The Apprentice Program for Scavengers - Tournament

Re: The Apprentice Program for Scavengers - Tournament

Scavruid has taken a short spin in Hell. He cleared the Den of Evil and now sits at the Cold Plains Way Point. This is going to take a lot of patience. The team has physical (grizzley), cold(mercenary) and fire damage (Scavruid). Scavruid also has volcano for a little physical damage when fire immunes arrive. It takes forever to kill off a few ghouls.

He used his one skill point from Akara to raise the Grizzley to level 19. After the next leveling, the Grizzley will be maxed out and the rest of Act 1 Hell skill points are wild cards. I have to decide whether to put them into one of the wolves to enhance the Grizzley, into Fissure, or into Volcano. The next two acts will be used for the wolves if Scavruid can survive that long. It looks like the best place to spend the points would be Fissure. Any thoughts?

Well done Wolron. Congrats Conqueror Scavruid!

Butz. :dunce:

Don't wish your life away! At your age (I assume) your mind cannot take anything as bland as game playing for extended periods. The real world still holds major challenges and your imagination is filled with dreams of the unknown future that beckons you to pursue them. At my age, the challenges and dreams are centered around Diablo and grand children. But, that is what I worked for all those years as I met those challenges and pursued those dreams.

Thanks Wolron for that Wolron :wink3:. I guess i will understand better when i reach your age :tongue:.

Btw, well done on achieving Conqueror, hopefully your 7th try is the lucky one :grin:.

Well, since Wolron has moved into second place, I guess I've gotta get Skunkfire out of the mothballs. She's now defeated the NM Countess, and is making slow, painful progress. Killing is slow, but in one more level, she'll get her first point in Death Sentry, which will help her poor little fire traps immensely.

Best find in the first part of act 1 NM so far: a Shael rune. Now I just need to find a decent two-socketed shield to do a little Rhyming with... no such luck so far.

Scavruid was not fast enough!!

Scavruid was traversing the Tamoe Highlands. He had decided to stick to the stone wall and go around on the west side until he made it to the Monastery. Things were going well. That means that he was managing to kill things slowly but surely. Then a boss pack of Dark Archers rushed the team. They were fast, and the boss had curse as one of her abilities. Of course, the team was immediately cursed. The mercenary fell quickly and the Grizzley followed close behind. Scavruid decided to recast the grizzley, but a glance at the blue ball told Wolron that there was not enough mana left (that was a mistake, I should have looked at that ball before the battle). With no mana, it seemed prudent to run. Scavruid ran. However, the Dark Archers were fast. They simply kept up with him. Hmm, the trail was safe for quite a ways, but at some point Scavruid would have to go back into the Black Marsh and activate the Way Point to return to the Rogue Camp, or cast his own portal, or cast the grizzley (a mana potion had already been gulped down). Either of the first two would probably not have worked because it simply would have taken too long. However, casting the Grizzley again seemed possible. It was not. The pack was on Scavruid before the Grizzley even appeared. Oh Well, that is all the Scavenging that Wolron can do. I sure did enjoy my own tournament. And, second place is better than I usually do. Is anyone going to drop me down to third?? fourth?? Good Luck to all.

Act 1 Skill: Firestorm (15)
Act 2 Skill: Fissure (11) (Includes three Quest Skill Points)
Act 3 Skill: Spirit Wolf (3)
Act 4 Skill: Dire Wolf (2)
Act 5 Skill: Grizzley Bear (18) (Includes Five Quest Skill Points)
Act 1NM Skill: Volcano (14)
Act 2NM Skill: Oak Sage (10)
Act 3NM Skill: Molten Boulder (7)

WPs : 83
Quests : 58
Level : -76

Souvenirs:
Act 1: Ring of the Leech (1x3 = 3)
Act 2: Russet Ring of craftsmanship (2x3 = 6)
Act 3: Sigon's Wrap Plated Belt (3x2 = 6)
Act 4: Rare Greaves (4x2 = 8)
Act 5: Ancient's Pledge Kite Shield (5x1 = 5)
Act 1NM: Sigon's Guard Tower Shield (6x1 = 6)
Act 2NM: Gemmed Dimensional Blade (7x1 = 7)
Act 3NM: Iratha's Coil Crown (8x2 = 16)
Act 4NM: Amulet of Luck (9x3 = 27)
Act 5NM: Ancient Armor (10x2 = 20)

