The Enchantress Tournament

Diablo is dead. I turned down to /players 3 before opening the last seal. With two Coral rings, Sigon´s belt and rare boots with fire/lightning resist and FHR, Phiona had maxed fire/lightning resists. Blocking was 68% in this fight. I usually keep it at 70% with this type of shield because that translates to 75% blocking with a +20% Tower Shield (Rhyme Tower Shield is nearly always my endgame plan) but the latest level-up points all went to STR in order to be strong enough for the belt.

The most dangerous moments in the fight happened after cold-hand smackage followed by Lightning Inferno. Got down to about 1/3 life once. After a while I changed potions setup. I switched out one column of full purples for thawing potions. Now Diablo couldn´t keep Phiona chilled for long. Ilzan died twice in the fight, but most of the time Phiona could divert D´s attention away from Ilzan. Phiona could take the Firestorm damage without problems, so she made sure to position herself so those flames didn´t hurt Ilzan.

Slightly disappointing HF drop: Eth rune and no topazes. The Perfect Sapphire wansn´t that bad, because now I can upgrade a rare weapon if I find an Amn rune.

Our weapons:
'Steel' Flail and rare Throwing Axes with PMH (Phiona)
+71%/+2 Savage Halberd of Worth (Ilzan the Prayer merc)

Total MF: +321% for Ilzan´s kills, +249% otherwise (but only +203% when Ilzan killed Diablo. Safety reasons...)

Phiona, level 35, Bloody Foothills next

Quickdeath, I have an Enchantress I started the other day who fits within the rules of this tourney. Can she join in, or would I need to make a brand-new character after announcing intention to join? She is L15, HC, running under the rules of the Obsession tourney but not a participant in that one. (I had the idea for her and had asked a few questions about the idea in the tourney thread, and went ahead & started her before getting the answers but she got far enough before I formally entered that I didn't feel right about using her in it. And I'm attached to her, so I decided not to delete her when I started the differently-obsessed character.)

I won't be hurt if the answer is no, just figured I'd ask :cool:

Quickdeath, I have an Enchantress I started the other day who fits within the rules of this tourney. Can she join in, or would I need to make a brand-new character after announcing intention to join? She is L15, HC, running under the rules of the Obsession tourney but not a participant in that one. (I had the idea for her and had asked a few questions about the idea in the tourney thread, and went ahead & started her before getting the answers but she got far enough before I formally entered that I didn't feel right about using her in it. And I'm attached to her, so I decided not to delete her when I started the differently-obsessed character.)

I won't be hurt if the answer is no, just figured I'd ask :cool:

If your enchantress fits within the rules of this tourney, and was started after this tourney started (and is only L15!) then I see no problem in entering her.

Great, thanks, Quickdeath! I'll add myself to the table.

Greg is L15, using a Vicious Scimitar of Shock as her melee weapon and on switch, a Jagged Short Bow of Shock. Using the Obsession tourney rules, she may only equip items having the words Lightning, Enchant, or Vitality in their descriptions. HC, 1.11b, vanilla. She has the Dark Wood WP and has rescued Cain.

