OT: Nethack

Re: OT: Nethack

I didn't play last night because I was with the girlfriend, but I'll be giving it another shot again today.

For people having trouble with pets:
1) Don't abandon them. They're a hell of a lot tougher than you are in the early game.
2) Find more if you can. If you see any cats, dogs, or ponies in the dungeon, throw food at them. Sometimes they'll become a pet.
3) Try to find a magic whistle. If you (a)pply it, it brings all your pets within two squares of your position.

I used to ditch my pet when ever necessary as well. Maybe it was just coincidence, but in my last attempt I had three pets and quadrupled my last high score(they all died in Sokoban though...). They can be a little annoying at times, but they really do make the early game easier.

2) Find more if you can. If you see any cats, dogs, or ponies in the dungeon, throw food at them. Sometimes they'll become a pet.

I tried that one but failed each time. When i throw something other than dog food the animal just moves one square and the text says the food missed. Do other types of food work too?

For dogs and cats, tripe rations will cause them to become your pet (meatballs will, too, but they (IIRC) only come from the stone-to-flesh spell). For horses, carrots and apples will cause them to become your pet (tripe rations will not).

Also, someone mentioned earlier that picking up food was a good idea. This is partially true - if the food is considered a "treat" (tripe/meatballs for cats/dogs, apples/carrots for horses), then you should definitely do your best to get it into your inventory before the pet eats it (there is no difference between throwing something to your pet, picking it up and dropping it and letting your pet eat it, or picking it up and dropping it and waiting 10k turns and letting your pet eat it - if it's been in your inventory, it's gg). This raises something called "apport", which is your pet's likelihood to pick items up and drop them near you. For corpses and other non-treat food, it is completely irrelevant whether you pick it up or throw it or whatever.

I also strongly suggest doing your best to keep your pet at least through the early game (at least until you find an altar - being able to determine B/U/C is vital). They generally stop being particularly useful (barring certain situations) around clvl 8-9, though (especially if you have a magic whistle) if it's not causing you inconvenience, definitely keep them later. I personally tend to avoid going overboard with collecting new pets and just keep it at 1-3 (depending on how patient I'm feeling and if I have a magic whistle). Any more than that and it starts taking forever to coax them all down the stairs.

They are annoying to try to drag down stairs and keep nearby, but if you keep them around and pay attention to how they move, you'll find them much easier to handle. They're a lot like d2 mercenaries - there's certain behaviors you can have that will cause them to have certain behaviors. This is purely speculation on my part based on observations and may or may not actually be based in reality (but it works for me, so whatever), but they seem to be most likely to move towards you if you are visible to them and within 10ish squares of them, so when you want to change levels and bring your pet along, it's to your advantage to go hunt down the pet and walk them back to the stairs rather than just sitting there and waiting for them.

edit: Clarification regarding treats and apport: While having the item enter your inventory at any point is enough to generate the apport-raising effect, it is still to your advantage to throw the items to your pet at the appropriate times to raise apport. Having them eat previously-held treats from the ground is useful primarily in situations where you're in a shop containing tripe and you don't want to spend the money to buy the tripe, in which case you can feed your pet and raise your apport for free by picking up and dropping the tripe and letting your pet eat it off the ground. Apport is raised based on the amount of time since the pet last dropped an item and the distance that item was dropped from you, so the best practice is to wait until the pet drops an item within a couple squares of you and then immediately feed them (by throwing tripe at them).

-CG

Last edited:

@CG: I think plain food rations work as well. I think that's how I got one of mine last game. I could be wrong, but I think I remember reading it on wikihack.

Yeah, it looks like you're right. I apparently don't have a full list of the things you can throw at a dog/cat/horse to turn it in to a pet, but it appears at least food rations should work (I'd never bothered since I pretty much always consider having a food ration in reserve to be of more use than having yet another dog or cat - by the time I've got more food rations than I expect to need, dogs and cats are pointless). Thrown corpses may also work (though I want to think I tried that sometime about 8 years ago and it failed, granted that doesn't mean it hasn't changed since then). I can tell you that dogs and cats will not eat fruits or vegetables (evar), horses will not eat meat (evar), and none of the three will eat tins (evar). I think based on rereading a couple things that anything they will eat (possibly except corpses) will tame them if you throw it at them. If anyone experiments with things that aren't treats or food rations and manages to tame something, please let me know.

