MFO Summer 2022 When?

PhineasB

Guide Author
Mar 14, 2020
Hi All!
I realized that we are nearing the start of August and we don't yet have plans for MFO. For those interested in background on MFO, please see here. I am able to host again and wanted to gauge interest and availability for three likely 10-day windows:
  • Friday, 19 August - Sunday, 28 August
  • Friday, 26 August - Sunday, 4 September
  • Friday, 2 September - Sunday, 11 September
The last option would likely give US-based players a bit of an advantage due to the Labor Day holiday that many get off from work. I'm leaning toward second option, but should be able to supervise any of those windows. We can also push later into September if that works for more people.

I may dust off my Pit Zerker and hope for the right Golden Sacred Armor to finish my grail, but I may also go for a lower key Pit option with Poisonmancer or CS Pally hitting all boss packs. Or I may run my untwinked Sorc at Pindle in the hopes she picks up Griffon's or Fathom. Lots of good choices!

It's been cool to see all the recent Mt/Pat/Guardian posts, and in general lively activity in the forum. Hopefully we can find a time that works for most and we can keep this tradition going.

-PhineasB

Woohooo, ever since I made my 1300% MF Barb I was eaglery waiting for a MFO to test him out!

Regarding the date, it's a vacation period for almost everyone so it would be hard to find the right spot for eveyone. I would suggest keeping it a bit more freely this time like starting from early August till early September so that everyone can find some time to participate. Last time I remember many weren't able to complete a set and I don't see it being any better on these days were many players will be off for their holidays.

Reactions: PhineasB
I'm in. My favorite competition of the entire year, so I wouldn't miss this. Available for all three suggested periods no problem, though I have a minor bias toward shooting for option 2 or 3. Reason being, I'm torn on what build to use. ...Or even which platform. Either:

-I join in with a new D2R ladder character since that's where my efforts are currently focused. D2R ladder is a bad idea by itself since I have to deal with random maps & longer load times, so I'm already handicapped compared to some. Add in how I have limited gear (no mid- to high-RWs) and no sorcs [yet] rolled up this season. D2R will be slow slow slow.

-Alternatively, I revert back to 1.14 where I have greater variety of build & gear options. Problem is I'm not playing 1.14 anymore. Anything I find is going to end up in an abandoned stash and will do nothing to further my D2R goals.

🤔Limp along and rely almost entirely on crazy high luck, or run at my best speeds for the shot at pride and glory alone? 🤔

Selfish as it sounds, I'm currently feeling the D2R option. My best current build (FOHdin) is strong in the Pits, but it's not as quick as it could be without an Enigma. I'll probably attempt to make an undergeared D2R Blizsorc for AT & the Arachnid Lair with what time I've got, test it out, and make a final decision before the MFO begins. All said, the more time I have before launch, the better off I'll be in the end. But if we go early? I've still got options. Just forces my hand a little bit. :D

As always, big props to @PhineasB for arranging and hosting another iteration of the MFO. Even though it's been deemed unnecessary in recent years, I will still offer my services to assist with moderating a category if you wish not to be spoiled on whatever group you choose to run with / against.

High hopes for big participation numbers this year. Love to see as many people as we can get. Come join in the fun, one and all!

Reactions: Zyr and PhineasB
Gotta start Baaling sometime. Any dates work for me, but later ones give me a chance to go for a torch first.

I plan to try competing with a Baal runner this time, using my new chain-lightning sorc. My ranked-choice 10-day window vote: 1, 3, 2.

Last year was to early for me but with two finished characters I can join the fun this time.

Going to try my characters on different places and see what I like best

Edit: options 2 and 3 suit me best but will make do if option 1 is picked (will be on holiday part of that period)

Last edited:
I think i can do any of the three windows, but wont be able to do more 20h realistically, but will still join and test my luck.

It looks like the MFO differs from RFO in that this is just the max hours you can play during those days? Not 20 hr rounds?

I'm thinking of stepping out of comfort zone this time and participate the event. Have to look into detail rules if I decide to join though.

Preference 2>1>3.

I’ll probably take a crack at this—it sounds fun. Any time frame is okay for me. I usually don’t have tons of free time, but I’ll play along anyhow. Might be able to ‘work from home’ (ie, play games instead of work) for a few days during whichever window is chosen for the MFO.

Question: Will the new alvl 85 areas be accepted for those playing on D2:R? Stoney Tomb with my Fireball Sorc is my favorite run, so I’d like to do that if it will be allowed. Otherwise I’ll target one of the accepted A85 areas with another character.

It sounds like the second option (Friday, 26 August - Sunday, 4 September) works for most who've responded so far, so I'm leaning that way. But I'll hold off until the end of the weekend before making any decisions, and there is always the option to kick into later in September if that works for many more people.

Reactions: maxicek
Alright, will post sign up thread tomorrow for Friday, 26 August - Sunday, 4 September, but I'm definitely open to kicking until later in September if we have spotty sign ups!

Reactions: zorohpjtr and ffs
PurePremium
Estimated market value
Low
High