pure light mf

May 20, 2007
pure light mf

There are simply too many options to choose from gear wise.

But these are going to be a part of my build:

wt,mage,sojs,arach,maras.

The rest I have no idea about. There are enigma,ormus,viperskin,occu,hoto,spirit,stormshield,shako,griffons, way too much to choose from. I just want to know what is the definitive best, regardless of wealth.

Re: pure light mf

Well. I'll tell you my gear, I'm a pure light sorc and I use her mainly to MF. But, if you are going to be a pure light sorc and MF in hell, it is a very good idea to have a merc with an infinity to break the light immunes. Seeing as lightning will be your only source of damage besides the merc. A might merc is a good idea, that way they can deal a bit more damage to light immunes if you end up not getting an infinity. I run through hell chaos no problem at all.

Gloves - Magefist
Boots - Travs
Armor - Tals armor socketed with Ral rune for extra fire res
Ammy- Maras
Ring - 30mf nagel
Ring - 10%FCR/18%MF/25cold res/8res the rest
Weapon - Occy socketed with a 5/5 light facet
Helm - Shako
Shield - Spirit Monarch
Belt - Arachs

Now on top of this I also carry a few lightning gc's, an anni, and a torch. So that adds to the +skill level as well.

Enigma is not really needed, it does give +2 skills but you already have teleport, so if you wanted the +2 skills I'd wear a CoH instead. Vipermagi is a great armor, I used it in hell for a very very long time. I up'd mine though, so it had around 850-900 defense. Hoto will give you an extra skill point, but no MF. Spirit over SS any day of the week as far as shield goes. As far as griffons goes, it adds damage to the lightning, but lacks the +2 skills, MF, life and mana adds, and the 10% DR that shako gives you. So it all depends on what which direction you want to take her. Add damage and have less MF, or add MF and have less damage. I do about 30k lightning, around 11k chain lightning.

You are right, griffons is probably only for pvp. Shako is better for PvM and mfing. I already have infinity. Enigma is not a bad choice though. It gives DR,MF and 5% maximum life.

I have decided to use magefist,sojs,arach,wt,occu,spirit,maras,shako.

I need to find an armor, i have coh, but i dont know if vipermagi is better.

Last edited:

Pure Light is popular because it can kill just about anything.

However, breaking the immunities is just the first step. There is a cool guide in the stickies if you wish to learn more about the subject, but all you really need to know, practically, is that you need gear with -ELR (- enemy light resist) on it.

There are 5 sources of this mod:
- Griffon's Eye, 15-20% (don't care about +% dmg portion)
- Tal's Orb (partial set bonus), 15%
- Lightning facets, 3-5% (don't care about +% dmg portion)
- 'Crescent Moon' sword, 35%
- 'Infinity' Polearm, 45-55% (not applied to you if equipped on your merc)

Without any of the above, your light sorc is going to do crappy damage to quite a few mobs, as they will have very high lightning resistance (as high as 98%; yes, your 1-30k Lightning just dropped to 1-600) after having their immunity broken.

Now, there are -many- ways to build a MF pure Light sorc. The only fixed gear are 'Spirit' Monarch (don't go MB, you don't need it), Magefists (or Trangs, unless you really don't need the FCR such as in some HotO builds) and Arach (unless full Tal's). People usually do these combinations:

- Full Tal's (cheap, takes care of resists and MF, 105FCR bp with magies and p-Spirit, low BO lvl, less brute dmg than Unique/RW options)
- Griff + CM + Viper (very powerful vs broken immunes, meaning very good dmg on any foe that you can dmg, less brute dmg vs non-immunes, lower MF)
- Griff + HotO + CoH (biggest dmg, lower MF)
- 200 FCR (a very specific setup that you can look up; insane speed, best option imo if you can afford; lower MF)
- Shako + CM + Viper (might as well go with full Tal's)
- Shako + Occy + 3piece Tal's (avoid like the plague; this is okay-ish for Blizz sorcs but absolutely crap for pure light sorcs)

Facets go on wherever you can fit them unless you really don't need the extra -ELR (Griff/CM setups) or need Um for res. Do note that faceted Tal's won't give you full resale value on the facets. Still worth it; my 94 light sorc is still wearing those and running Baals.

Too many options, simply put. And i looked up the 200%FCR build and it doesnt make sense. I need one, simple build, not 10 different **** builds.

You're being reductive. There isn't one single best build. You need to know what you want. The two builds I PM'd you before you started this thread (the 200% FCR pure dps and the 117% FCR with some MF) are both quite good. You wouldn't really be going wrong with either of them.

If someone takes the time and effort to make a good post like Scud did, the least you could do is read it properly:
Now, there are -many- ways to build a MF pure Light sorc.

I consider these pretty good:

Griff's w Um
Tal amu
Tal weap w Ist
32 FCR Spirit Monarch
Tal armour w Um
Tal belt
Chancies
Arach
Aldur's or War Travs
Nagels and/or SoJs

OR

Griff's w -5 facet
Mara's
HotO
Vipermagi w -5 facet
Spirit Monarch
Chance Guards
Arach
War Travs
Nagels and/or SoJs

How about:

eschudas w/ lightning facet
vipermagi w/lightning facet
griffons w/ lightning facet
maras
spirit 35% fcr
wt
2x soj
arach
magefist

would this work?

You're way over 117 FCR. Swap magefist for frosties or chancies (if you want the MF). Swap vipermagi for CoH or 'nigma (if you want the MF).

Or, if you want 200 FCR, swap mara's for a 2/15+ caster ammy and one of the SoJs for a 10 FCR ring.

I don't know how to respond to that. Do you want me to just tell you what to do, so you don't have to think? Do this:

Griffon's (facet)
CoH
Arach
Eschuta (facet)
Spirit monarch 32% or higher
Chancies
Mara
2x SoJ
War travs
CtA/spirit switch
Torch+anni, light skillers, and fix fire res (which will be a little short because of spirit)

I don't know how to respond to that. Do you want me to just tell you what to do, so you don't have to think? Do this:

Griffon's (facet)
CoH
Arach
Eschuta (facet)
Chancies
Mara
2x SoJ
War travs
CtA/spirit switch
Torch+anni, light skillers, and fix fire res (which will be a little short because of spirit)

I had to laugh a little when I read through this thread. Having too many choices is what makes Sorceress builds so fun. You can just keep trying different variations until you find one you really like. My Lightning sorc wears almost exactly what your final suggestion here is although I use frosties and tr-res boots because I'm not too concerned about the MF like the OP. This setup is amazingly fast at killing. When you add a holy freeze merc wearing andy/fort/infinity there really isn't anything that stands in your way, at least PvM that is.

I gave this a lot of thinking and i decided to go with mysticcs build:

Griffon's (facet)
CoH
Arach
Eschuta (facet)
Chancies
Mara
2x SoJ
War travs
CtA/spirit switch

But switch chancies with magefist to reach the 117% breakpoint (for faster chainlightning). Only problem will be the fire res.

to fix the fire res issue, would it be better to swap up magefist with lavagout, or wt with hotspur (15% to maximum Fire Resist, +45% Fire Resist)

Sure, those seem great. Would be nice if it was strength instead of dex, and MF instead of rep life, but such boots would be spendy. If you're willing to spend a small fortune you can get caster tri-res boots with FRW and MF.

Plain old aldur's boots are pretty good too, if you're not going to get MF from the slot anyway.

Last edited:
PurePremium
Estimated market value
Low
High