Matriarch/Patriarch/Guardian Archive Thread

Originally posted by @Cyrax on Jan 25, 2008:

Patriarch GoldenVoice, the goldfind barb

It's time for another pat thread. Now it's a rebuild of my previous GF barb (Golddigger) which i really didn't like. He was using frenzy, but i found his killing speed at travincal was to low so i decided to try a singing build and let the merc do the killing.

Here's the stats

Level: 80

Life: 3557
Mana: 252

Resists

Fire: 31
Cold: 72
Light: 58
Psn: 41

Stats

Str: 103 (105)
Dex: 32 (62)
Vit: 350 (350)
Eng: 10 (10)

Skills

maxed BO, find item, war cry
battle cry 19 (next to max)
natural resist 5
leap 1
rest in pre-reqs

Damage

395-418 (476-499 when using dual spirits)

Total GF: 2127%

Gear:

IK will (2x lem)
rare amulet /w 80% GF
2x alibaba (both 2x lem)
wealth archon
rare tri-resist boots /w 78% GF
chanceguards
2x dwarfstar
rare belt /w 80% GF

switch: dual spirit swords

Gear readout:

Code:
Immortal King's Will
Avenger Guard
'LemLem'
Defense: 165
Durability: 55 of 55
(Barbarian Only)
Required Strength: 65
Required Level: 47
Item Version: 1.10+ Expansion
Item Level: 55
Fingerprint: 0xfa02739
+125 Defense
137% Extra Gold from Monsters
40% Better Chance of Getting Magic Items
+4 to Light Radius
+2 to Warcry Skills (Barbarian Only)
Socketed (2: 2 used)

Wraith Heart
Amulet
Required Level: 25
Item Level: 58
Fingerprint: 0x2421d9b0
Fire Resist +14%
Lightning Resist +21%
Cold Resist +14%
Poison Resist +14%
80% Extra Gold from Monsters
10% Faster Cast Rate
+1 to Summoning Skills (Druid Only)

Blade of Ali Baba
Tulwar
'LemLem'
One-Hand Damage: 32 to 72
Durability: 32 of 32
Required Dexterity: 42
Required Strength: 70
Required Level: 43
Sword Class - Slow Attack Speed
Item Level: 99
Fingerprint: 0xa71d6a9e
+13 to Dexterity
+15 to Mana
+106% Enhanced Damage
150% Extra Gold from Monsters
200% Extra Gold (Based on Character Level)
80% Better Chance of Getting Magic Items (Based on Character Level)

Blade of Ali Baba
Tulwar
'LemLem'
One-Hand Damage: 35 to 76
Item Level: 87
Fingerprint: 0xc8d15aaa
+6 to Dexterity
+15 to Mana
+119% Enhanced Damage

Wealth
Archon Plate
'LemKoTir'
Defense: 508
Durability: 60 of 60
Required Strength: 103
Required Level: 63
Item Level: 85
Fingerprint: 0x17311414
+10 to Dexterity
300% Extra Gold from Monsters
100% Better Chance of Getting Magic Items
+2 to Mana After Each Kill
Socketed (3: 3 used)

Corpse Cord
Plated Belt
Defense: 8
Durability: 24 of 24
Required Strength: 60
Required Level: 12
Item Level: 86
Fingerprint: 0x29f37cb4
+17 to Life
Fire Resist +11%
Lightning Resist +8%
Cold Resist +13%
Replenish Life +4

Chance Guards
Chain Gloves
Defense: 27
Durability: 16 of 16
Required Strength: 25
Required Level: 15
Fingerprint: 0xa7c9cc74
+21% Enhanced Defense
+25 to Attack Rating
+15 Defense
200% Extra Gold from Monsters
37% Better Chance of Getting Magic Items
+2 to Light Radius

Dwarf Star
Ring
Required Level: 45
Fingerprint: 0x146e7de
+40 to Life
+40 to Maximum Stamina
Heal Stamina Plus 15%
Magic Damage Reduced by 15
100% Extra Gold from Monsters
15% Fire Absorb

Dwarf Star
Ring
Fingerprint: 0xd18d36c6
+40 to Life
+40 to Maximum Stamina
Heal Stamina Plus 15%
Magic Damage Reduced by 14
15% Fire Absorb

Hailstone Blazer
Scarabshell Boots
Defense: 64
Durability: 14 of 14
Required Strength: 91
Required Level: 49
Fingerprint: 0x1b2e61b8
Lightning Resist +32%
Cold Resist +36%
Poison Resist +29%
78% Extra Gold from Monsters
30% Faster Run/Walk
14% Chance to cast Level 5 Nova when struck

Stuff in inventory:
Gheed's 113% GF (i'll have to see if i have a better one), 3x 40% GF gc (plain), 1x 39% GF gc (/w 27% cold resist), 8% resist all/10% GF lc and some 10% GF sc's mostly with (minor) second mods.

Mercenary used is a might merc with duriel's, CoT (100% GF) and reapers for the most part. Switched to hone sundan for bosses.

NM forge was pul, in hell it was only a fal.
Other finds were a trap skiller, a preservers skiller (/w +3 str) and the IK will used by my char.

I won't bore you to much with the gameplay because it was slow and really really boring. Twinked my way through as usual. From act 2 NM i was hardly able to do any serious damage and so it was just a game of follow the merc. To pass time i horked just about everything in my path. This is also where i got one of the skillers from. Found lots of gold and a good deal of unique's and sets. Unfortunately most weren't to useful.
Things were pretty easy throughout the game. I stunned, my merc killed.
Only had two hard spots. First the ancients. Had some bad rolls which cost me a few merc's and even had a death because they killed my merc and i was to slow with opening a tp. After a few tries they rolled really nicely and it was a piece of cake.
The other hard part was WSK lvl 3. Filled with oblivion knights. Also those stormcaster types. Normally i wouldn't mind those, but they kept burning my mana so i couldn't stun the OK's. Lost my merc probably more then ten times there (once even 3 times within a minute).
After that it was easy going. Baal dropped really bad. Even with some serious MF on. Got a rattlecage and isenhart helmet. So the most usefull stuff i got from him was a pile with over 10K gold.

Future is lvling some at pindle (nice double drops from horking; or shenk/eldritch if pindle is to much trouble) and when he's decently lvled he'll be running travincal. Merc will be wearing a bonehew (non-eth unfortunately) or maybe a hone sundan. Not sure which it'll be. I just hope he does better then my original GF barb or i have wasted a lot of time:wink:.

Originally posted by @Cyrax on Nov 28, 2008:

Patriarch LeapOffFaith, 3rd generation goldfinder

It's been a while, but here's another character that made it to Baal (and defeated him).

The (hi)story:
This time it's my third goldfind barb. First try was a barb using frenzy which was less then a succes. Then rebuild him using warcries (with better results). And now you're probably wondering why i'm crazy enough to go for a third.
A while ago i visited the barb forum. I hardly leave the single player forums, but it does happen :D. Anyway, there i saw a guide by MalVeaux about goldfind barbs. So i started reading to see if there might have been an interesting approach i had missed, or maybe a secred piece of equipment that would make my life much easier. As i was using my warcry build i was annoyed by the fact that some bosses didn't get stunned. When i read the guide i saw Mal making an very interesting point: leap stuns all councils. That was the point where i thought: i got to try this. And now here we are..

Let's start with the stats:

Lvl 80 when finishing Baal (or put more accurately: when watching merc kill Baal)

Life: 3368 with BO sticks / 3091 without the sticks
Mana: 194 with BO sticks / 178 without the sticks

Resists:
Fire: 31
Cold: 72
Lightning: 58
Poison: 41

Stats:
Str: 136 (i'll explain later)
Dex: 32
Vit: 317
Ene: 10

Skills:
Maxed BO, find item, leap and increased speed (again: explanation later)
5 NR (future points go here)
1 in utilities and pre-reqs

Damage:
Not existing, nada, none whatsoever. And in case you still don't get it: i didn't do any damage to any monster (after lvl 43 anyway, when i could equip both my ali baba's)

Gear:

IK will (2x lem)
rare amulet /w 80% GF
2x alibaba (both 2x lem)
wealth archon
rare tri-resist boots /w 78% GF
chanceguards
2x dwarfstar
rare belt /w 80% GF

Switch1: 2x BO sticks
Switch2: the gavel of pain (This is why i needed more strenght. If you want to know why i choose this, you'll have to keep reading)

Code:
Immortal King's Will
Avenger Guard
'LemLem'
Defense: 165
(Barbarian Only)
Fingerprint: 0xfa02739
+125 Defense
+4 to Light Radius

Wraith Heart
Amulet
Fingerprint: 0x2421d9b0
Fire Resist +14%
Lightning Resist +21%
Cold Resist +14%
Poison Resist +14%
10% Faster Cast Rate
+1 to Summoning Skills (Druid Only)

Blade of Ali Baba
Tulwar
'LemLem'
Fingerprint: 0xa71d6a9e
+13 to Dexterity
+15 to Mana
+106% Enhanced Damage

Blade of Ali Baba
Tulwar
'LemLem'
One-Hand Damage: 35 to 76
Fingerprint: 0xc8d15aaa
+6 to Dexterity
+15 to Mana
+119% Enhanced Damage

Wealth
Archon Plate
'LemKoTir'
Defense: 508
Fingerprint: 0x17311414
+10 to Dexterity

Chance Guards
Chain Gloves
Fingerprint: 0xc27fd4d4
+27% Enhanced Defense
+25 to Attack Rating
+15 Defense
39% Better Chance of Getting Magic Items
+2 to Light Radius

Corpse Cord
Plated Belt
Defense: 8
Durability: 24 of 24
Required Strength: 60
Required Level: 12
Fingerprint: 0x29f37cb4
+17 to Life
Fire Resist +11%
Lightning Resist +8%
Cold Resist +13%
Replenish Life +4

Dwarf Star
Ring
Fingerprint: 0xc2da0962
+40 to Life
+40 to Maximum Stamina
Heal Stamina Plus 15%
15% Fire Absorb

Dwarf Star
Ring
Fingerprint: 0x146e7de
+40 to Life
+40 to Maximum Stamina
Heal Stamina Plus 15%
15% Fire Absorb

Hailstone Blazer
Scarabshell Boots
Defense: 64
Durability: 14 of 14
Required Strength: 91
Fingerprint: 0x1b2e61b8
Lightning Resist +32%
Cold Resist +36%
Poison Resist +29%
78% Extra Gold from Monsters
30% Faster Run/Walk

Mercenary is an offensive one from nightmare ofcourse. He's usually wearing a duriel's shell, a crown of thieves and insight cryptic axe. And for act bosses i switched to kelpie to keep them nice and quiet and guillaume's face for some CB.

Notable finds: hardly any. Found a decent defense shako and 39% chancies. And horked a low end HoZ. Was expecting a bit more since i had a decent amount of MF. In terms of numbers a decent amount of sets/uniques dropped, but most of it wasn't worth picking up. Also nothing good to report from the forges: ko at NM and lum at hell. So my bad luck at the forges continues.

Let's see what's left too tell.
Twinked my way early on as usual. Got myself a merc. When he got to a lvl where he could equip a spirit poleaxe (or something like that) my fighting days were mostly over. From then on it was follow the leader, uhm i mean merc, i'm still the leader :).
Went through normal and NM on p8. Putting stuff on once i was at a high enough lvl. For my ali's i came 10 dex short. I would get that once i could equip my wealth armor. Since i didn't want to wait that long i used cow king boots till then. And once i could equip wealth i switched the cows boots to my nice pair of slippers. They're almost too good to be worn just by a goldfind barb. And if you're having a deja-vu that's because most of the equipment was also worn by goldfind barb number 2. I keep all my chars fully equipped, but since i only need 1 goldfinder i decided to see which i like best and delete the other. So no need to make it more difficult and equip 2 barbs. I stripped one and gave it to the other.
Did hell on p1. When entering hell i knew i'd run into PI's. Since i didn't do any damage myself and i didn't see my merc killing whole pack's of PI's i needed a solution. Luckily it was given by MalVeaux in his guide. The solution is amplify damage. Which is the reason i have a little more strength. That's so i could equip the gavel of pain (with hel rune to reduce req's). I could have gone with some wand with amp charges or something, but the gavel has lvl 8 amp which is very nice to have both in duration as in range. And even with that little extra strength i have over 3k life so that should be enough anyway.
Anyway when reaching the tower i switched my bo sticks for the PI's i knew i would encounter and that worked out very nicely. Only downside is that the gavel only has 3 charges. So just spamming them is not an option. Though with that range it really isn't necesary. After that switched back to the sticks and kept on using those most of the time. That is until act 4 when i kept on meeting PI's and going back and forth to town to switch my backup weapons. So i decided i didn't really need the extra life and stayed with the gavel from then on.
Didn't have any real trouble going through the acts. Merc was doing the work and with BO he has a pretty nice lifepool. And if that failed i could always start jumping like a madman to knock enemies into a wall or ridge or something like that.
Ancients were pretty easy too. The second try anyway. First try i tried to split them up. But my merc kept lagging behind dragging them with him and he died while i was still trying to split them up. On the second try they all had pretty harmless mods (i think that all 3 off them had cold enchanted as on of the mods). So with the extra life from the BO sticks (ali's wouldn't help me there), a little extra help from a few amp charges and being able to split them up, it was a piece of cake.
Went into the WSK after that. I think it was the first lvl where i got both gloams and the guys to ressurect them. Those mummies proved to be more dangerous then the gloams. Went into a room with 3 bosspacks and the poison damage really hurt both my merc and myself. But with some jumping and a trip back to town to heal it was very doable.
Also ran into some PI witches in the keep. I was really glad i made the choice for the gavel by then. And luckily i found the exit pretty soon, so i didn't have to clear the entire lvl.
In the throne itself i ran into a PI that could not be broken by amp. So nothing left to do but leap to knock him far enough back so he wouldn't bother me. And then quickly run back to lose him.
After that the waves. Waves 1 and 2 was standing behind merc and making sure things didn't get ressurected once he killed them. 3, 4 and 5 was a lot of leaping so my merc could do his work. Still Lister took out my merc once (he had a might aura). And finally on to Baal, switching to slow/CB gear. Which took a while because the merc kept attacking those tentacles. But once he was slowed there was no contest.

General remarks on the build:
- If you're not into passive play this is not the build for you. For me it came in handy since i had a little RSI so a bit more peaceful playing was nice (though i was still horking almost every corpse so it was not like i was doing nothing).
- Skill explanation: This build only really needs BO, leap and find item. That left me with a lot of spare points. I could have gone for a combat skill or a warcry, but i didn't think they would add much to the build. With the gavel i already had my PI solution and i would need to change gear/stats to do any decent damage. So with his future in my head (hell travi) i was thinking i'd loose a lot of time running through town. My resists were decent enough with 5 hard points. So i went for reducing running time and thus speeding up my future runs. And now that's maxed i can even improve my resists some more.
- Though you may look silly and feel pretty useless jumping all the time, i can see this build have more potential for running travi then my previous GF barb. Too bad stun duration is very short, but it works on all the council members which is not the case with the warcries. So i'll probably keep this barb and get rid of the previous one.
- As said before i'm very happy with the choice of my weapon switch and whether you go for the gavel or a wand with amp charges, i think it is very usefull (and maybe even vital) to have this at your disposal. Also very useful against non-PI's with stoneskin.

LeapOffFaith's future is some lvling (probably at pindle) and then running travi.

And to close it off here's a pic of what can happen if you're leaping in the wrong place(pic would have been more spectacular if the leap didn't knock some enemies off the screen)

Special thanks go to MalVeaux for his guide which was the inspiration to make this character.

Last edited:
Originally posted by Fabian on Nov 3, 2009:

Patriarch AxeGoldie, Whirlwind Goldfinder

Edit:
Updated video (good quality) can be viewed here :)

I'd like to present my pet project over the past few months, a pretty decked out goldfinder which I'm finally happy with. As of this writing, he's the overwhelming leader in the Piles of Money Tourney (a fun tournament where the objective is to find as much gold as possible in a 30 minute period), having collected over 15 million gold in half an hour. If you keep reading, you'll find a video of him in action.

AxeGoldie is an Axe Mastery Whirlwinder. His journey was rather short and uninteresting; he started out as a clvl 42 mule from a HF rush; I equipped him with some stuff and started running NM Pindle until 52 or so, then NM Baal until 76, then Hell Pindle until **, then Hell Baal until 90. Somewhere in that time he also finished all relevant quests in all three difficulties, thanks to MPing with my blizzsorc.

Name: AxeGoldie
Level: 90
Life: 1597/1781 (3526) Naked/Equipment (BO)
Mana: 99/158 (303)
AR (after Battle Command): 4607
Defense (after BC and Shout): 2902
GF: 609 from charms, 802 from equipment, 900 from hork, 1411 on kill, 2311 on hork

Stats:

Strength: 128 (128)
Dexterity: 27 (62)
Vitality: 351 (351)
Energy: 10 (20)
29 Unspent Points

Skills:
Howl, Find Potion, Shout, Iron Skin, Increased Stamina, Bash, Leap, Stun, Leap Attack, Concentrate - 1 (3)
Battle Orders - 20 (22)
Find Item - 20 (22)
Whirlwind - 20 (22)
Axe Mastery - 20 (22)
Increased Speed - 6 (8)
Natural Resistance - 4 (6)
Battle Command - 1 (3)

Resists (after Battle Command):
Fire: 75
Cold: -17
Lightning: 19
Poison: -17

Equipment:
Weapons: 1.07 eth Oath Berserker Axe/1.07 ethbugged Grief Berserker Axe
Weapon Switch: Dual LemLemLemLemLemLem eth Crystal Sword
Armor: Wealth Archon Plate
Helm: Crown of Thieves (100% GF) socketed with Lem rune
Amulet: Rare (Barb skill, Mana Leech, Teleport)
Belt: Rare (24% FHR, Life, FR, LR, 72% GF)
Boots: Rare (30% FRW, 19% MF, FR, LR, 80% GF)
Gloves: 1.07 LoH
Rings: Dual Dwarf Star

Merc (NM Offensive, Might aura):
Reaper's Toll socketed with Shael
Kira's Guardian
Guardian Angel

[highlight]Charms[/highlight] (the best part)
609% GF (11 from max)
+41 Max Damage
+887 AR
+9 All Resistances
+19 FR
+13 LR
+100 Poison Damage over 5 seconds
+27% MF

Readouts:
Code:
Grief
Berserker Axe
'EthTirLoMalRal'
One-Hand Damage: 36 to 159
Required Dexterity: 49
Required Strength: 128
Required Level: 64
Axe Class - Very Fast Attack Speed
Indestructible
Item Version: Expansion
Fingerprint: 0x324e6ba5
Adds 5-30 fire damage
+15 Life after each Kill
35% Increased Attack Speed
Adds +370 Damage
Ignore Target Defense
-25% Target Defense
Prevent Monster Heal
20% Deadly Strike
35% Chance to cast Level 15 Venom on striking
168% Damage to Demons (Based on Character Level)
-22% to Enemy Poison Resistance
Ethereal (Cannot be Repaired), Socketed (5: 5 used)

Oath
Berserker Axe
'ShaelPulMalLum'
One-Hand Damage: 153 to 504
Required Dexterity: 49
Required Strength: 128
Axe Class - Fastest Attack Speed
Indestructible
Fingerprint: 0x5c256180
+10 to Energy
+326% Enhanced Damage
50% Increased Attack Speed
Prevent Monster Heal
75% Damage to Demons
+100 to Attack Rating against Demons
+10 Magic Absorb
Indestructible
30% Chance to cast Level 20 Bone Spirit on striking
Level 16 Heart of Wolverine (20/20 Charges)
Level 17 Iron Golem (14/14 Charges)
Ethereal (Cannot be Repaired), Socketed (4: 4 used)

Wealth
Archon Plate
'LemKoTir'
Defense: 518
Durability: 59 of 60
Fingerprint: 0x5d96ec5
+10 to Dexterity

Crown of Thieves
Grand Crown
'Lem'
Defense: 339
Durability: 50 of 50
Fingerprint: 0x41969647
+25 to Dexterity
+50 to Life
+35 to Mana
+198% Enhanced Defense
Fire Resist +33%
11% Life stolen per hit
Socketed (1: 1 used)

Ghoul Necklace
Amulet
Required Level: 48
Item Level: 93
Fingerprint: 0xdbaaaffb
+14 to Mana
+4 to Minimum Damage
6% Mana stolen per hit
+1 to Barbarian Skill Levels
+2 to Light Radius
Level 2 Teleport (19/25 Charges)

