Vildecor             Ilana          Val            1           0

Code:
[b]Competition #1 - Role(Barbarian), Race(Any), Align(Any), Gender(Any)[/b]
End Date for Creation of New Chars: [b]3/31/09, 11:59 PM local time[/b]

Forum Name           Char Name      Attempts      Score  Current Progress
----------           ---------      --------      -----  ----------------
Smips                Smips                 4      41037
NacRuno              Qual                 12      17040
CG                   Larzuk                3       6770  C15 D22 (ME,S,Q)
Hp_Sauce             Hp_Sauce              6       6383
TRM                  Moar                  1          0

Code:
Competition #2 - Role(Priest), Race(Elf), Align(Chaotic), Gender(Any)
End Date for Creation of New Chars: [b]4/15/09, 11:59 PM local time[/b]

OHG                  Joe                   3      35405
CG                   ?                     0          0

Code:
[b]Competition #3 - Role(Rogue), Race(Any), Align(Any), Gender(Female)[/b]
End Date for Creation of New Chars: [b]4/30/09, 11:59 PM local time[/b]

CG                   Kashya                1       2889

Okaaaay. Because I didn't know what NetHack was when I read the first couple posts of this thread, I basically ignored it. But when the thread kept gaining post after post, I figured I'd check it out to see what it was all about.

...Damn you all! ;)

I am so noob, it's not even funny; at best, I've only half understood the tips and tricks given here. Hopefully given a little time more information will sink in, but for now I'm basically wandering around and then dying to... well, everything, from fainting to traps to floating eyes to entering the mines WAY before I'm supposed to. :p My best score is somewhere around 3k, but all other attempts have garnered less than 300 points each. I think google searching is in my near future, but I wanted to express my growing interest in this unforgiving game.

I added my name to the Barb table. Wish me luck all! YASD will be an oft-used expression, I'm sure.

Re: OT: Nethack

Welcome to the the madness TRM :p. Don't worry too much, i still don't understand CG's last post but i am sure we will in a matter of time :D. Just search 'wikihack' in google and the first site comes up is pretty much all you need to get the basics and most of the details.

BTW postponing the priest and rogue deadlines was a good idea. I am eager to try my chance with those characters after i get the hang of things with the barbarian for a while longer.

A few quick questions, some copses give some resistances as far as i read. Do you receive a note for them all? (i know floating eye does) I just noticed having sleep resistance in my last char but have no idea how i acquired it.

Also many of you seem to be teleporting around freely, but can the barb cast such spells? I couldn't do anything with the few spells i found.

Last question, what is the best thing to do with unicorn horns. I read they are pretty valuable but do you just keep them to cure yourselves when needed?

Welcome to yet another quite addictive extremely old RPG.

A lot of useful specific information can be found at the nethack wiki (which is a relatively recent invention which I'm pretty pleased by), though, like most wikis you more or less have to know what you're looking for, but if you want to know what something you just ran in to does, this is an excellent place to look. There's a couple pages worth of spectacular spoilers on the topic which is the basis for most of the wiki - I don't have links memorized but they're pretty easy to find; basically everything links to them (including a variety of pages on the wiki, not to mention nethack.org). Sadly, there's probably twice as much raw text that could be considered nethack "guides" as there is d2 guides (and it's pretty much not overlapping - it's not like diablo where you only really need one build guide at a time), so even the spoilers aren't really going to tell you how to handle every situation unless you sit down to read for a long time. There are a few pretty good basic early-game spoilers on the spoiler pages, though, which are definitely a good idea to read through.

Additionally, the interior of my head could probably be considered another spoiler page (this is probably the game I know most about besides diablo, and I tend to get really in depth with games I enjoy for multiple years), so I'd be happy to answer any questions you happen to have - I can't really just spit out a general guide to the game (it's.. immense), but I can definitely tell you how to get past whatever situation is currently killing you (or tell you how to avoid getting in to the fatal situation in the future).

A couple general pieces of advice:
-Don't attack floating eyes in melee (unless you're blind). Throw things at them.
-If you see rothes or soldier ants, make sure you've got an escape route handy. Stairs work well - neither follow you up/down.
-Find the wall of text I wrote earlier regarding starvation and prayer. Food is likely to be your #1 problem.
-Stay unburdened via periodic stashes. If you want more information, find the wall of text I wrote earlier, but it really boils down to "stay unburdened".

