Take a look at this rune screenie ... what would you make?

bill_n_opus

Nov 4, 2021
Screenshot064.png

I'm starting to collect a full stash of runes. I've gotten the basic high-powered, BiS type runewords already ... i'm curious what you would make from the runes here. I've collected most bases.

I have these RW's that I use and swap from char to char.

Faith GMB
Enigma in a dusk shroud
Infinity eth thresher iirc
Hoto
Spirit x2 (for 2 35% fcr) and a 35% spirit in a sacred rondache for my cheezy hammerdin
CtA - average roll
Treachery in something or other.
Grief x2 in Phase Blades
Lawbringer (for that good Act 5 Barb offhand loveliness to compliment an FoHdin)

What else ...

I've never made a Fortitude because ... i've just never. The Treachery is a pretty darn good armor and can be BiS when the fade procs. I use that for most or all of my mercs. I use the Enigma on pretty much all of my chars save the Sorcs because i'm addicted to the teleport and the MF/Life etc.

So, what should I make next?

• Wow
Reactions: snickersnack
I'd make Fortitude, for sure. I made mine in a Dusk Shroud, but Archon Plate would work great too. Treachery is superb for the price and lvl req, but Forti is BiS. I'd also make another Fortitude in an eth armor for the merc. I made mine in an eth sacred armor, and letting the merc use the normal one until he can equip Andy Visage to meet the 222 str.

Also, Phoenix.

Reactions: bill_n_opus
First it's pretty straight-forward, making all the essentials: Enigma, Infinity, good CtA, good Griefs, Fortitude, good Hotos, perhaps even include Faith here...

Seems you got these covered pretty much.

Then you can go for less useful ones for funky Pat/Mat builds and/or for the runeword grail as well. Things like Dreams, Phoenix, Last Wish, Ice, Brand... some are more useful than others, but they are more "for fun" and most efficient(farming builds don't use these.

After making those -- or skipping them if you want to stick with the "useful" things -- high rune use becomes rather straight-forward yet again:

Cham => all sorts of headgear (Shako, Griffon, Andariel's, GFace, good rare circlets)
Jah/Ber => all Enigma/Infinity for multiple bases and to reduce swapping across characters.
Sur => cube to Ber
Lo => all Grief PBs for best possible rolls, and after that Grief BAs.
Ohm => all CtAs or cube to Lo if better Griefs are desired
Gul/Vex => cube to Ohm
Mal/Ist => CtAs & all sorts of MF gear (180 MF swords, Wizzy, Suicide Branch, body armors)

A second Hoto, Fortitudes as suggested. get a decent CtA, tried 4 times and I stll get 1 to BO. And a Phoenix shield, as long as the build doesn't require a 2hand weapon or two actual weapons it's hard to beat - since when is a shield a weapon.

How many Griefs, HotOs, Enigmas and Infinities do you have @ffs ?
According to GoMule stashes in 1.14 (SC) and D2R (HC) combined: 9x Enigma, 6x Infinity, 14x Hoto, 29x CtA, 24x Grief.

Somehow I kept many low roll CtAs & Griefs thinking I'd perhaps use them, but of course I don't. :D Actually should make more Enigmas again, I made many PvP characters year that can use them and I'm sitting on a bunch of Sur-Jah runes anyway without any other use for them.

I never finished the runeword grail though :D but the only ones missing are some completely useless low/mid tier runewords I've always been too lazy to make.

My initial thought on reading @ffs list of runewords was he needs to get a life. Then I starting thinking about what I've made in not quite 2 years and wondered what I would have if I had not skipped the 10 years before that. I've come to the conclusion that either I need a life or that @ffs does have a life and I'm just jealous!😇

Holy crap @ffs.

but yah, i'll probably just scratch that itch and get that Fortitude and look into specific build use runewords.

In a previous life I made a Delerium helm for my Strafezon and it was pretty effective for crowd control and general fun. I made a Bramble for my poisonmancer back then too but this time I don't have a Death's Web so I haven't gotten around to it.

I would make Faith in a bow that an A1 merc can use.
eBotD Colossus Blade ofc.

For me it depends on what you want to do and how you play.