The rest of my post (treats/apport/etc) I'm pretty certain is accurate, for the record.

-CG

-Main dungeon until clvl 5-8 (depending on how strong I'm feeling and whether I'm playing something where the mines will be mostly peaceful and whether I have poison resistance (poison weapons, which mine denizens like, can instakill, as can poisoned spikes in pit traps))
-Mines to minetown
-Back to main dungeon until sokoban
-Sokoban
-80-90% of the time: back to mines until mines end; 10-20% of the time: stay in main dungeon until I feel like risking all the polytraps and other scary things in the bottom half of the mines.
-(if I haven't already), find an altar that doesn't have a non-coaligned priest next to it, convert it, make a lot of holy water.

That's about the same path I usually take as well. Even though the staircase to the Mines can show up as early as level 2, you're generally not ready for them when you first encounter them. Resist the Mines until you are ready.

I generally stay in the main dungeon until I find the Oracle, then go back to the Mines to Minetown. Depending on what I've found, I either finish the Mines or go back to the main dungeon. The "prize" at the bottom of the Mines is very useful, but, you don't really need it right away, especially if you die trying to get it.

Update: Barb #3 finished both mine's end and sokoban ("oR, yay) last night. I'm currently sitting in a temple on dlvl 22 trying to decide whether to try out the quest (with no magic resistance and relatively crappy equipment) or whether to dig past medusa and try the castle (with no levitation, no magic resistance and relatively crappy equipment). It's been essentially smooth sailing thusfar, but I've found far less than my usual quota of gear by this point in the game - I'm almost exclusively wearing +0-1 generic equipment - the only exceptions are a rusty +4 orcish helm (thanks, throne room), and a +0 cloak of invisibility (thanks, random drop). I pulled a cleaver from an altar, which is currently enchanted all the way up to +2 - both of the enchant weapon scrolls I've found so far (even though blessed) just gave +1. No enchant armors or anything. TBH I can't think of any other time when I've gotten this far in the dungeon without basically any endgame gear (unenchanted weapon aside). I'm gonna have some difficult decisions to make when I grab the wand out of the castle.

-CG

Very nice progress there. I'd make finding Magic Resistance a high priority at this point so the Castle is probably where I'd go next. Hopefully you'll have a chance or two to kill a gray dragon (if that's what you like for your armor) and get MR.

As for myself, Joe the Priest is now resting in Minetown. I really need to get myself Poison resistance so I'll probably head back to the main dungeon now. My dog died to some soldier ants (I had to use teleportation to get away from them and I just ended going from one side of the chain to the other side but close enough to the stairs to escape.)

About pets: Cats/Dogs like non-poisonous fresh meat; food rations if they're hungry. All non-tame cats/dogs are hungry. Horses like vegetables. wikihack is quite handy and a new addition to nh-spoilers since the last time I played.

I've had fantastic luck with thrones. First throne gave me my favorite +2 GDSM. A throne on the following level eradicated all of the Master Liches. For all you newcomers to the game, sitting on a throne can give very good things (wish/genocide) or very bad things (room full of monsters/cursed item/confusion/electrical shock)

Very nice progress there. I'd make finding Magic Resistance a high priority at this point so the Castle is probably where I'd go next. Hopefully you'll have a chance or two to kill a gray dragon (if that's what you like for your armor) and get MR.

Finding MR is definitely my #1 priority at the moment. I may well do the castle sometime this evening, but I'm hesitant for two reasons:

(1) No levitation, so bypassing medusa is a one way trip (though there's the chance of the boots on perseus, and there's the wand in the castle, but the boots aren't guaranteed and getting to the wand is what I'm worried about).

(2) No MR, and the castle has (guaranteed IIRC) liches and at least one titan. I have no intention of tanking a touch of death without MR. If I can take care of the liches/titan, I'll definitely be stopping in to the castle ASAP.

Sadly, though, the heart of ahriman provides a whole lot of nothing (though it could actually let me get through medusa's lair if I'm lucky), so I'm not really left with a lot of alternatives besides risking it. I may go ahead and do the quest first because when I was rereading today it doesn't really look like I've got anything to worry about from my lack of MR in the quest since I've got reflection, so even though the heart is basically useless, I might get some other useful toys from the trolls and ogres.