Total : 169 points

Code:
ALIVE
Character     Class        Forum Name     Level     Act  Last WP         Score
TBN           Assassin     Online           51      2NM   Lut Gholein      82
Skunkfire     Assassin     Skunkbelly       44      1NM   Rogue Camp       47
Bill	      Druid	   EJB		    45      1NM   Rouge Camp	   47
Tybalt        Paladin      Jaago            31      5     Harrogath        46
Crusty        Necromancer  Gahzban          31      5     Harrogath        42
Irore         Assassin     Glenstorm        27      4     Chaos Sanc       25
Scavmancer    Necromancer  AlterEgo         30      4     City of Damned   25
BetI_Die      Assassin     Playerdrm        21      3     Kurast Docks     17
Daniel        Paladin      pwangsta         21      3     Kurast Docks     17
Maldrac       Druid        orewop           14      2     Lut Gholein       4
Steve         Druid        Tadzio           15      2     Lut Gholein       2
Diomedes      Paladin      DementiaMaster   16      1     Catacombs 2       1
WhiteKnight   Paladin      Jaelen           16      2     Lut Gholein       0
Emmy          Sorceress    Stephan          1       1     Rogue Camp        0
Morathi       Amazon       Triss            1       1     Rogue Camp        0
Elizabeth     Amazon       Huriel           5       1     Cold Plains      -1
Crow          Barb         Ilshad           10      1     Dark Wood        -3
Oracle        Barbarian    IRoK             13      1     Dark Marsh       -4

DEAD/RETIRED
Character     Class        Forum Name      Level   Act   Death Site  Final Score
Niki          Assassin     Butzull          84      5H    Icy Cellar      329
Scavruid      Druid        Wolron           76      1H    Tamoe Highlands 169
Wereskunk     Druid        Skunkbelly       68      5NM   Frozen Tunnel   158
Sir Scavenger Paladin      Wolron           68      5NM   Crystalline P.  153
Scavazon      Amazon       Wolron           72      5NM   Ancients        147
DeathRat      Necromancer  Wolron           73      5NM   WZ Keep Lvl3    139
AmIDeadYet    Sorceress    EJB              62      4NM   Kurast Docks    125
Scavasin      Assassin     Wolron           71      5NM   Glacial Trail   122
Thrull        Paladin      Gahzban          62      3NM   Travincal       105
Surtr         Druid        DementiaMaster   57      3NM   Great Marsh     105
Scabarian     Barbarian    Wolron           58      3NM   Spider Cavern    97
Scaveress     Sorceress    Wolron           52      2NM   Arcane Sanc.     78
Hildr         Amazon       Horobi           29      4     Diablo           36
Dan           Barbarian    pwangsta         28      4     Chaos Sanc.      31
Orin_S.       Necromancer  midnightvulture  31      4     Diablo           29
Steptoe       Sorceress    Zatlaren         30      4     Chaos Sanctuary  29
Catriona      Amazon       Magicboy         21      3     Kurast Docks     18
Sally         Amazon       EJB              27      3     Lower Kurast     15
Daniela       Assassin     pwangsta         23      3     Spider Cavern    13
Danny         Necromancer  pwangsta         21      2     Duriel            8
Danni         Amazon       pwangsta         21      2     Duriel            8
NotMyRound    Barb         EmperorMoo       18      2     Stony Tomb        8
Rave          Necro        DementiaMaster   24      2     Lut Gholein       6
Elora	      Sorceress    nobes            16      2     Sewers	    1
Modar_Lexon   Necromancer  howdidigethere   7       1     Stony Field       ??

RIP Scavruid, but well done Wolron. Good grief, 6 Destroyers (4 of whom made it to Act 5 NM), and a Conqueror! Great dedication and consistency! :shocked:

Re: Scavruid was not fast enough!!

RIP, Scavruid. A noble run!

Skunkfire has defeated NM Andariel. It was a long, slow slog through act 1... the addition of Death Sentry to my arsenal helped somewhat, though. Still, I have a long way to go to be competitive in this tourny... hopefully by the time I reach the end of NM (if I do!), I'll have some halfway viable gear and skills. So far, not so much :rolleyes:

I did get a nice souvenir for act 1, though: my imbue, of all things... a rare belt with 20+ fire and lightning resistance, and +22 life.

I'll fix my score in the table when I'm at work... no broadband at home, and I'm going to have to hunt through the thread for my last update post...

