Most gear dependant build? (that doesn't require an 'oskills' item)

jiansonz

Jun 22, 2003
(so obviouly no Werebear Enchantress, Fury Barb or Whirlwind Assassin...)

Why do I want to know this? Because I want to try it in an untwinked single-pass tourney. ;)

So what are your thoughts on this? Gear dependant because you need good gear for decent kill speed or gear dependant because you need it for decent safety doesn't matter, but I'd appreciate some thoughts on it.

Dual Nova Sorc
Massive mana dependency and low damage without +skills. On top of that the safety is required since you're usually on top of stuff.

Multi/Strafe Bowazon
You need a decent enough bow and a multitude of mods help a lot. Slow target/cold damage/knockback/open wounds are few to name which are not exactly THAT easy to come by.

Dragon Claw Assassin
Needs really good claws and defensive stats to be able to stay close to the fray, especially if you ignore traps altogether.

Last edited:
Dual Nova Sorc
Massive mana dependency and low damage without +skills. On top of that the safety is required since you're usually on top of stuff.

Multi/Strafe Bowazon
You need a decent enough bow and a multitude of mods help a lot. Slow target/cold damage/knockback/open wounds are few to name which are not exactly THAT easy to come by.

Dragon Claw Assassin
Needs really good claws and defensive stats to be able to stay close to the fray, especially if you ignore traps altogether.

I somewhat agree on the Dual Nova Sorc if you're going for really high end, however, caster gear is very easy to come by or craft (Spirits, Stealth, FCR rare rings/amu and FCR crafted belt etc.).

Bowazon is a good shout, safety is a big concern, but you can probably make Harmony and Treachery so it's probably not top of the list.

I tend to be able to find/shop decent claws for Dual Claw Assassins, but Kickers would be quite tough, you really need Gore Riders but you can get away with Goblin Toe.

My List:
  1. Impaleazon
  2. Fendazon
  3. Maul Bear
  4. Polearm/Spear wielding Leap Attack Barbarian - (tough build though you have the option of an Insight as your weapon if you go polearm)
  5. FoH Paladin - (yes he is a caster and can easily get dual Spirits but it's not a great PvM build - hybridised as Eletemplar is ok though)
  6. Kicker
  7. Double Throw Barbarian - (you can use rare throwing weapons but the uniques are so much better and also no easy runewords for weapons...)
  8. Vindicator [Smite Paladin] - (Smite in PvM is laborious in general)
  9. Energy Shield Sorceress - (Challening to get enough +skills/PDR to have a decent ES as well as decent killing power. Skillers really help with this build, so you'll not have many of those untwinked single-pass)

Has anyone ever seriously tried an Inferno sorc? I'd imagine with top-end gear it might do enough damage on Hell, but you'd need godly gear for safety since you're standing still. Picking a second skill to use 90% of the time doesn't count :D

Similar to what @drmalawi said basically any elemental druid is going to need decent gear. A Windy druid usually doesn't shine until you have Doom and an inventory of skillers.

Edit: also forgot to mention, Dual Dream sorc. Not sure if auras would qualify as an `oskill` to you, but either way you invest in one element while letting holy shock do the rest. When I played on bnet this build took by far the longest, and the most expensive gear. (well aside from PvP sins :p)

Last edited:
Has anyone ever seriously tried an Inferno sorc? I'd imagine with top-end gear it might do enough damage on Hell, but you'd need godly gear for safety since you're standing still. Picking a second skill to use 90% of the time doesn't count :D

Similar to what @drmalawi said basically any elemental druid is going to need decent gear. A Windy druid usually doesn't shine until you have Doom and an inventory of skillers.

Edit: also forgot to mention, Dual Dream sorc. Not sure if auras would qualify as an `oskill` to you, but either way you invest in one element while letting holy shock do the rest. When I played on bnet this build took by far the longest, and the most expensive gear. (well aside from PvP sins :p)

Well you can counter the req of standing still by using blaze ;) another not so much used sorc skill.

As people said, non cookie-cutter builds are quite gear dependable. from the more mainstream builds, IMO, the werewolf/werebear druids are most gear dependable for dealing with PI's. Rest of the melee builds have good 1 point wonders or some skill that not really weaken them.

Also the single-tree sorcs are quite gear dependable (for their merc) if they want a good solution for immunes.

PurePremium
Estimated market value
Low
High