Runeword bases

T72on1

Feb 12, 2016
Ok, so this is my current rune and runeword collection:

View attachment 11267

Obviously not nearly enough to complete the rune word grail (especially Jah runes are lacking), but too much not to do something with the runes I have.

So I am looking for suggestions as to which base items to make the missing runewords in. I don't really have any plans for them currently (which could dictate the base obviously), except for the BotD, which I might want to build a melee Necro around, synergizing the PN procs. In which case a 1H base probably is best. I suspect I'll also get some inspiration from @Grape 's cool builds and projects, but other than that I'm still mainly clueless to be honest.

Some of my choices:
Fury: +3LS Runic Talons
Silence: Mat Pike
BoTD: Colossus Blade
Memory: +3 ES staff (preferably a four square one)
Exile: 45@ Eth Sacred Targe, but I also have an ED one and a Vortex non Eth.

The armours mainly Archon Plates or Krakens (my favourite for looks).
The other weapons mainly two handed swords, especially Balrog Blades or Colossus Blades.

Edit: Plug, although it seems to be missing from the compendium: https://www.purediablo.com/forums/t...ul-lotr-themed-melee-daggermancer-ifr.813824/

Last edited:
An enchantress using ‘Eternity’ sounds pretty fun, never done one myself, but make it in a non-ethereal base so you can repair revive charges. I made one in a Caduceus, but it was ethereal.

An Auradin would check off ‘HoJ’ (phase blade) and ‘Dragon’ (whatever armor you prefer). Slower kill speed then I like, but there is something gratifying about killing everything you come across.

Edit: Damn phone...

I prefer to use elite bases and the fastest options becuse of my playstyle (not using them much). Lately I'm leaning towards criptic swords instead of pblades as bases.

Some specific suggestions:

Holy Thunder - caudecus/scepter with + to holy shock

Wind - an intresting option will be a staff with + to fire skills/blaze. You can also make one in a BA/scourge for frenzy barb or 2h for druid (feral rage)

Exile - eth vortex shield @45 all res only :p

Silence - bow for a strafer or something really crazy like thunder maul for blade fury assa....hmmmm.....

BoTD: Colossus Blade
Eth GPA all the way... which I actually did. I have another two Cham runes, so I could make another BotD in theory, but I don't think I will.

To add something: Death in an ettin axe lokks appealing, for a blade fury assassin.

Holy Thunder - caudecus/scepter with + to holy shock
In a Divine Scepter with +3 Holy Shock. Nice twinking weapon!
Fury - Only good in PvP Assassin claws as far as I'm concerned
Memory is pretty obvious. You want +3 ES 4 block staff. Shiver/Chilling armor is a nice bonus.
Silence - Hydra Bow. I like it for the looks over Crusader. Amazing niche Strafer weapon.
Bramble - Not something I'll ever use. But as all non-niche armors I use Archon Plates. Looks good on every character.
BotD - War Pike Chargerrrrr!!!!11 On a serious note BA, CS, GPA all work well.
Eternity - It really depends on the build you want to use it with.
Exile - eBugged @40+res Vortex. I would use Zakarum as well, I like the looks.
Famine - BA seems the only proper candidate to me. ATMA Bugged it could even be nice to use.
HoJ - Caduceus +Conviction; +Zeal; +Redemption. Mat Bow for Elemental Bowa.
Wind - Short Sword.
Brand - Mat Bow; Great Bow.
Destruction - Phase Blade for some Zeal/Smite/Kick fireworks. Eth Thresher for some merc fireworks.
Dragon - Any Armor + Pally Shield/Troll Nest/Dragon Shield (Yes, I really like the looks)
Ice - Mat Bow
Last Wish - Phase Blade
Lawbringer - Phase Blade; Eth Cryptic Sword for barb mercs. Caduceus with +3 HShock/HFreeze; +Zeal/Conviction
Pride - Pft.
Wrath - Pft x2.

Last edited:
Thanks. Some interesting options already.

A while ago, I even have been thinking about making a Sept (Rich Man's Sept, or something like that?) around some of the high end stuff I don't have yet, to make sure I'll actually be using those items. This is what I have come up with so far.