After a bit of thought at how dreadful going through act 1 was, and how my fire skills won't see any kind of boost until hell difficulty level, I think Skunkfire is going to retire... at least from the tourney. I may try to finish her up on my own one of these days, to see if I can make a fire trapper work at all.

But I'm not ready to give up on this one, what with myself in second place and all... I'll take one more crack at it. Enter Skunksleet the sorceress. Her act 1 skill will be ice bolt.

But I'm not ready to give up on this one, what with myself in second place and all...
Umm, third place. Wolron knocked you off with Scavruid. ;)

Good luck with Skunksleet.

Umm, third place. Wolron knocked you off with Scavruid. ;)

Good luck with Skunksleet.

Actually Skunkbelly is in second and I am in first. You are so far away out there that we have completely lost sight of you... You cease to exist... :rolleyes:

Well done Wolron, having 7 attempts is truely dedication.

Its a shame none of them made it all the way but you gave it your best shot.

Actually Skunkbelly is in second and I am in first. You are so far away out there that we have completely lost sight of you... You cease to exist... :rolleyes:

roflmao. Yep. Butz smushed everyone. But we'll see how Skunksleet does. She's tearing up the Cold Plains even now!

Hi. Long-time lurker, finally posting. It seems I got a jump on the Hep tourney by making 5 scavengers over the last month and playing them alternately (without trading, of course) rather than playing them one at a time to their ignominious deaths. In fact, what usually happened is I'll play someone for a while, get to a tough (for me at least) decision about skill progression or souvaneer choice, then wait to ask you all, starting another char in the meantime! With only two HC chars with any Hell experience (two easy builds--Tesladin and fisheymancer), I have not clue about end game viability of items and skills. Of course that means I have now saved up a bunch of questions, and in some cases gone ahead with some odd decisions...like my stupid fire druid with a quest point in poison creeper!

First question: when you list/describe an item, you are copying the info from ATMA or typing everything in (and everyone uses the same format? not likely!)?

First question: when you list/describe an item, you are copying the info from ATMA or typing everything in (and everyone uses the same format? not likely!)?
Welcome mate.

I know I copy and paste from ATMA, and usually delete some of the rows that aren't important to what i'm trying to show (like level requirement, etc...unless I'm showing off a ridiculous level requirement).

Hi. Long-time lurker, finally posting. It seems I got a jump on the Hep tourney by making 5 scavengers over the last month and playing them alternately (without trading, of course) rather than playing them one at a time to their ignominious deaths. In fact, what usually happened is I'll play someone for a while, get to a tough (for me at least) decision about skill progression or souvaneer choice, then wait to ask you all, starting another char in the meantime! With only two HC chars with any Hell experience (two easy builds--Tesladin and fisheymancer), I have not clue about end game viability of items and skills. Of course that means I have now saved up a bunch of questions, and in some cases gone ahead with some odd decisions...like my stupid fire druid with a quest point in poison creeper!

The item description in ATMA seems to have a different source depending on what sort of ATMA file you are looking at. If you have an ATMA D2X file, the description appears whenever you click on an item name in the list. Just go to the description and highlite the text. Then use CTRL C to copy it and CTRL V to paste it in the post. However, if you are in a D2S file, you right click on the item and then click on "View". That will bring up a description that can be copied into the post. At least, this is how I do it.

Thank you much! I'll give that a try.

At the risk of wearing out my welcome quickly, here is Q#2: charms with elemental damage clearly don't add to spells--well, at least fire/light spells don't do cold damage. Yet some +damages items must add to sorc spells. After all, Cathan's set is a sorc set, so the fire damage from the rings must add to fire spells, right? Is there a simple rule here?

Oh, I lost my most viable char--the one with the best souvaneer finds. Hosed by the big D! She (lightning sorc) had chance guards, for late-game cash and MF all the way through, the quest ring from Oramus (sp?) was 10% fcr, 30% lr, 28% pr, and I had taken another giant step towards building resists with boots with hefty fire and cold res (posting from my work machine, so I can't try out the cut and paste from my play machine at home yet). I had already dumped two casters with crazy resists I didn't think were even possible in act 3 normal--39% poison and 38% lightning. unfortunately the spells were crap, just the resist and some +mana.