Honestly, I think my plan is to just screw around in the dungeon until some random drop gives me something I need (?oGenocide, =oLevitation, magic marker, cloak of MR, etc.).

-CG

edit: checked a couple things. The titan is on medusa's level, not the castle (and isn't actually guaranteed), so that's less of a problem. The liches also aren't strictly guaranteed, but there should be 2-3 on average (27 monsters with a roughly 1/10 chance each of being L). So, it's slightly less dire than I'd thought, but I still would very much prefer not to face liches without magic resistance. Plzgiebgenocidenaokthxbai.

Last edited:

Code:
-[B]SPF Leaderboard[/B]-
Forum Name           Char Name      Role    Attempts   Score
----------           ---------      ----    --------   -----
Smips                 Smips       Barbarian     3       5484
Vildecor              Ilana       Valkyrie      1          0

Code:
[b]Competition #1 - Role(Barbarian), Race(Any), Align(Any), Gender(Any)[/b]
End Date for Creation of New Chars: [b]3/31/09, 11:59 PM local time[/b]
Forum Name           Char Name      Attempts   Score
----------           ---------      --------   -----
Smips	                Smips             4     41037
NacRuno                Qual             12     17040
CG                     Larzuk            2      6770
Hp_Sauce               Hp_Sauce          4	 5956

Code:
Competition #2 - Role(Priest), Race(Elf), Align(Chaotic), Gender(Any)
End Date for Creation of New Chars: 3/31/09, 11:59 PM local time

CG                   ?                 1           0
OHG                  Joe               1           0

Code:
[b]Competition #3 - Role(Rogue), Race(Any), Align(Any), Gender(Female)[/b]

CG                   Kashya            1        2889

I died from the most stupid thing evar. Starvation in sokoban lvl4, a few steps away from filling the final hole, with 9 food ratios in the pack. I got too carried away at solving the level i guess :scratchchin:

I died from the most stupid thing evar. Starvation in sokoban lvl4, a few steps away from filling the final hole, with 9 food ratios in the pack. I got too carried away at solving the level i guess :scratchchin:

Hehe, sorry to hear it, though I'm glad to see you made it further than your previous attempts. It's easy to get carried away with what you're doing and forget to pay attention to other stuff (particularly in sokoban) - my stupid barb death #2 in this comp was on the last level of sokoban, where, with a large stack of daggers and a blindfold in my inventory, I decided (and I use the term "decided" loosely) to melee a floating eye. Naturally, a zombie of some sort spawned and walked up to say kthxbai while I was still frozen.

BTW, the technical term for something like this is "YASD" - yet another stupid death. I'm sure you can already appreciate why it's "yet another".

Speaking of comps, I think I'm going to extend rogue and priest for 2-4 weeks after barb ends, since atm basically nobody is playing either of them and this way there'll be actual competition. It's looking like most people aren't as ADD as I am with roles, so we should probably just stick to one comp at a time.

-CG

@Nac: Sorry to hear it. I know exactly what that's like though. I remember dying due to starvation once and didn't realize it, so I kept pounding keys until I read the screen :D.

@CG: Sounds like a good idea. Doing it that way will let everyone get some practice with the game first :).

My most recent attempt was by far my most successful, and fun.

I had looked after my pet well, and he was being fairly useful. Food was in no short supply (thanks to CG's write up about praying/eating), so I was busy taking items up 2 floors to drop them on an Altar. I had a bit of a run in with a Leprechaun though, after the second encounter he nearly cleaned me out and I decided I was going hunt him down and kill him. At some point I learned the teleport skill.. I believe it was when I ate the Leprechaun's body. Anyway, that's where the fun began. It went off at random times and took me to random places (I assume this is always how it works if you haven't got a ring of control teleport or whatever it's called).

It was fun to explore rooms I didn't even know where there. But eventually I ended up in an area that I couldn't get out of (I assume I didn't press (s) enough times in the correct place. My only option was to go down some stairs. That's where I encountered the Soldier Ants. I wasn't having troubles with any other monsters, so I paid very little attention to what was going on... and then I was dead! Oops.