Gemmed Crystal Sword
'LemLemLemLemLemLem'
One-Hand Damage: 7 to 22
Durability: 7 of 11
Required Strength: 33
Sword Class - Normal Attack Speed
Item Level: 79
Fingerprint: 0xbecc70a3
450% Extra Gold from Monsters
Ethereal (Cannot be Repaired), Socketed (6: 6 used)

Gemmed Crystal Sword
'LemLemLemLemLemLem'
One-Hand Damage: 7 to 22
Durability: 9 of 11
Required Strength: 33
Item Level: 88
Fingerprint: 0xee7de5cf
Ethereal (Cannot be Repaired), Socketed (6: 6 used)

Demon Winding
Sharkskin Belt
Defense: 45
Durability: 12 of 14
Required Strength: 20
Fingerprint: 0x9c318aa6
+54 to Life
+24% Enhanced Defense
Fire Resist +25%
Lightning Resist +10%
72% Extra Gold from Monsters
24% Faster Hit Recovery

Dire Brogues
Battle Boots
Defense: 72
Durability: 18 of 18
Required Strength: 95
Required Level: 29
Fingerprint: 0xebcdeff6
+52% Enhanced Defense
Fire Resist +27%
Lightning Resist +9%
19% Better Chance of Getting Magic Items
30% Faster Run/Walk

Laying of Hands
Bramble Mitts
Defense: 86
Durability: 11 of 12
Required Strength: 50
Fingerprint: 0x5791c98b
+25 Defense
20% Increased Attack Speed
350% Damage to Demons
50% Fire Absorb
10% Chance to cast Level 3 Holy Bolt on striking

Dwarf Star
Ring
Fingerprint: 0x58ebd62e
+40 to Life
+40 to Maximum Stamina
Heal Stamina Plus 15%
15% Fire Absorb

Dwarf Star
Ring
Fingerprint: 0xc84bcf16
+40 to Life
+40 to Maximum Stamina
Heal Stamina Plus 15%
15% Fire Absorb

The Reaper's Toll
Thresher
'Shael'
Two-Hand Damage: 39 to 469
Durability: 65 of 65
Required Dexterity: 89
Required Strength: 114
Required Level: 75
Polearm Class - Very Fast Attack Speed
Fingerprint: 0x48b47fc8
+233% Enhanced Damage
Adds 4-44 cold damage over 0 seconds
11% Life stolen per hit
Requirements -25%
Ignore Target Defense
33% Deadly Strike
33% Chance to cast Level 1 Decrepify on striking

Kira's Guardian
Tiara
Defense: 111
Durability: 15 of 25
Required Level: 77
Fingerprint: 0x35536245
+67 Defense
All Resistances +68
20% Faster Hit Recovery
Cannot Be Frozen

Guardian Angel
Templar Coat
Defense: 794
Durability: 51 of 60
Required Strength: 118
Fingerprint: 0x6ab24b85
+189% Enhanced Defense
+20% Increased Chance of Blocking
+15 to Maximum All Resistances
+1 to Paladin Skill Levels
+4 to Light Radius
30% Faster Block Rate
225% Bonus to Attack Rating Against Demons (Based on Character Level)

Charm Readouts:
Code:
Gheed's Fortune
Grand Charm
Keep in Inventory to Gain Bonus
Required Level: 62
Fingerprint: 0x3c19d308
157% Extra Gold from Monsters
27% Better Chance of Getting Magic Items
Reduces All Vendor Prices 14%

Sharp Grand Charm of Greed
Required Level: 21
Item Level: 80
Fingerprint: 0x7f640097
+72 to Attack Rating
+10 to Maximum Damage
40% Extra Gold from Monsters

Fingerprint: 0xc41c5147
+56 to Attack Rating
+7 to Maximum Damage

Fingerprint: 0xa61717d0
+74 to Attack Rating
+8 to Maximum Damage

Item Level: 38
Fingerprint: 0xca260315
+67 to Attack Rating
+8 to Maximum Damage
37% Extra Gold from Monsters

Steel Grand Charm of Greed
Required Level: 41
Fingerprint: 0xe7492c86
+127 to Attack Rating

Fingerprint: 0x229813ae
+123 to Attack Rating
39% Extra Gold from Monsters

Required Level: 35
Fingerprint: 0x49efcf39
+111 to Attack Rating

Fingerprint: 0x4d76cdcd
+98 to Attack Rating
38% Extra Gold from Monsters

Iron Grand Charm of Greed
Required Level: 23
Fingerprint: 0x31281e9c
+79 to Attack Rating

Shimmering Small Charm of Greed
Fingerprint: 0x5eae07ec
All Resistances +5
10% Extra Gold from Monsters

Shimmering Small Charm of Greed
Fingerprint: 0x6d3c05be
All Resistances +4
9% Extra Gold from Monsters

Ruby Small Charm of Greed
Required Level: 32
Fingerprint: 0x390d87f7
Fire Resist +11%

Garnet Small Charm of Greed
Required Level: 20
Fingerprint: 0x8c1a934d
Fire Resist +8%

Fine Small Charm of Greed
Fingerprint: 0x17593fb4
+14 to Attack Rating
+2 to Maximum Damage

Ocher Small Charm of Greed
Item Level: 23
Fingerprint: 0x828dcefd
Lightning Resist +7%

Fingerprint: 0xdc8a171
Lightning Resist +6%

Toxic Small Charm of Greed
Required Level: 55
Fingerprint: 0x7c169ab8
+100 poison damage over 5 seconds

Serrated Small Charm of Greed
Item Level: 90
Fingerprint: 0x4521aced
+6 to Maximum Damage

Steel Small Charm of Greed
Fingerprint: 0xa8c8638
+33 to Attack Rating

Video (Updated)
I recorded a video of him running like he would in the Piles of Money tournament, ie with a focus on speed. The quality is quite good, unlike the first video I had here. You can view it here; I collect a bit over 3 million gold in a bit over 5 minutes (in fact, before the last run which kind of sucked, I collect 2.8M in 4:30, which is a very good result despite the runs looking pretty bad/uncontrolled).

Future Plans:
Future plans involve Hell Travincal! More gold! I'd also love to improve my equipment whenever possible; the most notable improvement would be to get a Beast, which should allow me to again shatter my current record.

Thanks to all of you who have traded me items for AxeGoldie. Thanks especially to omgwtf who gave back my best charm (10/72/40) after I originally gave it to him as part of my then-goodbye giveaway.

Thanks to everyone who's given me ideas and been a part of the goldbarb discussions on this forum.

Let me know if you have any questions, thanks for reading!

Last edited:
Originally posted by Grape on Jan 21, 2018:

Patriarch Axl - 200 FCR Singer / Eth Tomb Reaver's Zerker

Viva la Tomby!

Now that I finally got it together little while ago, I wanted to be smashing demons' faces soon enough with it.

I knew already this would be one of the first things I wanted to do with it: I've had 2/20FCR Barb amulet stashed for a good while, and I wanted to do a 200FCR singer around it. I figured already then that I'd need a PI solution, and that Bersker sharing one synergy with the War Cry would be a good fit... I decided to put this whole idea to a hold until I had this one weapon ready to be used!

Build

LCS with War Cry switch:
1585376698630.png

LCS with Berserk switch:
1585376689636.png

Stats and skills:
Code:
Name:       Axl
Class:      Barbarian
Experience: 1533438607
Level:      89

Naked/Gear
Strength:   65/157
Dexterity:  78/93
Vitality:   272/272
Energy:     65/66
HP:         1279/1529
Mana:       153/527
Stamina:    427/427
Defense:    19/1361
AR:         375/522

Fire:       93/53/-7
Cold:       152/112/52
Lightning:  86/46/-14
Poison:     115/75/15

MF:         146       Block:      10
GF:         29
FR/W:       75
FHR:        36
IAS:        90
FCR:        100

Bash: 1/8
Leap: 0/0
Double Swing: 0/0
Stun: 1/8
Double Throw: 0/0
Leap Attack: 0/0
Concentrate: 1/8
Frenzy: 0/0
Whirlwind: 0/0
Berserk: 20/27

Sword Mastery: 0/0
Axe Mastery: 0/0
Mace Mastery: 0/0
Pole Arm Mastery: 4/11
Throwing Mastery: 0/0
Spear Mastery: 0/0
Increased Stamina: 1/8
Iron Skin: 1/8
Increased Speed: 1/8
Natural Resistance: 1/8

Howl: 20/35
Find Potion: 0/0
Taunt: 16/31
Shout: 1/16
Find Item: 0/0
Battle Cry: 8/23
Battle Orders: 1/16
Grim Ward: 0/0
War Cry: 20/35
Battle Command: 1/16

I'd keep putting more points to the Polearm Mastery should I keep leveling him. With Battle Cry Berskerk hits just well, but I was sometimes lazy to use it. 55 stat points left, because I was undecided between vitality and energy. Seeing as he hadn't any serious mana problems, but was little vulnerable to damage sometimes, I may put all of those to vitality.

Items:

Barb himself used Enigma and was then all was about FCR, using rare Tiara, crafted Amulet, 1.07 Wizzy, Suicide Branch, Magefist, Arachnid's and two rare FCR ring plus caster crafted boots. Switch was the E Tomby itself, which I was swinging at 13 FPA.

Backpack aka inventory was full of Sounding GCs and life/mana SCs. Merc was rather easy choice: Insight all the way.

Code:
Serpent's Small Charm of Vita
Small Charm
Required Level: 40
Fingerprint: 0x584343b4
Item Level: 95
Version: Expansion 1.10+
+20 to Life
+15 to Mana

Small Charm
Fingerprint: 0xe1155728
+19 to Life
+17 to Mana

Small Charm
Fingerprint: 0x364ad71f
+18 to Life
+13 to Mana

Snake's Small Charm of Vita
Small Charm
Required Level: 39
Fingerprint: 0x1d9227e7
+20 to Life
+12 to Mana

Small Charm
Fingerprint: 0x772be620
+16 to Life
+14 to Mana

Snake's Small Charm of Vita
Small Charm
Fingerprint: 0xd328b414
+16 to Life
+10 to Mana

Lizard's Small Charm of Vita
Small Charm
Fingerprint: 0x16ddd28b
+20 to Life
+7 to Mana

Sounding Grand Charm of Sustenance
Grand Charm
Required Level: 42
Fingerprint: 0xa3d5d0ed
+1 to Warcry Skills (Barbarian Only)
+22 to Life

Sounding Grand Charm of Strength
Grand Charm
Fingerprint: 0x22086894
+6 to Strength

Sounding Grand Charm of Balance
Grand Charm
Fingerprint: 0x1b9615a7
+12% Faster Hit Recovery

Grand Charm
Fingerprint: 0x1795a142
Version: Expansion
+12% Faster Hit Recovery

Grand Charm
Fingerprint: 0xe36b1c27
+23 to Life

Grand Charm
Fingerprint: 0x400e24dc
Item Level: 73
+21 to Life

Horadric Cube
Fingerprint: 0xed22dafc
Item Level: 13

Small Charm
Fingerprint: 0xefd41dd1
+18 to Life
+17 to Mana

Skull Casque
Tiara
Defense: 40
Durability: 24 of 25
Required Level: 67
Fingerprint: 0x9da40169
+2 to Barbarian Skill Levels
+20% Faster Cast Rate
+37 to Life
+38 to Mana
Cold Resist +28%
All Resistances +20
Attacker Takes Damage of 5
1 Sockets (1 used)
Socketed: Perfect Sapphire

Perfect Sapphire
Required Level: 18
Weapons: Adds 10 - 14 Cold Damage Over 3 Secs (75 Frames)
Armor: +38 to Mana
Shields: Cold Resist +40%

Shadow Beads
Amulet
Required Level: 89
Fingerprint: 0x94938f97
Item Level: 98
+20% Faster Cast Rate
+10 to Mana
Regenerate Mana 8%
Cold Resist +32%
29% Extra Gold from Monsters

Enigma
Mage Plate
JahIthBer
Defense: 1015
Durability: 58 of 60
Required Level: 65
Required Strength: 55
Fingerprint: 0xcad27c7c
+2 to All Skills
+45% Faster Run/Walk
+1 to Teleport
+770 Defense
+66 to Strength (Based on Character Level)
Increase Maximum Life 5%
Damage Reduced by 8%
+14 Life after each Kill
15% Damage Taken Goes To Mana
89% Better Chance of Getting Magic Items (Based on Character Level)
3 Sockets (3 used)
Socketed: Jah Rune
Socketed: Ith Rune
Socketed: Ber Rune

Jah Rune
Weapons: Ignore Target's Defense
Armor: Increase Maximum Life 5%
Shields: +50 to Life

Ith Rune
Weapons: +9 to Maximum Damage
Armor: 15% Damage Taken Goes To Mana
Shields: 15% Damage Taken Goes To Mana

Ber Rune
Weapons: 20% Chance of Crushing Blow
Armor: Damage Reduced by 8%
Shields: Damage Reduced by 8%

Grim Gyre
Ring
Fingerprint: 0x3ee6bed9
+10% Faster Cast Rate
+3 to Minimum Damage
+15 to Dexterity
+79 to Mana
Fire Resist +7%
Poison Resist +19%

Corruption Knot
Ring
Fingerprint: 0x7b70c69e
Item Level: 97
+10% Faster Cast Rate
+72 to Attack Rating
+14 to Strength
+1 to Energy
+90 to Mana
Poison Resist +10%

Arachnid Mesh
Spiderweb Sash
Defense: 137
Durability: 12 of 12
Required Level: 80
Fingerprint: 0xc9f6c065
+1 to All Skills
+20% Faster Cast Rate
Slows Target by 10%
+119% Enhanced Defense
Increase Maximum Mana 5%
Level 3 Venom (11/11 Charges)

Plague Shank
Wyrmhide Boots
Defense: 121
Required Level: 67
Fingerprint: 0x6c8f011c
+30% Faster Run/Walk
+93% Enhanced Defense
+52 to Mana
Increase Maximum Mana 4%
Regenerate Mana 9%
Cold Resist +6%

Magefist
Light Gauntlets
Defense: 25
Durability: 17 of 18
Required Level: 23
Required Strength: 45
Fingerprint: 0x7a3a29c5
Item Level: 49
+1 to Fire Skills
+20% Faster Cast Rate
Adds 1 - 6 Fire Damage
+28% Enhanced Defense
+10 Defense
Regenerate Mana 25%

Sounding Grand Charm of Strength
Grand Charm
Fingerprint: 0xc09eb8b1
Item Level: 94
+6 to Strength

Grand Charm
Fingerprint: 0x7d95cca4
+12% Faster Hit Recovery

Wizardspike
Bone Knife
One Hand Damage: 23 - 49
Indestructible
Required Level: 61
Required Strength: 38
Required Dexterity: 75
Fingerprint: 0x1fd88059
+50% Faster Cast Rate
+13 to Life
+13 to Mana
Increase Maximum Mana 15%
+178 to Mana (Based on Character Level)
Regenerate Mana 15%
All Resistances +95
1 Sockets (1 used)
Socketed: Jacinth Jewel of Hope

Jacinth Jewel of Hope
Jewel
Required Level: 37
Fingerprint: 0x6a039df0
+13 to Life
+13 to Mana

Suicide Branch
Burnt Wand
One Hand Damage: 12 - 27
Durability: 7 of 8
Required Strength: 15
Fingerprint: 0xf1aa988a
+1 to All Skills
+50% Faster Cast Rate
+52 to Life
+15 to Mana
Increase Maximum Mana 10%
All Resistances +10
Attacker Takes Damage of 25
Ethereal
1 Sockets (1 used)
Socketed: Jacinth Jewel of Hope

Jacinth Jewel of Hope
Jewel
Fingerprint: 0x109b49e9
Item Level: 66
+12 to Life
+15 to Mana

Tomb Reaver
Cryptic Axe
Two Hand Damage: 211 - 969
Durability: 33 of 33
Required Level: 84
Required Strength: 155
Required Dexterity: 93
Fingerprint: 0xa45f2eda
Indestructible
+90% Increased Attack Speed
331% Enhanced Damage
+156% Damage to Undead
+270 to Attack Rating against Undead
All Resistances +36
10% Reanimate as: Returned
+14 Life after each Kill
57% Better Chance of Getting Magic Items
+4 to Light Radius
Ethereal
3 Sockets (3 used)
Socketed: Ruby Jewel of Fervor
Socketed: Zod Rune
Socketed: Ruby Jewel of Fervor

Ruby Jewel of Fervor
Jewel
Required Level: 58
Fingerprint: 0x7bf5aebb
Item Level: 84
+15% Increased Attack Speed
39% Enhanced Damage

Zod Rune
Required Level: 69
Weapons: Indestructible
Armor: Indestructible
Shields: Indestructible

Ruby Jewel of Fervor
Jewel
Fingerprint: 0x681b20b6
35% Enhanced Damage

Mercenary:

Name:       Alhizeer
Race:       Desert Mercenary
Type:       Off-Normal
Experience: 78421044
Level:      89
Dead?:      false

Naked/Gear
Strength:   197/252
Dexterity:  160/165
HP:         1990/1990
Defense:    1459/2577
AR:         2024/485760

Fire:       204/164/104
Cold:       221/181/121
Lightning:  221/181/121
Poison:    291/251/191

Chains of Honor
Dusk Shroud
DolUmBerIst
Defense: 754
Durability: 5 of 20
Required Strength: 77
Fingerprint: 0xa44c4ae1
+2 to All Skills
+200% Damage to Demons
+100% Damage to Undead
8% Life stolen per hit
+70% Enhanced Defense
+20 to Strength
Replenish Life +7
All Resistances +65
Damage Reduced by 8%
25% Better Chance of Getting Magic Items
4 Sockets (4 used)
Socketed: Dol Rune
Socketed: Um Rune
Socketed: Ist Rune

Dol Rune
Required Level: 31
Weapons: Hit Causes Monster to Flee 25%
Armor: Replenish Life +7
Shields: Replenish Life +7

Um Rune
Weapons: 25% Chance of Open Wounds
Armor: Cold Resist +15%
Lightning Resist +15%
Fire Resist +15%
Poison Resist +15%
Shields: Cold Resist +22%
Lightning Resist +22%
Fire Resist +22%
Poison Resist +22%

Ber Rune
Weapons: 20% Chance of Crushing Blow
Armor: Damage Reduced by 8%
Shields: Damage Reduced by 8%

Ist Rune
Required Level: 51
Weapons: 30% Better Chance of Getting Magic Items
Armor: 25% Better Chance of Getting Magic Items
Shields: 25% Better Chance of Getting Magic Items

Andariel's Visage
Demonhead
Defense: 364
Durability: 19 of 20
Required Level: 83
Required Strength: 102
Fingerprint: 0xbfb5d176
15% Chance to cast level 15 Poison Nova when struck
+2 to All Skills
+35% Increased Attack Speed
10% Life stolen per hit
+135% Enhanced Defense
+30 to Strength
+10% to Maximum Poison Resist
Fire Resist -17%
Poison Resist +70%
Level 3 Venom (20/20 Charges)
1 Sockets (1 used)
Socketed: Garnet Jewel of Fervor

Garnet Jewel of Fervor
Jewel
Fingerprint: 0x6e0ccea7
Fire Resist +13%

Insight
Great Poleaxe
RalTirTalSol
Two Hand Damage: 288 - 769
Durability: 28 of 28
Required Strength: 169
Fingerprint: 0x430eca7f
Level 15 Meditation Aura When Equipped
+35% Faster Cast Rate
305% Enhanced Damage
+9 to Minimum Damage
239% Bonus to Attack Rating
Adds 5 - 30 Fire Damage
Adds 75 Poison Damage Over 5 Secs (125 Frames)
+5 to Critical Strike
All Stats +5
+2 to Mana after each Kill
23% Better Chance of Getting Magic Items
Ethereal
4 Sockets (4 used)
Socketed: Ral Rune
Socketed: Tir Rune
Socketed: Tal Rune
Socketed: Sol Rune

Ral Rune
Required Level: 19
Weapons: Adds 5 - 30 Fire Damage
Armor: Fire Resist +30%
Shields: Fire Resist +35%

Tir Rune
Required Level: 13
Weapons: +2 to Mana after each Kill
Armor: +2 to Mana after each Kill
Shields: +2 to Mana after each Kill

Tal Rune
Required Level: 17
Weapons: Adds 75 Poison Damage Over 5 Secs (125 Frames)
Armor: Poison Resist +30%
Shields: Poison Resist +35%

Sol Rune
Required Level: 27
Weapons: +9 to Minimum Damage
Armor: Damage Reduced by 7
Shields: Damage Reduced by 7

Journey:

With my end game items' levels in my mind (89 for the amulet and 84 for the TR), I knew I needed to do some serious early Hell leveling to be able to play with my planned build all the way through Hell. Luckily there's Pits and luckily there was a nice little tournament, where I could MF and level this character at the same time. I started running Pits when I was level 65, when tournament ended I was 88 and little more. Then I turned from P1 to P3 runs and achieved 89 pretty soon. I played as a regular Singer all the time, but I never used any respecs, so I was immediately ready to go.