Now, which one of the others should I go back to? Probably not the one no one else tried, since I will bet no one tried it because it is not hell-viable. The idea was a "singer barb" (yea, I know they are mostly PvP). I worked on synergies howl (15) and taunt (7) in acts one and two, taking advantage of the fact that those mean dudes hardly need more than a broken club to clear the first two acts. I had planned to do concentrate in act 3, a weapon mastery (sword? axe? mace?) in 4, battle cry in 5, war cry in NM1, battle orders in NM2, and natural resist in NM3 (no need to put a bunch of points in battle command, right?). One quest point went to bash for Duriel, one is saved (or did I put it in iron skin at 18, thinking it would be marginally useful on its own, plus mean one more point in natural resist later?) If this is dumb (and I suspect it is), tell me why and talk me out of it! (or just let this guy die to normal Diablo, too!).

Thank you much! I'll give that a try.

At the risk of wearing out my welcome quickly, here is Q#2: charms with elemental damage clearly don't add to spells--well, at least fire/light spells don't do cold damage. Yet some +damages items must add to sorc spells. After all, Cathan's set is a sorc set, so the fire damage from the rings must add to fire spells, right? Is there a simple rule here?

Oh, I lost my most viable char--the one with the best souvaneer finds. Hosed by the big D! She (lightning sorc) had chance guards, for late-game cash and MF all the way through, the quest ring from Oramus (sp?) was 10% fcr, 30% lr, 28% pr, and I had taken another giant step towards building resists with boots with hefty fire and cold res (posting from my work machine, so I can't try out the cut and paste from my play machine at home yet). I had already dumped two casters with crazy resists I didn't think were even possible in act 3 normal--39% poison and 38% lightning. unfortunately the spells were crap, just the resist and some +mana.

Now, which one of the others should I go back to? Probably not the one no one else tried, since I will bet no one tried it because it is not hell-viable. The idea was a "singer barb" (yea, I know they are mostly PvP). I worked on synergies howl (15) and taunt (7) in acts one and two, taking advantage of the fact that those mean dudes hardly need more than a broken club to clear the first two acts. I had planned to do concentrate in act 3, a weapon mastery (sword? axe? mace?) in 4, battle cry in 5, war cry in NM1, battle orders in NM2, and natural resist in NM3 (no need to put a bunch of points in battle command, right?). One quest point went to bash for Duriel, one is saved (or did I put it in iron skin at 18, thinking it would be marginally useful on its own, plus mean one more point in natural resist later?) If this is dumb (and I suspect it is), tell me why and talk me out of it! (or just let this guy die to normal Diablo, too!).

Hmmm, I have looked at this post a couple times now and I really do not think that I can help much. But I will respond if only to assure you that you are not wearing out your welcome.

As for your questions about damage. I have convinced myself that the damage boosts are to be added to melee weapon damage or range weapon damage, but not to spell damage. Of course, I am probably wrong. I wish there were a place that all of these sorts of things were explained in great detail. There are all sorts of terms (Crushing Blow, Deadly Strike, Cold absorb, Open wounds, etc.) that I would like to see explained really well. Even things like "Attacker takes lightning damage of 15"; when is the damage taken? how often? How do immunes react? ...

As for the character builds, there are so many that I have not even tried that I do not feel capable of assessing yours. However, there are character specific forums that might be of some use to you if you have the patience to study some of the material that is posted there. Good Luck.

So now that I have played around with LOD for a while I've decided to give this tournament another go. My last character was a terrible failure so I've decided to go a much easier route this time with a Necromancer. For Elora (my last char) I spent so much time writing her back story (she died before I could even finish and post it) that I got attached to her before I even started playing her. I was real disappointed after her quick death in the normal sewers. I've now decided to save cool names and stories for softcore characters. This next tournament char's name is blank and he gets no story, sorry.

the plan:
Act 1: raise skeleton
Act 2: Skeleton mastery
Acts 3 & 4: some combination of either Decrepify, Attract or Golem Mastery.
Act 5: Corpse Explosion
Figure the rest out later.

