The Daily -- All Daily, Every Daily

RL: I've recently started cleaning up my diets. I cut out soda again, because I found it somehow inching its way back in again. And for my new step toward health, I've replaced chips with raw almonds--good fats, no sodium, plenty of protein, fiber, and some potassium to boot. All this to supplement working out and drinking lots of water, and eating lots of greens. I feel like I'm getting on track. Granted, I already really miss my delicious, beloved cheetos and fritos and sunchips... YOU CAN'T JUDGE WHAT WE HAVE

D2: renewing the bnet characters, bumbling about with my cb sorc once a week. Not much really.

OVG: bit of hearthstone, looking forward to the new expansion. Haven't played much else in the past week. I got minecraft on his new machine, as I had it on my laptop, but stopped playing because slow. Maybe I'll fire that up for a bit before bed, start learning things.

Zenigma--you sound so healthy! I have been good about exercising lately, but my diet has been terrible. I just don't eat all day working in my office, and then I eat like half a pizza when I get home. So my weight has actually gone down, despite the terrible nutrition.

RL: I was accepted as one of 10 presenters as THE conference in my field. I'm really excited. My university will be pleased with the new lowly asst. prof. getting another line on his CV.

D2: LK and CS runs with hammerdin inspired by @Grape. LK dropped me Gul, Vex, and Lo, so the game clearly wants me to make a death-bugged Grief Berserker Axe. Hammerdin is getting a little faster, and I'm getting the hang of it.

OVG: Never!

RL: Yawn.

D2: more work on the very aspiring phoenix striker. She's level 58 and in the canyon NM with three tombs cleared.

OVG:What?

RL: back from vacation, sick with cold, gonna go back to sleep soon. I was back at "work" almost immediately, fixing Mom's computer (Windows 7, no new applications would start - not even task manager or cmd, OS boot slower than molasses, no internet connection, could not shut down normally even with alt f4). The hardware was fine, the connections were good, I dusted out the power supply (which was filthy, should be lots better now), no viruses found in safe mode. Spoilers - the problems were caused by warring antivirus programs at startup, including an out of date Avast. So I was able to disable those at startup in safe mode and get things sorted out. And then there were 37,000 Windows update operations.

Today was my younger brother's birthday, so I did as much partying as I was able to (not a lot). He got some Magic Origins packs and some singles to unproxy his cube. I lost in Melee Marth dittos, unsurprisingly, but had some cool moves and did better than I expected.

D2: Soon! There was a tournament I was working on that I should get back to. I think I had an assassin in a set/unique worshipper one.

OVG: Path of Exile as I feel up to it. I have carefully avoided Act 4 spoilers since I was away and now I might have the time to get there. I'm playing a Molten Strike/Frenzy/Fortify duelist using 1h/shield on Warbands. Still getting used to the awesome deterministic lockstep mode - manually dodging stuff works now so I have to learn to play again.

Hey TRM! Missed you by 5 weeks... How are you doing? Man, we should have a pensioner's corner here...

RL: competing at FNM booster draft at my local store in 40 minutes, so I better get going...

D2: Not for some time, waiting for the Indy tournament

OVG: hearthstone, made Rank 4 last season but then got stuck for 30 games. Probably waiting for the new expansion to try a new run at legendary rank...

RL: A week and a half off work, before I have to go back to an overly long commute 4 days a week (3.5 hours travelling in total per day). At least I'm not paying for the overpriced train tickets, I guess.

OVG: Going to try another run at Legend in Hearthstone. I got to Rank 2 with 4 stars a couple of months ago before I hit a bad streak and lost motivation. Currently rank 6 and facing almost nothing but aggro paladins, face and midrange hunters and tempo mages. It's nice to be able to play a combo druid again...

OVG: Going to try another run at Legend in Hearthstone. I got to Rank 2 with 4 stars a couple of months ago before I hit a bad streak and lost motivation. Currently rank 6 and facing almost nothing but aggro paladins, face and midrange hunters and tempo mages. It's nice to be able to play a combo druid again...
Wow! Going beyond rank 5 is really hard, but almost rank 1?[emoji106] I used a midrange Hunter variant but had only a win quote of 53.85 % past rank 6...esp against other hunters my record was bad and there were around 50% Hunter decks... Mage matches were great though - 80% wins [emoji5]

Anyways, good luck for your next run!