Normal and NM was ran through as a Singer as well, though that's pretty rough for levels 1-30 - I used my 1.07 Raven Claw to speed things up. After level 30 he flew by the act really fast, Singer is a really good mid game questing character.

Pictures:
1585376554579.png
Here I am! And you're rocket... ehm demon queen! Oh yea, any case. By the end of Act I I was still getting to know the build, but I was liking it already a lot.

1585376537254.png
Me: I'm on a Nightrain! I love that stuff! Alhizeer: no, this is Arcane Sanctuary!

Tomb Reaver can reach monsters from far away, especially handy against mana burners like this.

1585376526656.png
Welcome to the jungle! I could Howl all them away, but I liked this one even more: stun all the little groups with War Cry and kill them standing still.

1585376519219.png
Not liking these too close to my skin!

1585376511756.png
Hephasto was a disappointment. Guy could barely hurt us. Broke his hellish forge, and it popped some gems and an Um rune. In the Chaos Sanctuary I used Howl quite liberally like a true Zerker. Infector was a bit dangerous, otherwise no problems. Diablo got sandwiched by me and merc, D targeting me, so it was all good.

1585376504618.png
I visited both the Icy Cellar and the Drifter Cavern. Icy had these guys with another pack wit Might nearby, good thing I didn't woke them before these were down.

1585376497180.png
When you cry long enough, even these guys get stunned. Then it's good to switch to Zerk.

1585376487730.png
One of the WSK levels had really nasty double boss pack of snakes. Throne had souls, dolls and mummies. How nice, luckily we could handle them really well. Waves with War Cry are really easy. Lister I Zerked down in the end. Baal took a while, because I hadn't any crushing blow equipment with me, but fell after few minutes at most.

Hell was played P1-P3. With more careful play higher setting would be possible but slower. Now the pace was hectic and fast and I could enjoy the feeling of 200% FCR the most.

Barb himself was not very sturdy without any block and low DR, not maximized resists on Zerk switch etc. but that was to be expected. I enjoyed playing him a lot however, and try to keep most of the items on him for a while and mess around a little :)

Thanks for reading! Questions and comments are welcome!

PS. some problems loading my video to the Youtube. I'll try later again and post it here.

Edit. Works:

Last edited:
Originally posted by Indemaijinj on Jun 2, 2006:

My second patriarch.

Heh, it's been a long time since my first patriarch, primarily due to two bad habits:

Habit 1: I keep starting new characters. Everytime I hear of some new outlandish build I have to try it out.

Habit 2: I quest with /players 8 on. All the time. Even in Hell. Regardless of build, and I do full clears to the best of my ability.

As a result I find it somewhat hard to find the resolve to carry through with any build.

If I am to tell you that my second patriarch is far from being a cookie cutter. He is the legendary Singer barbarian, killing stuff with the mighty Warcry I think you'll understand why this took some time.

Arguably, I didn't plan on on going /players 8 all the way. I just thought "let's try how long I can go on killing things with my warcry on this setting". The answer was: All the way, well, sorta.

See, I did hybridize this guy a bit by getting Berserk as a one point wonder. Nominally to deal with physical immunes and make act boss battles somewhat less of a chore, but as the game went on I there were more and more monster types whose life meter wouldn't budge regardless how much I yelled at them. They simply regenerated too quickly for me to catch up.
It started with monsters of the Blunderbore family in act 2 Hell. I could just barely damage the regular (non-boss/champion pack) Gorebellies in Tal's tombs. Later In act 4 Grotesques and Regurgitators proved too touch for Warcry to handle (Megademons could be cried to death though).
In act 5 they were adjoined by Frenzytaurs and Siege beasts (though I was able to damage Blood Lords), and even, to my suprise, guest monster Gloams.

Still I did my best not to abuse my one-point Berserk. This was a Singer afterall, not a mini-zerker with a bloated warcries tree.

So here he is:

Patriarch Rockstar - Level 90 Warcry Barbarian

Base stats:

Strength: 70
Dexterity: 75
Vitality: 390
Energy: 10

Life: 1753
Mana: 99
Defense: 23

Stats after gear, Battle Orders, and Battle Command (Main switch/Berserk switch):

Strength: 75
Dexterity: 80/85
Vitality: 439/395
Energy: 15

Life: 4839/4663
Mana: 2134/1358
Defense: 1656/2368

Warcry damage: 1146-1148 Next-last breakpoint.

Berserk damage: 2465-3794
Berserk AR: 2001

Skills (base/main switch/zerk switch:

Warcries:

Howl: 20/35/31
Taunt: 7/22/18
Battle Cry: 20/35/31
War Cry: 20/36/32

Shout: 1/16/14
Battle Orders: 20/37/33
Battle Command: 1/19/15

Find Potion: 1/16/12

Masteries:

Mace Mastery: 1/13/9
Increased Stamina: 1/13/9
Increased Speed: 1/13/9
Iron Skin: 1/13/9
Natural Resistance: 1/13/9

Combat Skills:

Leap: 1/13/9
Leap Attack: 1/13/9

Bash: 1/13/9
Stun: 1/13/9
Concentrate: 1/13/9
Berserk: 1/13/9

Gear:

Weapon switch 1: Dual "Spirit" Giant Swords (he used giant swords just because he could :) )
Weapon switch 2: 299% ed upgraded Ribcracker Stalagmite socketed with a Shael.
Hat: Fiend Veil Avenger Guard: +2 barb, +1 Warcry +3 BC, +2 BO, minor mods.
Shirt: +35 resist Skin of the Vipermagi socketed with my best resist jewel for a total of 50% resist all.
Mittens: Frostburn.
Shoes: Silkweawe.
Girdle: Arachnid Mesh.
Rings: Dual Stone of Jordan.
Necklace: +23 resist Mara's Kaleidoscope.

Charms:

Two Sounding Grand Charms.
Two Serpents Grand Charms of Life/Vita
Two Serpetns Large Charms of Life/Sustenance
One Serpents: Large Charm of Thunder.
One Ruby Large Charm of Vita
Serpents Small Charm of Storms.
Serpetns Small Charm of Vita.
Ocher Small Charm of Balance.
Amber Small Charm of Storms.

Mercenary: Waheed - Level 89 Act 2 Prayer Desert Warrior.

Strength: 202
Dexterity 165
Melee damage: 487 - 2593
Attack Rating: 2164
Life: 5127

Hat: Bog standard Tal Rasha's Horadric Crest.
Shirt: Bog standard Shaftstop.
Stick: Ethereal "Insight" Thresher.

Originally posted by Liquid_Evil on Apr 3, 2007:

Patriarch FeverDream

I usually don't post pat threads here but I figured I'd share my latest with the dii.net crowd. FeverDream is the newest addition to the ranks of my char screen. Surprisingly he's not a druid...He's a singer barb with a bad attitude.

BASE STATS
S-30
D-75
V-425
E-10

BASE SKILLS
Leap- 1
Increased Stamina- 1
Increased Speed- 1
Iron Skin- 1
Natural Resists- 1
Howl- 20
Taunt- 13
Battle Cry- 20
War Cry- 20
Battle Orders- 20

GEAR
.07 Valk Wing
"Enigma" Mage Plate (it's the same one I use on all my chars)
Dual Wizardspikes s/resist jewels
Magefist/Trang's
Crafted 10%FC and SoJ
Arachnid's Mesh
Silkweave
Crafted 20%FC ammy with some mana (no skills)

Charms- 5 Sounding of Balance, 5 Serpents of Balance, 10 FHR smalls (most with resists or mana).
Weapon switch- Echoing kris x2

NOTABLE FINDS
Two ethereal Rattlecages. Maybe make for some nice caster merc armors. Seriously though, I didn't really find anything to speak of.

Q & A
You actually think he'll be competitive in duels?

Against most casters, yes.
Against most melee, probably not.

What about Energy Shield?
Yes, that is going to be a problem. That's why I said "most" casters.

Is this a standard Singer?
Basically, yes. I was originally going to hybridize with a berserk switch (Howl synergizes War Cry and Berserk) but decided against it in the end.

Well that's fine and dandy but what makes this guy special?
Not just special, this char has been "liquified"! He hits the 200% FC breakpoint for 3.5 casts a second and hits the 200% FHR breakpoint to ensure a 3 frame FHR. He should be able to keep up with any character in the game, ping permitting. Another thing that sets him apart from other PvP War Cry barbs is that he has less of an emphasis on a high damage War Cry and more of an emphasis on a huge mana pool. Even though he hits for less damage, he hits quicker and for longer periods.

I guess that's cool, but seriously, a warcry barb? You twisted SideShowBob's arm into trading you his last .07 Valk for this?
Well, the Valk was a keystone to this build as well, but it's not the reason I needed it so badly. I guess you'll just have to wait and see what it was really needed for in the months to come.

Ooooh, you're *so* dramatic Liq. Why the name, FeverDream?
I was sick back in February and had the most bizarre fever-induced dream of my life. A couple days later I was thinking about it and I figured that would make for sweet char name.

This guy sounds pretty keen, how is he in PvM?
He relies on others to kill basically. A great party char with a nice level BO, great stun, and quick tele's to the throne for Baal runs. If you don't mind being more of a support char, it's a nice build. Oh, and you'll absolutely require an Insight merc.

So you actually think you're gonna excel in duels?
No, but I should have some fun. It's just something I've always wanted to build. Thanks for reading.

Last edited:
Originally posted by @maareek on Sep 12, 2009:

Patriarch GibCouncilGrief, Goldfind Barbarian

Introduction

I decided to make a goldfind Barbarian a little while ago and posted a thread to get ideas, from which I came away planning on going with Whirlwind, dual-wielding Death Cleavers. As I was starting this project, colony put up his Grief Berserker Axe for trade, which I was able to acquire. Grief without 10k LK runs? Awww yeah.

This is my first character to go through the entire game at players 8. I've had others that could have done it, but it seemed too tedious. For this guy, I mostly wanted to do so to get a good read on how the durability on the weapons would run down, and to get a little extra experience before setting up shop in Travincal.

Character

Character name : GibCouncilGrief
Character type : Barbarian
Character level : 86

Strength : 138 (165)
Energy : 10
Dexterity : 59 (99)
Vitality : 318

Life : 2988 / 1457
Mana : 357 / 95

Resists:

Fire - 73
Cold - 59
Lightning - 52
Poison - 26

Skills (including Battle Commands):

20: Axe Mastery (23), Whirlwind (25), Battle Orders (24)
14: Find Item (18)
2: Increased Speed, Natural Resistances (5)
1: Battle Commands (5), Berserk (6), required skills

Have five left over.

Gear:

Code:
Arreat's Face
Slayer Guard
Defense: 302
(Barbarian Only)
Fingerprint: 0x428b5bdc
+27 to Strength
+20 to Dexterity
+150% Enhanced Defense
+29% Enhanced Damage
All Resistances +30
6% Life stolen per hit
30% Faster Hit Recovery
20% Bonus to Attack Rating
+2 to Combat Skills (Barbarian Only)

Realgar Jewel of Virility
Fingerprint: 0xa7e7a0fa
+7 to Strength
+29% Enhanced Damage

Crescent Moon
Amulet
Required Level: 50
Item Level: 75
Fingerprint: 0xd90b98f
+45 to Mana
Magic Damage Reduced by 10
3% Life stolen per hit
12% Mana stolen per hit
-2 to Light Radius
10% Damage Taken Goes to Mana

Duress
Chaos Armor
'ShaelUmThul'
Defense: 991
Durability: 69 of 70
Required Strength: 140
Fingerprint: 0xe4bdecde
+190% Enhanced Defense
+15% Enhanced Damage
Fire Resist +15%
Lightning Resist +15%
Cold Resist +45%
Poison Resist +15%
Adds 37-133 cold damage over 2 seconds
40% Faster Hit Recovery
33% Chance of Open Wounds
15% Chance of Crushing Blow
-20% Slower Stamina Drain

Raven Frost
Ring
Item Level: 60
Fingerprint: 0x7672ccb4
+20 to Dexterity
+40 to Mana
+249 to Attack Rating
Adds 15-45 cold damage over 4 seconds
20% Cold Absorb
Cannot Be Frozen

Plague Turn
Ring
Fingerprint: 0x822aee61
+99 to Attack Rating
All Resistances +8
4% Mana stolen per hit
10% Better Chance of Getting Magic Items
+1 to Light Radius
Level 5 Charged Bolt (32/32 Charges)

String of Ears
Demonhide Sash
Defense: 109
Durability: 22 of 22
Fingerprint: 0x7c6ddc3
+170% Enhanced Defense
+15 Defense
Magic Damage Reduced by 13
Damage Reduced by 14%
6% Life stolen per hit
+10 Maximum Durability

Gore Rider
War Boots
Defense: 156
Durability: 31 of 34
Required Strength: 94
Fingerprint: 0xa0a321b9
+20 to Maximum Stamina
+189% Enhanced Defense
+10 Maximum Durability
Requirements -25%
30% Faster Run/Walk
10% Chance of Open Wounds
15% Deadly Strike

Laying of Hands
Bramble Mitts
Defense: 85
Fingerprint: 0x1785909
+25 Defense
Fire Resist +50%
350% Damage to Demons
10% Chance to cast Level 3 Holy Bolt on striking

Grief
Berserker Axe
'EthTirLoMalRal'
One-Hand Damage: 24 to 71
Durability: 21 of 26
Required Dexterity: 59
Required Strength: 138
Fingerprint: 0x39ddf3c6
Adds 5-30 fire damage
+15 Life after each Kill
35% Increased Attack Speed
Adds +340 Damage
Ignore Target Defense
-25% Target Defense
Prevent Monster Heal
20% Deadly Strike
35% Chance to cast Level 15 Venom on striking
161% Damage to Demons (Based on Character Level)
-24% to Enemy Poison Resistance
Socketed (5: 5 used)

Death Cleaver
Berserker Axe
'Eth'
One-Hand Damage: 84 to 251
Durability: 23 of 26
Required Dexterity: 59
Required Strength: 138
Required Level: 70
Fingerprint: 0x2bd0a079
+254% Enhanced Damage
+8 Life after each Kill
40% Increased Attack Speed
-58% Target Defense
66% Deadly Strike

Blade of Ali Baba (on switch)
Tulwar
'LemLem'
One-Hand Damage: 31 to 68
Durability: 31 of 32
Fingerprint: 0xc7df50b5
+8 to Dexterity
+15 to Mana
+96% Enhanced Damage
215% Extra Gold (Based on Character Level)
86% Better Chance of Getting Magic Items (Based on Character Level)

Blade of Ali Baba (on switch)
Tulwar
'LemLem'
Fingerprint: 0xbe80f8bf
+15 to Dexterity
+15 to Mana
+106% Enhanced Damage
215% Extra Gold (Based on Character Level)

Charms:

Code:
Fingerprint: 0x26cd1604
+61 to Attack Rating
+10 to Maximum Damage
26% Extra Gold from Monsters

Fingerprint: 0x707971e9
+49 to Attack Rating
+8 to Maximum Damage
27% Extra Gold from Monsters

Fine Grand Charm of Greed
Required Level: 16
Fingerprint: 0xb7052c4e
+48 to Attack Rating
+5 to Maximum Damage

Sharp Grand Charm of Life
Fingerprint: 0x737d5ec6
+8 to Life
+69 to Attack Rating
+10 to Maximum Damage

Amber Small Charm of Greed
Item Level: 62
Fingerprint: 0x36b7820a
Lightning Resist +11%

Fingerprint: 0x7c7923e2
Lightning Resist +11%

Fingerprint: 0xea1020f9
Lightning Resist +7%

Gheed's Fortune
Grand Charm
Fingerprint: 0xdb849896
140% Extra Gold from Monsters
Reduces All Vendor Prices 15%

Beryl Small Charm of Greed
Item Level: 3
Fingerprint: 0xf96ec537
Poison Resist +3%

Sounding Grand Charm of Greed
Fingerprint: 0x52ee30d7
28% Extra Gold from Monsters

Lapis Small Charm of Greed
Item Level: 19
Fingerprint: 0x3dfbfc87
Cold Resist +6%

Waheed, Might Merc:

Code:
Vampire Gaze
Grim Helm
Defense: 378
Durability: 21 of 21
Required Strength: 48
Item Level: 59
Fingerprint: 0x9f678bf5
+100% Enhanced Defense
Magic Damage Reduced by 12
Damage Reduced by 17%
Adds 6-22 cold damage over 4 seconds
6% Life stolen per hit
8% Mana stolen per hit
15% Increased Attack Speed
15% Slower Stamina Drain
Ethereal (Cannot be Repaired), Socketed (1: 1 used)

Jewel of Fervor
Fingerprint: 0x5161ff71

Duriel's Shell
Cuirass
Defense: 711
Durability: 150 of 150
Fingerprint: 0x80c2b5dd
+15 to Strength
+198% Enhanced Defense
Fire Resist +20%
Lightning Resist +20%
Cold Resist +50%
Poison Resist +20%
+100 Maximum Durability
Cannot Be Frozen
+107 to Defense (Based on Character Level)
+86 to Life (Based on Character Level)

Jewel of Fervor
Fingerprint: 0xdeb1dcaf

The Reaper's Toll
Thresher
'Shael'
Two-Hand Damage: 38 to 449
Durability: 65 of 65
Required Strength: 114
Polearm Class - Very Fast Attack Speed
Fingerprint: 0x8b36d443
+219% Enhanced Damage
Adds 4-44 cold damage over 1 seconds
12% Life stolen per hit
Requirements -25%
Ignore Target Defense
33% Deadly Strike
33% Chance to cast Level 1 Decrepify on striking

Journey

Normal
:

Envy setup + 2 part Arctic/Hsarus sets -> 3 part Sigon's -> 1.09 RC, Iratha's, Twitchthroe, Treads -> Mahim-Oak Curio, Hawkmail, dual Bloodletters, Venom Grip, Infernostrides, SoE, dual Manalds and Rockstopper. Switched to dual Butcher's Pupils at level 39, added in Arreat's at 42, then swapped in Duress, Crescent Moon, Ravenfrost, rare ring and Gore Riders at level 50. Moved to NM at 52.

Nightmare:

Butcher's Pupils owned hard, especially considering they don't hit the lowest WW breakpoint. Hit level 64 at the start of Act 4, swapped in Grief, Cranebeak and LoH. Switched Cranebeak to Razor's Edge at 67 then Death Cleaver came in at 70. Did a couple Baal runs, moving on to Hell at level 75.

Hell:

Did some Pit runs to see how he fared at that, no shock that he rocked. Might be an interesting run with Skullder's instead of Duress and MF charms. The Council dropped me just a couple hundred gold shy of 265,000 on my questing run, which surprised me a bit. Hellforge dropped a Fal, which was massively disappointing.

The Crystalline Passage was my first real test. Invaders, archers and ghosts. Every ghost bosspack I ran into was a dual pack with at least one bosspack of the other type playing backup. Lots of NDE's. One section had two ghost bosspacks (one ES and cursed) paired up with two Invader bosspacks; I had to make a couple trips back to town for more potions but finally got through it.

The Frozen River was easy. Undead Chargers, Vipers and witches. Two NDE's, one against a mana burn bosspack of vipers. Took a charge, lost my mana, downed a rejuv so I could whirl again and right clicked on the far side of the pack, but just before I clicked I took another charge so I ran around the entire pack instead of doing damage. Other was against Frozenstein, got stuck within the pack with no mana, but managed to conc one and whirl out.

Died in the Ancient's Way. Did a long whirl through a bosspack of bone mages that was supposed to take me through the bosspack of quill rats, but the rats moved out of the way at the last moment and I couldn't leech. Easy thing to retrieve the corpse and go berserk on the offenders.

Ancient's were no problem. Whirler was ES/Cursed, but none of the others had dangerous mods. WSK2 had gloams, ran into two bosspacks and they hurt. They hurt a lot. An awful lot. That's what you get for crappy resists, I suppose. Made it through without a death, but with a ton of NDE's. WSK3 had frenzytaurs and more OK's than you could shake a stick at. Ran/Leap attacked through the level, with four or so dead ends leading to some tense moments.

Throne was a breeze: witches, guardians and balrogs. Waves 1-4 dropped quickly. Lister and co. took awhile, but, save for killing the whittled down merc once, proved no danger. Baal similarly took a long time but posed little actual threat.

