pure light mf

Re: pure light mf

This thread has been an interesting read. I've been perfecting my light sorc for a while now, and just recently got the missing piece to the puzzle, griffons. Holy cow! The difference is insane!

I mostly run bosses plus the pit and mausoleum. The build I've had the best results with is:

Griff with a 5/4 facet
maras 28
COH
spirit monarch
ali baba double isted
magefists
arachs
war travelers
nagel ring 28mf
bk (until I get Soj)

On switch
CTA 4bo
spirit shield

With my sc and gheeds I'm over 300 mf

If I'm doing wsk and cs I swap baba for eschutas and am planning on putting a 5/5 facet in it, and swap the navel for another bk

This build has been fantastic for me! Just need better armor (eth fort, most likely) for my merc

I am prob going to make an Lsorc, I have all the gear for it now! Im debating on full ES or no es though...

I 1pointed ES and with my skill mods it works well, it comes down to personal preference. I prefer to spend the skill points eelsewhere myself.

Basically have al the gear now, but I have been reading that HOTO > Eschuata's. Hmm decisions...

Basically have al the gear now, but I have been reading that HOTO > Eschuata's. Hmm decisions...

I guess it depends on what you're trying to accomplish. I like esch. b/c you can socket it to get more out of it (5/5 light facet, ist, um, etc.) but HOTO is solid too.

I personally use Esch. but I just rolled a HOTO for my MF HDIN and I'll likely try it out on my sorc first until the din is lvled

The decision normally isn't between Hoto and Eschuta's but is normally between Hoto and Occy. Eschuta's seems nice on paper, but the boost to electric damage is normally lost among the lightning mastery. The -5 resistance from facet is really going to make more difference then the 20% bonus from eschuta, and if you can stand the ctc teleport on Occy its really not that bad of a choice because you gain res and magicfind over using eschuta.

I disagree there, Pyro. Escuta's for a light Sorc is, by far, the best weapon to use. Better than HotO and most certainly better than Occy.

Why? Like he said, its +dmg% doesn't make much of a contribution, and there's Occy if you're after the facet's ELR. For PvP you'll obviously try to squeeze as much damage in as possible, or you might find Occy's teleport unbearable or not need the res on HotO. But "by far the best", no.

Sorry Solar, I'm with Hubb on this one, if I'm really going all out for damage I may consider Eschuta, but if I was "truely" going all out, I would consider a sword stuffed with facets or more likely a cresent moon sword before I consider Eschuta due to the large boost to -Enemy Resistance that both of them would provide. Also, Eschuta's stats are varied which means getting that perfect 3/20 version and then adding in that perfect 5/-5 facet is much less likely then me finding an um rune to stick into cresent moon.

Well I have a 3/20 ... Ill try it then make a hoto and try that. can't hurt right?
I have read all that though, the 20% Ldmg is not much in comparison to the HoTo mods.

Best way to tell is to test em out :)

Af a certain point it's splitting hairs anyways, so whatever your personal preference is, go with it

HotO can not be socketed with a Facet for more -res and +dmg. Admittedly, the +dmg does not give too much, but it is damage nonetheless. Overkill? Perhaps but more damage is better than less. Resists can be taken care of with CoH/Um'd Viper, Spirit, Mara's, Res SC's. PvP is another story altogether and Res > Dmg there in many cases.

Sure, if you have the materials, give it a shot. I know that 3/20 eschuta's trade pretty well on bnet (are you playing on bnet?) if you decide you don't like it. Still though the extra 25% light damage is what? Two levels of lightning mastery? Hardly anything in comparison.

What I see:

Hoto:
36 res
10 dex
15% mana

Eschutas
+25% Light dmg
-5% ELR
26 energy

... I made the HoTo, so I'll test it and see. I run CoH, so I have a good chunk of res already.
Also, at one point I was offered 4 HRs for my eschuta's so I may sell it if I don't seem it to be necessary, since it's worth more to sell, then to use.

EDIT: Survival is key and that is what HoTo give. 37 res I rolled on a second one, the 15% mana is more than the energy Eschuta gives. It's no comparison, granted the res and mana are your problem.

No doubt the Eschuta's would do more damage, but if I die, then is it worth it?

Last edited:
PurePremium
Estimated market value
Low
High