I just started but I’m getting good vibes on this character so far. I only got to the cold plains WP but I've found two wands: first was +2 bone armor (nice early game protection) and the second was +1 raise skele, +1 skele mastery, and +1 amp! (the 3 perfect skills for this build)

Code:
ALIVE
Character     Class        Forum Name     Level     Act  Last WP         Score
TBN           Assassin     Online           51      2NM   Lut Gholein      82
Skunkfire     Assassin     Skunkbelly       44      1NM   Rogue Camp       47
Bill	      Druid	   EJB		    45      1NM   Rouge Camp	   47
Tybalt        Paladin      Jaago            31      5     Harrogath        46
Crusty        Necromancer  Gahzban          31      5     Harrogath        42
Irore         Assassin     Glenstorm        27      4     Chaos Sanc       25
Scavmancer    Necromancer  AlterEgo         30      4     City of Damned   25
BetI_Die      Assassin     Playerdrm        21      3     Kurast Docks     17
Daniel        Paladin      pwangsta         21      3     Kurast Docks     17
Maldrac       Druid        orewop           14      2     Lut Gholein       4
Steve         Druid        Tadzio           15      2     Lut Gholein       2
Diomedes      Paladin      DementiaMaster   16      1     Catacombs 2       1
WhiteKnight   Paladin      Jaelen           16      2     Lut Gholein       0
Emmy          Sorceress    Stephan          1       1     Rogue Camp        0
Morathi       Amazon       Triss            1       1     Rogue Camp        0
blank	      Necromancer  nobes	    4       1     Cold Plains      -1
Elizabeth     Amazon       Huriel           5       1     Cold Plains      -1
Crow          Barb         Ilshad           10      1     Dark Wood        -3
Oracle        Barbarian    IRoK             13      1     Dark Marsh       -4

DEAD/RETIRED
Character     Class        Forum Name      Level   Act   Death Site  Final Score
Niki          Assassin     Butzull          84      5H    Icy Cellar      329
Scavruid      Druid        Wolron           76      1H    Tamoe Highlands 169
Wereskunk     Druid        Skunkbelly       68      5NM   Frozen Tunnel   158
Sir Scavenger Paladin      Wolron           68      5NM   Crystalline P.  153
Scavazon      Amazon       Wolron           72      5NM   Ancients        147
DeathRat      Necromancer  Wolron           73      5NM   WZ Keep Lvl3    139
AmIDeadYet    Sorceress    EJB              62      4NM   Kurast Docks    125
Scavasin      Assassin     Wolron           71      5NM   Glacial Trail   122
Thrull        Paladin      Gahzban          62      3NM   Travincal       105
Surtr         Druid        DementiaMaster   57      3NM   Great Marsh     105
Scabarian     Barbarian    Wolron           58      3NM   Spider Cavern    97
Scaveress     Sorceress    Wolron           52      2NM   Arcane Sanc.     78
Hildr         Amazon       Horobi           29      4     Diablo           36
Dan           Barbarian    pwangsta         28      4     Chaos Sanc.      31
Orin_S.       Necromancer  midnightvulture  31      4     Diablo           29
Steptoe       Sorceress    Zatlaren         30      4     Chaos Sanctuary  29
Catriona      Amazon       Magicboy         21      3     Kurast Docks     18
Sally         Amazon       EJB              27      3     Lower Kurast     15
Daniela       Assassin     pwangsta         23      3     Spider Cavern    13
Danny         Necromancer  pwangsta         21      2     Duriel            8
Danni         Amazon       pwangsta         21      2     Duriel            8
NotMyRound    Barb         EmperorMoo       18      2     Stony Tomb        8
Rave          Necro        DementiaMaster   24      2     Lut Gholein       6
Elora	      Sorceress    nobes            16      2     Sewers	    1
Modar_Lexon   Necromancer  howdidigethere   7       1     Stony Field       ??

This next tournament char's name is blank and he gets no story, sorry.

the plan:
Act 1: raise skeleton
Act 2: Skeleton mastery
Acts 3 & 4: some combination of either Decrepify, Attract or Golem Mastery.
Act 5: Corpse Explosion
Figure the rest out later.

I just started but I’m getting good vibes on this character so far. I only got to the cold plains WP but I've found two wands: first was +2 bone armor (nice early game protection) and the second was +1 raise skele, +1 skele mastery, and +1 amp! (the 3 perfect skills for this build)

Good Luck with Blank. That may not sound like a name to inspire, but I bet you still get attached to him if he lasts through act 2.

By the way, if you really want to get into a tournament that will result in attachment, join my Heptad team tournament. It will be starting on March 10th. It would give you a chance to get attached to seven characters.:evil:

Thanks Wolron.

I read your Heptad tournament and really like the idea, I just don't think I have the time to commit to that. I struggle to find time to keep up with the two chars I have going right now.

You do give a year to complete though so maybe... hmmmmm..... (runs off to start some planing)

PurePremium
Estimated market value
Low
High