Deaths:

Three. The one in the Ancient's Way plus two in Nightmare, both to Iron Maiden.

Finds:

-NM Forge: Ko
-Hell Forge: Fal
-Fal rune in River of Flame (think it was horked)
-eth Medusa's Gaze in RoF (think it was horked)
-Blackoak Shield in Frozen River
-2CM/2LM Tal Rasha's Orb in Ancient's Way (think it was horked)
-Lum rune in the Throne of Destruction
-Beryl (14) Jewel of Fervor

The forges were extrememly disappointing. Was hoping for something from one or the other to help towards making a Death BA to go with the Grief, which was probably the problem. :rolleyes:

Thoughts:

Most people know the top to bottom of Whirlwind barbs, but I would like to say a few things about the weapons. Most people will tell you that Grief is probably the best weapon out there for WW, and I must open mouthedly agree. The damage is ridiculous, even at p8. The low durability of the Berserker Axe was noticeable, but not a huge hindrance because the massive damage kept most fights quite short. Compared to the Ribcracker, which requires about one repair per difficulty, it seems like a lot of trips, but it's worth it.

The Grief and Death Cleaver typically lose durability at the same pace with WW, though sometimes one will drop much faster than the other. To my surprise, the Grief isn't always ahead in those cases - the instances of one going yellow faster seemed to be about even between both - which really went against my original concern that the Grief would require constant repairing while the DC would be almost untouched.

Thar be Gold in Them Thar Demons

After reaching Patriarch, I scoured my stashes and gave him a new setup. It gives 1332% GF on the kill, and 2062% on hork. His first run with the new gear gave ~545,000 gold, which was nice.

Code:
Crown of Thieves
Grand Crown
'Lem'
Defense: 330
Fingerprint: 0x269f4fd
+25 to Dexterity
+50 to Life
+35 to Mana
+190% Enhanced Defense
Fire Resist +33%
11% Life stolen per hit

Wealth
Archon Plate
'LemKoTir'
Defense: 516
Fingerprint: 0x1041ecb4
+10 to Dexterity

Chance Guards
Chain Gloves
Fingerprint: 0x605e5f32
+23% Enhanced Defense
+25 to Attack Rating
+15 Defense
+2 to Light Radius

Spirit Clasp
Demonhide Sash
Defense: 29
Durability: 6 of 12
Required Level: 24
Item Level: 60
Fingerprint: 0x6745021e
Lightning Resist +10%
Cold Resist +24%
24% Faster Hit Recovery

Dwarf Star
Ring
Fingerprint: 0x652fd907
+40 to Life
+40 to Maximum Stamina
Heal Stamina Plus 15%
15% Fire Absorb

Dwarf Star
Ring
Fingerprint: 0xb043bb8c
+40 to Life
+40 to Maximum Stamina
Heal Stamina Plus 15%
15% Fire Absorb

Stone Tread
Mesh Boots
Defense: 62
Durability: 12 of 16
Required Level: 28
Fingerprint: 0x655b4b0a
+38% Enhanced Defense
Lightning Resist +38%
Cold Resist +36%
76% Extra Gold from Monsters
10% Faster Run/Walk

The weapons and amulet stayed the same.

Charms:

Code:
Gheed's Fortune
Grand Charm
Fingerprint: 0xdb849896
140% Extra Gold from Monsters

Shimmering Grand Charm of Greed
Item Level: 41
Fingerprint: 0xec68dbc
All Resistances +14
38% Extra Gold from Monsters

Sounding Grand Charm of Greed
Fingerprint: 0x52ee30d7
28% Extra Gold from Monsters

Fingerprint: 0x707971e9
+49 to Attack Rating
+8 to Maximum Damage
27% Extra Gold from Monsters

Fingerprint: 0x26cd1604
+61 to Attack Rating
+10 to Maximum Damage

Fingerprint: 0x7c7923e2
Lightning Resist +11%

Fingerprint: 0x36b7820a
Lightning Resist +11%

Fingerprint: 0xea1020f9
Lightning Resist +7%

Beryl Small Charm of Greed
Item Level: 3
Fingerprint: 0xf96ec537
Poison Resist +3%

Item Level: 19
Fingerprint: 0x3dfbfc87
Cold Resist +6%

Item Level: 7
Fingerprint: 0xa8463613
Cold Resist +7%
8% Extra Gold from Monsters

Item Level: 12
Fingerprint: 0xe49b5d9b
Lightning Resist +6%
6% Extra Gold from Monsters

Sapphire Small Charm of Greed
Item Level: 73
Fingerprint: 0x58dde2cf
Cold Resist +10%
6% Extra Gold from Monsters

That leaves a 3x4 space for picking up stuff - and the Council drops a lot of stuff - and gives the following resists after Battle Commands:

Fire - 12
Cold - 62
Lightning - 62
Poison - -18

Also dropped those five saved skill points, one in Natural Resistance, two in Find Item and two in Increased Speed. Additional points will go into Increased Speed.

I'm running at p1 for now, because the merc is super fragile - he likes to randomly stand in the middle of a huge group of hydras and look at the stars. I'll swap over to GA + Kira's and switch over to p3 and see how that works. The barb has no survival issues, save for one NDE against a Stone Skin Lightning Enchanted Toorc while under Conviction.

Here's a decent sized haul, 432,401. I moved several items out of the shot and two gold piles into the frame. The biggest haul thus far is 601,000; the lowest 68,000. I haven't timed runs yet because I've only done a few, but I'm guessing they're about a minute and a half, which I imagine I can get down with a little more speed and practice. Might not hurt to see if I can roll a map where the council is less spread out, as well.

Thanks To

-colony, for trading me the Grief
-Rummski, for the jewel in the Arreat's
-Ravenlord, for the rare ring
-sirpoopsalot, Jaedhann and AJK, for their goldfinder threads
-those who helped with my aforementioned thread

And you, for reading. May the good mojo come to rest in your dojo.

Last edited:
Originally posted by purplelocust on Apr 28, 2009:

Patriarch Vogonotronic, a Medusa's Gaze Tesladin

Patriarchs Vogonotronic, Medusa's Gaze Tesladin (and BeauBeau a BO barb)

The story:
The Medusa's Gaze Fireclaw bear Patriarch Jeltz has a young paladin friend Vogontronic. Sitting around the fire one evening with the venerable support barb BeauBeau:

Jeltz: "You wouldn't beleive this- old Calorique made me go out as a single-tree killer, with only this huge heavy shield that had a chance to cast Lower Resist (when struck!) to cope with immunes.

Vogontronic: "Ouch, that must have hurt, getting knocked around so much just waiting for the curse to go off."

J: "Yep, that was a world of hurt. At least I had terrible blocking and a huge life ball to cope. It's going to be even worse for you."

V: "Me? What do you mean by that? I'm just planning to be a standard telsadin with no backup attack whatsoever."

J: "Oh, oops, maybe nobody mentioned that your purpose of existence is to see how Medusa's Gaze does breaking LI monsters for a Tesladin. Get ready to get bruised."

V: "What?"

J: "Well, at least LI monsters are generally easier to break than FI ones. And you can have BeauBeau here come along, he'll more than double your life bulb. And you'll need that. Give him a poke and wake him up."

BeauBeau: "Snort. Oh joy, finally. I've been stuck at the Cold Plains waypoint of Hell for ages. I'm so bored of standing at the same WP for so long, just having characters pop back for my warcries. Finally someone will drag me along."

Quick summary:
This was another effort to get some use out of Medusa's Gaze. For Vanilla players, the CtC Lower Resist is a very weak approximation of Infinity, but it was enticing to me as a possible solution to a single-element elemental melee character. On the Fireclaws bear, it worked out OK. On this one, it was not really a success (as I predicted in this post.) I knew he was going to struggle, and he did, so he at least had the safety of MPing with my standard BO slave, BeauBeau, who got "rushed" (glacially) in the bargain. Lower Resist, once it goes off, is great for breaking immunes and it has about the same effect as a huge pile (10-ish) of facets, but the problem is that you have to get hit for it to go off.

Skills:
Standard pure lightning Tesladin: max Holy Shock, Resist Lightning and Salvation. No Holy Shield- he wanted to get hit.

Stats:
Level: 85
Str: 158/198
Dex: 95/136
Vit: 195/202
E: 15/22
65 unallocated

Resists with Fade active: 75/75/81/31
Life after BO: 2849
Listed Zeal damage: 739-10k
Zeal AR: 3315 (but Cresecent Moon has ITD)

Gear:

Harlequin Crest
Mara's
Treachery Great Hauberk/Shaftstop/Um'd Guardian Angel
Crescent Moon Phase Blade
Medusa's Gaze with -req% jewel
Raven Frost, BK rings
Laying of Hands (an ordinary 1.12 pair, not one of the 1.07 pairs I have)
Nosferatu's Coil
Marrowwalk boots
8 offensive skillers, resist small charms

Merc:
Vampire Gaze/Shaftstop&Treachery&Um'd Guardian Angel/eth Crescent Moon Thresher

As was usual for my Treachery wearing characters, the merc and the melee character were regularly swapping gear until Fade triggered.

Code:
Medusa's Gaze
Aegis
Defense: 451
Chance to Block: 24
Durability: 89 of 92
Required Level: 76
Required Strength: 187
Fingerprint: 0x60e6323e
Properties:
179% Enhanced Defense
Cold Resist +66%
5% Life stolen per hit
Slows Target by 20%
100% Chance to cast level 44 Nova when you Die
10% Chance to cast level 7 Lower Resist when struck
+20 Maximum Stamina
+41 to Attack Rating
+8 - 22 Fire Damage
Requirements -15%
1 Sockets (1 used)
Socketed: Blood Gyre

Blood Gyre
Jewel
Required Level: 28
Fingerprint: 0x761f9423
Properties:
+20 Maximum Stamina
+41 to Attack Rating
+8 - 22 Fire Damage
Requirements -15%

Crescent Moon
Phase Blade
One Hand Damage: 88 - 99
Indestructible
Required Level: 54
Required Dexterity: 136
Fingerprint: 0x6e014c9f
Properties:
184% Enhanced Damage
Ignore Target's Defense
+9 Magic Absorb
7% Chance to cast level 13 Static Field on striking
10% Chance to cast level 17 Chain Lightning on striking
Level 18 Summon Spirit Wolf (30/30 Charges)
-35% to Enemy Lightning Resistance
25% Chance of Open Wounds
3 Sockets (3 used)
Socketed: Shael Rune

Crescent Moon
Thresher
Two Hand Damage: 51 - 607
Required Level: 53
Required Strength: 142
Required Dexterity: 108
Fingerprint: 0x4854ead4
Properties:
188% Enhanced Damage
Ignore Target's Defense
+9 Magic Absorb
7% Chance to cast level 13 Static Field on striking
10% Chance to cast level 17 Chain Lightning on striking
Level 18 Summon Spirit Wolf (30/30 Charges)
-35% to Enemy Lightning Resistance
Ethereal
25% Chance of Open Wounds
3 Sockets (3 used)
Socketed: Shael Rune

Gameplay for Vogonotronic:

Norm and NM: those were enchanted and self-rushed, a blur. Enchant + Kuko + NM cows = many levels quickly. I've played enough Tesladins already to not worry about the play through Normal and Nightmare. I started gearing up and playing for real in A5. As I feared, the Medusa's Gaze LR didn't go off very much. I experimented with gear in NM Baal runs, while levelling. One benefit was that I actually wore (temorarily) a Templar's Might. One side goal to a grail is to have a character actually wear, let alone play with, each item. Templar's Might is kind of a terrible armor for this character, but at least he had the strength to wear it when it was Hel'd. The big defense is a bad idea for a character who tries to get hit all the time. I did do some full /players 8 NM Baal runs wearing my Hel'd Templar's Might. The added defence was noticeable (not as noticeable as the added greenness, though) as LR didn't go off at all, during any of the runs. Then I switched back to Guardian Angel for a while. Which is also kind of a bad armor for a character trying to get hit, with the added block, of course. When actually questing, he was generally wearing Treachery and Shaftstop, swapping with the merc.

There were a lot of deaths in Hell. Monsters hit hard and he was relying on Treachery, and was having problems with both the Fade going off often enough even with the lowish defense on that. The dex for the CM phase blade and the decent blocking a paladin has with Medusa's Gaze is a bad combination for a character whose battle plan is to get hit over and over again. The Fade wasn't triggering too often and had a habit of wearing off at incovenient times.

Corpse recovery was a problem from time to time. BeauBeau was useless in that respect, as he was built to just stand around and BO and the most he could possibly be counted on was to make a convenenient TP or occasionally dash in and Howl some monsters away. There were some idiotic deaths from hitting escape to pause, then remembering it was an MP game. Ooops. It wasn't like BeauBeau was doing much so it was easy to forget!

One thing I should have realized earlier- it was better for BeauBeau to host than Vogonotronic, since V was dying and losing the Anya resist bonuses. And that let me mule items off by leaving the game instead of needing to restart and rehost.

Many LIs were breakable with the LR, though there were intermittently bosses which weren't. I went with a matching Crescent Moon for the merc, so it didn't turn so much into "watch the merc deal with LIs". On non LI monsters at /players 1, they went down very quickly and the LR almost never went off. It was only against LIs that the LR would generally go off. It broke most LIs, and even the ones it didn't break still the LR helped as there were some other elemental damage sources from the merc.

The slow on Medusa's + Nosferatu's was very nice. On the other hand, it meant I wasn't getting hit as often, which was a significant minus for the LR going off.

I was worried about AR against bosses since the ITD doesn't work there, but they weren't bad at all. More memorable were a string of LI/PI SUs in Hell Durrance 3: I think all three of Bremm, Maffer and Wyand were LI/PI and took quite some time. Bremm had Conviction as well, to boot.

Doll blasts hurt a great deal.

The Hell CS was actually no problem- I had been dying enough that I resigned myself to just whacking away, listening for the dreaded IM sound and hoping to avoid dying. The standard method of running around to kill the mages first worked well and with Fade, the curse durations were short enough that it was easy to wait them out. I did lose the merc in there twice but all in all, it was pretty smooth for not having a backup plan. The Infector pack was the worst and took a little picking apart, but the slow was very helpful. De Seis was a pushover.

For Diablo, I was able to arrange an active experience shrine, and it didn't take long to kill him. Once again, he was dead before LR triggered but I know he was landing some hits in there.

In A5, the LR would go off more often (particularly with ranged attackers) but still not that regularly. I got reasonable mixtures of guest monsters, although I did reroll when getting Gloams in WSK. The Ancients were straightforward- none were LI after LR went off. BeauBeau cowered in the corner during the Ancient's battle, his specialty.

Baal didn't take long but wasn't too quick. I don't think LR went off for him, even!

I'm sure gameplay would have been faster and smoother with a HoZ instead, and I resisted using some of the 1.07 gear that would also have made this a cakewalk. A Lower Resist wand on switch would have been much less painful! On the werebears, using a wand meant transforming back to human form, so the CtC Lower Resist made more sense there. Here, it wasn't particularly worthwhile.

Stats/Gear/Gameplay for BeauBeau:

L74
Str 73
Dex 63
Vit 40
E 30
Unallocated: 357
Life: 1004 after BO

Skills: 20 in BO/BC/Shout

BO: 50, +182% life/mana, 720 seconds duration
BC: 47, duration 665 seconds
Shout 47: defense +560%, duration 680 seconds

Gear:
Echoing Lion Helm of the Fox +3 Warcries, +3BO
Echoing amulet of Wizardry
dual echoing weapons
Myth dusk shroud
dual SoJ

10 skillers

Not much to say about gameplay for BeauBeau as he didn't play the game! He's been a regular helper character for quite some time and was rushed to Hell years ago. He stopped in A1 Hell with the Cold Plains WP and he's been there forever, as that was all that was needed! But he stood in town as Vogontronic quested and now he has "earned" (well, been awarded) the Patriarch title, and gotten a few more WPs to stand at for the future. Having a 12-minute strong BO was great, of course. He spent most of the time in town or at a vacant WP. He did get a few opportunties to cower and leech exp: Hell Diablo, Ancients, Hell Ball, and some Throne runs. I would like to level him up to 81 so he can wear Arachnid Mesh (then giving level 51 BO) and then I think he can look forward to not being in danger ever again. Having a stash full of skillers and no cube is a pain as far as picking things up, or even using TPs.

Code:
BeauBeau's Echoing Lion Helm of the Fox
Lion Helm
Defense: 74
Durability: 35 of 35
Required Strength: 73
Fingerprint: 0x3ed8503f
Properties:
+6 to Life
+1 to Iron Skin (Barbarian Only)
+3 to Battle Orders (Barbarian Only)
+3 to Warcry Skills (Barbarian Only)
2 Sockets (0 used)

Summary:
Vogonotronic probably concludes my "Medusa's Gaze" experiment. The verdict: Medusa's Gaze is pretty useless. And heavy. Two things I knew beforehand, but now I'm quite sure! I had hoped that since on average LIs are easier to break than FIs, this would be kind of a reasonable plan. But my conclusion is that Medusa's Gaze is pretty useless, as I (and many others) had feared. A CtC Lower Resist could be a great thing if it were on anything but a shield! (Or a crossbow, Pus Spitter is just as bad on that front. ) Being able to use a two-handed weapon, for example, would be great. Or with a weapon with a lower dex requirement, so blocking wasn't so good (except that phase blades are great for elemental zealots for a number of reasons, including the non-repair issue.)

Last edited:
Originally posted by purplelocust on Apr 16, 2009:

Patriarch Iakhe, a Vanilla 200FCR Singer

Patriarch Iakhe, Vanilla 200FCR Singer

The story:
I've never had a 200FCR character, and I've never had an LoD singer. The 200FCR is not easy to get with a sorc in Vanilla, but it's not a problem with a barb. Via dual Wizardspikes, I did it without using the armor spot which gives a lot of flexibility there.

Quick summary:
It's all about managing the big blue ball.

Skills:
Pretty simple: War Cry and its synergies. No masteries or combat skills. Just one point in Shout, BO and BC at the moment.

Stats:
Level: 82
Str: 56/125
Dex: base/60
Vit: 300
E: 10
119 unallocated

Resists all 75.
Life before BO/after a wimpy BO: 1603/2870
Mana before BO/after a wimpy BO: 1127/1517

Listed War Cry damage at 200FCR:1104-1150
Listed War Cry damage at 105+ FCR: 1400-ish

Gear
This is his current setup. I'm planning on tinkering with his gear more so this is a snapshot:

1.07 Valkerie Wing (30% FCR)
crafted 20% FCR amulet with huge +dex and +mana
Enigma breastplate
dual Hel'd 1.07 Wizardspikes (50% FCR each, 95 resist all each)
Magefist 20% FCR
1.07 rare FCR ring with +25 mana per kill
Arachnid Mesh 20%FCR
SoJ
Silkweave boots
dual Echoing weapons on switch

Charms:
5 warcry skillers, 3 grand Serpent's charms, many Serpent's small charms with dex and life
Total mana from charms is about 250.

