OT: Nethack

Re: OT: Nethack

Just started playing Nethack, because of this thread. I really like it. Currently stuck in the first level of the dungeon with my fourth or fifth character. Three empty rooms and two halways with no dead ends that are obvious to try to search in. Not sure what to do... :scratchchin:

I'd suggest searching the walls in the room for more doors. I typically make use of the multiple actions command. You can type 'n10s'(without quotes0 to search 10 times for instance.

I'd suggest searching the walls in the room for more doors. I typically make use of the multiple actions command. You can type 'n10s'(without quotes0 to search 10 times for instance.

If you use numberpad. If not just 10s does the job.

EDIT: Laptop users normally don't use numberpad but hjklbnyu.

Thanks. I found a hidden door, but that just led me to another dead end. Looked in the guidebook (guidenotepadfile?) and found out that you can dig with a pickaxe, so I had to dig myself out of there.

Is digging something you're "supposed" to do in this game? How do you guys play, move on to the next level, once you've been in all the rooms, or do you excavate the whole map?

Others move on, some wait until more monsters spawn and their level is higher before moving on and some excavate the whole level.

Excavating the whole level is best left until you can detect treasure(1) and have much food so you wont starve.

(1) Potions of object detection or spell of detect treasure.

PurePremium
Estimated market value
Low
High