RL: got third at FNM booster draft yesterday, only lost my first match against the eventual winner but won the others. Drafted Liliana, too, and earned Serum Visions, so entry fee is already kind of reimbursed [emoji4] any other M:TG players around by chance?

any other M:TG players around by chance?
I play, but only online; to the best of my memory I've never seen a Magic card that wasn't on a screen. I didn't start playing until 2013 though (right after Dragon's Maze) and then Theros killed all my interest in playing the game except for some random cube drafting until I saw Jhessian Thief spoiled from Origins. Of course I have yet to draft one, but the card draw dream is still alive.

If you're looking to waste some time, I uploaded one of my recent Origins drafts to Youtube, mostly as a test of settings and the like, but I did think the games with the deck were interesting and several of my picks in the draft are debatable.

RL: got third at FNM booster draft yesterday, only lost my first match against the eventual winner but won the others. Drafted Liliana, too, and earned Serum Visions, so entry fee is already kind of reimbursed [emoji4]
Nice, congrats. It's great that the promo is such a good, and valuable, card and pulling a planeswalker is always nice. Hopefully you can keep running that well on opening cards. ^_^

Wow! Going beyond rank 5 is really hard, but almost rank 1?[emoji106] I used a midrange Hunter variant but had only a win quote of 53.85 % past rank 6...esp against other hunters my record was bad and there were around 50% Hunter decks... Mage matches were great though - 80% wins [emoji5]

Anyways, good luck for your next run!
Thanks, I should be able to do it this time, just need to put enough games in. It was back in April, when face hunters, oil rogues and mech mages were still everywhere. I started with tempo mage (although Flamewalker was still a couple of weeks away from being released), which was still a reasonably new deck in that form at the time, but couldn't play it well enough to get past rank 4. I switched to zoo and found it matched my play style very well.

It was an interesting time because I got to see the first people trying to learn how play patron warrior - at that point it seemed like an interesting deck that was very difficult to play optimally, rather than the monster it became.

I play, but only online; to the best of my memory I've never seen a Magic card that wasn't on a screen. I didn't start playing until 2013 though (right after Dragon's Maze) and then Theros killed all my interest in playing the game except for some random cube drafting until I saw Jhessian Thief spoiled from Origins. Of course I have yet to draft one, but the card draw dream is still alive.

If you're looking to waste some time, I uploaded one of my recent Origins drafts to Youtube, mostly as a test of settings and the like, but I did think the games with the deck were interesting and several of my picks in the draft are debatable.

Nice, congrats. It's great that the promo is such a good, and valuable, card and pulling a planeswalker is always nice. Hopefully you can keep running that well on opening cards. ^_^
Hey, quite the professional upload there *thumbsup* That people keep playing those Akroan Jailors? *shakes head*
Some questions:
- In M2, G1 you could have - before conceding - cast Wild Instincts on Orchard Spirit. have it fight the Runed Servitor, attack for 4 and bring your opponent down to 4. you also would have drawn a card from the Servitor, topdecking a Unholy Hunger (of course ;) ), in which case you could have attacked with the Spider, too. If not, you would at least have had a blocker for the next turn, getting another draw step for either Unholy Hunger, Necromantic Summons (to resummon your Spider for another block), Kothophed or for the Vial while getting another hit with your Orchard Spirit in and eventually the final one if you drew one of those 4 cards ... chances would have been around 15-20% for that. Of course this would have worked only if your opponent didn't have any other spells to interact with yours...

- Pack 2, pick 1: I wonder if Reave Soul would have been the better pick - you weren't heavily into green yet...and in my opinion BG isn't the best colour pair for this card. I think if you want to try to build around Evolutionary Leap, it's worth drafting it, otherwise I think in terms of consistency Reave Soul would have been the safer pick and let have you stayed open for other colours.

- I was wondering about the person to your left. With all the cards you passed in your first pick, I would have guessed the person to your left went into red. But the pack you got from them in the 2nd pack was loaded with great red cards (Lightning Javelin, Avaricious Dragon) and they took a common pack 2, pick 1. I wonder if it could have been Fiery Impulse?

All in all, going red or white instead of green could have worked out, too with the cards being passed around, but I certainly do agree with the picks you made after Evolutionary Leap.