Earlier gear:
Iakhe entered Hell at 72 with the following gear:

+3 War Cry/+3 Warcries helm with 2 PSapphires
Wyrm's amulet of the apprentice (from 1.07 prismatic recipe!)
dual hel'd 1.07 wizardspikes
Enigma BP
Frostburns
rare fcr trimuphant 1.07 rings (+40 mana per kill total)
Cow King's boots (for dex!)
Tal Rasha's belt
dual Echoing on switch
5 skillers
mana charms galore

Merc gear:
Reapers + Rockstopper + eth Shaftstop

Readouts

Code:
Grim Talisman
Amulet
Required Level: 73
Fingerprint: 0x13c587e6
Item Level: 94
Properties: 
+6 to Strength
+20 to Dexterity
+107 to Mana
5% Regenerate Mana
20% Faster Cast Rate

Wraith Touch
Ring
Required Level: 3
Fingerprint: 0x4805235a
Item Level: 5
Properties: 
+2 to Strength
29% Extra Gold from Monsters
10% Faster Cast Rate
+25 to Mana after each Kill

Valkyrie Wing
Winged Helm
Defense: 127
Durability: 32 of 40
Required Level: 44
Required Strength: 115
Fingerprint: 0x3ce82d4a
Properties: 
+35 Defense
30% Increased Attack Speed
30% Faster Run/Walk
30% Faster Hit Recovery
30% Faster Cast Rate
1 Sockets (0 used)

Iakhe's Echoing Lion Helm of Light
Lion Helm
Defense: 67
Durability: 35 of 35
Required Strength: 73
Fingerprint: 0x537c8f7f
Properties: 
+1 to Light Radius
+1 to Taunt (Barbarian Only)
+3 to War Cry (Barbarian Only)
+76 to Mana
2 Sockets (2 used)

Viper Grip
Ring
Required Level: 13
Fingerprint: 0x71c2ee3c
Properties: 
+6 to Energy
+12 to Mana
+3 to Minimum Damage
Lightning Resist +25%
10% Faster Cast Rate
+15 to Mana after each Kill

Wizardspike
Bone Knife
Indestructible
Required Strength: 31
Required Dexterity: 60
Fingerprint: 0x32cedc98
Properties: 
15% Regenerate Mana
15% Increase Maximum Mana
50% Faster Cast Rate
164 to Mana (Based on Char Lvl)
All Resistances +95
Requirements -20%
1 Sockets (1 used)
Socketed: Hel Rune

Wizardspike
Bone Knife
Indestructible
Required Strength: 31
Required Dexterity: 60
Fingerprint: 0x375ee128
Properties: 
15% Regenerate Mana
15% Increase Maximum Mana
50% Faster Cast Rate
164 to Mana (Based on Char Lvl)
All Resistances +95
Requirements -20%
1 Sockets (1 used)
Socketed: Hel Rune

The gear, nice as it is, is open for tinkering. Somewhere I have a good rare diadem with 20FCR and barb skills and mana that I meant for this character, but I haven't found it in my stashes yet. I'm also pretty sure I have a Berserker's circlet of the magus that I socketed for such a build a while ago (I remember it getting just one socket) but I haven't found that one either. I had planned to be using the rare diadem and another FCR triumphant 1.07 ring, instead of the 1.07 Nightwing's and SoJ combo. Another option is to go with that +3 Warcry/+3 Warcries helm and swap out the Enigma for Vipermagi, but the teleport (and other Enigma mods) are so great for getting into packs that I prefer that.

Finds:
NM forge: Sol
Hell forge: Hel, but there was a nice "all diamond" drop for the gems. As many Hellforges as I've done, I don't think I've ever seen all the same kind of gem drop.

Other finds: Iakhe was wearing a fair amount of MF while questing, from the Cow Kings boots, then Enigma, and so he got a reasonable amount of drops even though he was /players 1 throughout Hell. The highlight was probably a Carrion Wind dropping in WSK1. He had a 31 resists Vipermagi drop, and added to my ethereal grail in a few spots. And there were some nice charm drops, including some that he ended up using: a Shimmering small charm of Dex (5 resists, 2 dex) as well as a Serpent's small charm of Good Luck (15 mana, 6% MF). It wasn't like he needed resists but Shimmering is always great, and when it gets a useful suffix that's quite a nice find.

Gameplay

The main thing with this warcry barb were mana issues. Improving the mana pool with +mana items and +% mana items is the most important part, but of course +mana regen helps as well. I'm usually happy just to chug blue potions to solve mana problems, but for a barb the mana for even a super mana potion is not large and would just result in the blue line falling a little tiny bit more slowly. Usually it was quicker to TP back to town than to refill with blues, even with a full column of them on the belt. It kind of reminded me of huge life druids and healing pots in 1.09, where keeping the red ball full was always a concern.

For packs of small monsters, the huge +mana/kill from his two 1.07 rings was just great. He was wearing them for a very long time and they worked wonders with packs from when he starting crying. Large single targets were tedious with the mana issues for much of the game. Even wearing gear filled with sapphires mana was still a primary concern.

I knew I'd eventually be using the wow 1.07 Wizardspikes at 95 resist all each, so with +190 resist coming I didn't need for once to worry about resists at all. I think this is the first 1.10+ playing barb where I haven't put a single point into Natural Resist (or any masteries, or any combat skills, for that matter) ever.

Entering Hell, he was still at the mere 105 FCR breakpoint. Hell was players 1 all the way (except some levelling runs with flayers and so on.) It wasn't until level 81 (not reached until A5) when he was able to equip Arachnid Mesh that he went for the full 200 FCR gear. He definitely missed the huge 37% damage to mana from Tal Rasha's belt- that let him continue to get at least a few War Cries off after getting mana burnt. In general, mana burn packs were a pain since the mana from a blue potion wasn't quick enough to replenish the cries. But once they were stunned it generally was OK.

Deaths: yes. Not too many but I was saving a lot of stat points (base energy and dex with 200-ish saved stat points when entering Hell.) I was keeping a bunch of stat points unallocated since I wasn't sure if I needed to invest in energy once I could get to my full FCR and +mana gear in hell. I was loathe to put anything in Energy because of the terrible yield for barbs but I wanted to have that option if once I got to end-game gear if I still was watching the blue ball race downward. Once I realized that I would be OK for mana at 200FCR, I put a decent chunk into Vitality and never had any serious problems after that. Along the way, there were some deaths from dolls, some deaths from cursed hard hitters, and some surprise deaths from death explosions or FE LE bosses. I've been playing other characters using Treachery and I missed the curse reduction and DR from that. Generally corspe recovery was a serious pain as I couldn't cry much without all the gear, so it was follow the merc around and Howl my way to the corpse.

I had considered using Hel'd dual 1.12 ethereal Wizardspikes (for even lower dex requirements) but the 1.07 ones are just too wonderful. I looked forward to Conviction bosses as they wouldn't dent my resists. (My merc was not a fan of them.) One problem is that I would inadvertently swing from time to time, so ethereal ones may have gotten slowly used up. I didn't have anything to put on left click that would stay through a weapon switch so that was generally the issue with inadvertent attacks.

I knew I had the crafted 20FCR amulet with the huge dex on the way, so for much of the game I wore the Cow King boots for the 20 dex and the Tal Rasha's belt for another 20 dex, which was most of what I needed for the Hel'd wizardspikes right there.

Basic play: teleport into a mob, rattle off War Cry, repeat. Hell actually went quite fast. Teleporting at high FCR was wonderful, and even walking to let the blue ball fill was quite quick with all the FRW. Ranged attackers were an annoyance but were easily Taunted to come close and that would give me some time again for the blue ball to refill. The teleport is also fantastic for merc management.

Once I got the merc using Reapers it was great for speeding up the killing via War Cry. At lower levels, I'd been having the merc use a rare CtC Amp pole but the Reaper's was so much better. Amp was better when it went off, but there was no comparison with how often (5% vs. 33%) the curses went off. With Amp, most of the time by the time the Amp went off, the monsters were almost dead anyway. Decrep was sufficient to break physical immunes, generally, but the killing rate was slow enough that often I would just skip past PI.

Swarming monsters were the best- they run up and die, and with the +50-ish mana per kill, I could just keep crying indefinitely with a full bulb. So for levelling the Flayer Jungle was perfect when the monster roll came out with the two types of swarmers with no ranged ones, and I could easily bump the player count up then. I haven't tried cows yet but those should also be reasonable.

One nice thing was that there were times to make good use of Battle Cry, which was maxed. At level 38 or so, it gives "-116%" to monster defense.
I assume that is capped at bumping things down to zero. For example, against Baal, my merc was having a hard time hitting Baal, but once Baal was Battle Cried, the merc would hit right away and thankfully his Decrep would go off, (cancelling the Battle Cry, but that wasn't important at that point) improving my damage speed.

I did the Ancients in the 200FCR setup and they went somewhat quickly. It was on /players 1. I didn't actually even read the mods. I pretty much just held down War Cry and since my blue bulb didn't zero out, there must not have been a mana burn one of them.

Baal deserves his own paragraph- he took forever. Well, at least 15 minutes or so. The mana burn was a serious annoyance and it took a long long time to whittle him down. Many trips to town for refilling the blue ball and loading up on potions, which just delayed going back to town a little bit except for the purples.

Plans for the future
I am thinking about using him for LK runs, as a change of pace from my beloved Tweak (105 FCR sorc who has worn grooves in LK.) The Howl is a plus for the barb, but not having TK is a serious minus. So I'll experiment with a good setup for that. Howl is nice for scattering monsters. I think the sorc will be faster for LK runs overall, but a change of pace would be welcome in LK to be honest.

Another idea is to regear him as a Trav runner. The Piles of Money tourney is beckoning and I have yet to make an entry there. I'm a little concerned because regearing him with GF gear will reduce the mana pool significantly and he'll lose +skills, so there is a balance to strike there. And I haven't put any points in Find Item yet.

Given his safety, I think a WC barb could be a good HC option. But I don't have such good gear for a build in HC, and I think it would be safe but quite slow with more moderate gear.

I haven't MP'd him yet with a real BO barb, which should help a fair amount with his mana and life bulbs. I had figured I could do that instead of self-investing in BO, but he was fine with his single hard point BO since there were a lot of +warcries and +skill items.

I'm sure that Insight would be a big help, particularly when levelling, but that's not a Vanilla option!

Originally posted by sirpoopsalot on Dec 19, 2007:

LaTiFrigginDa, another patriarch (Firemage/Singer Barb)

Well, other than a leaper or concentration barb (the latter of which sounds too boring for me), I think I've tried just about every barbarian build now. This one was a quite different than most.

Patriarch LaTiFrigginDa
Level82
Str: 107
Dex: 61
Vit: 378
nrg: 15

Life: 4416 (with BO)
Mana: 1211 (with BO) <--- pretty good considering my (lack of) investment into energy
Resists: 80f/75c/75l/75p

Warcry Damage: 986-1020 (8-frame casting speed)
Firewall Damage: 1963-1990
Berzerk Damage: 2437-3655

Skills:
Firewall: 24 (total, with BattleCommand active)

Warcry: 20
Battle Orders: 20
Battle Cry: 20
Taunt: 19+
Battle Command: 1
Berzerk: 1
Leap Attack: 1
Mace Mastery: 1
Increased Speed: 1
Natural Resistance: 1
Prereq's: 1

+8 all skills (with BattleCommand active)
+7 Warcries (additional)

Equipment:
W1: Wizardspike (Hel)
W2: HotO (33)
Switch: upgraded Ribcracker (289% ED, Eth rune)
Armor: +3 Firewall Ormus Robes (11%, +3/5 Die Fire Facet)
Helm: Trang's (3/5 Levelup Fire Facet)
Gloves: Trang's
Belt: Trang's
Boots: Waterwalk
Rings: 2x SoJ
Ammy: Mara's (25)

Charms:
- 7x Warcry skillers (1xPlain, +5 Str, +5 Dex, Inertia, +22 & +19 Life, 15 Poison Damage)
- 7x Steel SC's (Life, Balance, Inertia, Dex, stuff)
- 1x Toxic SC of Vita (100/20)

Merc:
level82, Might merc
'Insight' eth Cryptic Axe
'Duress' Archon Plate
Vampire Gaze (+10 res all jewel)

Notable Finds:
Once again, I kept detailed notes of my drops. Overall, I'd say he was very, very lucky for the fact that I didn't wear MF. In addition, I've always been curious about the number gem drops through the game (just because), so I kept track of flawless ones too (including Hellforge):

Hellforge: Tir/Lum/Gul 😃
3x Shael runes (highest non-HF drops)

Witchwild String (PERFECT!!! :shocked:)
Eschuta's Temper (+3, 11/17)
Serpent Lord (eth)
Bartuc's Cut-Throat
Todesfaelle Flamme
Ginther's Rift
Coldkill
Razor's Edge

Preserver's skiller
Fletcher's skiller (+2 Max Damage)
Sapphire SC of Strength (perfect)
Serpents SC of Inertia (13/3)
Rusty Jewel of Wrath (required level = 9, so nice for a level9 dueller)

Flawless Amethyst: 11
Flawless Diamond: 17
Flawless Emerald: 20
Flawless Ruby: 15
Flawless Skull: 15
Flawless Sapphire: 8
Flawless Topaz: 22

Notes:
1. Well, that was interesting 😁. I'll say it was fun for most of the time, but he really started to slow down for the last couple of acts. It didn't help that there were a lot of FI monsters spawning, so I was stuck almost entirely with Taunt, Warcry, and my low-end Berzerk a lot of the time. My recent enchantress had a much more friendly non-FI monster spawn late-game.

2. Progress was the usual: Jewels of Envy until 15, 1.09 Raveclaw until 30, Warcry afterwards (2x Spirit Crystal swords). He was a pure-singerbarb until Act5 Nightmare when he was able to equip all of the Trang's pieces and start using Firewall. I did a couple of Baal runs to hit level 75 (Ormus) before entering Hell. Normal and Nightmare were entirely on /players8, Hell entirely on /players1.

3. I'd say I was pretty balanced between my killspeeds with Firewall & Warcry. I certainly relied upon the stunning from WC a lot, and obviously I slowed down against Fire Immunes, but not unbearably so (until late-game). The merc was a big help against a lot of FI monsters. I didn't use berzerk very much except for against bosses (since my other skills sucked pretty badly in those cases, and I didn't want to be a 'zerker), and an occasional PI monster (PI Hell Witches in WSK3 were the most noteworthy).

4. In case you're wondering, the Ormus Robes does indeed increase the skill level of Trang's Firewall, despite the skill saying Sorceress Only. If it hadn't, I probably would've used Trang's Armor for the +Meteor to help on bosses.

5. I used the charges of Oak Sage (from HotO) a little bit - with my high level BO I could reliably keep the sage alive for a minute or two, so it was a nice little life-boost for a couple of areas like the Ancients (it would give me another ~1000 life). For the most part though, I didn't bother with it, since it was a little too much like babysitting sometimes.

6. I drank a lot of red and purple potions. Thankfully with the high-life it was pretty easy to keep up with monster-damage. I did have a few NDE's around hard-hitters though, but always managed to drink a purple potion before dying, except for...

7. The FE-bug. I know this was supposed to be fixed, but I think I read somewhere here that it wasn't entirely addressed in NM. I'm guessing that's accurate, since one of the council members in NM insta-killed me with his death explosion - despite my 80% fire resistance and ~2300 life at the time (and there wasn't a conviction aura active either). I was not pleased.

8. I was kindof curious about high-level battlecry's affect on enemy defense. In game, it shows my level35 BC lowers an enemy defense by 118%. Huh? Does that mean that I can drive monster defense into the negative numbers (even if I 'only' attain a 95% chance-to-hit)? Regardless, it was a necessary skill to use whenever I was using Berzerk - since my Berzerk AR was about 2000. :p That's also why I resocketed the Ribby with an Eth instead of the Shael that was in it before.

9. I'm not sure if I should have made my last skill Howl instead of Taunt. I used Taunt a lot, so the boosted level was nice, but Howl would have synergized my Berzerk damage... something to consider if anyone ever tries to use this thread as a 'guide' (and reads this far :rolleyes:).

10. I grabbed a few screenshots along the way:
- A typical battlescene
- Ditto
- Ditto. Except these guys hurt: Gloams, Ghosts, & Witches. IIRC I drank 13 of the 16 full-purple potions I had getting to Anya on that level.
- What a lovely location for the stairs to Durance3 :p

Major Thanks to:
- Lothric, for the idea of trying the Oak Sage on Heart of the Oak, the knowledge of +Firewall Ormus working, and especially for his writeup on his magebarb Ishum (at some other site).
- Thyiad, for generously donating the Ormus robes
- TopHatCat64, for trading the 5x Warcry skillers
- Hellforge, for the Gul
- and RWM for access to Insight + Spirit... both made the journey a lot more bearable.

Last edited:
Originally posted by sirpoopsalot on Nov 24, 2009:

Patriarch LuckyLuke - Best Possible Lower Kurast Runner

After all of the LK runs over the years to finally make an Enigma (including building a couple of customized runners already), I made... another LK runner. :p

Although sorceresses rule the roost in LK, that's simply a matter of budget (read: not many people have an Enigma). Otherwise, there are other classes that have other skills (beyond teleport) that are good fits for serious LK runs. Classes like... barbarians.

Patriarch LuckyLuke, Level88
Str: 125
Dex: 60
Vit: 400
Ene: 25 (yes, I spent a few points here)

Life: 1923 (without BO, since I won't be casting it during my runs)
Mana: 831 (without BO)
Resists: 75 all

Skills:
19 (23) Increased Speed
20 Battle Orders
20 Warcry
12 Howl
10 Taunt
10 BattleCry
1 BattleCommand, MaceMastery, Berserk, prereq's

Gear:
2x Hel-socketed Wizardspike
Enigma
1.07 Valk Wing (PSapphire)
Magefists
Arachnid's Mesh
IK Boots
Bahamut's Ring of the Apprentice (101/10)
Rare ring (10 FCR, 90 mana, stuff)
crafted amulet (18 FCR, 9 dex, +1 barb skills, +15 mana, 10 regen)
switch: 'Harmony' Hunters Bow

Merc: Prayer, level88
Insight + Gloom + Crown of Thieves

Finds:
Hellforge: Pul/Um (yay!!!)
Highlord's Wrath

Notes:
1. He's got 200 FCR for a 7-frame casting speed. That's as fast as the fastest sorceress.

2. He's also got a ridiculous amount of FRW. 115 from equipment, and an additional 44 or 80 from skills (depending on which weapon-switch is active). He can run almost as fast as he can teleport.

3. His primary spells from this point will be Howl and War Cry (and Teleport). He's got crowd manipulation that a sorceress doesn't have, as well as better mobility and tanking for optimized LK runs.

4. Leveling up = slow. The merc was using a Fortitude & VampGaze with the Insight, and provided ~95% of my killing power. Luke's gear had a much higher emphasis on +skills (about +20) and +mana, while dropping down to 105 FCR. I also used Ribcracker + Berserk (+BattleCry) on switch for fighting bosses and the occasional PI.

5. The levelup process was a matter of slogging through Normal & NM on /players8, then I did ~100 Countess runs on /p1 from 75-80. After that I quested through Hell on /p1 and killed boss packs along the way, finishing just short of level 83. After a few /p8 Pindle runs to get to 83 I joined some MP Baal runs to push through to 86. After that I was anxious to get him finished, so I decided to just slog through on Pindle, which required about ~150 runs /p8 late last night (about 85 seconds per run), with my merc killing almost everything. Thankfully all his levelup runs are done.

6. No deaths. Probably a couple of NDE's, though he had ~4500 life with full questing gear, so when it looked like his lifebulb was empty he still usually had 600-800 life. :p Throw on a stunning spell like Warcry and monster-manipulation spells like Howl and Taunt, and it was pretty easy to quaff a purple potion before getting killed by even the most dangerous monsters. The only real threat to the build is Fire-Enchanted-death-explosions in Nightmare (stupid bug), but I was careful to avoid those.

7. Thanks for the MP sessions everyone.

Overall:
I've always wanted to make a "best possible build", and I think this will all add up to an absolute top-end LK runner, better for the task than any other possible build (not that I currently have much enthusiasm to put more time in LK, but when the time comes :p)...

Originally posted by @T72on1 on Nov 20, 2018:

Patriarch Mr_H - Singer Barb with a career switch

1585378611873.png

I've always wanted to make a Singer Barb, but never got around to do so. When this beauty dropped during this year's MFO ...

1585378596066.png

... I just knew I had to be starting to use some rares at some point, and this was the perfect excuse to do so. Singer obviously immediately came to mind. Later on, when actually planning such a Singer, it occured to me that, for the strongest setup, this Circlet actually wouldn't be necessary, as a Singer Barb gets plenty of fcr from dual Hoto, Arachnid's and one other piece of gear. So I decided that, after reaching pat status, he would be converted to a 200% fcr chest runner. But more on that later.

I started out Mr_H, who is named after my favourite singer Steve Hogarth from the brilliant band Marillion, as a Double Swing Barb, using full Death's set, dualing wielding two swords of the set. After reaching level 30 I respecced to a Singer.

This character only had one major goal: get through the game as fast as possible. So I also put a point into Increased Speed and ran through the game, only doing the necessary and/or useful quests, and mainly killing boss packs only. Certainly after reaching the level to use Enigma, this obviously went very fast.

Near the end of NM however, killing speed slowed down, and I realized I wouldn't be able to go through Hell fast, unless I settled for a low player setting, which would mean finishing Hell at level 75 or so. While a chest runner doesn't really need to be high level, and in this particular case I probably would have more than enough skill points to spend at that level for the intended purpose, it just felt wrong to pat a character at such low level.