I went and read about them after. Apparently they are very dangerous to new/inexperienced players because of their speed and numbers... Well yes, that describes me perfectly!

Lesson learned: Pay attention!

...snip...
(1) No levitation, so bypassing medusa is a one way trip (though there's the chance of the boots on perseus, and there's the wand in the castle, but the boots aren't guaranteed and getting to the wand is what I'm worried about).
...snip...

In an earlier attempt I found a pair of levitation boots on level 4ish. I had had really good luck with just putting on items (even though I know you shouldn't) in an earlier attempt, so I tried it again. In the end I think I died of starvation because I "couldn't reach the ground"... and of course, I couldn't take the boots off. Nor could I take my Orcish Helm off... and I had a two-handed sword welded to my hands.

Lesson learned: Really... listen to what people are saying!

Lastly, I would like to share an observation I have made about Nethack. The way it waits for you to take your turn before doing anything is really hard on my liver! In D2, you can't really stop to take a sip of beer because their might be monsters around... and I never let my left hand stray far from the potions/skills buttons (HC and all...) So there is only time to drink beer while in town really.

But not in Nethack, nope! You can sip your beer whenever you want. This results in Colin (that's me) becoming drunk fairly rapidly. :whistling:

Off to have another go!
-hps

But not in Nethack, nope! You can sip your beer whenever you want. This results in Colin (that's me) becoming drunk fairly rapidly. :whistling:

And it also results in more stupid deaths :D

And it also results in more stupid deaths :D

Yes... I wont argue with that! :yes:

I have a question though. I've been trying to find it elsewhere but it's eluding me.

How exactly do you throw food to your pet? When I press t it only gives me the option to throw sharp things. Am I missing something simple?

Thanks in advance!
-hps

Edit: I just got stunned by a door trap and killed my kitten before I realized what was going on... apparently I need to pay MORE attention!
I died shortly after that to a shopkeeper who seemed annoyed that I kicked down his door while he was doing inventory.

Last edited:

When (t)hrow is giving you a list of things to throw, it only shows you "weapons" (or other things designed to be thrown to hurt). At this prompt (and pretty much any other similar prompt), one of the options is "*". This will show you your entire inventory (in case you forgot what letter corresponds with what), so you can do "unusual" things (you can generally do pretty much everything to pretty much everything). All you have to do is press the letter that's assigned to tripe ration at the "throw what?" prompt, regardless of whether it's one of the listed letters in the main prompt.

Speaking of throwing, another handy related command is (Q)uiver, which lets you select something in your inventory to be automatically thrown when you use the (f)ire command. Handy for daggers/darts/arrows/etc. I wouldn't be surprised if it worked with tripe/food as well, if you want to get your ration ready for a quick toss.

Incidentally,
hp said:
something about carrying stuff up 2 floors to the altar
..just FYI, in my current barb game (until I found the temple on level 22), I was lugging things back up to my altar on dlvl 4, so that's 17 levels at the lowest. Frequently, I might add (I test every single piece of armor that drops for a slot I don't have something endgame in - you never know when that goblin's gonna be sporting a +5 helm). In past games I've had to do annoying things like carry an inventory full of gear up from dlvl 22 to dlvl 2 to enter the mines, then down to minetown just to B/U/C test. That's how important being able to determine B/U/C is, IMO. While I'm at it, if you find yourself in a similar situation, it is greatly useful to spend some time building direct paths from stair to stair with a pick axe or a dwarven mattock.

-CG

Was just three levels into the mines and got killed. No idea what it was though, since I was blinded. Whatever it was, it killed me in 3 hits(from 60 HP). Ah well. I'll update the table my next time around.

When (t)hrow is giving you a list of things to throw, it only shows you "weapons" (or other things designed to be thrown to hurt). At this prompt (and pretty much any other similar prompt), one of the options is "*". This will show you your entire inventory (in case you forgot what letter corresponds with what), so you can do "unusual" things (you can generally do pretty much everything to pretty much everything). All you have to do is press the letter that's assigned to tripe ration at the "throw what?" prompt, regardless of whether it's one of the listed letters in the main prompt.

Speaking of throwing, another handy related command is (Q)uiver, which lets you select something in your inventory to be automatically thrown when you use the (f)ire command. Handy for daggers/darts/arrows/etc. I wouldn't be surprised if it worked with tripe/food as well, if you want to get your ration ready for a quick toss.