Code:
Forumname        Charname           Current Weapon       Lvl   Waypoint

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
atigdng          Summer             Lawbringer (Phase)   83    Hell Arcane Sanctuary
Bladejj          Ms_Enchantress     Kuko Shakaku(shael)  82    (RIP) Hell Palace Cellar
Aerwynd          Flare              Hellplague           69    (RIP) Lister & Co.
Shadow Druid     Inara              Hellplague           63    (RIP) NM River of Flame
Wolron           Olga               Gemmed Double Bow    62    (RIP) NM Tranvincal
Cygnus           Circe              Bow/Jade Tan Do      60    (RIP) NM Diablo
Moar             Eirin              Hellplague           58    NM Pandemonium Fortress
Tartanasia       Charizard          lleaf/zephyer        53    (RIP) NM Act 3 Lower Kursat
FoghornLeghorn   FearlessFemme      Blood Crescent       53    NM Sewers 2
enithsmith       Paksennarion       Baezil's Vortex      52    (RIP) NM Kurast Bazaar
janmaxim         Justine-II         Gemmed Scimitar      52    NM Stony Field
Niyougegema      Flame              Scimitar Of Quickness49    (RIP) NM Black Marsh
Tartanasia       Charizard          lleaf/zephyer        46    NM Act 2
Docturnal        Mme_Zur            Rare Chu-Ko-Nu       45    (RIP) NM Cold plains
synax            Jolly              steel/ravenclaw      37    a5 Pindle
Tasdaz           Hot_Pants          Long Bow             31    (RIP) - Infector Of Souls
waflob           Stevie_Nicks       Gemmed bow           31    Pandemonium Fortress
Yiuman           Willow             fists                31    (RIP) Chaos Sanctuary 
Gaz              Chanty             Rare bal knife       30    (RIP) Chaos Sanctuary 
PetePizza        HotHotHeat         Sander's Wand        28    (RIP) Crystal Passage
Barren           MissFireStarter    Sander's wand        27    Pandemonium Fortress
Morathi          Mory               'Steel' Large Axe    27    (RIP) Flayer Jungle
jiansonz         Phiona             "Steel" Flail        28    Kurast Docks
Chymaera         Faile              Horadric Staff       25    Canyon of the Magi
Quickdeath       Macho_Lady         Morning Star         25    (RIP) Canyon-Magi
Naab             Fierysorc          TalTalTal Long bow   25    AS(RIP)
tweety           Phurby             Steel Battle Axe     24    Arcane Sanctuary
Freekje          Energetica         Rare Throw. knife    24    (RIP)
lpblasch         Tressy             2os scepter          23    (RIP) Spider Forest
Tartanasia       Charizard          2xtal chip saph bow  22    far oasis 
Skunkbelly       Skunkflame         2xTal long bow       21    Dry Hills
Dornak           Flame_Bait         'Steel' Large axe    20    Lut Gholein
ThaCheeZe        ChopChopBaby       'Steel' 2-hsword     19    Lut Gholein
AndiDi           FlamingLips        'Steel' Large Axe    19    Inner Cloister
skoolbus         Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhh    Crystal Sword        16    (RIP) Barracks
Yiuman           Wilow              'Steel' Large Axe    15    Outer Cloister
EmperorMoo       MissFlamey         Gemmed Bardiche      15    Outer Cloister
Cattleya         Candice            Scythe of the Leech  15    Black Marsh
TrubbaNot        Greg               Magic Scimitar       15    Dark Wood
IronCrown        BloodGeon          Broad Axe            14    (RIP)Black Marsh
Seein2Stars      TP-Sorcme          Gemmed Long Bow      12    (RIP)Stony Field
Smilts           FuryStrike         Gale Pale Bardiche    8    burial grounds
NacRuno          Rapidash           Gemmed Axe            6    Cold Plains 
DuesNox          Blzing-Sddls       Short Staff           1    Rogue Encampment
ZeN                  ?              Short Staff           1    Rogue Encampment
Eudoxos          Fireclaw           Short Staff           1    Rogue Encampment
nubikoen         XXXXXX             Short Staff           1    Rogue Encampment

Life is good for Phiona and Ilzan. Maxed Enchant, heavily pumped Fire Mastery and graduation to a Savage Partizan makes Ilzan even more overpowering than before. I´ll enjoy the simple life while it lasts...

Recent cool finds:

* 30/35 Jade Greaves of Luck, sold by Anya
* Artisan´s Great Helm of Balance, sold by Larzuk. I nearly alwyas start to look for two Artisan´s Great Helms at Larzuk´s once my character reaches level 39. He gets a visit every time I sell stuff (which is about every 2-3 minutes...). It´s nice when that helm has 1). a suffix at all and 2). a really good one. Phiona has 2 PTopazes in this helm so far. I need 2 more flawless topazes (or a gem shrine) to fill the third socket.
* Ethereal Bloodthief, found on Frozen Tundra. If I can upgrade this, it will beat Ilzan´s current weapon. Maybe not for damage per hit, but it will be close, plus it´s much faster and with Open Wounds and life steal.
* 36% Fortuitous Amulet of Fortune (gambled)
* SHAEL rune on frozen Tundra. That´s the first rune above Ort Phiona has seen. What a boon! So now Phiona has an awesome 'Rhyme' Bone Shield. She has 70% block and very high resists, and that is without any kind of compromise when it comes to MF. Sweet!