If you follow these basic things, your game will end messily much less quickly.

-CG

edit: @NacRuno:
nac said:
stuff about gaining intrinsics from corpses
Sleep resistance (most commonly) comes from dead elves. You always get a message when you gain an intrinsic, though it's easy to miss messages in the spam. The sleep res message is "You feel wide awake". There are ways to get intrinsics (and extrinsics - same thing, but from an external source like a ring) besides corpses, btw. Gaining intrinsics from corpses is a bit more complicated than I want to go in to here, but there are extensive spoilers on the subject.

nac said:
teleport/spells on barbs
Everyone can use every spell. That being said, "non-spellcasters" can use every spell at a much lower success rate than "spellcasters". Barbs definitely fall into the "non-spellcaster" category - I would advise against anyone trying to actually cast any spells with a barb. However, magic doesn't really come from spells/spellbooks as often in this game as it might look like. Everyone equally can use scrolls of teleportation, wands of teleportation, and rings of teleportation. Additionally, there is a teleportation intrinsic you can gain by eating certain corpses (leprechauns and nymphs are the easiest). This is not really a good idea (IMO) unless you have teleport control - uncontrollably teleporting around can be unpleasant, inconvenient, and dangerous (particularly if you're shopping). Scrolls/wands of teleport are spectacular emergency items to keep around. In the late game when you've got both teleport and teleport control, it's an excellent way to cross distances quickly.

nac said:
unicorn horns
Unicorn horns are (arguably) the most useful item in the game. When (a)pplied, it will cure pretty much whatever's wrong with you. Get a horn ASAP (though be a bit careful, unicorns are really quick and can hurt, and never (yes, yes, there's limited exceptions) hurt a coaligned one). From the first time one drops, I keep it in my inventory for the rest of the game. It's also a not-entirely-bad weapon, though whatever a barb starts with is going to be better.

Rothes can be dangerous - they're kinda mini-soldier ants (quick, painful, and frequently spawning in groups),

Rothes, soldier ants, and giant beetles: things you think shouldn't be a problem but usually are.

(2) Gelatinous cubes (which are a bit higher level than you're going to deal with in the immediate future) eat stuff on the ground, which annoyingly includes chests.

Another thing I like to do is engrave "Elbereth" into the floor under my stash (or burn it into the floor). Most of the creatures you encounter in the dungeon "respect" Elbereth meaning they won't go onto a square with that word written on it. The also won't attack you. If you do use it to protect yourself, be aware that if you "write it in the dust", it won't last very long and if you engrave it, it might take several turns to write it. Since you can "rub it out" when standing on it, you can use levitation to keep from rubbing it out.

A couple other comments about encumberance:
-It is not necessary to lug around all kinds of assorted crap.

-Gold is heavy, particularly when you've got a lot of it.

-Heavy armor is rarely worthwhile.

Being burdened is significantly worse for your survival prospects than having a point or two worse AC.

-To the best of your ability, never, ever, ever be burdened (at least if you're doing anything other than carrying stuff back to drop off to your stash). If you are hauling crap back to a stash and you get into a fight with anything tougher than a newt, take a moment to (D)rop a bunch of stuff so you can fight in real time. I recommend (D)rop rather than (d)rop because with the capital you can drop many items in one turn.

Remaining unburdened is one of those things like prayer-for-food that, once you get used to it and embrace it, will substantially improve your game. It makes a very large difference.

I'll second all of these snippets and add the following.

1. Even though gold is heavy and not very useful in the end, you can use it to buy protection from a priest (CG mentioned earlier that he "lost his protection". He bought it from a priest)

2. Being burdened keeps you from being fast. In Nethack, you want to be fast. Avoid it at all costs when exploring. Still, the occasional "being burdened" isn't all bad because it "exercises" your strength and is one of the ways to get your strength scores higher. Pushing boulders around is another good way to exercise.

3. I like to carry bags with me when I'm burdened because you can drop a large weight easily in a battle.

...and welcome TRM.