Thanks, I should be able to do it this time, just need to put enough games in. It was back in April, when face hunters, oil rogues and mech mages were still everywhere. I started with tempo mage (although Flamewalker was still a couple of weeks away from being released), which was still a reasonably new deck in that form at the time, but couldn't play it well enough to get past rank 4. I switched to zoo and found it matched my play style very well.

It was an interesting time because I got to see the first people trying to learn how play patron warrior - at that point it seemed like an interesting deck that was very difficult to play optimally, rather than the monster it became.
I already had a combo warrior deck before the patron, but there was too much variance in it (It had Rampage and Amani Berserkers and Raging Worgens and such)...The Patron really helped that strategy along... :p

I mainly play Mech Mage and Midrange Hunter, although I'm dabbling into Combo Warrior and Control Priest, the latter takes too much time per game though :-D Anyways, good luck for you! Hope you make Legendary this season!

I haven't played in almost 15 years. Still have a few thousand cards sitting on my closet's top shelf though. [emoji14]

Oh man another all encompassing thread. I wasn't around when this one was made.

RL: Man life is pretty boring ATM. Got a huge bonus at work, can't even think of what to spend it on. So I'm saving, I guess. Volunteered to do the overnight at work last night for 12 hours overtime, basically since I have nothing better to do, so I'm tired and should be asleep right now. Training for a half marathon in my town. It should be cake I've run it before, although I am out of shape right now. Got two friends who are training for it as well so that is fun.

D2: Upgraded to windows 10 and struggling. If anyone else got some tips for me to get it running quickly, that'd be great. My load times are weird, like I get a weird long blackscreen going into and out of games.

OVG: Playing some D3, can't wait for season 4 and the cube and all that. I can rarely play it for more than a couple weeks at a time anyways. I am searching for another video game to actually hold my attention.

Oh man another all encompassing thread. I wasn't around when this one was made.
Welcome back then! It's been some months for you, too?

RL: Got a huge bonus at work, can't even think of what to spend it on.
How about kestegs' Magic card collection? :p
I haven't played in almost 15 years. Still have a few thousand cards sitting on my closet's top shelf though. [emoji14]
You don't mind shipping them to Germany, do you? :p

RL: Went swimming with my wife, daughters and my mom. Well, it isn't actually "swimming" if your children are 3 1/2 and 1/2 year old, but hey! It's as exhausting!

D2: Still waiting for the Indy tournament (japanzaman, where are you!?!?!? :))

OVG: Bad streak in the Hearthstone arena with a Paladin aggro deck...don't try this at home! (1-3)

I have no problem shipping them anywhere.... For the right price! I actually have no idea what they're worth now though.

RL: Life is not my friend right now, I really want to just give up on it. Marriage is really rough right now. I'm coaching my son's baseball team starting tonight as well. I've never been a head coach before, so I'm nervous. But it should be fun.

D2: Not in about a week.

OVG: Been playing Rogue legacy lately, but not in the last couple days. Don't really have much interest in anything right now.

Condolences on the situation kegs.

RL: power just came back on at work. Thus work.

D2: been planning the restart on the new computer abc side.

OVG: nope.

I have a thousand of MTG cards on myt bookshelf next to me. Haven't picked them up since I put them there after rearranging my room. Grand memories those cards hold.... Absolutely amazing. :)

RL: Finishing up my last week in my current department. I feel like I have a good grasp of things, far different from the novice I was precisely four months ago. I'm ready for things to get turned right around as I learn things in another department.

D2: Surprise, surprise! I found a use for my bowazon. I just finished questing act 2 NM while listening to a Richard Dawkins' TED talk. Just started listening to something called "the four horsemen of the non-apocalypse." It's quite interesting. Anyways, the bowazon enables me to play D2 lazily while listening to something interesting. Zons aren't my flavor, but I'm really enjoying her right tonight. :)

OVG: Ummm, I guess Hearthstone still..? I play enough to not be losing opportunities to earn gold. Minecraft is coo l too. I played over the weekend. There's this enormous cave system in my world, and I have a feeling I'm almost done exploring it. But who knows, I've felt close to the end before, only to have it open up to great length. We shall see this coming weekend.

Hey, quite the professional upload there *thumbsup* That people keep playing those Akroan Jailors? *shakes head*
Some questions:
Thanks for the feedback!