Phiona, level 44, Nihlathak´s Temple next

Code:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
atigdng          Summer             Lawbringer (Phase)   83    Hell Arcane Sanctuary
Bladejj          Ms_Enchantress     Kuko Shakaku(shael)  82    (RIP) Hell Palace Cellar
Aerwynd          Flare              Hellplague           69    (RIP) Lister & Co.
Shadow Druid     Inara              Hellplague           63    (RIP) NM River of Flame
Wolron           Olga               Gemmed Double Bow    62    (RIP) NM Tranvincal
Moar             Eirin              Hellplague           58    NM Pandemonium Fortress
Tartanasia       Charizard          Leaf/Zephyr          53    (RIP) NM Act 3 Lower Kursat
enithsmith       Paksennarion       Baezil's Vortex      52    (RIP) NM Kurast Bazaar
Niyougegema      Flame              Scimitar Of Quickness49    (RIP) NM Black Marsh
jiansonz         Phiona             "Steel" Flail        49    Cold Plains NM
Tartanasia       Charizard          Leaf/Zephyr          46    NM Act 2
Docturnal        Mme_Zur            Rare Chu-Ko-Nu       45    (RIP) NM Cold plains
Tasdaz           Hot_Pants          Long Bow             31    (RIP) - Infector Of Souls
waflob           Stevie_Nicks       Gemmed bow           31    Pandemonium Fortress
Yiuman           Willow             fists                31    (RIP) Chaos Sanctuary 
Gaz              Chanty             Rare bal knife       30    (RIP) Chaos Sanctuary 
PetePizza        HotHotHeat         Sander's Wand        28    (RIP) Crystal Passage
Barren           MissFireStarter    Sander's wand        27    Pandemonium Fortress
Morathi          Mory               'Steel' Large Axe    27    (RIP) Flayer Jungle

Chymaera         Faile              Horadric Staff       25    Canyon of the Magi
Quickdeath       Macho_Lady         Morning Star         25    (RIP) Canyon-Magi
lpblasch         Tressy             2os scepter          23    (RIP) Spider Forest
Tartanasia       Charizard          2xtal chip saph bow  22    far oasis 

Phiona is now in 5th place among the living. :sunny: The rest of Normal was very easy (can´t remember ever pwning the Ancients this hard!). About the only times Ilzan needed potions was against Baal and against a Fanaticism Moon Lord pack (found in an Evil Urn in Ancients´Way).

I got frustrated in WSK level 2, because I could only kill about 15% of the Frenzied Ice Spawns before they exploded by themselves. My mana didn´t allow for many teleports, and sometimes they survived 3 throwing axe hits (they aren´t chosen for fast killing...). Have you people done it better? And those that did, had any of you a ranged merc?

Some nice finds in the cow level:
* 2-socketed Tower Shield
* Sol rune. This meant I could do the Bloodthief upgrade I wrote about last update. It works really well in NM so far. However, we haven´t been up against ranged attackers yet. I wonder how well we will do against Coldcrow´s pack, etc...

[Highlight]Destroyer Phiona, level 49, NM Cold Plains next[/Highlight]

Code:

Tartanasia       Charizard          Leaf/Zephyr          53    (RIP) NM Act 3 Lower Kursat

good luck jiansonz, you seem to be one of the only major upaters. Im just gonna tidy the table my chararcters on it like a gizzillion times!!!

Minor update... nothing too major.

Code:

Skunkbelly       Skunkflame         2xTal long bow       22    Far Oasis

did a bit more with her today. Found a useful weapon, which was better than the big secky axe she was using. Also found hsarus belt to go with the boots, so I've also got some half decent AR now.