Code:
-[B]SPF Leaderboard[/B]-
Forum Name           Char Name      Role    Attempts       Score
----------           ---------      ----    --------       -----
Smips                Smips          Bar            4       41037
CG                   Ormus          Pri            1       40631
OHG                  Joe            Pri            3       35405
NacRuno              Qual           Bar           12       17040
CG                   Larzuk         Bar            3        6770
Hp_Sauce             Hp_Sauce       Bar            6        6383
CG                   Kashya         Rog            1        2889

Code:

Hp_Sauce             Hp_Sauce              6       6383

Code:

CG                   Ormus                 1      40631

Code:

So, I got home from the bar and felt like playing a bit, but didn't feel like YASD'ing the barb, so I started a priest. It went well - nothing particularly eventful. Got through to mine town, got down to sokoban, was running around collecting stuff and money and ran in to a fairly nasty pile of monsters. I could have prayed to get out of it, but I didn't (I thought I had another turn left in me, sort of). Oh, well.

-CG

Code:
-[B]SPF Leaderboard[/B]-
Hp_Sauce             Hp_Sauce       Bar            8        9119

Code:

Hp_Sauce             Hp_Sauce              8       9119

Code:

Code:

Two tries ago I was annihilated by a monster that seemed to have spawned from a trap. He one hitted me. I believe I was still on the first level (maybe the second).

My most recent attempt was going well until I turned into a WereJackal and dropped all my equipment. I'm not sure how I became a WereJackal, but I think it was from eating a corpse (I became a cannibal at the same time). Anyway, I dragged myself through that level of the mines and into the next level, but every time I transformed back into human form I of course had not items (they were all on the ground upstairs).

I used the #monster command to call for help a few times, but they really didn't seem to do much helping (read: attacking). Mostly they just picked things up and dropped them.

Eventually I ended up trapped between two Wargs. In Werejackal form I had very little HP, and there wasn't much else to do aside from die.

This game is actually a sick joke, right? People talk about beating it or 'asending' but actually this is just the realization that it's impossible to survive. At this time the person joins the "other side" which is just the role if tricking people into playing it, and laughing behind their monitor?

-hps

My most recent attempt was going well until I turned into a WereJackal and dropped all my equipment. I'm not sure how I became a WereJackal, but I think it was from eating a corpse (I became a cannibal at the same time). Anyway, I dragged myself through that level of the mines and into the next level, but every time I transformed back into human form I of course had not items (they were all on the ground upstairs).

I used the #monster command to call for help a few times, but they really didn't seem to do much helping (read: attacking). Mostly they just picked things up and dropped them.

Eventually I ended up trapped between two Wargs. In Werejackal form I had very little HP, and there wasn't much else to do aside from die.

This game is actually a sick joke, right? People talk about beating it or 'asending' but actually this is just the realization that it's impossible to survive. At this time the person joins the "other side" which is just the role if tricking people into playing it, and laughing behind their monitor?

-hps

Yeah, don't eat any "were" corpses. If your human, it makes you a cannibal and you get polymorphed. As for your "sick joke" part, I didn't post this thread on April Fool's Day ;).

Oh, and welcome TRM! Just keep going at it, you'll get the feel for the game eventually. :)

You can also contract lycanthropy by being bitten by a werecreature that's in it's animal form. You'll get the message "You feel feverish". If you have a sprig of wolvesbane to eat or holy water to drink, this will cure it. Prayer will also cure lycanthropy (though it's not really guaranteed, it's quite likely - it counts as a "major" problem, in the same category as being weak or worse from hunger, and curing a "major" problem is generally the first thing a successful prayer will try to do).

BTW, cannibalism is bad. Were-creatures are considered human (as are keystone kops if you ever run in to them), just about everything else is obvious (if you're an elf, all elves will cause cannibalism, etc.) It isn't fatal to become a cannibal, but it significantly decreases your luck (which affects just about everything) and makes monsters dislike you. If you're an orc or a caveman, cannibalism does not matter - go ahead and eat whatever you want.

-CG

edit: My barb has just entered gehennom with pretty much a full ascension kit. I'm also slightly annoyed that I drunkenly killed off that priest last night - he would have gotten a good bit further had I been playing slowly.

edit2: Regarding "beating the game": while it is possible to beat the game, it is best to think of this is a high score game rather than an attempt to meet an arbitrary end point (ascension). Think of it like the first generation of video games that basically went on forever with no real "beating the game", and you just tried to get as high of a score as possible. Consider it a victory if your most recent high score was your lifetime best for that particular role.

Last edited:

Two tries ago I was annihilated by a monster that seemed to have spawned from a trap. He one hitted me. I believe I was still on the first level (maybe the second).