In M2, G1 you could have - before conceding - cast Wild Instincts on Orchard Spirit. have it fight the Runed Servitor, attack for 4 and bring your opponent down to 4. you also would have drawn a card from the Servitor, topdecking a Unholy Hunger (of course ;) ), in which case you could have attacked with the Spider, too. If not, you would at least have had a blocker for the next turn, getting another draw step for either Unholy Hunger, Necromantic Summons (to resummon your Spider for another block), Kothophed or for the Vial while getting another hit with your Orchard Spirit in and eventually the final one if you drew one of those 4 cards ... chances would have been around 15-20% for that. Of course this would have worked only if your opponent didn't have any other spells to interact with yours...
I think it's pretty close whether I should've played it out there or not, but I decided to avoid showing Wild Instincts though I definitely should've talked out why I was doing so. Even if I had used it the Spirit just trades with the Foundry of the Consuls if my opponent wishes, assuming they have no way to interrupt me otherwise, and then I get to chump once. It's still interesting, as you highlight, because I could've drawn into Unholy Hunger, traded with the Foundry tokens using Orchard Spirit and killed Alhammarret on my next turn after chumping with the spider to presumably be even on an empty board, but then I'm topdecking against an opponent who has drawn 15 lands out of their deck (by the time I conceded 14 of their lands were accounted for) plus 3 cards in hand and I just didn't think the chances of me winning were worth showing a card. There are probably times I would use the Instincts and times I wouldn't in that spot, but even though Unholy Hunger into Kothophed - and not subsequently losing to my own Kothophed - is pretty unlikely it may well be worth showing Instincts and taking the time to see if it happens.

Pack 2, pick 1: I wonder if Reave Soul would have been the better pick - you weren't heavily into green yet...and in my opinion BG isn't the best colour pair for this card. I think if you want to try to build around Evolutionary Leap, it's worth drafting it, otherwise I think in terms of consistency Reave Soul would have been the safer pick and let have you stayed open for other colours.
I definitely agree that Reave Soul was better in terms of staying open, but now I also just think Reave Soul was just the better card regardless. I still think Evolutionary Leap is pretty powerful and a decently high pick, but Reave Soul keeps going up in value for me. A card that can kill a Topan Freeblade when you're behind, a Somberwald Alpha when you're even or a Catacomb Slug when you're ahead is just too good in this format.

I was wondering about the person to your left. With all the cards you passed in your first pick, I would have guessed the person to your left went into red. But the pack you got from them in the 2nd pack was loaded with great red cards (Lightning Javelin, Avaricious Dragon) and they took a common pack 2, pick 1. I wonder if it could have been Fiery Impulse?
I think it was just a case of the people to my left getting out of red when they didn't see any good cards after the pack I opened in pack 1. It seems strange to ship all that red and then be seeing good red in pack 2, but there just wasn't any coming from my right, so I assume the person to my immediate left was probably in blue (I feel decently confident they were my round 2 opponent, given that opponent had Alhammarret, though that's not certain) and probably green since those were the colors I was passing the best cards in and so may have taken Voidmage, Disperse, Timberpack Wolf (they could've had one already), Wild Instincts, Leaf Gilder, etc. Assuming they were my round 2 opponent and were already UB, they may instead have taken a good black common, though I only remember passing a Fleshbag Marauder and Shambling Ghoul in pack 1 but if their p1p1 was a strong black card (cruel revival or something) maybe that was enough to keep them in black.

All in all, going red or white instead of green could have worked out, too with the cards being passed around, but I certainly do agree with the picks you made after Evolutionary Leap.
All I really saw in pack 1 of white was a Charging Griffin, so I think I would've had to be psychic to be in white, but I do think I was supposed to be black/red this draft. I should have picked up the Subterranean Scout and Act of Treason at the end of pack 1 instead of the marginal black commons that always wheel, which would've left me open to taking red cards pack 2 and having a reasonable BR deck. From the packs I saw I would've had at least 8 playables from red including Blazing Hellhound, at least one Enthralling Victor, multiple Akroan Sergeants, multiple Acts of Treason and multiple Subterranean Scouts to get in damage with. I'd say overall it was a pretty good draft to point out how important it is to try to keep an open mind to the table and put yourself in a position to move in to what's open, since I did a rather poor job of it here.

PurePremium
Estimated market value
Low
High