DelBoy

Code:

waflob           Stevie_Nicks       Hellplague           45    WSK 2

Just the tiniest little update. Greg ran from the Dark Wood WP over to the Tower and crept down, down, downward. She mainly used her magic lightning-damage short bow and the shift key to pick off those nasty archers from off-screen. Having no IAS whatsoever, she plinks away with painful slowness, but she stays very safe. She didn't even catch a glimpse of the Countess, just the bright flashes of hits into the chamber -- the clinking of coins signaled the demise of the enemy. She was kind enough to drop a Nef, which may go into a bow for knockback if Greg doesn't find anything more interesting (she has a chipped topaz to insert to make it usable), and a magic Large Axe which alas had no lightning properties. Several Large Axes presented themselves along the way, one with 3 OS which she is saving for the day she attains sufficient strength to wield it. With one point per level, this may be around L40 :laughing: She now has mad Warmth and no skills for it to benefit. Yet. She gained a level, but had to stop before exploring the Marsh to add the WP.

Code:

TrubbaNot        Greg               Magic Scimitar       16    Dark Wood

Neat! Never played an enchantress before. I plan to start tomorrow.

Code:

wakiki           Cercei             Short Staff           1    Rogue Encampment

Cercei is level 15, having just rescued Cain and cleared the Dark Wood. She's clearing every area once, on players 8, no reruns. (After reading some of Jiasonz stories, I had to try it:wink3:)

She hasn't found any sets or uniques, but has found a ton of crappy rares. She's currently using rare gloves, boots, sash, leather armor, cap, and amulet. Cercei was originally going to use a large axe, but just after she attained the 35 strength, she found a +4 strength Grand Charm with no requirements. This inspired her to go for a Broad Axe, which has been gemmed and deals 23-41 damage.

On her weapon switch she is using a set of Javelins and a small shield of blocking. She hasn't had a need for them yet though.

Unfortunately, Cercei has found no topazes.:cry: She has 9 MF (from a ring) and over 92,000 gold.

She has generally barreled over every enemy in one or two hits, and hasn't had any NDE's yet. Her health dropped to half against two archer packs in the Cave level 1 (one of them Coldcrow and another one Extra Strong). However, she was in control of the situation, with red potions already used and purples ready.

[/update mode]

Hey guys, I have a question. At what level is it possible to gamble the luck suffix on boots and gloves, and at what level can you gamble the 40% resist prefixes such as sapphire?

Code:

wakiki           Cercei             Gemmed Broad Axe     15    Dark Wood

Hey guys, I have a question. At what level is it possible to gamble the luck suffix on boots and gloves, and at what level can you gamble the 40% resist prefixes such as sapphire?

Gloves can not get what you ask for, so I included the next best thing. :azn:

When you gamble boots and gloves in Normal, you should stick with the lowliest types (Boots and Leather Gloves) because they can get the good stuff earlier than other types. They are also the cheapest to gamble (at least some time into Nightmare) so that works for me. :laugh:

MF
If we start with the lower 'of Fortune' suffix, it is alvl 16. That means that the lowliest type of gloves (Leather Gloves) need to be at least ilvl 17 to support it. So possible to gamble at clvl 13, but more resonably practical around level 17. You can also buy magical 'of Fortune' gloves in act 2 (up to Heavy Gloves).

For Boots (the lowliest item type), 'of Fortune' works exactly the same as for Leather Gloves.

Magical boots can get 'of Luck', which is alvl 26. Gambled Boots (lowliest type) can possibly get it when you gamble with a lvl 23 character (reasonably practical at clvl 27+, best chance from clvl 32+)

Resists
Again, I start with the lower Cobalt/Coral/Garnet (21-30%). Possible to gamble on Leather Gloves and Boots at clvl 15, reasonably practical at clvl 19, best chance from clvl 24+). Can be bought from act 2 vendors as well (but only on Boots and Leather Gloves).

Magical (not rare or crafted) boots can also get the awesome Amber/Ruby/Sapphire. With Boots, it´s possible to gamble from clvl 23, reasonably practical from clvl 27, best chance at clvl 32+.

