, but didn't find anyting...did you decide on what rolls are going to be included and how many people are allowed to enter, etc?

I have the power roles all planned out, but currently I don't have a cap on how many players want to join. If the scope of this game gets to be too overwhelming I might have to accomodate and make a new faction or something lol.

EDIT (Because I can): check out the last mafia game we played recently. It should definitely help you out as how the game environment is. I'll have a link up in a sec....

http://www.purediablo.com/forums/showthread.php?t=729742

This should give you an idea of what to expect.

the cool thing about the game,sdbramwell is that no one knows what roles are exactly involved. Having to figure that out is part of the game.

Some basic stuff howere are:
townie
mafia
cop
doc
serial killer (not always present, but it is on many occasions)
for other stuff, read the wiki

One can usually bet on there being atleast a cop and a doc, with us playing mafia this is usually a standard thing. However...

said Cop and Doc roles might be some kind of variant to add spice to the mix.

Yeah i did read the links that Gorny posted (after asking where the were, oops). Im pretty sure I scrounged that forum dry. I was highly amused by such roles as Paranoid Gun Owner, Army Veteran, Arsonist/Firefighter, Mad Scientist, and Politician. The roles in mafia seemed to correlate to real life rather well...

Just a quick update, the backstory is coming along very nice. I'm doing a bit of research to make it as fun as possible, and I hope everyone enjoys themselves :D.

A quick tip to the new guys playing: While people may say things in this game that might seem mean, pointed and take your posts way out of context, it's all in good fun and you shouldn't take any of it personally.

Status
Not open for further replies.
PurePremium
Estimated market value
Low
High