pure light mf

Re: pure light mf

Would it be better to swap out eschutas with occu, since occu gives both mf and +res all? eshutas gives no -enemy lightning resistance.

spirit 35% + arach 20% + griffons 25% + occu 30% = 105% that means magefist is now required for the 117% breakpoint if my calculations are correct.

You could do that, but occy is only 30% FCR so you'd have to either use magefist (defeating the point, since you'd lose 40% MF from chancies) or swap the mara for a much more spendy 2/10 ammy with resists (and maybe MF too, if you can swing it).

You pick up some resists from occy, so if your 2/10 ammy has fire resist that solves that issue without having to infringe on your charm space or boot slot, leaving those for MF.

You could do that, but occy is only 30% FCR so you'd have to either use magefist (defeating the point, since you'd lose 40% MF from chancies) or swap the mara for a much more spendy 2/10 ammy with resists (and maybe MF too, if you can swing it).

You pick up some resists from occy, so if your 2/10 ammy has fire resist that solves that issue without having to infringe on your charm space or boot slot, leaving those for MF.

Perfect chancies are 40% MF, whereas Occy is 50%, hence there is a small 10% MF bonus with occy. Appart from that, Occy gives +20 res all as well as some additional bonuses, same goes for Magefist. Chanceguards and Eshutas only have a small advantage in +15% skill damage.

So, it basically comes down to this.

+15% lightning skill damage vs +20 res all, 10% mf, +25 mana reg, +1 to warmth, +20 vitality, +20 energy, +20% ED.

Edit: You could add a lightning facet in Occy, and that basically eliminates eshutas/chancies completely.

Given that you've already stated that budget is not an issue, a 2/10 ammy is clearly a better solution than magefist, getting you 50 MF (occy) + 40 MF (chancies) + 50 MF (WT) + charms and whatever is on your 2/10 ammy.

I personally find the teleport on occy aggravating, but if it doesn't bother you, it is a good way to get a little more MF in the build.

Switching out Maras with a 2/10 ammy would leave my resistances miserable, unless of course we are talking a 2/10 ammy with massive fire resistance. With occy/maras I can just barely make it.

Well you said regardless of cost, so why not a 2/10 ammy with 20 res all, 40 res fire, 25 MF, and 30 strength? (or as close to that as you can locate)

Well yeah obviously if you find one for trade it probably won't be perfect on all stats, but you get the idea. I roll a lot of caster amulets, and while I haven't had anything quite that good pop up, I've gotten pretty close (sans strength, and a few points shy on res and mf).

Another option is to go with Hoto, since it gives a massive +38 res all. That basically means, that I could add a low maras and low-res anni and my resistances would still be maxed. With occy, I can just barely make it. It's going to be either occy or hoto, eschutas does not give any MF or resistances, and the +14% lightning skill damage doesn't do much on my sorc anyway. I'm not going for a godly ammy, I want to spend my most godly items on PvP.

@Magic - You say griffons is essential to a PvM light build, but I don't use one at all and tear through everything no problem. Including light immunes after they are broken. So I guess I could be going through them even faster? Because currently nothing gives me any issues, chaos, baals, anything. Obviously adding a griffs would help, but I'm not quite sure its essential to the build, especially if he was going for a "pure light mf" as the title states.

But it appears he may have changed his mind on the MF part, since his set up will be very slim in the MF area. Anyways, great ideas for the builds, just wanted to add my thoughts about the griffs.

The only reason not to wear griffon's is if you're going full tal's, but full tal's just isn't that good for light. You end up with really low +skill because you can't use SoJs, plus tal's is already short on skills.

I'm sure you kill stuff fine - you can use sub-optimal gear and still murder in D2, but you'd kill stuff (particularly lightning immunes) better with griffon's.

Am i missing something here? Magefist (20%) + Hoto/eshutas (40%) + Arach (20%) + Spirit (35%) = 115%. That's exactly 2% less than what is required to hit the 117% breakpoint. So, Griffon's is basically the only option to the 117% breakpoint as I see it.