Incidently, 'of Haste' (+20% Faster Run), is only alvl 22, so if you gamble for the best MF/resist gloves, you can also get that. 30% Faster run has much higher alvl (late thirties, I think)

A few words about Circlets, too. They can show up on the gambling screen first at clvl 20. Already by then, they can get all the stuff above, and much more!

Thanks jiansonz!

Interesting deal about the mx MF on gloves. I had always thought that they could get 35%, but that I just had gotten unlucky and not gambled any yet! lol.

Cercei gambled some 25% MF gloves and 23% MF boots once she got to level 19 (beginning of Act II). She also finally found some topazes, so she made a 3 chipped topaz ring mail plate and a 2 chipped topaz helm. She made a silly mistake and put two topazes in a Studded Leather before realizing that she could buy 3s Ring Mails, but she put the Studded Leather on her merc, so it wasn't a complete waste. A little before she acquired that MF, she found her first set item, an Infernal Cap. Soon after that, she found the Arctic Furs. I have used neither of these, preferring to stick with my gemmed armors, but I did temporarily stick them on my mercenary.

Andariel went down incredibly easily. Cercei's life never dropped below half, and her Rogue mercenary even survived! I hadn't made the Steel runeword yet, either, so she had no shield. Andariel dropped nothing of worth, as usual, and the gem was a Ruby.

Her first unique item was a Crushflange, found somewhere early in Act II. She was very excited about this, and planned to use it on Duriel. She also found Cathan's Armor, which she probably will never use. Act II was a breeze until the Tombs. Cercei was taking really nasty damage in the Tombs from the mummies' "dark star" attacks (1/3rd of her health each) and from the Beetles bolts, so she had to let her mercenary clear out several rooms.

Duriel was tough. Cercei foolishly only brought 6 full juvies - though she had about seven thousand stored away. At first, she used the crushflange, but the crushing blow didn't seem to do a whole lot, so she switched back to the Steel Flail for faster attack speed, attack rating, and Open Wounds.

Duriel did go down, eventually, and dropped an Eye of Etlitch! He also dropped a Civerb's shield and several rares! (This is my first good Duriel drop ever.)Now Cercei is in Act III, and hasn't even ventured outside of the town yet, only making a new armor, a 3 flawed topaz Breast Plate.

By the way guys, I have been taking on the act bosses at /players 8. What players setting do you fight them on?

Code:

wakiki           Cercei             'Steel' Flail        28    Kurast Docks

Code:

wakiki           Cercei             'Steel' Flail        32    Pandemonium Fortress

I didn't really have any problems with the beginning of Act III. (I've decided to stop trying to type in third person because it annoys me.)

The little guys never bugged me, since I'm using Bone Shield of Deflecting (shopped) and had about 50% blockrate. I only had 7% fire resist though, and kept well away from the Shamans. I took them down with my "safety" bow (Nef + Sapphire + Eth). Knocking them back again and again kept my merc safe.

To my amusement, I found a 2os battlestaff in the jungle with +2 Enchant on it. I don't know if I'll use it though - I'll take versatility over power any day. I also found an Arctic Belt, so she is using it with her armor.

Enchant started to rock when I finally hit level 30 in the Kurast Baazar and got Fire Mastery. At that point Azrael and I started ripping things apart in two or three hits on /p8.

A lovely Skill Shrine was available to in the Travincal, which I used to kill the Council. They died without a hitch, and I moved on to the Durance.

I had cleared the first floor of the Durance, all except for one room. Champion Maulers waited within. I had had no problems with Mauler-types before - in fact, I like them because thay are easy to click. So naturally, my merc and I dashed right in, but suddenly they surrounded us and took me down to 1/4th of my health in an instant. I frantically hit a full rejuv, and teleported away.