So I decided to respec Mr_H into a WW Barb. This way he teleported and spinned his way through Hell on /p5. When killing Baal he was level 81, which is still low, but probably good enough. This is his endgame readout:

Name: Mr_H
Class: Barbarian
Experience: 762455309
Level: 81

Naked/Gear
Strength: 95/178
Dexterity: 129/150
Vitality: 266/266
Energy: 10/10
HP: 1239/1282
Mana: 90/417
Stamina: 413/433
Defense: 32/1680
AR: 630/32046

Fire: 270/230/170
Cold: 220/180/120
Lightning: 272/232/172
Poison: 220/180/120

MF: 87 Block: 20
GF: 10 FR/W: 89
FHR: 30 IAS: 40
FCR: 100

Bash: 1/8
Leap: 1/8
Double Swing: 0/0
Stun: 1/8
Double Throw: 0/0
Leap Attack: 1/8
Concentrate: 1/8
Frenzy: 0/0
Whirlwind: 20/27
Berserk: 1/8

Sword Mastery: 20/25
Axe Mastery: 0/0
Mace Mastery: 0/0
Pole Arm Mastery: 0/0
Throwing Mastery: 0/0
Spear Mastery: 0/0
Increased Stamina: 1/6
Iron Skin: 1/6
Increased Speed: 1/6
Natural Resistance: 7/12

Howl: 1/6
Find Potion: 1/6
Taunt: 1/6
Shout: 1/6
Find Item: 9/14
Battle Cry: 1/6
Battle Orders: 20/25
Grim Ward: 0/0
War Cry: 0/0
Battle Command: 1/6

Sharp Grand Charm of Inertia
Grand Charm
Fingerprint: 0xc0bb00b7
+7% Faster Run/Walk
+7 to Maximum Damage
+74 to Attack Rating

Sharp Grand Charm
Grand Charm
Fingerprint: 0x6fe30393
+9 to Maximum Damage
+49 to Attack Rating

Sharp Grand Charm of the Glacier
Grand Charm
Fingerprint: 0xbfa52ad9
+8 to Maximum Damage
+68 to Attack Rating
Adds 3 - 7 Cold Damage Over 1 Secs (25 Frames)

Grand Charm
Fingerprint: 0xbb4ddf76
+7 to Maximum Damage
+52 to Attack Rating
+20 to Life

Sharp Grand Charm
Grand Charm
Fingerprint: 0x24ea1d2a
+9 to Maximum Damage
+64 to Attack Rating

Sharp Grand Charm
Grand Charm
Fingerprint: 0x54d91c50
+8 to Maximum Damage
+56 to Attack Rating

Grand Charm
Fingerprint: 0xcdcdfa7e
+8 to Maximum Damage
+56 to Attack Rating
+8 to Life

Sharp Grand Charm of Inertia
Grand Charm
Fingerprint: 0xa34ca193
+7% Faster Run/Walk
+10 to Maximum Damage
+56 to Attack Rating

Fine Small Charm of Greed
Small Charm
Fingerprint: 0xd4aca937
+3 to Maximum Damage
+11 to Attack Rating

Fine Small Charm of Strength
Small Charm
Fingerprint: 0xfc5780fa
+3 to Maximum Damage
+18 to Attack Rating
+2 to Strength

Fine Small Charm of Sustenance
Small Charm
Fingerprint: 0x3732ee9e
+3 to Maximum Damage
+19 to Attack Rating
+15 to Life

Fine Small Charm
Small Charm
Fingerprint: 0x37a7021d
+3 to Maximum Damage
+20 to Attack Rating

Fine Small Charm of Lightning
Small Charm
Fingerprint: 0x2eff5f2f
+3 to Maximum Damage
+20 to Attack Rating
Adds 1 - 7 Lightning Damage

Fine Small Charm of Strength
Small Charm
Fingerprint: 0x53f48333
+3 to Maximum Damage
+20 to Attack Rating
+1 to Strength

Fine Small Charm of Dexterity
Small Charm
Fingerprint: 0x7103af3d
+3 to Maximum Damage
+16 to Attack Rating
+1 to Dexterity

Highlord's Wrath
Amulet
Fingerprint: 0xb61bc280
+1 to All Skills
+20% Increased Attack Speed
Adds 1 - 30 Lightning Damage
30% Deadly Strike (Based on Character Level)
Lightning Resist +35%
Attacker Takes Lightning Damage of 15

Enigma
Mage Plate
JahIthBer
Defense: 992
Durability: 38 of 60
Required Strength: 55
Fingerprint: 0x81689074
+2 to All Skills
+45% Faster Run/Walk
+1 to Teleport
+751 Defense
+60 to Strength (Based on Character Level)
Increase Maximum Life 5%
Damage Reduced by 8%
+14 Life after each Kill
15% Damage Taken Goes To Mana
81% Better Chance of Getting Magic Items (Based on Character Level)
3 Sockets (3 used)
Socketed: Jah Rune
Socketed: Ith Rune

Entropy Loop
Ring
Required Level: 46
Fingerprint: 0xb57c00ab
Item Level: 81
12% Chance to cast level 4 Charged Bolt when struck
+87 to Attack Rating
4% Mana stolen per hit
5% Life stolen per hit
+3 to Mana
6% Better Chance of Getting Magic Items

Dread Grip
Ring
Fingerprint: 0xbc4907a8
+4 to Minimum Damage
+105 to Attack Rating
7% Life stolen per hit
Replenish Life +4
All Resistances +10
Lightning Resist +17%

String of Ears
Demonhide Sash
Defense: 103
Durability: 11 of 22
Fingerprint: 0x8803808c
8% Life stolen per hit
+154% Enhanced Defense
+15 Defense
Damage Reduced by 15%
+10 Maximum Durability

Gore Rider
War Boots
Defense: 143
Durability: 18 of 34
Required Strength: 94
Fingerprint: 0x51a70e59
+30% Faster Run/Walk
15% Deadly Strike
10% Chance of Open Wounds
+166% Enhanced Defense
+20 Maximum Stamina
Requirements -25%
+10 Maximum Durability

Laying of Hands
Bramble Mitts
Defense: 84
Durability: 5 of 12
Fingerprint: 0x696dc95a
10% Chance to cast level 3 Holy Bolt on striking
+20% Increased Attack Speed
+350% Damage to Demons
+25 Defense
Fire Resist +50%

Arreat's Face
Slayer Guard
Defense: 321
Durability: 29 of 55
Fingerprint: 0x681ef622
+2 to Combat Skills (Barbarian Only)
+30% Faster Hit Recovery
39% Enhanced Damage
20% Bonus to Attack Rating
3% Life stolen per hit
+166% Enhanced Defense
+20 to Strength
+20 to Dexterity
All Resistances +30
1 Sockets (1 used)
Socketed: Ruby Jewel

Ruby Jewel
Jewel
Fingerprint: 0xbe17e8a6
39% Enhanced Damage

Grief
Phase Blade
EthTirLoMalRal
One Hand Damage: 31 - 35
Indestructible
Required Level: 59
Fingerprint: 0x2e89d7d9
35% Chance to cast level 15 Venom on striking
+34% Increased Attack Speed
Damage +386
Ignore Target's Defense
-25% Target Defense
+151% Damage to Demons (Based on Character Level)
Adds 5 - 30 Fire Damage
-23% to Enemy Poison Resistance
20% Deadly Strike
Prevent Monster Heal
+11 Life after each Kill
5 Sockets (5 used)
Socketed: Eth Rune
Socketed: Lo Rune
Socketed: Mal Rune

Grief
Phase Blade
EthTirLoMalRal
One Hand Damage: 31 - 35
Indestructible
Fingerprint: 0x57656e1
35% Chance to cast level 15 Venom on striking
+35% Increased Attack Speed
Damage +350
Ignore Target's Defense
-25% Target Defense
+151% Damage to Demons (Based on Character Level)
Adds 5 - 30 Fire Damage
-23% to Enemy Poison Resistance
20% Deadly Strike
Prevent Monster Heal
+12 Life after each Kill
5 Sockets (5 used)
Socketed: Eth Rune
Socketed: Mal Rune

Wizardspike
Bone Knife
Durability: 22 of 26
Fingerprint: 0xd50eb436
Indestructible
+50% Faster Cast Rate
+162 to Mana (Based on Character Level)
Regenerate Mana 15%
All Resistances +75

Wizardspike
Bone Knife
Durability: 18 of 26
Fingerprint: 0x423ea7d3
Indestructible
+50% Faster Cast Rate
+162 to Mana (Based on Character Level)
Regenerate Mana 15%
All Resistances +75

Mercenary:

Name: Jemali
Race: Desert Mercenary
Type: Off-Nightmare
Experience: 62197382
Level: 79
Dead?: false

Naked/Gear
Strength: 176/176
Dexterity: 141/141
HP: 1527/1628
Defense: 1132/4516
AR: 1841/1841

Fire: 169/129/69
Cold: 169/129/69
Lightning: 169/129/69
Poison: 169/129/69

Vampire Gaze
Grim Helm
Defense: 252
Durability: 23 of 40
Required Strength: 58
Fingerprint: 0x1bc5ae51
Adds 6 - 22 Cold Damage Over 4 Secs (100 Frames)
7% Mana stolen per hit
8% Life stolen per hit
+100% Enhanced Defense
15% Slower Stamina Drain
Damage Reduced by 19%

Fortitude
Balrog Skin
ElSolDolLo
Defense: 3132
Required Strength: 155
Fingerprint: 0x3e6d842b
20% Chance to cast level 15 Chilling Armor when struck
+25% Faster Cast Rate
300% Enhanced Damage
+200% Enhanced Defense
+15 Defense
+101 to Life (Based on Character Level)
Replenish Life +7
+5% to Maximum Lightning Resist
All Resistances +26
Damage Reduced by 7
12% Damage Taken Goes To Mana
+1 to Light Radius
Ethereal
4 Sockets (4 used)
Socketed: El Rune
Socketed: Sol Rune
Socketed: Dol Rune

The Reaper's Toll
Thresher
Two Hand Damage: 58 - 683
Required Strength: 107
Required Dexterity: 81
Fingerprint: 0x725bb23b
33% Chance to cast level 1 Decrepify on striking
224% Enhanced Damage
Ignore Target's Defense
Adds 4 - 44 Cold Damage Over 1 Secs (20 Frames)
11% Life stolen per hit
33% Deadly Strike
Requirements -25%
Ethereal

I'm not sure, but I'll probably have him gain another few levels first, since level 81 still feels wrong in some way. After that he will be converted to a 200% fcr chest runner, not so much for LK, but mostly if I ever feel the need to contribute to RoF and act 5 chest running threads. I haven't really given much thought to his gear and skills, but it will probably be something like this (suggestions are always welcome):

Gear:

Head: Brimstone Circlet rare Circlet (socketed with ?)
Amulet: 20% fcr rare, ideally 2/20, although it doesn't matter that much
Body: Enigma
Gloves: Magefist
Belt: Arachnid's
Boots: indecided. Something with 40% frw probably. Unless mf matters for those super chests and special chests, but I don't think so
Rings: 10% fcr rares, others stats probably mana and life
Weapons: dual Suicide Branch (socketed with? probably useful jewels, or even Io rune or something like that)

Merc: Insight, helm and armor won't matter much probably

Skills: max BO, Howl, Natural Resistance and Increased Speed. 1 point in Battle Command and War Cry.

Last edited:
Originally posted by TheDoctor on Oct 31, 2009:

Introducing Patriarch Midas

This is actually a character I parked in Act1 NM for quite sometime. Leveling him was a PITA (I am too used to playing casters). Recently started playing him again to rush him to hell so he can at least do what he was made to do. Run hell council to fund my blizzsorc gambling addiction.(I will write a matriarch thread for her 1 day...been putting it off for years) :whistling:

Stats:
Level 82
128/168
42/71
285/285
10/10

Resist in hell
Fire: 85
Cold: 49
Lightning: 64
Poison: 13

Skills
Whirlwind: 20
Berserk: 1
Axe Mastery: 20
Natural Resistance: 4
Find Item: 16 (20)
Battle Orders: 20
Battle Command: 1

Equipment
Helm: Crown of Thieves T 98% goldfind
Body: Duriel's Shell (Wealth for goldfinding)
Weapon: 2x Death Cleavers
Weapon switch: 2x Ali baba's with 10MF jewels
Amulet: Crescent Moon
Ring: 2x Scintillating rings (Swap 1 with dwarf star for goldfinding)
Gloves: Laying of Hands
Belt: IK Detail
Boots: Infernostride

Charms
Code:
Sounding Grand Charm
Grand Charm
Fingerprint: 0x36ef370a
Item Level: 57

Small Charm of Greed
Small Charm
Fingerprint: 0xafe4e319
Item Level: 41
8% Extra Gold from Monsters

Coral Small Charm
Small Charm
Required Level: 20
Fingerprint: 0x64e29706
Lightning Resist +9%

Gheed's Fortune
Grand Charm
Fingerprint: 0xc8f36c74
151% Extra Gold from Monsters
Reduces all Vendor Prices 11%
32% Better Chance of Getting Magic Items

Sounding Grand Charm of Dexterity
Grand Charm
Fingerprint: 0x786e22a
Item Level: 50
+4 to Dexterity

Sounding Grand Charm
Grand Charm
Fingerprint: 0xea79f79e

Small Charm
Fingerprint: 0x4141cb13
Item Level: 83
Lightning Resist +11%
5% Extra Gold from Monsters

Grand Charm of Greed
Grand Charm
Required Level: 1
Fingerprint: 0xf0226aab
15% Extra Gold from Monsters

Lucky Grand Charm of Greed
Grand Charm
Required Level: 5
Fingerprint: 0xd811acd4
30% Extra Gold from Monsters
7% Better Chance of Getting Magic Items

Small Charm of Fortune
Small Charm
Required Level: 18
Fingerprint: 0x5a44c45
Item Level: 69
5% Better Chance of Getting Magic Items

Iron Small Charm of Greed
Small Charm
Fingerprint: 0x31039d8c
+19 to Attack Rating

Lapis Small Charm of Inertia
Small Charm
Fingerprint: 0xad993493
+3% Faster Run/Walk
Cold Resist +6%

Bronze Small Charm of Anthrax
Small Charm
Required Level: 36
Fingerprint: 0xdf199ffa
Item Level: 68
+2 to Attack Rating
Adds 50 Poison Damage Over 6 Secs (150 Frames)

Small Charm of Sustenance
Small Charm
Fingerprint: 0x3ddc4558
+15 to Life

Sounding Grand Charm of Anthrax
Grand Charm
Fingerprint: 0xdb5a1286
Adds 50 Poison Damage Over 6 Secs (150 Frames)

Small Charm of Sustenance
Small Charm
Fingerprint: 0x902a2e09
Item Level: 38
+15 to Life

Bronze Large Charm of Greed
Large Charm
Fingerprint: 0x6775a8e6
+24 to Attack Rating
13% Extra Gold from Monsters

Merc aka Moron
Helm: Crown of Thieves
Body: Goldskin
Weapon: Reaper's Toll with Amn

Finds
Hellforge in hell was Pul, Nightmare I can't remember.
Black hades from Baal

Gameplay
Stuff died slow. Was using butcher's pupil till i was able to equip cranebeak. I then later swap to 1x cranebeak and 1x Razor's edge with shael. Things only started to pick up speed when I was able to equip dual Death cleavers.
Had many deaths to gloams in Hell due to my crappy resist. Had 1 death in Chaos sanctuary from IM.
Ancients were a piece of cake at p1. I guess I was lucky in WSK not to find any frenzytaurs.

Future
Run Hell council for gold. I currently run hell council at p1 and get about 300k per run. Love to see the huge pile of coins when he horks the council. Its BEAUTIFUL!!! :jig:
My resist is still crappy so have to figure a way to fix that. Still can't use a 2nd dwarf star and chancies because of my resist. My GF is 1209% in switch.

Originally posted by TopHatCat64 on Feb 16, 2009:

Patriarch Sledge - Taunter

Patriarch Sledge

The Planning Stage

Sledge, like nearly all of my builds, is a melee-range tank. In my continuing quest for the most effective defensive build, I stumbled upon SSOG's Taunt barb guide in the AB. I was initially intrigued because it, unlike most PDR builds, actually utilized a skill that reduced damage significantly: Taunt.

Fully geared I would be taunting monsters down with a lvl 35 Taunt. That's -73% damage and -73% chance to hit. Pretty darn significant when combined with the 87 PDR I'd be packing.

Now, if all Taunt did was reduce damage and hit rating, I'd be pretty pleased but the benefits of mass Taunting became evident once I actually started playing...

I decided to pair all that damage reduction with Concentrate to really push the defensive aspect of the build. It seemed like a natural fit since I'd have tons of monsters swarming over me at melee range. Oddly enough, conc is NOT one of the skills SSOJ suggests to pair with Taunt.

Observations and Leveling

Like my previous conc barb, my skill progression focused on damage first and then defense. Conc > BO > Taunt > SM > Rest into Shout. There's no real need for that much damage reduction in Norm/NM so I just focused on cranking up my damage as quickly as possible.

I started honing my technique with Taunt once I got into NM and got used to the some of the nuances of the skill.

1. Taunt has a small area of effect to it so you don't have to directly click a monster to hit them with the effects. If you had 3 monsters coming at you in a triangular formation, you'd click like the diagram below with the "t" indicating where you'd click on the screen. With larger groups it's easier to right click and hold in a rough circle around the crowd.

t........t
..M..M
....M
....t

....B

2. Taunt lasts forever unless overwritten by another curse. Handy, since you don't have to worry about a timer running out. Fire and forget.

3. You can't taunt OK's, Minions of Destruction, Defilers, and the usual uniques/champs/act bosses.

With some of the more fragile ranged attackers (succubi, imps, blood hawks), I'd just stand behind my merc and taunt them in for the slaughter. I didn't even have to attack they died so fast.

Once I got to Hell Diff, I quickly made my way to the Pits and spent some time leveling so I could put on my lvl 85 end-game gear. I initially planned to use Lightsabre as my end-game weapon but I decided to experiment a bit with Azurewrath. I'd never used it before and I was curious as to how effective it would be. As it turns out, I decided to stick with it, but there were pros and cons to Azurewrath for this particular build.

Pros
1. +1 skill helped boost a lot of different things
2. The huge cold/magic damage made Berserk largely unnecessary for all but the toughest PI uniques
3. Sanctuary meant I could never be overwhelmed by undead monsters with the pulse knockback and I could mow through them once I got in close due to the bug.
4. 30 IAS meant I hit the last breakpoint for Conc with a PB without using the socket for a shael or fervor jewel
5. +10 to all stats meant more life, less dex needed for max block

Cons
1. Sanctuary's knockback forces an AI check and Taunted undead monsters stop doing everything in their power to melee with you. That meant mummies resumed res'ing and gloams resumed frying.

Seems pretty cut and dried.

Once I hit 85 and geared up, I started leveling again on P1 and was impressed at how durable this guy was. I was lucky near the end of the game as I did not see a single Gloam in all of Act 4 or Act 5. After I beat the tar out of the Ancients and Baal, I emerged victorious. Another barb pat, another barb without a single death.

Future Plans

Sledge has been my favorite tank to date (even more so then my 9.2k life wolf barb) since he's better equipped to handle different foes (mainly ranged attackers and undead). He'd be an excellent point man for excursions down into the Throneroom. The only major drawback is that I know someone's merc would be packing Reaper's and then all my Taunting would be overwritten.

Finds

This guy wasn't particularly lucky as my only major finds were a Gargoyle's Bite and two 7% mf small charms.

Stats

Code:
Lvl 86
Conc Damage w/ Might: 1638-2318
AR: 5874
Life w/ BO: 3111
Resists: 75/75/75/75
Def w/ Conc+Shout: 21073
Max Block | 87 PDR | 39 MDR

Str: 146
Dex: 179
Vit: 262

20 Taunt
20 Conc
20 BO
20 Sword Mastery
10 Shout
1 NR
1 Zerk
1 BC

Gear

Code:
Arreat's 'Sol'
Echoing Ammy of Life Everlasting
Azurewrath 'Eth'
Glad Bane 'Sol
Gerke's 'Sol'
LoH
Arachnid's
Nature's Peace
Entrophy Turn ring
Goblin Toe
Dual Echoing weapons on switch

7 Warcry skillers and resist scs

Merc: Andy's | Duriels | Eth Obedience CA

Entropy Turn
Ring
Fingerprint: 0x62db67ab
+10 to Attack Rating
Fire Resist +11%
Lightning Resist +11%
Cold Resist +11%
Poison Resist +36%
8% Life stolen per hit
4% Mana stolen per hit

Originally posted by Tupsi on Jun 10, 2009:

3k Gold (Pat thread)

Not much to say. He was built to satisfy my desire of gold and he satisfies it. Passive/almost passive play is kind of fun. You should try it if you haven't already.