Reactions: BBS_Agonistes
If I were all set on the BiS runewords, I'd make an auradin. I watched a youtube build on an auradin variation that used Hand of Justice and Dragon to get level 44 fire aura with FoH as backup. It looked pretty good.

Reactions: little birdy
My question to @ffs is : how many times did you reroll last wish runeword? ^^
There was no need to reroll, because the only Last Wish I ever made rolled perfect ED. :D

Unfortunately it seems with dii.net being gone I can't find individual posts from my untwinked 99er Necro, but when it came to runes and runewords that guy had the craziest luck I've ever witnessed. Not only did he find my first two direct Zod drops within just ~6 hours or so of running. But when spending the runes after hitting 99, he got both a perfect ED roll on Last Wish and a perfect ED roll on BotD. o_O Although the BotD is "only" 411%, it was made in a 11% superior base, the runeword itself rolled max ED. (Last Wish was made in 15% base.)

Code:
Last Wish
Superior Phase Blade
JahMalJahSurJahBer
One Hand Damage: 151 - 171
Indestructible
Required Level: 65
Required Strength: 25
Required Dexterity: 136
Fingerprint: 0xbca7fea5
Item Level: 84
Version: Expansion 1.10+
6% Chance to cast level 11 Fade when struck
10% Chance to cast level 18 Life Tap on striking
20% Chance to cast level 20 Charged Bolt on attack
Level 17 Might Aura When Equipped
390% Enhanced Damage
Ignore Target's Defense
+1 to Attack Rating
66% Chance of Crushing Blow
Prevent Monster Heal
Hit Blinds Target +1
41% Better Chance of Getting Magic Items (Based on Character Level) 6 Sockets (6 used)
Socketed: Jah Rune
Socketed: Mal Rune
Socketed: Sur Rune
Socketed: Ber Rune

Jah Rune
Weapons: Ignore Target's Defense Armor: Increase Maximum Life 5% Shields: +50 to Life
Mal Rune
Required Level: 49
Weapons: Prevent Monster Heal Armor: Magic Damage Reduced by 7 Shields: Magic Damage Reduced by 7
Jah Rune
Weapons: Ignore Target's Defense Armor: Increase Maximum Life 5% Shields: +50 to Life
Sur Rune
Required Level: 61
Weapons: Hit Blinds Target +1 Armor: Increase Maximum Mana 5% Shields: +50 to Mana
Jah Rune
Ber Rune
Required Level: 63
Weapons: 20% Chance of Crushing Blow Armor: Damage Reduced by 8% Shields: Damage Reduced by 8%

Breath of the Dying
Superior Great Poleaxe
VexHelElEldZodEth
     Two Hand Damage: 352 - 970
     Durability: 28 of 28
     Required Level: 69
     Required Strength: 136
     Required Dexterity: 72
     Fingerprint: 0x4f6973f5
     Item Level: 84
50% Chance to cast level      20 Poison Nova when you Kill an Enemy
     Indestructible
     +60% Increased Attack Speed
     411% Enhanced Damage
     -25% Target Defense
     +50 to Attack Rating
     +200% Damage to Undead
     +50 to Attack Rating against Undead
     7% Mana stolen per hit
     15% Life stolen per hit
     Prevent Monster Heal
     All Stats +30
     +1 to Light Radius
     Requirements -20%
Ethereal
     6 Sockets (6 used)
     Socketed: Vex Rune
     Socketed: Hel Rune
     Socketed: El Rune
     Socketed: Eld Rune
     Socketed: Zod Rune
     Socketed: Eth Rune

It was kinda frustrating tbh because those runewords are rather useless, and I made some 5-7 Griefs with him which all got terrible rolls... while back then I was really looking for good Griefs more than anything. :D

@ffs all your posts should be in the forum archive now, but screenshots may have gone.

Yah, like ffs basically said, the high end runewords are great but ultimately niche in the grand scheme of things compared to the bread and butter runewords like Grief and Enigma. Since I've ever only found one Zod I'm basically relegating it to shelf queen status.

I'm just trying to figure out what's my next move.

I also feel a little forgotten because we're behind the online play somewhat. No sunder charms no terror zones.

I like the auradin concept. I'll check that out.

Reactions: BBS_Agonistes
PurePremium
Estimated market value
Low
High