I cursed myself for foolishly dashing right in to such a dangerous situation, and decided to reposition in a doorway. The Maulers came, knocked us out of our safe spot, and started to surround us again, but this time I knew to teleport away quickly. So I repositioned in another doorway and tried again, but with the same result. The battle raged all across the Durance, as I was constantly finding new doorways to teleport to and stand in, yet I never made a dent in them.

I gave up temporarily and went to town to freshen up. While in the middle of my enchanting and frost armoring routine at Ormus, it hit me. The skill shrine.

Turns out, the skill shrine had prevented me from refreshing my Enchant! When you are skill-shrine Enchanted, it's impossible to refresh your Enchant, even after the skill shrine turns off, as long as you still have that higher-level enchant on. I had noticed this earlier, and I just knew it would get me into a sticky situation at some point! :scratch:

After restoring my Enchant, I went back down, tore the Maulers apart in seconds, and was on my merry way.

The rest of the Durance went down easily. There were some stygian dolls, but I knocked them back with my safety bow so they were never a problem. Not that they are on normal anyway. Bremm was Conviction enchanted, but I used my bow to keep him pinned against a wall and never got hit by any of his lightning.

Mephisto went down pretty easily. He killed my merc once because I was being stingy with rejuves, waiting till just the right second to use them. He dropped this!:

Bverrit Keep
Tower Shield
Defense: 85
Chance to Block: 54%
Required Strength: 75
Required Level: :neener:
Item Version: 1.10+ Expansion
Item Level: 26
Fingerprint: 0x463b7169
+5 to Strength
+113% Enhanced Defense
+10% Increased Chance of Blocking
+30 Defense
Magic Damage Reduced by 5
Fire Resist +75%

Wow! A perfect Diablo item! I already have some +40 lit res boots and some +29% lit res gloves, so I'll be set.

To my amusement, I found a 2os battlestaff in the jungle with +2 Enchant on it. I don't know if I'll use it though - I'll take versatility over power any day. I also found an Arctic Belt, so she is using it with her armor.

This is near-ideal for pre-buffing Enchant. Make a 'Leaf' runeword from it, and you get +5 to Enchant. You can keep it in weapon switch or inventory, or even leave it in town (max+5 Enchant lasts well over 10 minutes)

This is near-ideal for pre-buffing Enchant. Make a 'Leaf' runeword from it, and you get +5 to Enchant. You can keep it in weapon switch or inventory, or even leave it in town (max+5 Enchant lasts well over 10 minutes)

Your idea is a good one. I was considering replacing my bow with it, but I wub my bow. :smiley: I guess that at later levels of Enchant, keeping the staff in my stash could be practical. I'll try it once I get two Ral runes.

I've been shopping for staves from Drognan for a while, which is why I was so amused about finding it from a monster.

P.S. Haha, I subconsiously stole your character's name! >_>

Hi, all. I haven´t been able to play for almost a week because of computer problems. The fan in the transformer (or whatever it´s called) stopped working. I ordered a new one and got it yesterday. So I am BACK! :smiley:

We move on in Nightmare, and it´s very easy. Only certain boss packs makes it a little hard for Ilzan.

The MF craziness continues. Phiona has now stashed her nice runeworded Flail and uses a 4s Flail that only has a 5% Jewel of Prosperity so far...:grin:
Also, I gambled a 38% Fortuitous Ring of Fortune. Been dry on topaz finds lately, though.

Our weapons:
Phiona: Gemmed 4s Flail with Jewel of Prosperity; Rare Throwing Axe with PMH and IAS
Ilzan: Ethereal Bloodthief, upgraded to War Fork

Let´s see if the Countess has a gift for me...

[Highlight]Destroyer Phiona, level 50, NM Forgotten Tower next[/Highlight]

I gambled a 38% Fortuitous Ring of Fortune
Nice! That's a rare and valuable find. I've only seen a couple rings with 30+ MF my whole D2 career, with 37% and 38%. And you found a perfect Nagel AND a 36% MF amulet? :greedy:

That reminds me... Years ago, I SOLD a 49% Fortuitous Amulet of Luck, before I understood its scarcity. I've never seen another one since. :embarassed: :duh:

PurePremium
Estimated market value
Low
High