Well, you could use a cheap caster ammy, only needs to be 2 skill and 2% fcr, but yeah, griffon's is just really really good, for the FCR, but even more so for the -light res.

If you're really hell bent on avoiding griffon's and you still want to hit the 117fcr break without substituting in a 2/10 ammy or any 10fcr rings, you could go to Wizardspike at 50fcr and also pickup 75 to all resists. It would also give you a 15% mana boost and another 15% to mana regeneration. Of course you'll loose the -elr from griffs and the +skills from hoto, occy, or eschutas. However since you're picking up all those extra resists you could switch out the coh with a vipermagi to pickup the fcr again. and even drop the magefists now....hehe.....

In other words, yeah, there's a lot ways to play it. I can tell you first hand though that this setup below works very, very well in PvM

mara
griffs (facet)
coh
eschuta (facet)
32+fcr spirit
frosties
arachnid
tri-res boots (or dual res, or even just fire resist)
2xSOJ
Torch/Anni
6xlightning skillers (with life if you can get them)
cta/spirit on switch

andy/fort/infintiy on merc

you'll hit 117+fcr and easily full resists. if you want to hit the 60fhr break you can throw on a 5fhr small charm (spirit gives you 55fhr).

Your mf will be low, but I agree with magicrectangle that's a good thing at this point of ladder as I'd think you'd be more interested in socketables, runes and the occasional uber rare. You'll go through almost everything like butter.

I've been running this setup most of this ladder and it's been great.

I just swapped coh out with viperskin to get the 117% breakpoint and there is absolutely no dfiference, what am I doing wrong?

Am i missing something here? Magefist (20%) + Hoto/eshutas (40%) + Arach (20%) + Spirit (35%) = 115%. That's exactly 2% less than what is required to hit the 117% breakpoint. So, Griffon's is basically the only option to the 117% breakpoint as I see it.

Well you could...

use an amulet with FCR
use a ring with FCR
use armour with FCR
use a rare/magic circlet with FCR
use a weapon with more FCR

So yeah, you are missing something.

I just swapped coh out with viperskin to get the 117% breakpoint and there is absolutely no dfiference, what am I doing wrong?

117 is just for lightning, it won't change your teleport speed, but lightning is definitely faster with the 117 FCR breakpoint. Lightning is 12 frames instead of 13 with 117 FCR, IE it is 8.3% faster. It doesn't feel very fast if you're used to skills like fireball with much quicker cast times (and different breakpoints) but it is a significant difference.

I see now, there is a slight improvement with Vipermagi with FCR (when using lightning), but it is very, very insignificant, almost unnoticeable. I'm not sure if it's worth it. It's probably something that I'd prioritize very low.

use an amulet with FCR
use a ring with FCR
use armour with FCR
use a rare/magic circlet with FCR
use a weapon with more FCR

Such a an amulet would be spendy, I cannot swap out my SoJs, since i need the +skills, switching out coh with a FCR armor would leave resistances miserable, switching out Shako would leave MF miserable, switching out Occy would do the same, plus I would loose the +3 skills, so no, I am not missing your suggestions here.

I may (or may not) have found a work-around, though. Shako + Occy + coh + wt + magefist + maras + spirit + arach + sojs. This doesn't give me the 117% breakpoint, but it gives decent kill-speed and decent MF. Put Ist in both shako and occy. The resistances will be maxed as well, however I found out that it comes down to three deciding items: anni, torch and maras. With a +20 res all torch, and perfect maras, the +res stats on anni would be irrellevant, since they would be maxed regardless of it being +10 or +20. You could probably try mixing it up with something like +18 torch, +28 maras, then +14 anni. But then again, a 10% bonus xp anni is probably more important than the +resistances. If this setup had just +5 more res all, it would be as close to perfect as possible (except for the 117% FCR).

Last edited:
PurePremium
Estimated market value
Low
High