Incidentally,

..just FYI, in my current barb game (until I found the temple on level 22), I was lugging things back up to my altar on dlvl 4, so that's 17 levels at the lowest. Frequently, I might add (I test every single piece of armor that drops for a slot I don't have something endgame in - you never know when that goblin's gonna be sporting a +5 helm). In past games I've had to do annoying things like carry an inventory full of gear up from dlvl 22 to dlvl 2 to enter the mines, then down to minetown just to B/U/C test. That's how important being able to determine B/U/C is, IMO. While I'm at it, if you find yourself in a similar situation, it is greatly useful to spend some time building direct paths from stair to stair with a pick axe or a dwarven mattock.

-CG

Thanks for the advice on the "*"... that would be the simple bit I was missing!

It's funny you mentioned a pick axe. It's one of the first things I carried up to B/U/C and it turned out to be U... I carried it back down and stashed it next to the other items while I carried them up to B/U/C. I was excited to use it because I've never found one before... Alas, somewhere around the 3rd trip the leprechaun/teleport thing began and I never quite made it back to the pick axe before I died. I was close a few times, but always though "oh, I'll grab that on the next trip"... that trip never came.

-hps

Code:
-[B]SPF Leaderboard[/B]-

Code:
Hp_Sauce               Hp_Sauce          6	 6383

Code:

OHG                  Joe               1           0

Code:

Slight increase in my best score (5956 - now 6386 (with 2 more attempts))

This time around things seemed to be going well.

I went into what I think is the mines (orange rock type walls, instead of brick walls), fell down a hole and was forced to explore both levels in order to get back up and find my kitten. It wasn't bad really. I found some items and some experience.

I even found a second pet this round, though I lost him a bit later to something (I don't know what) while I was blind/infravisioned (I think that's what I was suffering from at least...)

I was cruising around on D5 a little later on, on my way to an Altar on D4 to B/U/C some stuff when I ran into a Rothe and some rats. I've killed Rothe before, so it seemed OK. I was in a hall (only within range of the Rothe) and my kitten (now a Large Cat) was out in the room, tanking the Rothe and the two rats. I attacked the Rothe a few times and then noticed my HP was at 6 of 86... "wtf?" I thought. "Maybe I should run away?" But I decided to pray instead... assuming that would restore my health, but it did not.... I began to pray, and then was promptly killed by the Rothe.

I assumed prayer was instant, but this is not actually the case? Do you have to retreat first?

More useful observations about the game (rather than it's effect on my liver):

1) I find the lack of quests disturbing. Sometimes there seems to be more then one option for 'down' and I'm never too sure what I'm supposed to be doing and what is a side quest (or if there is even a difference for that matter!) Something that is learned in time I suppose, but no too helpful as a newb.

2) I've become more adept at handling my pet, but now I'm struggling with items. I'm almost always on the verge of being 'burdened' and often find myself staring at the item screen, wondering what to drop. Even with just a sword, armour, helm, boots, and a few bits of food it seems like my Barbarian can't carry much more. I don't want to drop things that aren't identified, because they might be useful. I don't want to drop things that are identified, because they might be useful. I don't want to drop sharp things I can throw, because they might be useful. Is there a sort of keep/leave basic rule? Or are you destine to run back and forth with leaving one item behind to carry another item, and then go back to get the first item, etc.?

-hps

Edit: Sorry for the double post
Edit2: Aww...

Last edited:

Code:
-[B]SPF Leaderboard[/B]-

Code:
Hp_Sauce               Hp_Sauce          6	 6383

Code:

OHG                  Joe               3       35405

Code:

Attempt 3 ended in disgrace in the Gnome King's Cellar. Things were progressing nicely. I had found myself a new pet who stumbled upon a polymorph trap and became a Couatl. Unfortunately, a fire elemental spawned on the level and I became trapped. I teleported away but that just put me in another corridor, far from the exit. The fire elemental chased me down, I used one prayer but alas, I didn't have enough in me to kill the elemental. Probably should have tried Elbereth since I had a hard gem available. Or tried to charm it with my charm monster spell. Oh well, DYWYPI?