Maybe a poly-trap? Turns newts into dragons, dragons into jackels, etc.

My most recent attempt was going well until I turned into a WereJackal and dropped all my equipment. I'm not sure how I became a WereJackal, but I think it was from eating a corpse (I became a cannibal at the same time).

Bingo. Eating werefoo is an excellent way to become were- yourself. If you do manage to pick up lycanthropy, you can pray to get cured.

ha ha ha ha ha :tongue:

You figured us out! In all seriousness, the early game is the most difficult and once you master it, you will eventually ascend. For now, enjoy all of the various ways the game can get you. They really did include everything up to the kitchen sink and there are surprises all over the place. CG's advice is excellent for early survival. Try those things and just keep trying not to repeat the mistakes you've made in the past. I really doubt you'll munch on a werecreature again! I only did it once too :)

And yes, I have ascended in multiple versions with all classes except for Monk. My best monk in 3.3.0 probably would have ascended had it not been for Master Kaen spawning with an " of LS.
You kill Master Kaen. The amulet around Master Kaen's neck glows.

edit: man I'm a slow typer when trying to coral all of the kids. Pwned X2

Code:
-[B]SPF Leaderboard[/B]-

Code:

midnightvulture      Trogdor

Code:

Code:

I've been playing a bit since this thread started, and I'm really enjoying the game. My best progress so far was a level 11 valk that died an avoidable death in sokoban. I was fainting from hunger (must have been pushing the boulders around) and was trying to eat a tin when a lizard spawned and attacked me. I thought I'd just kill it before eating, but it almost killed me when I fainted several times during the combat. I did kill it, and ate enough to be fine, but a yeti spawned and pwned me while I was low HP. I tried to pray, but Tyr wasn't happy with me I guess. I should have just eaten before smacking the lizard, but at least I learned from it.

I added myself to the barb competition, I'll play a bit today and most likely die a bunch. Fun!

mv

Still thundering on, learning a few things as I went. Sometimes it's a slow process, though; it took me two hours to figure out how to display elapsed turns. :rolleyes: It's been a pretty fun ride so far.

@CG: Your tips for early survival (food & burden) have helped quite a bit. I'm on my sixth attempt and it's started to sink in; it's my first character to find the Oracle and Sokoban. Because I didn't know what Sokoban was before I got there, I went in very early and got caught up in wanting to solve the puzzles. I wasn't killed yet, but my pet is stuck behind a boulder. I know I can throw weapons and kill it, but that seems like a really bad idea... Now I know to leave my pet behind in the dungeon when attempting Sokoban! Looks like I'm headed to the mines without my pet... awww.

I'm finding myself wanting to ask a lot of questions all the time, but you're right about wikihack; by itself and with no former knowledge its rather confusing, but ask the right things at the right times and it's super useful. Great resource.

Code:
-[B]SPF Leaderboard[/B]-

Code:

CG                   Larzuk                3       6770  C21 D49 (ME,S,Q,C,V)

Code:

Code:

Well, I think I'm going to give the barb a break for the night. I've cleared gehennom, did Vlad, found the vibrating square. I'll save rodney and the ascension run until tomorrow. Maybe I'll give priest another shot.

-CG

Code:
-[B]SPF Leaderboard[/B]-
Smips                Smips          Bar            6       41037

Code:

Smips                Smips                 6      41037

Code:

Code:

Wow. I just got OHKO'd by a goblin with a Wand of Lightning on Dlvl 1. I'm pretty sure that's a sign to not play tonight =/.

Code:
-[B]SPF Leaderboard[/B]-

Code:

midnightvulture      Trogdor               3      55224

Code:

Code:

Trogdor was doing very well, trucking through the mines and laying waste to short things, when I bumped into a cockatrice corpse while blind. I forgot my telepathy didn't mean I could actually see. I died on dlvl 13 at clvl 11. I'd wound up deeper than I wanted to be faster than I thought due to some pit traps. I also foolishly stayed up all night playing, so maybe it's a good thing I died. Time for bed.

mv

Code:
-[B]SPF Leaderboard[/B]-
CG                   Larzuk         Bar            3     4354274A

Code:

CG                   Larzuk                3    4354274A

Code:

Code:

CG                   Kashya                2       2889  D10 C11 (S,MT)

So, Larzuk just ascended. Rodney and the ascension run themselves weren't particularly eventful (Rodney actually only reappeared once during the climb), but I did something extremely stupid while doing the prep. Apparently, magic resistance doesn't protect you from sink-based polymorphing (I generally completely ignore sinks, but I'd used literally every fountain in the dungeons and I wanted some more holy water to deal with all the cursing involved in an ascension run). So, long story short, no more hawaiian shirt or cloak of magic resistance. Fortunately, I had one wish left, so I got MR back, but I was still down a large amount of AC. I won't be screwing a round with sinks without unchanging and/or polymorph control ever again.