• Amazon: Ice FA/Strafe Zon, Faith on switch for CIs
  • Assassin: Fury + Chaos DC - I have already done a WW Sin and Bearsin
  • Barbarian: Eternity + Destruction / Famine Frenzy or WW; I know, I know, dual Grief would be better, but I don't see any other good options here except for slapping the highest possible damage options on him and whack things
  • Druid: Furywolf with Doom and Phoenix shield - I'm actually leveling this one up already, he's in Act 3 Hell
  • Necromancer:
    • Brand ranged Necro, synergizing BS procs
    • BotD melee Necro, synergizing PN procs
  • Paladin: BotD Charger, maybe Grief + Exile on switch for Smite backup
  • Sorceress: Hand of Justice + Dragon Enchantress (@Zylo Agreed that this setup would also make a lot of sense for a Paladin, but I already did an Auradin in my previous Sept; that and I don't see any other good options for the Sorc in this case)

Assuming Famine for the Barb and Brand for the Necro (which I'm leaning towards right now, if I would ever do this Sept), and cubing up runes from Lem up, I'd still need 3 Sur and 4 Jah runes (3 if I cube up to Ber) for the Sept. Disappointing, but not surprising, seeing how many runewords require Jah and how little Ber. Too bad I'm far better at finding Ber runes than Jah, although they are even more rare.

Obviously, if I were to do this Sept, it would greatly determine what I'd use for the runewords:

• Ice: +3 Matron Bow
  • Fury: 3os Claw, I'd have to check ias breakpoints to see which base is best
  • Eternity: since I'd pair it with Famine, eth BA I guess
  • Famine: BA
  • Brand: Diamond Bow for best attack speed (10 FPA), focusing on BS procs, combined with better physical damage than the -10 bows; this would mean an Act 1 Rogue with Faith though and 45% off-weapon ias; alternatively I could use a Demon Crossbow, which would cap out at 11 FPA, but would give me the freedom to work with an Act 2 Might merc and only need minor off-weapon ias. Ideally this merc would have a Pride Polearm as weapon, but I'd have to luck out on another Cham for that
  • BotD: War Pike - a fellow Basiner with whom I used to play TCP/IP games made one of these; it was a sight to behold
  • Exile: Sacred Targe (highest block)
  • Hand of Justice: probably Phase Blade
  • Dragon: probably in a 3os Shield, not sure which one though

Hmm, seems like I got carried away :eek::rolleyes:.

An enchantress using ‘Eternity’ sounds pretty fun, never done one myself, but make it in a non-ethereal base so you can repair revive charges.
@Grape recently made one which seemed fun indeed!

Nice stash @T72on1. My 2 cents for a couple of runewords that I have made or am planning to make:
  • HoJ: I made it in a PB for my HoJ/2x Dragon Enchantress. faster attacks, in particular when combining with Dragon (which is likely) since focus will be on fire damage and applying that as quickly as possible. I was thinking about Caduceus for higher use of the ED bonus, and inherent skills for possible Auradin use. But he will also benefit from PB's quickness, and chances are if you want high physical damage, you will go with another weapon entirely.
  • Ice: Made it in a Mat Bow on my recent Ice FA/WF Strafer - similar to HoJ the focus is on speed, it's about elemental damage and applying that frequently.
  • Brand: I'd go non-Zon bow here, namely Diamond/Shadow/Ward. Synergies for Necro are interesting for example. The AD CtC could even be interesting for characters that are mostly melee.
  • Exile: Personally I'd go with Sacred Targe for highest block, as recently stated elsewhere. :)
  • BotD: Going to make one soon and not sure myself which base to use, but I am sure it's going to be 2 handed due to Grief just being too OP.
  • Pride: Made a GPA one recently for Bowazon, since it's the only build so far that I wanted to use it on and I'd hit fastest attack speed with remaining Merc gear. Thresher/GT could be more versatile, though I didn't see a situation where it would make a difference.

@krischan it depends what you want to do with it. It it is just for a WW Barb, sure GPA works. Or stick it on a Merc, which seems a waste.