I went into what I think is the mines (orange rock type walls, instead of brick walls), fell down a hole and was forced to explore both levels in order to get back up and find my kitten. It wasn't bad really. I found some items and some experience.

I don't know what the tiles look like, but the mines are a second set of down stairs somewhere between levels 2 and 5 (iirc). They are set up like a big cavern rather than the room-and-halls scheme of the dungeons.

hp said:
I was cruising around on D5 a little later on, on my way to an Altar on D4 to B/U/C some stuff when I ran into a Rothe and some rats. I've killed Rothe before, so it seemed OK. I was in a hall (only within range of the Rothe) and my kitten (now a Large Cat) was out in the room, tanking the Rothe and the two rats. I attacked the Rothe a few times and then noticed my HP was at 6 of 86... "wtf?" I thought. "Maybe I should run away?" But I decided to pray instead... assuming that would restore my health, but it did not.... I began to pray, and then was promptly killed by the Rothe.

I assumed prayer was instant, but this is not actually the case? Do you have to retreat first?

Rothes can be dangerous - they're kinda mini-soldier ants (quick, painful, and frequently spawning in groups), though I'm guessing in this situation you'd been hurt some other way and just didn't heal up enough - a few hits does not do 80 damage. It's wise to keep an eye on your HP even if there isn't something actively trying to kill you - you can greatly extend your life expectancy by resting for a couple hundred turns in certain situations.

Prayer is not instant, but (almost any) prayer that is going to be successful includes a brief invincibility during the prayer, so it is absolutely not necessary to retreat before praying (though if you consider yourself capable of successfully retreating far enough to get out of danger, doing so followed by some rest may be preferrable so your prayer is still available when retreat is not an option). Generally speaking, if you attempt to pray but fail to receive the prayer invincibility, it's because the prayer was going to fail anyways.

hp said:
1) I find the lack of quests disturbing. Sometimes there seems to be more then one option for 'down' and I'm never too sure what I'm supposed to be doing and what is a side quest (or if there is even a difference for that matter!) Something that is learned in time I suppose, but no too helpful as a newb.

There's a variety of "side" things (of varying degrees of hidden, and not all of which appear in every game) that are not strictly necessary to win - e.g. the mines or sokoban - but that are a good idea. IMO it's more or less worthwhile to try to full clear just about everything just about every game (you don't need to hunt down every last newt, and things will keep spawning so you're basically guaranteed to leave some monsters unkilled, but at least look at every room on every level). A few posts back, I posted the order in which I do the early game. I'd recommend following it for the moment - it's based on personal preference, so if you start finding it doesn't work for you, by all means, do stuff in a different order.

hp said:
2) I've become more adept at handling my pet, but now I'm struggling with items. I'm almost always on the verge of being 'burdened' and often find myself staring at the item screen, wondering what to drop. Even with just a sword, armour, helm, boots, and a few bits of food it seems like my Barbarian can't carry much more. I don't want to drop things that aren't identified, because they might be useful. I don't want to drop things that are identified, because they might be useful. I don't want to drop sharp things I can throw, because they might be useful. Is there a sort of keep/leave basic rule? Or are you destine to run back and forth with leaving one item behind to carry another item, and then go back to get the first item, etc.?

This is another big problem that newer players have, and that older players have, and that basically everyone has. The best practice here is to leave stashes for yourself every so often. Stuff on the ground (or, better, in a chest) will stay where it is permanently with two exceptions. Any level you're currently on, the monsters will be actively wandering around doing things. (1) If your stash is just on the ground, monsters with hands and other assorted body parts will pick up and use equipment. (2) Gelatinous cubes (which are a bit higher level than you're going to deal with in the immediate future) eat stuff on the ground, which annoyingly includes chests. However, none of this happens if you're not on the level with it, so what I generally do is just go up a level (or more if I've already got a stash in place, or I've got an altar or something) and make a pile right next to the down stairs. This way you never really spend any time on the level when you aren't immediately next to your stash, and you can access it easily.

A couple other comments about encumberance:
-It is not necessary to lug around all kinds of assorted crap. You pretty much should limit yourself to things you're actively planning on using (weapons/armor), utility stuff (pick axe/unicorn horn/etc), a bit of food (how much varies depending on how nourishing the corpses you're finding are), and a bit of emergency stuff in case you run in to something unexpected. Anything you're planning on using later (or that you need to identify) should be stashed until "later" comes up.

