Low Level Dueling: Come one, come all!

Re: Low Level Dueling: Come one, come all!

I've scrapped my hammerdin and made a new character, so I should also be up for some duels Saturday (and tomorrow?). By Saturday, I might have another ready, as well.

I really want to try LLD!

First I do have to try my new connection...

I was also thinking in a Hammerdin but I'll have to see if I remember some odd build :D

Make a blizzard sorceress. ;)

The hammerdin is effective, but I did not find him very fun. It is simply not possible for many builds to win against you, so "dueling" is something of a misnomer in those cases, in those cases where a build did provide a good fight I still did not particularly enjoy it. I am hoping that my new character is more fun! :)

Yeah, duel spirit-duel soj hammerdin would pwn all, as I would think. There should be a limitation on those.

Do you find much problems with runners and catching them? ie uncatchable opponents making the match unwinnable. Sorcs could be uncatchable if allowed teleport and alot of mana.

Are elemental casters doing decently?

If it is so desired or allowed, I'd love to get some video of the duels. I could put a big compilation on the Youtubes.

... but that would require displaying my awful lack of skillz. :p

bone nec with lots of frw can give a hammerdin a run for his money (pun).

Incidentally, I have one in the making, but he has been stalled for a few days. I am looking forward to giving him a try, but I may need to find some choice equipment first.

I think we should stay away from +max resist because it is unnecessary at this level and the little that is available (hotspurs, nokozan, full iratha's set is all I can think of) is highly biased against fire.

This does leave one question, though, what about poison length reduction? In the HLD rules it counts as equivalent to +max resist. It does however feature on some important LLD items such as death's hand. The argument against allowing poison length reduction is that death's hand plus max resist takes 4800 poison damage (768 pvp damage) down to about 30. This is equivalent to straight 96% resistance, if you ignore the way that poison resistance works to somewhat reduce the poison length by itself.

Is poison length reduction fair game? What about other +max resist or absorb?
I assume that the +3-8 magic absorb on spirit is considered fair, so where do we draw the line?

I think that, following along with jdkerr's inclination in the first post, we should avoid +max res, absorb, and poison length reduction.

-----

LLD is at least 10 times slower than HLD under normal circumstances, but even it can go long. I had a pretty epic LLD ZvZ duel against Nagisa this evening where we were each still going strong after about 25 minutes until Nagisa hit a shrine. We had eventually both ran out of arrows and I had run out of javelins so we were firing magic arrows back and forth. Our use of cover and dodge/block was too good as it went on and on and on. Replenish life is king in LLD, and more so in this dual, as it recovered each of our life totals a few times over during the course of this duel.

Maybe cap resists and poison length reduction at 75?
If you don't allow poison length reduction, Poison Javelin will decimate almost everyone (like the hammerdin is doing at the moment). A synergized PJ with some +skills does more than 12000dmg.
I mean, I'd take a 25min fight over a 5 second fight any day.

I suggest that we simply play hands off until it becomes a problem. I am inclined to agree with the sentiment that Hotspurs, Nokozan, and Death's gloves are all problematic items in LLD, but I do not see a big problem with Iratha's set, "Spirit", points in Paladin resist auras, etc. At any rate, I suggest we wait until it becomes an issue to respond to it, seeing how things fare before we jump to too many restrictions. :)

Turns out LLD is actually quite relaxing - run around for a few minutes, realize 10 pvp damage after resists isn't really enough and then watch TV for half an hour waiting for one of the zons to screw up. I'm not sure that's better than 5 second duels...

Failbarb and Failsin will probably retire, be prepared for Faildin to be even more embarrassing. :thumbup:

What build did you try with your assassin? I am kicking around a few ideas myself, and if yours is retiring, I am interested to see what you did.

I tried a Trapsin (W/S), first with LS, then with WoF. As it turns out, after pvp penalty and 75% resists, 1-600 damage become 1-25. That's not very much. Even doubling that with great gear would not be very much. I really should have done the maths before trying her out. At least I managed to kill a Failbear once or twice. :)
I guess someone with better Mindblasting skills might make it work, but the "no damage"-issue is a big drawback...

bummer... i was just about to try that build. I guess I'll see how I like the kicker then.

I think it's easier to make melee than casters. Casters have a fixed maximum damage because they are limited to the number of skills from items, while melee can count on +dmg jewels, crushing blow and open wounds.

i learned through experience that a fire trapper works, but really needs 2x +5 claws. a light trapper works better while only using spirit/rhyme.

anyone who thinks melee is easier to make hasnt tried to make a good one. melee jewels and charms are a hell-of-a-lot harder to come by than sojs and plain 15 lifers.

You'd probably have no chance at all of obtaining +24 maxers in the SPG, but finding or trading for +12-15 maxers isn't that bad.

Also since there is no rushing, the lack of points in the synergies hurt casters more.

the loss of good jewels (not adequate, good) hurts a melee character more than the loss of eight skill points does a caster. the loss of 20 resists and the stats hurts a caster less too than it would a melee as well.

We might have to meet in the Moor for fisticuffs to settle our differences then. :thumbup:

I was thinking of making a kicker with Blade Talons of Amplify Damage, but that would mean the loss of Strenght or Malice. Do you think triggering amp would be worth it?

PurePremium
Estimated market value
Low
High