Character info:
Name: Rigel
Level: 78

Stats:
Strength: 113 / 136
Dexterity: 20 / 30
Vitality: 320
Energy: 10
Unspent: 22

Life: 1529 / 3165
Mana: 246 / 509
Defense: 891 / 1852

Resists:
Fire: -8 / 1
Cold: 3 / 12
Lightning: 66 / 75
Poison: -23 / -14

Skills:
Increased Speed 1 / 2
Iron Skin 1 / 2
Natural Resistance 1 /2

Leap 20 / 21

Find Item 18 / 23
Shout 1 / 4
Battle Orders 20 / 25
Battle Command 1 /4
War Cry 10 / 15

Final equipment:
Code:
Gemmed Slayer Guard
'LemLemLem'
Defense: 104
(Barbarian Only)
Item Level: 82
Fingerprint: 0x336ee697
+2 to War Cry (Barbarian Only)
+2 to Battle Orders (Barbarian Only)
+2 to Find Item (Barbarian Only)

Gemmed War Axe
'LemLemLemLemLemLem'
One-Hand Damage: 10 to 18
Durability: 26 of 26
Required Strength: 67
Axe Class - Normal Attack Speed
Fingerprint: 0x72f69bb
Socketed (6: 6 used)

Gemmed War Axe
'LemLemLemLemLemLem'
One-Hand Damage: 10 to 18
Required Strength: 67
Axe Class - Normal Attack Speed
Fingerprint: 0x60549051

Bone Torc
Amulet
Fingerprint: 0x4dcc32a3
Magic Damage Reduced by 1
Fire Resist +16%
Lightning Resist +16%
Cold Resist +26%
Poison Resist +16%
71% Extra Gold from Monsters
+5 to Light Radius
5% Bonus to Attack Rating

Wealth
Dusk Shroud
'LemKoTir'
Defense: 402
Durability: 20 of 20
Fingerprint: 0x1513fc13
+10 to Dexterity

Soul Winding
Spiderweb Sash
Defense: 86
Fingerprint: 0x4e24ef8b
+23 to Strength
+20 to Mana
+38% Enhanced Defense
Lightning Resist +23%
Attacker Takes Damage of 2
73% Extra Gold from Monsters

Chance Guards
Chain Gloves
Item Level: 76
Fingerprint: 0xe1b77e2d
+24% Enhanced Defense
+25 to Attack Rating
+15 Defense
37% Better Chance of Getting Magic Items
+2 to Light Radius

Dwarf Star
Ring
Fingerprint: 0x810eb7c6
+40 to Life
+40 to Maximum Stamina
Heal Stamina Plus 15%
15% Fire Absorb

Dwarf Star
Ring
Fingerprint: 0x5fc7e456
+40 to Life
+40 to Maximum Stamina
Heal Stamina Plus 15%
15% Fire Absorb

Plague Slippers
Wyrmhide Boots
Defense: 60
Durability: 36 of 36
Fingerprint: 0xe9b19100
Lightning Resist +25%
Cold Resist +23%
Poison Resist +7%
72% Extra Gold from Monsters
20% Faster Run/Walk
Poison Length Reduced by 25%

The Gavel of Pain
Martel de Fer
'Hel'
Two-Hand Damage: 166 to 281
Required Strength: 135
Mace Class - Slow Attack Speed
Indestructible
Fingerprint: 0x3a5b094d
+154% Enhanced Damage
+12 to Minimum Damage
+30 to Maximum Damage
Attacker Takes Damage of 26
Requirements -20%
150% Damage to Undead
Indestructible
5% Chance to cast Level 1 Amplify Damage on striking
5% Chance to cast Level 1 Iron Maiden when struck
Level 8 Amplify Damage (3/3 Charges)

Inventory:
Tome of Town portal
Tome of Identify
Horadric Cube
4x2 free slots

Charms (6x4 slots):
390% Extra Gold From Monsters
20% Better Chance of Getting Magic Item
15% Reduced Vendor Prices
34% fire resistance
12% cold resistance
60% lightning resistance
12% poison resistance
139 mana

Mercenary info:
Name: Razan
Origin: Act 2 (Nightmare)
Level: 78
He's very offensive, you know.

Life: 1529 / 3181
Defense: 1883 / 4330
Damage: 391-2022 / 663-3424

Resists:
Cold: 42
Lightning: 42
Poison: 42

Final equipment:
Code:
Hone Sundan
Ghost Spear
'LemLemLem'
Two-Hand Damage: 94 to 682
Durability: 28 of 28
Required Dexterity: 153
Required Strength: 112
Required Level: 69
Spear Class - Normal Attack Speed
Fingerprint: 0xd1584671
+177% Enhanced Damage
+20 to Minimum Damage
+40 to Maximum Damage
225% Extra Gold from Monsters
Required Level +7
45% Chance of Crushing Blow
Repairs 1 durability in 10 seconds
Ethereal (Cannot be Repaired), Socketed (3: 3 used)

Crown of Thieves
Grand Crown
'Lem'
Defense: 318
Fingerprint: 0x879dda88
+25 to Dexterity
+50 to Life
+35 to Mana
+179% Enhanced Defense
Fire Resist +33%
11% Life stolen per hit

Wealth
Dusk Shroud
'LemKoTir'
Defense: 453
Fingerprint: 0x84515147
+10 to Dexterity

On merc kill:
257% Better Chance of Getting Magic Items

The Extra Gold, numbers:
3031% Extra Gold From Monsters with the current setup, both tomes, cube and 4x2 free space in the inventory
3142% Extra Gold From Monsters, with both tomes, cube and 4x2 free slots in the inventory this is the best amount one can get. It would require perfect charms and swapping my and mercenary's helmets to perfect 2xLem'd 80gf% circlets. I'm 3,5 per cent behind from perfect gold find with my current setup.

3161% Extra Gold From Monsters with full inventory and just cube and identify tome, I personally don't like this kind of inventory. Too hard to pick up stuff and too hard to sell it. And the 35k extra gold from an item sold to a vendor may be more than 130% Extra Gold would give me during the run. Well, just maybe.
3207% Extra Gold From Monsters with same kind of inventory but with perfect gf% equipment and charms.

3202% Extra Gold From Monsters is the largest amount of gf% I could get atm with my charms and full inventory.
3345% Extra Gold From Monsters is the maximum amount of gf% one could get with perfect equipment and inventory.
3570% Extra Gold From Monsters is the absolute maximum, I believe. It would require perfect equipment, full inventory with perfect charms and a mercenary with 6xLem'd weapon. I don't know how much you could get with items from other patches.

Not sure if the 2nd section is 100% correct but I think the last one is. I searched the forums and some people said 3510 is the absolute max but I think they haven't noticed the possibility of a 2os 80gf% circlet. It is possible, right?
Anyway, that's it for the numbers. I'm sorry if you don't agree with me but I find them interesting :badteeth:

Gameplay:
Leap a lot. Taunt mobs, use War Cry. Keep yourself and your mercenary alive (not very difficult task with maxed leap tbh). Hork.

Running Travincal:
I do it on Hell difficulty on players 1. I have rolled a map where all the council members except for Toorc Icefist (always stone skin) are in the hall where the compelling orb is. They all are on the left side which means they quickly get knocked to a tight pack against the wall and soon after get Amplified. Oh yes, Amplify Damage, another subject to talk about: The Gavel of Pain, Martel de Fer. Definitely worth it. I'd like to leave it there as convincing as it is but let's say a few words. The Amplify Damage charge lasts 29 seconds. Even my merc at level 78 kills about four fifths of the council members in that time provided that he doesn't pick a stone skin member. And this doesn't happen too often since Toorc, often the only stone skin S/U, is trapped on the lower stairs. It's just so worth the strength points. I wasn't too excited to try it out but when I did, I was sold. Very easy to use as a leaper. There are a few cons, though: repairing it.

You have to get yourself to act 4 and hit the repair button (well, Hratli works too but it's just too much running for me so I won't even discuss it) . If you are a lazy person like me, this will probably just make your runs faster. I almost never tp'd to town and hit the Pandemonium Fortress wp before I started using Gavel even though I knew it would've been faster than running through act 3. Well, now I'm kind of forced to and I have to say I like the runs more now. Act 3 is very depressing to me, gloomy and dark graphics. But act 4 cheers me up, it feels good to return there after each run. Sounds lame but it works for me. A follow-up con: you have to buy tp scrolls every 20th run. Oh and the charges cost some gold, about three per cent of my average gold per run, that is if I use all of the three charges. Sometimes I do, sometimes just one, usually two if there is a stone skin S/U which isn't Toorc. Repairing one charge costs 9003 gold.

Pros of the Gavel of Pain: Mercenary leeches more. Razan was very fragile before the council members started to get amplified by me but now he just stands there and, and, hot damn it works! Obviously they die faster.
Average gold per run is about 600k. Haven't done any calculations so it's just an approximation. A slightly better run fills my inventory and I have to get to the town to put the gold to my stash, in my case, it means over 780k. My best runs have been over 1,2M.

How does he compare to other gold finders:
I first built a Frenzy Barb for gold finding. His equipment was average, I think. A nice DC with a nice ed% jewel, Lacerator for ctc Amp (flee didn't bother that much, worked quite well with War Cry and absolutely destroyed the S/Us), but he was still quite, how to say it, unsure with what he was doing. He had to lure the members almost one by one to him in order to get them killed safely. I know higher level would've made things easier but I retired Carpenter @ clvl 80 because he would've been an eternity project due to itemization (and because of my slight perfectionism). Rare items are too hard to find. Anyway, I think leaping is the way to go if you can't afford the best of the best weapons. Heck, maybe even if you could.

Screenshots:
Better than average run, 1055735 gold
Yarrrrr!

Thanks for the people on SPTF for the deals and thank you for reading. Cheers.

Last edited:
Originally posted by Tupsi on Jul 16, 2007:

Echoing thread (Pat)

First I must say that I suck with Barbs. I've failed to Pat a fully twinked WW Barb, I've failed to even get the Champion title for most of my Barbs and I haven't even counted the Barbs that have been deleted before making to normal Act 3.
I wasn't going to post this thread, even though I wrote this immeadiatly after Pat'ing Echo. Mainly because I suck at writing these and I don't like my own Pat threads and because it means replying to curious people (but please, ask if you have questions, I know I've forgotten something 😉). But, since neumein asked for Singer help in his thread, I decided to post this so I wouldn't have to post a separate reply to the thread. Like two birds with one stone.

As I said, I am not much of a Barbarian player. But, I am a caster player soo...

Character info:
Name: Echo
Level: 88

Stats:
Strength: 65/65
Dexterity: 34/34
Vitality: 421/465
Energy: 10/10

Life: 2241/5193
Mana: 609/1280
Defense: 1222/2932

Resists:
Cold: 71
Lightning: 50
Poison: 50

Skills:
Berserk 1/8

Howl 20/37
Taunt 20/37
Battle Orders 20/37
Shout 1/18
Battle Cry 5/22
War Cry 20/37

War Cry damage: 1147-1184
Berserk damage: 1953-2288

Final equipment:
Head: IK's Will w/ 2 x 15% IAS jewels, mana and cold res on 2nd mods
Amulet: Resonant of Whale (ISO better one)
Weapons: 2 x 'Spirit' Giant Sword
Switch: 'Insight' Archon Staff
Armor: Skin of the Vipermagi w/ all res jewel
Belt: Arachnid
Gloves: Magefist
Ring 1: Bahamut's (93 mana, one of the best finds with him)
Ring 2: SoJ
Boots: Rare boots

Equipment
LCS and weapons of choice

One step photo fix ran on both pictures.

Charms:
5 x Sounding GCs, two plain, three with life (66 life in total)
1 x Shimmering GC (14 all res)
6 x SC (3% FRW, 9 all res, 60 life, 23 mana in total)

Mercenary: (Holy Freeze)
Andariel's Visage
The Reapers Toll/Insight (depends on the situation)
Duriel's Shell

Life: 1934/4575
Defense: 2408/8909

Gameplay:
Step one: Taunt if there's Archers, Gloams, Vipers, runners, revivers, anything with dangerous or annoying AI or primary attack. They'll come crawling to you and start whacking you with their secondary attack, which is a very good thing. I think there should be a copyright mark here...
Step two: When you're surrounded, or if you've skipped the step one and just walked in the middle of monsters, start shouting. Urrh, arh, urh, uarh and so on.
Step three: When all the whirly thingys are gone, move on.

In case of boring areas: Leap, you're invincible. Howl, you're nearly invincible.
Your task at Baal runs: keep your extremely 1337 Battle Orders activated, and even though your Shout and Battle Command aren't that 1337, keep them activated too. If there's another Barbarian, ask their Shout level because it might be better than yours, especially if he looks like an average WW Barb. Don't let your ultimate shouter role fool you, your Shout sucks.
My typical Throne Room round: Enter, BC, BC, Shout, BO, BO again if someone just entered TP. Taunt possible Gloams and kill them. Otherwise just run around and gather wandering monsters to nice packs, it'll make the run a bit faster. When Baal starts throwing his waves, stand there and do your thing. Again, Taunt wandering monsters.
Tip for every player who plays with Barbarians: If you need Battle Orders or the other shouts, say "!BO". It really helps because you know who to buff when you're running with 5 similar looking Sorceresses and when the air is full of projectiles :rolleyes: I also find it less demanding, but that might be just me.

Anything else: No need to wear that much FCR, last time I checked I was well over 140, 105 is required for 8 frames. Fun and safe character. Best drop was Lum, Hell HF dropped a Lum too. Being a supporter is fun.
Selecting Merc: I thought Might would be useless because the monsters die in packs and it doesn't matter if my Merc kills one or two mobs in the meanwhile, they'd die with the others anyway. The reason for selecting HF (which the guides didn't recommend) was that Champion and S/U monsters usually hit me a couple of times before the stun gets them. HF helps me to cut the two or three hits to one or even zero in some cases.
PI solution: Used Berserk and Insight vs. PIs and lone monsters succesfully, Battle Cry helped there.
What would I do differently on the next time: I would save the point I put into Find Item.
Future: I want to make a pure Berserker :laugh: I loved whacking monsters with a two-hander with zero defense. Seriously, Echo's future looks baaly.

Last edited:
Originally posted by xALT on Sep 28, 2008:

Patriarch Caruso, Singer

Singer barb, or Bard, as some people like to name
Rich (BB code):
Character name  : Caruso
Character type  : Barbarian
Character level : 83
Character exp   : 885398735

Strength        : 65
Energy          : 110
Dexterity       : 30
Vitality        : 305

Life            : 4455
Mana            : 2092
Resists :75 all & extra stacked (~91 all)

The Skillz:
20 (43) each in Howl, Battle Cry, War Cry
20 (46) BO
7 (30) in Taunt
1 (24) in Battle Command
1 (11) Leap, Increased stamina/speed, Iron Skin & Nat. Resists
+ Shout as pre req (24)

Warcry damage: 1413-1451
BO increase: 170%
Leap radius: 14.6 yds
Battle Cry Bonuses: -134% def, -67% damage, almost 2 mins
Howl Bonus: 156 yds, 45 secs
Extras: 56 res all, 130% def, 37% skill FRW, useless extra stamina

The gear:
Rich (BB code):
Fiend Crest
Avenger Guard
+12 to Life
+38 to Mana
+79% Enhanced Defense
10% Faster Hit Recovery
+3 to Battle Orders (Barbarian Only)
+1 to Find Item (Barbarian Only)
Repairs 1 durability in 20 seconds

Echoing Amulet of the Whale
+87 to Life

Skin of the Vipermagi
+38 to Mana

Dire Fringe
Sharkskin Belt
+22 to Life
+39 to Mana
Regenerate Mana 10%
75% Extra Gold from Monsters
9% Faster Cast Rate
Poison Length Reduced by 25%

Ghoul Tread
Demonhide Boots
+50 to Mana
+91% Enhanced Defense
Regenerate Mana 7%
Lightning Resist +10%
Increase Maximum Mana 4%
30% Faster Run/Walk

Frostburn
Gauntlets

The Stone of Jordan
Ring

The Stone of Jordan
Ring

Heart of the Oak
Flail
'KoVexPulThul'
All Resistances +39

Heart of the Oak
Flail
'KoVexPulThul'

SWITCH

Naj's Puzzler
Elder Staff
'Hel'
Requirements -20%

The Merc:
Durga, Prayer
2k-5k damage, 5k life, 18k defense (After Shout & Chilling Armor), 75/75/80/75 resists
Code:
Crown of Thieves
Grand Crown
+193% Enhanced Defense
+2 to Minimum Damage
Adds 1-91 lightning damage
Adds 2-10 cold damage over 2 seconds
12% Life stolen per hit
83% Extra Gold from Monsters

Fortitude
Archon Plate

Fire Resist +30%
Lightning Resist +30%
Cold Resist +30%
Poison Resist +30%
+114 to Life (Level 83)
Socketed (4: 4 used)

Insight
Great Poleaxe
'RalTirTalSol'
Two-Hand Damage: 257 to 779
+260% Enhanced Damage
+4 to Critical Strike
228% Bonus to Attack Rating
Level 14 Meditation Aura When Equipped
The Backpack:
Code:
Sounding Grand Charm

+27 to Life

Sounding Grand Charm

Sounding Grand Charm of Vita
+36 to Life

Serpent's Small Charm of Sustenance
+14 to Life
+17 to Mana

Serpent's Small Charm of Balance
+17 to Mana
5% Faster Hit Recovery

Serpent's Small Charm
+17 to Mana

Serpent's Small Charm
+17 to Mana

Serpent's Small Charm
+16 to Mana

Sounding Grand Charm of Vita
+39 to Life

Sounding Grand Charm

12% Faster Hit Recovery

Sounding Grand Charm

Serpent's Small Charm of Sustenance
+14 to Life
+17 to Mana

Serpent's Small Charm of Winter
+17 to Mana
Adds 5-9 cold damage over 1 seconds

Serpent's Small Charm
+16 to Mana
The Tale:
EXTREMELY safe build. Always well received in parties. Pretty boring to kill anything, but fun build overall. I've first decided to go without insight in the merc, favoring reapers toll for the decrep, allowing me to deal ~2x damage normally. That's the reason for the 100 points in energy (with a barb, who would thought about it?) Finally, after realizing that the mana seems to be never enough for a singer, decided to put an insight on him and just tele away from immunes.

The Loot:
None worth mentioning/remembering. Hell Hellforge was an Ist, can't recall NM/normal one

The Next:
Fireclaw druid or Cleric/templar, they are both into hell. The next Barb will be a titan whirler, and then a Wolfie.

Last edited:
Originally posted by zerth on Jan 10, 2009:

Champion ScroogeMcDuckII (GF Barb)

ScroogeMcDuckII

The original ScroogeMcDuck was my second SP character. Due to massive gear swapping on belt/boots/amulet/helm/charms and my newly built Enigma, I decided to rebuild him as a small Christmas project. He is a GF singer more or less. He basically stuns the Hell council and watches his merc, Hazade aka 'the Beast', slaughter the lot. Oh, he also picks up gold and other goodies and horks the corpses. I will finally level him up to 90 (hitting 90 with the Ancient's quest hopefully).

Stats

Clvl: 87
Life: 2192 (4865)
Mana: 315 (718)
Resists: 75/75/75/27

Strength: 41 (110)
Dexterity: 35
Vitality: 444
Mana: 10

GF: 2239 (merc kills) / 2132 (hork)

Skills

Howl, Shout, Find Potion, Battle COmmand: 1 (7/13)
War Cry, Battle Cry, Battle Orders: 20 (26/32)
Taunt: 10 (16/22) <-- rest here

Increased Stamina, Increased Speed, Iron SKin: 1 (5)
Natural Resistance: 9 (13)

Observations

I am trying to squeeze some damage out of War Cry (get it close to 1K), but I do not see it happening in the near future. It is definitely not necessary, but there is always room for improvement. Find Item reaches 50% chance with Battle Command and GF switch. Battle Cry reaches -100% enemy defense and War Cry stun duration is 6 seconds (again with BC and GF switch). Maxed fire/cold/lightning resists and over 700 mana are essential for the build. Initially most of the rare stuff and charms covered resists and mana first, then GF. By now they come up with GF that is pretty close to the theoretical maximum (with enough LK running anything is possible :p). The other essential thing is a source of teleport. Teleport charges ammys and circlets can be gambled. Of course, if you have Enigma, stick to that. FRW, +2skills, unlimited teleport, massive str...

Gameplay tips

Spam War Cry and make sure the monsters closeby are under the influence of Battle Cry as well. These stack. So basically the merc authohits everything (-100% enemy defense from war cry) and 95% of the time everything is stunned. Watch out for fire+lightning enchanted (Geleb Flamefinger has this combo often). I believe it is a bug, the damage is massive. Teleport away and let the merc take them down slowly. Telebomb on superuniques with conviction aura (after you check their other mods) so that they die first. The same goes for Holy Freeze, it really slows down the run if you don't take them out first. I keep 1 column healing potions, 2 columns mana potions and 1 column tp scrolls. These are replenished on the spot usually (helps to clean up the screen as well - btw pick up the gold before horking).

