RFO and Zodthon: Planning Stage

Grape1

Mar 24, 2007
Hello everybody!

There's been some interest lately in the D2 lounge to have one or both of the mentioned tournaments in the near future.

Even though I'm going to host only the other (Zodthon) I went ahead and decided to open this thread, so that as many people as possible sees this. RFO specific questions can be probably best answered by the Gripgod @Gripphon himself.

Few questions:

1) Would you like to participate in RFO or Zodthon, or both?
2) Which one would you like to participate first?
3) When would be the best time for you to play in it/these?
4) Anything else? Let's discuss! :)

If you're not familiar with the conpets of RFO or Zodthon, these links will help you.

1) both
2) doesn't really matter to me, but if I had to pick probably RFO
3) Ideally after January, but no matter when it is I'll find some time ;)

either, if it has 1.07 cows included :D

Making reasonable scoring for 1.07 could be a problem. But I'm sure no one is against if you compete with us with the same scoring :D

Seriously though, I think the item category we had the last time was a nice add. I see no reason why items from 1.07 cows wouldn't work for that.

think of it this way: 1.07 players have a 98% chance of losing horribly and a 2% chance of being impossible to beat

Just wanted to add I already did 1.07 scoring for first two RFO's, at least for Travincal. I didn't check do runes have different rates of rarity in 1.07 depending on area, but in 1.13 and 1.14 for example Ber is always similarly rarer to Jah regardless of area (unless Jah can't drop in certain areas and obviously LK is exception where rune rarity is completely different than in the rest of the game).

1) Both
2) No preference, really. Maybe RFO first?
3) During January preferred, but I can find time later too.

Also, +1 vote for letting pharphis (and others who feel like it) run 1.07 cows, at least for Zodthon. Don't really care about the scoring, I'm just curious what he can come up with ;)

I'd do it if you have RoF RFO category.
Not sure that I can commit 20 hours.

1) Both
2) Maybe Zodthon, since RFO (at least the example linked) is Travincal only?
3) January please, my 99 running Hammerdin needs to level up to 98 before messing around in RFO :p

4) As a player who doesn't trade at all, my interests will immediately fade if the competition prizes are like "Pick items from other users". So, consider having a separate competition/category for people not willing to give up runes they find?

1) Both
2) RFO

@Neksja I don't think RFO has to be Travincal only, they just did it like that last time. I do think that Travincal runner has far better chances of winning. At least if I understood previous explanations by Gripphon correctly.

3) Early February, or mid - end of January
4) I prefer tournaments where the time frame is the same for everyone. So for example each entry can only run target for 20 hours. More entries are of course allowed. This way people who have a lot of time to run, can do so, but the ones who don't, or don't want to, have a fair shot at victory as well. As fair as can be of course, if Gripgod himself enters the tournament too ...

I wouldn't mind giving up any items to the winner, except for runes. Last time with the RFO it was best 5 non-rune finds, so that was a good system for me personally.

RFO was designed to be Travincal-only type of thing for a better balance of odds for everyone. I'm willing to allow other non-LK non-Countess areas to be played and would add Zod into a scoring board then, but principle of playing will be the same - 20 hours limit per playing set and Runes above Um are counted for the score.

Idea: there could be one ultimate RFO type of tournament where areas like that are allowed, and it could have both RFO and Zodthon type of scoring system, though I imagine that, unless someone finds Zod, same person could win on both scoring systems. It would be some kind of mix between RFO and Zodthon, though in principle it would be ultimate rune-find-olympics - 1.07 included.

Just wanted to point out that I have put trade profile as requirement for last Zodthon since I had prize system in mind. Now it doesn't need to be like that nor does it need to have any prize system at all. If this ultimate RFO idea comes alive, I assume it will be free for anyone to play without any trade profile requirement nor prize system involved.

Ultimate RFO

Kind of has a ring to it lol. Ultimate comes as superlative of "Zodthon", and RFO is general term for best kind of tournament ever!

Opinions are welcome for:
1) should Zodthon and RFO perform fusion dance like Vegeta and Goku into some kind of Ultimate RFO?
2) if there are more imaginative kewl names for that kind of tourney, bring them on

As a current Zod torchleader, @Grape could host that kind of tournament if it comes to live, if he agrees with it. It is basically Zodthon with addition. Also I'm not sure about my activity so it would be cool that someone more active on playing field to take over tournaments in general.

Last edited:
Sounds like a plan. If I understand the concept correctly, I'd split my time between cows and Travincal, I think.

Idea would be to play 20 hours per set, while not limiting that set to only one area. You can combine whatever you like for those 20 hours of playing.

I would be game for RFOlympics, 20 hours at Travincal, 20 hours at Moo Moo Farm and 20 hours at any A85 area, to be completed with a same character, time frame would obviously be longer than 2 weeks though :)

I'm interested. Doesn't matter which first or if combined.
I think I am away in week 4, so would prefer to avoid the end of Jan.

I would be game for RFOlympics, 20 hours at Travincal, 20 hours at Moo Moo Farm and 20 hours at any A85 area, to be completed with a same character, time frame would obviously be longer than 2 weeks though :)

Something along these lines intrigues me the most. It feels a bit overwhelming to choose between every area of the game just for 20 hours. But I'm on board with Ultimate RFO (Rune-A-Thon Ultimate? RFO: The Zodthoning?) whatever the format :)

If its gonna be ultimate, then gotta make it ultimate indeed!

Suggested ruleset:

1) Any area can be run apart from LK superchests and Countess (because odds there are different than in the rest of the game)

2) Running time is divided into sets of which every lasts 20 hours maximum. Each player can do as many sets as he would like during the tournament, but they should in some way keep track of playing time (via clock of any kind, there are online clocks too, or you can use runcounter)

3) Sets are not connected to certain character or certain area. This means during their 20 hour set, players can combine characters and areas in any way they like.

4) Once set is started, you must finish it full 20 hours before you start another set (optional rule to prevent players from restarting sets until they find first rune and declare "from this moment on this set will count toward my score!"). Argument against this rule is that players might wanna keep sets separate between characters or running areas, and this rule disables that option since player is clearly forced to finish his set before starting a new one.

5) Cubing runes into higher ones is not allowed. In other words don't cube Pul runes into Um to get score.

6) You can play 1.07 and 1.13+ and combine them as you wish.

Scoring:

1.13 version:
Mal 5.0
Um 5.1
Gul 7.1
Ist 7.5
Ohm 10.1
Vex 10.6
Sur 13.7
Lo 15.1
Jah 18.3
Ber 20.5
Cham 27.5
Zod 71.8

1.07 version:
Um 13.4
Mal 17.8
Ist 26.8
Gul 35.6
Vex 53.4
Ohm 70.6
Lo 106.0
Sur 142.3
Ber 213.4
Jo 284.3
Cham 426.4
Zod (you really need score for this one?!) (in ATMA calculator it seems Cham is harder to find than Zod? ISO comparison for Zod vs Cham in 1.07)

Scoring system 1: RFO system
All Um+ runes are counted and summed up for a total score for each set individually

Scoring system 2: Zodthon system
Top 5 runes per set are counted toward final score for each set individually

Both scoring systems are applied.

Playing time: total of 1 month? I hope players won't forget about the tournament this long, it can seem too long like that :D

Opinions?

PurePremium
Estimated market value
Low
High