I also started a rogue last night instead of a priest. She had some strange luck with items in the dungeons (pick axe, dwarvish mithril, and a decent array of generic stuff without entering mines), prompting me to do things out of order with her - I did sokoban first, followed by minetown, and I've now gone back to the dungeons in search of an altar to convert (bag of holding from soko plus a cursed magic lamp could both use some holy water) before completing mine's end (I also have neither reflection nor MR at this point, and I'd like to have at least one before doing the second half of the mines).

-CG

@CG:
Gratz on ascending!

I did an "off the books" game last night with a priest to see what it was like. I was doing great, having found a Wand of Wishing very early. Then I(for some unknown reason) though it'd be a good idea to start attacking a spotted jelly. I guess since nothing was able to do damage to me up to that point(I think my AC was -8), but just stupidly attacked it a few times and got killed by it. YASD =/. Worst part is, I even had a spellbook of healing.

Code:
-[B]SPF Leaderboard[/B]-
CG                   Kashya         Rog            2      138880
midnightvulture      Trogdor        Bar            6       55224

Code:

Code:

Code:

CG                   Kashya                2     138880

Meh, just killed Kashya. I ran into a barracks on dlvl 17 (still no altar, I might add), but was able to scare up a cockatrice corpse before waking them up, so it was easy except for a captain that escaped before I got to him (he may have been a coincidental random spawn, since I didn't actually see anything escape from the barracks). He didn't kill me, but he did steal 8 of my 10 daggers before I had to teleport him away - prayer decided, rather than healing me from one-hit-from-death, to just bless my single +0 elven dagger I happened to be wielding. The captain, while responsible for my death, didn't actually kill me: while looking for him to get my daggers back, I got stuck between a troll and a leocrotta or something and didn't have enough damage output (or health - it was right after fighting something else) with only two daggers to be able to fight my way out.

So it goes.

-CG

Code:
-[B]SPF Leaderboard[/B]-
SiTro                SiTro          Bar            1           0

Code:

SiTro                SiTro                 1          0

Code:

Code:

Right, I'm in this one. Downloaded the program last thursday, played a few characters and left it alone over the weekend as I was away. Played another this morning, and reached the Gnomish Mines when I went down to the third level. I didn't realise it at the time of course, I just noticed that the tiles looked different. Died on the fourth level.

So, my first leaderboard entry starts...

Edit: Happened again. Second level of the dungeon, two down staircases. Is there an easy way to tell which one leads to a side area, or which one leads to a deeper in the dungeon? I had a quick check and both seem to be labelled as "DLevel=3". ???

Though, thinking about it, I think there were levels in ADOM that had two different paths through the same dungeon.

Last edited:

Meh, still interested in that, but less relevant now:

"SiTro,killed by a gecko, while helpless"

Lesson: Unless you can one-shot a floating eye, be very careful!

Code:
-[B]SPF Leaderboard[/B]-
SiTro                SiTro          Bar            1         706

Code:

SiTro                SiTro                 1        706

Code:

Code:

Happened again. Second level of the dungeon, two down staircases. Is there an easy way to tell which one leads to a side area, or which one leads to a deeper in the dungeon? I had a quick check and both seem to be labelled as "DLevel=3". ???

If the tiles look different than the normal dungeon, you're in a side area. I'm very new to the game myself, but I've learned that the Mines have the orange boulder-like walls and is always located between Dlvls 2-5, and that Sobokan is found on the Dlvl directly after the Oracle (right?). After that... well, I haven't seen after that yet! :grin:

Glad to have another Nethack noob on board. Looks like you and I will be direct competitors. All in good fun! Good luck; I'm sure we'll both need it. :thumbup:

edit: Concerning Floating Eyes, I was told that if you're blind their gaze is ineffective. Wisest course of action, though, is to steer clear! I learned that one the hard way, too. :doh:

PurePremium
Estimated market value
Low
High