Code:
Immortal King's Will
Avenger Guard
'LemLem'
Defense: 168
Durability: 50 of 55
(Barbarian Only)
Fingerprint: 0xdf3b10ef
+125 Defense
+4 to Light Radius

Plague Heart
Amulet
Item Level: 92
Fingerprint: 0xcb0e2a6
+15 to Attack Rating
Fire Resist +38%
Poison Resist +37%
71% Extra Gold from Monsters
+1 to Barbarian Skill Levels
+1 to Light Radius

Gemmed Crystal Sword
'LemLemLemLemLemLem'
One-Hand Damage: 5 to 15
Required Strength: 43
Item Level: **
Fingerprint: 0x5791e605

Gemmed Crystal Sword
'LemLemLemLemLemLem'
One-Hand Damage: 5 to 15
Durability: 13 of 20
Required Strength: 43
Item Level: 68
Fingerprint: 0x9b7dbfb9

Echoing Glaive of Slaying
Throw Damage: 16 to 27
One-Hand Damage: 5 to 22
Quantity: 40
Required Dexterity: 35
Required Strength: 52
Javelin Class - Slow Attack Speed
Fingerprint: 0xe73881f3
+5 to Maximum Damage

Echoing Glaive
Throw Damage: 16 to 22
One-Hand Damage: 5 to 17
Quantity: 40
Required Dexterity: 35
Required Strength: 52
Javelin Class - Slow Attack Speed
Item Level: 91
Fingerprint: 0xa890662c

Enigma
Superior Light Plate
'JahIthBer'
Defense: 874
Durability: 51 of 60
Required Strength: 41
Fingerprint: 0xd63ed9c9
+15% Enhanced Defense
+750 Defense
Damage Reduced by 8%
Increase Maximum Life 5%
+14 Life after each Kill
45% Faster Run/Walk
+1 to Teleport
15% Damage Taken Goes to Mana
+2 to All Skill Levels
+64 to Strength (Based on Character Level)

Chance Guards
Chain Gloves
Durability: 12 of 16
Fingerprint: 0x548a74ca
+26% Enhanced Defense
+25 to Attack Rating
+15 Defense
35% Better Chance of Getting Magic Items
+2 to Light Radius

Raven Lash
Mithril Coil
Defense: 115
Durability: 5 of 16
Required Strength: 106
Required Level: 56
Fingerprint: 0xc8443ae3
+4 to Strength
+75% Enhanced Defense
+15 to Attack Rating
Lightning Resist +27%
Cold Resist +19%
+1 to Light Radius

Grim Spur
Chain Boots
Defense: 14
Durability: 11 of 16
Required Strength: 30
Fingerprint: 0x55e09fa9
+42% Enhanced Defense
Cold Resist +26%
Adds 1-21 lightning damage
79% Extra Gold from Monsters
20% Faster Run/Walk

Dwarf Star
Ring
Fingerprint: 0xacad470b
+40 to Life
+40 to Maximum Stamina
Heal Stamina Plus 15%
15% Fire Absorb

Dwarf Star
Ring
Fingerprint: 0xdd67080f
+40 to Life
+40 to Maximum Stamina
Heal Stamina Plus 15%
15% Fire Absorb

Gheed's Fortune
Grand Charm
Fingerprint: 0xe7d64579
159% Extra Gold from Monsters

Serpent's Grand Charm of Greed
Fingerprint: 0xc4dbb35b
+55 to Mana

Fingerprint: 0xdc9513d
+44 to Mana
33% Extra Gold from Monsters

Ocher Grand Charm of Greed
Required Level: 14
Fingerprint: 0x5da00dc8
Lightning Resist +20%

Ocher Grand Charm of Greed
Item Level: 59
Fingerprint: 0xa04067ee
Lightning Resist +17%
36% Extra Gold from Monsters

Russet Grand Charm of Greed
Fingerprint: 0x8485bde7
Fire Resist +16%
37% Extra Gold from Monsters

Fingerprint: 0x2839ab0c
+46 to Mana

Fingerprint: 0xf3672089
+59 to Mana
23% Extra Gold from Monsters

Fingerprint: 0x533a7ac5
Cold Resist +10%

Fingerprint: 0xdbcd8fd9
Fire Resist +10%
7% Extra Gold from Monsters

Cobalt Small Charm of Vita
Fingerprint: 0x543377e9
+19 to Life
Cold Resist +9%

Sapphire Small Charm of Sustenance
Fingerprint: 0x82d3e591
+12 to Life
Cold Resist +11%

Fingerprint: 0x1604c04d
Fire Resist +10%

Fingerprint: 0xebf051f3
Lightning Resist +11%

Fingerprint: 0x2c900870
Fire Resist +11%

Amber Small Charm of Sustenance
Fingerprint: 0x38102705
+15 to Life
Lightning Resist +11%

Serpent's Small Charm of Greed
Fingerprint: 0x78437282
+17 to Mana

Fingerprint: 0x29b26353
Cold Resist +11%

Hazade (Act2 Might merc)

Life: 4444
Damage: 1976-8343 (6 fpa)
Resists: 75/75/80/75
Defense: 15164 (Chilling armor on)

Code:
Bonehew
Ogre Axe
'Shael'
Two-Hand Damage: 186 to 965
Required Dexterity: 65
Required Strength: 185
Polearm Class - Fastest Attack Speed
Fingerprint: 0x40d0aa54
+345% Enhanced Damage
19% Extra Gold from Monsters
50% Increased Attack Speed
Prevent Monster Heal
50% Chance to cast Level 16 Bone Spear on striking
Level 14 Corpse Explosion (4/30 Charges)
Ethereal (Cannot be Repaired), Socketed (2: 2 used)

Socketed with:
Ruby Jewel of Avarice
Fingerprint: 0x726a6a5
+40% Enhanced Damage
19% Extra Gold from Monsters

Fortitude
Superior Archon Plate
'ElSolDolLo'
Defense: 1668
Fingerprint: 0x4d526fa7
+200% Enhanced Defense
+15% Enhanced Defense
+300% Enhanced Damage
+15 Defense
Damage Reduced by 7
Fire Resist +25%
Lightning Resist +25%
+5% to Maximum Lightning Resist
Cold Resist +25%
Poison Resist +25%
Replenish Life +7
+1 to Light Radius
25% Faster Cast Rate
12% Damage Taken Goes to Mana
20% Chance to cast Level 15 Chilling Armor when struck
+119 to Life (Based on Character Level)
Socketed (4: 4 used)

Crown of Thieves
Grand Crown
Defense: 453
Required Strength: 93
Fingerprint: 0xbb355bff
+25 to Dexterity
+50 to Life
+35 to Mana
+165% Enhanced Defense
Fire Resist +33%
Lightning Resist +7%
10% Life stolen per hit
**% Extra Gold from Monsters

Socketed with:
Camphor Jewel of Fervor
Fingerprint: 0xaae5ce3a
Lightning Resist +7%

Edit: Added youtube video.

Last edited:
Originally posted by @jiansoz on August 26, 2007

Very little of interest happened in the areas before the Ancients, so I won´t bore you with details from those areas.

@sequana:
I don´t reroll any monsters, except for the Ancients, since that can be done within the same game you progress. I view D2 the same way Diablo 1 worked, and I simulate the gameplay to be as if it were played in a single sitting. I kill all monsters, or I die trying. Well, if I absolutely don´t seem to be able to kill a certain boss, I may park it and call it a draw...

Burt rerolled Ancients three times. I avoided Conviction + LE, two CE ones (Bear becomes too weak a force when it attacks so slowly) and one time when the merc died really quickly (I don´t know to what). The setup I decided to fight was:

Talic: Lightning Enchanted Teleportation
Korlic: Fire Enchanted Spectral Hit
Madawc: Fire Enchanted Stone Skin

I know the FE bug still exists - it´s just the damage that´s been nerfed. However, I figured Burt would be able to keep the distance to them.

The way the bear behaves, it was soon obvious that Madawc was going to be the last guy standing. Becuase of his resists/immunities, I really wanted Yatiraj to be alive when it was time to attack Madawc. So I tried to made sure not only to protect Burt, but to protect Yatiraj as well.

I had to run now and then, but I got in several periods of good bear tanking and Volcano castings. Thankfully, it seemed like Talic had a wussy weapon - he whirled right through Yatiraj a couple of times and never took him down to less than 3/4 life.

Eventually, only Madawc was left. He took a long while to go down, but I didn´t care, of course. Whee!

WSK 1 was easy, except for one room with two stationary bosses. One Vile Witch and one Heirophant (with an extra Heirophant in there as well). Ouch, that was dangerous!

WSK 2 was also easy, but it did have Black Souls so I had to be alert.

WSK 3 had two laughable enemy types (imps and Storm Casters) plus the very tough and unfreezable axe-wielding FI Death Lords. Good thing all the early bosses were of the wimpy monster types, and the Might FE Teleportation 'taurs were in the very last room!

Throne level: a small pack of witches at first. Then Burning Souls aplenty - and more Death Lords. This game hadn´t given up on trying to stop me...

I saw some Extra Fast Death Lords. "Uhh, how about trying the other way first?". The other way was better, and I could establish a foothold.

We had to kill Seethe Razor with nothing but merc ice, helped by near-spammed Poison Creepers (look at that pile of Creeper corpses!). Of course it took a while, but actually not as long as I had thought it would. 😃

Lister was CI and I decided to use Cleglaw´s Crushing Blow. Most of the time, I could arrange a comfortable fighting position, but I couldn´t make it last (not easy when all three of us have knockback!) long enough to take off that last bit of life where CB is nearly useless. It became too painful and dangerous. I went back to town and brought Arctic Horn. Me and the bear slowly outlasted the mighty Tormentor.

Baal time, then! I wondered if the merc chilling and Cleglaw´s 25% slowing would be enough to 'dumbify' Baal enough to make him a piece of cake. All pieces of my party got into the perfect position to try it out right away. Well, he wasn´t completely subdued, but it looked like we had stopped his ability to move around. The only things he seemed to be able to do was to poke or flamethrow the bear. He also fired a few ice wedges at the bear, but they didn´t seem to actually do anything.

The only things Burt needed to do now was to recast bears and keep up the sword swinging. I added some Volcanos near the end. Victory is mine!

The Cow level had me very nervous. It´s one thing for the bear to tank a tough boss. Tanking two dozen cows is something entirely different... Also, a full party is likely to wake up far more cows than I like. Therefore, I decided to have no summons at the start. Just me and Yatiraj, then add a bear when necessary. Unsummon bear when the last visible cow dies, lure out a few more, etc. That was the plan.

What was NOT the plan was to arrive inside the King´s fort!! (well, at least inside the outer corner of the fort) Panic retreat, making my way past whole spawn packs of cows! Oops, that´s a boss pack! At least no Extra Fast or Fanatic ones so far... :p Ooh, a quiet corner! Quick TP and go out so Yatiraj won't drag any more cows here...

Repeat:
"Do NOT use the red portal! Do NOT use the red portal!"

One cow down, then it´s quiet. Next. And the next. Ha, this may actually be working out in my favour. Oops, two Champs and a regular at the same time! At least I have some secured space now. One mana potion and a few bear recasts were enough to win this early test.

More and more space secured alongside the outer wall. I could now add a HoW full-time without risking a sudden cow invasion. Fissure was actually working pretty well, despite the 'skinny' shape of the cow models. Burt´s mana pool was enough for two bear recasts and Fissures in between. If the merc was aiming at the pack the bear was tanking (and not a single cow closer to him - which happened often), we could take down about 10 cows without Burt needing a mana potion. (The selling trips made for easy mana refills.)

BTW, here is where the portal spawned. Not very nice.

The last picture of Burt´s journey shows a hard-to-kill boss. Not even Arctic Horn could help. The slower attack speed (now that I no longer use a Sigon´s gloves combo) combined with his low chance to hit meant that this boss was not poisoned for long enough periods. I switched to Cleglaw´s set and found a perfect spot to stand. Now I could keep the boss constantly poisoned.

As usual, I left the King for last. He fell quickly, but dropped no green item to envy.

Cool, we made it, and within time as well!

I´ll show Burt´s full stats in a seperate Guardian thread tomorrow.

Final score:
Level (85) = -85
WPs (117) = 117
Quests (81) = 162
Greenware (16) = 48
Total = 242

Guardian Burt the Grizzly/Fire Druid, Level 85, Complete Game Clear

(minus two stubborn ghost bosses who felt unkillable at the time...)

Originally posted by @jiansonz on August 27, 2007

SPF Tourney Septavirate Guardian #5 of 7

20 months have passed since the last one (Nightfish I am not...:azn: ) so I guess it was a bit overdue. Among other things, I’ve managed to get three assassins killed in Hell (one in Act V, two in Act III) and two paladins killed in NORMAL (oh the embarassment...) during this time.

Burt the 'Green with Envy' Fire/Summoner Druid has been played a bit on and off for the last seven months.
(See the tournament thread above for several detailed updates of Burt’s progress)

My septavirate rules are:
* Untwinked (but using ATMA as extended stash is OK if tournament rules allow it)
* HC
* No multiplayer
* Single-pass (i.e. no runs of any kind) Full Clear
* Bosses may only be parked if they appear to be seriously unkillable after I have tried all ways I can think of
* Must be a SPF tourney character (so the characters are always either quite a bit off the cookie-cutter path or restricted in some more or less wacky way. Or both (those are my favourites 😁 ))

The perks of the Green With Envy tournament were mainly three:
* Only set items were allowed to be equipped. Until a set item for a certain slot was found, non-magical (white or grey) items were allowed in that slot. We were also allowed to leave a slot empty (this was mostly for the cases where we had found three weapons, including a weapon for a merc type we did not want to use).
* Sockets could only be filled with emeralds. When we reached Act V NM, we could also use jewels with the green graphic.
* Imbue and socket rewards had to be collected before moving on to the next act, otherwise they were forfeited.

Burt is somewhat based on the Fire Summoner AlterEgo has written a guide for, but he’s lighter on the fire spells and has maxed Grizzly. Also, I decided to pump Heart of Wolverine rather than Oak Sage. Because of the tournament rules, I figured it would be really hard to keep an act 2 merc effective in the late game (he would be weaponless unless Hwanin’s Justice would drop), so the otherwise logical choice (Might) was out. Therefore, I figured the wolves/bear would need a damage boost. High-level HoW would also allow Burt himself to fight a bit if necessary. Skipping Oak Sage and not knowing how good blocking my end-game shield would have, very heavy investment in Vitality seemed like a good choice.

I pumped Fissure early, and that along with Dire Wolves made the early game easy. In act 2, I hired Vikhyat the Prayer merc who first used a Gemmed Spetum, then an Ethereal Pike with a chipped emerald (one of the best possible weapons at that stage: 21-94 damage!). Wolves, Fissures and Vikhyat pretty much rolled over acts 2-4.

In the Drifter Cavern, I found my 3rd set weapon, and tourney rules said that from now on, weapon slots must hold a set weapon or be empty. I am not sure if my Fire Rogue did more damage with Vidala’s bow than Vikhyat would do weaponless (despite 3 PEmeralds in armor sockets boosting her DEX...) but she was allowed to stay in the party for most of act V. After WSK level 1 I switched to Blaise the cold rogue (didn’t want one before because I want the shambling undead to wake up again as much as possible) to make the Baal fight easier.

Used wolves most of the time the first half of Nightmare, gradually building up Fissure and Volcano to respectable levels.

Blaise the Cold Rogue was along for the ride all the way up to the act 3 temples. Then I decided to hire a cold mage for added safety. What I didn’t realize then was that the Grizzly just got a perfect companion. More on this later.

Good thing I hired the cold mage, because Burt was about to get into the worst jam of his whole career. See this post for a description of this grueling fight.

Burt built up his MF during Nightmare. A lucky gamble (Sigon’s Wrap) in act 2 completed a 3-combo with the boots (giving 50% MF), two small MF charms were added, and Milabrega’s Orb dropped in late act 3. Near the end of NM, I completed a Cathan’s 3-combo (good resists, big STR boost and +25% MF) that turned out to stay on until the end.

Burt’s last piece of gear that wasn’t green was the second headgear. He used a socketed Hawk Helm with bonuses to Fissure, Armageddon and Spirit of Barbs for a very long time. He actually found a use for all those skills: SoB against act bosses (heavy damage when they hit the bear) and Armageddon against hard-to-kill bosses (the synergies gave it a 30 seconds duration). The golden chest in the Crypt in Hell dropped Hwanin’s Splendor, and that meant goodbye to this Hawk Helm.

Progressing through Hell, I used the bear more and more until it finally dominated my gameplay completely. The merc freezing made it much more effective than I had seen before - because the Knockback was prevented against all regular non-CI monsters. Also, the bear suited me better. I have plenty of experience playing with a golem as the main defense line, and I guess my brain has trouble keeping track of too many units at a time...

Burt’s charm collection grew quite impressive over time, and once I gave up on MF and equipped the IK belt and Cleglaw’s gloves and shields full-time, his resists were really good.

Final Stats

Guardian Burt, level 85 Grizzly/Fire Druid

Base stats:
STR: 77 (Burt needs Sigon’s gloves to be able to strap on the IK belt. Once it’s on, he can switch gloves...)
DEX: 55 (just enough to use Arctic Horn)
VIT: 363
ENE: 20

Life (with items): 1036
Mana (with items): 213

Attack Rating (with Cleglaw’s set and Heart of Wolverine): ~2900

Resists in Hell:
Fire 75
Cold 56
Lightning 75
Poison -51

Skills:
Firestorm 1
Molten Boulder 1 (on left mouse button on the Sander’s switch)
Fissure 13
Volcano 17

Raven 3
Poison Creeper 1 (prevented millions upon millions of monster hit points from regenerating)
Oak Sage 1
Summon Spirit Wolf 1
Carrion Vine 1
Heart of Wolverine 16
Summon Dire Wolf 20
Solar Creeper 1
Summon Grizzly 20

Primary Gear:
* Hwanin’s Splendor
* Cathan’s Sigil
* Sander’s Superstition
* Cathan’s Mesh
* Cleglaw’s Claw
* Cleglaw’s Pincers
* Cathan’s Seal
* Immortal King’s Detail
* Cathan’s Seal
* Sigon’s Sabot

Weapon switch
* Cleglaw’s Tooth
* Cleglaw’s Claw, socketed with a (green) Jewel of Fervor

* Coral (24) Grand Charm
* Ruby (27) Grand Charm
* Cobalt (12) Large Charm of Strength (5)
* Ruby (14) Large Charm of Life (10)
* Coral (12) Large Charm
* Coral (12) Large Charm of Dexterity (5)
* Cobalt (12) Large Charm
* Large Charm of Vita (32)
* Azure (6) Large Charm of Vita (30)
* Russet (6) Small Charm of Venom (4 seconds)
* Coral (8) Small Charm of Greed
* Ruby (11) Small Charm
* Shivering Small Charm of Vita (19)
* Shimmering (4) Small Charm of Strength (2)
* Small Charm of Vita (18)
* Tangerine (5) Small Charm of Strength (1)
* Ruby (10) Small Charm

In in-game stash
* Arctic Horn

Yatiraj, level 85 Cold Iron Wolf
* Isenhart’s Horns
* Isenhart’s Lightbrand
* Isenhart’s Case
* Isenhart’s Parry
(The resists and FRW from this set was better than anything else I could equip him with)

Areas skipped: none

Monsters parked: 2. (Both were CI + PI ghosts that had heavy fire resistance. Their inherent mana drain made their hits heal them quicker than my flames could damage them, even when I kept them poisoned. Tal’s true tomb had a third boss of this type, but once I had made it to act 3, I could hire a temporary lightning mage and defeat it)

Set/Unique item gambled:
* Sigon’s Wrap
* Nagelring
* Biggin’s Bonnet

Number of uniques found: 48 (15 of them exceptional, 2 of them elite: Viperfork and Verdungo’s Hearty Cord)
Number of set items found: 61 (6 of them exceptional)

-------------------------------------------------------
(Addendum: the other four:
Brynhilde the Valkazon (Tankazon tourney)
Sten the Set/Unique Worshipper Concentrate Barbarian
Freddie the 'Rare Pleasures' Returnomancer and Lord of Mages
Aaliyah the Alphabet FO/FW Sorcie)

Diablo 4 Interactive Map
PurePremium
Estimated market value
Low
High