-Gold is heavy, particularly when you've got a lot of it. However, stashed gold doesn't help your score at the end. It's up to you whether you want to improve your chances of getting farther in the game by being less encumbered or whether you want to improve your score (assuming you die soon) by carrying around all your valuables.

-Heavy armor is rarely worthwhile. Basically splint, banded, and (bronze/crystal/regular) plate mail shouldn't really ever be used (if you've got a lot of strength and your alternative is leather, go for it, but in general stay away from the heavy armors). It's extremely difficult to remain unburdened even with no extraneous gear while wearing heavy armors. Being burdened is significantly worse for your survival prospects than having a point or two worse AC.

-To the best of your ability, never, ever, ever be burdened (at least if you're doing anything other than carrying stuff back to drop off to your stash). If you are hauling crap back to a stash and you get into a fight with anything tougher than a newt, take a moment to (D)rop a bunch of stuff so you can fight in real time. I recommend (D)rop rather than (d)rop because with the capital you can drop many items in one turn.

Remaining unburdened is one of those things like prayer-for-food that, once you get used to it and embrace it, will substantially improve your game. It makes a very large difference.

-CG

Code:
-[B]SPF Leaderboard[/B]-
Forum Name           Char Name      Role    Attempts       Score
----------           ---------      ----    --------       -----
Smips                Smips          Bar            4       41037
OHG                  Joe            Pri            3       35405
NacRuno              Qual           Bar           12       17040
CG                   Larzuk         Bar            3        6770
Hp_Sauce             Hp_Sauce       Bar            6        6383
CG                   Kashya         Rog            1        2889
Vildecor             Ilana          Val            1           0

Code:

Forum Name           Char Name      Attempts      Score  Current Progress
----------           ---------      --------      -----  ----------------
Smips                Smips                 4      41037
NacRuno              Qual                 12      17040
CG                   Larzuk                3       6770  C15 D22 (ME,S,Q)
Hp_Sauce             Hp_Sauce              6       6383

Code:
End Date for Creation of New Chars: [b]4/15/09, 11:59 PM local time[/b]

OHG                  Joe                   3      35405
CG                   ?                     0          0

Code:
End Date for Creation of New Chars: [b]4/30/09, 11:59 PM local time[/b]

CG                   Kashya                1       2889
I made a few updates to the tables - for starters, everything is now reformatted to look prettier. I've updated the end dates on competitions 2 and 3 to (roughly) +2 weeks and +4 weeks, respectively. I've also added everyone's top scores from the comps to the overall leaderboard.

The other thing I did is put down the progress of my current char (dlvl and clvl, branches completed (ME=mines end, S=sokoban, Q=quest; for other chars I've also used MT=minetown (but not mines end), C=castle, V=vlad, FL=fort, etc.) - I use this notation at home because I often stall chars for extended periods of time and it makes it a lot easier to know where I left off.) next to my entry just as a way of showing that there's an ongoing char. Anyone else with an active char is welcome to do the same thing, or they're welcome to not do it, whatever you want (no guarantee I'll even keep updating in-progress games). If it catches on, cool, if not I'll probably remove the column. *shrug*

edit: While I'm at it, yes, I did the quest last night. No real problems, though the nemesis started off by cursing my unicorn and stunning me, so I spent quite a while just sitting there tanking and waiting for the stun to wear off. Still haven't found anything to save me from the liches, but at least I now have a pair of water walking boots which will take care of medusa even if it won't get me to the store rooms in the castle (which the heart should be good enough for, anyways). I've full cleared everything above medusa at this point (with the possible exception of fort ludios, which I'm not feeling ambitious enough to hunt down), so I'm probably going to just risk the liches and try for the castle sometime this weekend. I may change my mind and decide to do some more vault robbing and try for fort ludios, though, because it's got fairly good odds of giving me something to help me survive the castle, and a ****ing helm of opposite alignment cost me about 9 points of protection sometime last night which I'd very much like to rebuild (particularly given the fact that basically all my armor is still generic and still unenchanted).

-CG

PurePremium
Estimated market value
Low
High