Colossus Blade hits 7FPA in on an Bearzon, GPA only manages 9FPA. Similar differences on other characters.

Colossus Blade can be used one handed, so opens up Frenzy and other builds where you may want something else off hand.

Not to mention heroes use swords, sidekicks use polearms ;)

+1 for the 'Eternity' Revive Enchantress. It really was kinda funny build!

Some other choices I made:

• 'Wrath' Great Bow. I've used it twice on a merc and love it. Recently with the last Zod God character (Daggerzon) and a Fendazon couple years back or so.
  • 'Pride' eth Thresher. Merc has it when I want bigger damage numbers. Should've waited for 1.07 base back then, mainly for little bit better leech (more damage in it).
  • 'Last Wish' Phase Blade. Thought then I'd use it on a kicker or something, ended up using it on my Martyr/Smiter. It worked really really well with that build. Could try it on off-hand with some Barb or something, dunno. Put it on an Act III merc :p
  • 'Dragon', I've 3xDragons: Dusk Shroud, Troll Nest and Sacred Targe. Dual Dragon Enchantress and Fire based Auradins were the builds. It's all good.
  • 'Ice' Matriarchal Bow. FA Zon is not the worst Travi runner either, only for fun of course, compared to those Sorcs and Barbs.
  • 'Brand' Demon Crossbow, I've been meaning to put in on a Necromancer.
  • 'Destruction' Phase Blade. I had it on Hydra Casting Zealot. Fireworks!
  • 'Wind' some random just for the Grail. Maybe put it on some character you want to run as fast as possible with. No other uses really.
  • 'Hand of Justice' good ol' Phase Blade. Used it on a fire based Auradin. That build was made before I wrote Mat/Pat threads btw.
  • 'Famine' Legedary Mallet. It was used by my Zod God Sept's Barbarian. I think Famine would actually make a really decent Blade Fury weapon. 15%ED eth 1.07 Legendary Mallet as a base ofc ;) it has the ever important Jah with its "ignores target defense" in it, I've read that mod is quite sought after for BF Sins.
  • 'Exile' eth bugged Sacred Targe and Vortex Shield. Used the STarge.
  • BotD Colossus Blade. I think I meant to use it in Woflbarb, but I went a different route in the end. Ran few hundrer Travi runs using it on a Zealot, that's about it. A bit shame. BotD in a spear would make a tremendous Fendazon weapon.
  • 'Bramble' Dusk Shroud. Never used though. I keep hoping I'll score a Sur in 1.07, and make a Beta one in 1.10s.
  • 'Fury' Fanged Knife. Will use at some point. Eth Suwayyah +3BF would be neat for a Furysin. Furysin, get it?? :D

(BotD CB advantages)
You are right. Most BotDs during my bnet times actually were CBs. I meant to mention an alternative.

Thanks again for the replies everyone. So many good options. Now to find the runes for those ...

I'm still kind of sold to the idea of doing a Sept around some of those high end items. The only real issues I see are 1) Barb options are meh (unless I consider options I have already made - plain dual Grief (I don't have a Trav Barb after all), Grief + something else, Death + Beast, ...), 2) some classes have more than 1 option and 3) Septs tend to consume quite some time, not only playing but also writing about them. Right now, or at least after I finish my 99er, I feel like just playing whatever I like, and only that, playing the game instead of writing about it.

Time will tell ...

Thanks again for the replies everyone. So many good options. Now to find the runes for those ...

I'm still kind of sold to the idea of doing a Sept around some of those high end items. The only real issues I see are 1) Barb options are meh (unless I consider options I have already made - plain dual Grief (I don't have a Trav Barb after all), Grief + something else, Death + Beast, ...), 2) some classes have more than 1 option and 3) Septs tend to consume quite some time, not only playing but also writing about them. Right now, or at least after I finish my 99er, I feel like just playing whatever I like, and only that, playing the game instead of writing about it.

Time will tell ...

Write when you feel like writing - it is rewarding but exhausting.

Play when you just want to play.

PurePremium
Estimated market value
Low
High