just a SP thread

ughhh

Nov 21, 2011
just a SP thread

hey hey everyone

My windy is currently level 78 with 0 mf and I was wondering :

- Are hell ATs at player 1 a good option for his main mfing? (compared to other pits such as the one in the act 1 cold plains and Nightmare cow level)

- Why are pits so talked about? how do they compare to simply clearing normal areas?

Also, found this :
Capture.png

would it be worth it to make a spearzon using this weapon? are they good in hell? (do they do pit runs or mobs?)

Re: just a SP thread

Long story short, you can find any item in the Pits.

http://www.purediablo.com/forums/showthread.php?t=126824

It is a 'Level 85 area.' *Shrug* I don't understand the technicalities of it as much as some, but the basic idea is that there are certain areas in Hell mode that can drop any item in the game, WSK and Pits being among the most popular of them.

As for the spear, I'd say that while it's a nice piece, I wouldn't use it as your sole motivation to go make a Spearzon. I think the Amazon's Valkyrie skill and passives make it so that your build choices are very flexible. Both Lightning Strike and Fend are delicious looking skills. I don't have experience with endgame Spearzons, but I'd think survivability is a big consideration, since you have to get up close and personal.

thanks for the links, exactly what I was looking for!

-If I get what the level 85 info is about, /players would greatly benefit mf since it gives more chances that monsters will drop magic items which can be any super unique in the game??

also, just found this cutie while doing AT/Pit level 1 and 2 runs, seems like a decent merc weapon!
Capture-1.png

Don't quote me on this, but I believe /players affects the number of loot rolls you get.
I am certain that it doesn't affect the quality of items you are capable of getting.

Nice find in the Arioc's Needle. I would definitely Shael it or Amn it and slap it on a merc before I build up a good runeword for him.

Everything you need to know about magic finding can be found here:

http://www.purediablo.com/forums/showthread.php?t=412453

Btw. I am not sure if you mean "pits" or "Pits" :scratchchin:. Usually magic finding takes place in the Pits found in Tamoe Highland on hell difficulty (waypoint either from Outer Cloister or Black Marsh), that's lvl85 area. Other "pits" you mentioned like nightmare cow level has lower alvl and you definitely can't find every item in the game there

-If I get what the level 85 info is about, /players would greatly benefit mf since it gives more chances that monsters will drop magic items which can be any super unique in the game??

As Bz-OwnZ said, increased /p settings doesn't increase drop quality, it increases drop quantity. More items, though, generally trends into more magical+ items seen overall.

When it comes to MF runs, you have to balance /player setting vs. kill speed. If it takes you three minutes to do a /p1 run but a /p7 run takes ten times as long with only four times better drop chances than normal, the slow kill speed actually results in less items dropped. If you can't kill things quickly enough, then the increased drop rate is wasted.

Also, this really only applies to the normal mobs. Generally, the point of alvl85 running is to find and eliminate the champion/unique monsters and ignore most everything else. Only the champions/uniques and their minions are capable of dropping the highest Treasure Class (TC87) items; the normal white-named monsters are capped at TC84, so it's rather pointless to spend the time killing them. Also, unique monsters are GUARANTEED drop magical items or better regardless of the /player setting, which greatly increases the potential quality of their loot. Trash enemies can and often will drop... trash.

THAT'S kind of where the /p settings can come into play. Increasing /player settings will increase the drop odds of normal monsters... and that's it. Uniques/champions will be unaffected in terms of drops. However, since more items drop overall, it DOES increase the chances of finding something decent, including runes.

If you've got a powerhouse character that can smash their way through an alvl85 area on /p8 with impunity, it might be worth it... but generally, if you go on /p1 and focus on unique monsters, you'll do almost as well.

And welcome to the SPF!

Only the champions/uniques and their minions are capable of dropping the highest Treasure Class (TC87) items; the normal white-named monsters are capped at TC84.

Although I find you post helpful and well-written and agree with most what you said, I disagree with above sentence.

I just want to point out that even regular monsters in alvl85 areas can drop unique TC87 items, although with much lower probability (according to Hrus' guide the probability of getting Death Cleaver with 400 MF is around 1:40 000 for boss and 1:1 700 000 for regular monster). The difference in probability is so high that it's really better to focus on bosses/champions.

However, regulars can't drop uqlvl87 and uqlvl86 items (Arachnid Mesh, Azurewrath, Tyrael's Might, Crown of Ages, Mang Song's Lesson, Stormlash, Tomb Reaver; the last two being TC78 and TC81).

At least I think so, I have read the guide long time ago :wink:

Generally, the point of alvl85 running is to find and eliminate the champion/unique monsters and ignore most everything else. Only the champions/uniques and their minions are capable of dropping the highest Treasure Class (TC87) items; the normal white-named monsters are capped at TC84, so it's rather pointless to spend the time killing them.

Very not true.

Normal monsters in lvl 85 areas are most definitely NOT capped at tc84. There is a qlvl cap based on the monster's mlvl that will limit about 8 items from normal mlvl 85 monsters (most of which are not tc87s) but there is no tc limit applied to them. In fact white named minions can drop everything up to and including Tyrael's.

Edit: sure, the statement sits there unchallenged for a hour and then a few seconds before I hit submit, bam, too slow.

Edit2: As for the standard kill normals vs. bosses only, its not that simple. With my favorite pits char, a poisonmancer, it would be silly to run at p1 as he kills everything at p5 just as quick, including every normal in sight. A conc barb on the other hand can tear up the bosses but would lose a lot of speed chasing down even a small percentage of the normal monsters.

So the TL;DR of it is...

Go to Pit (lv1 & 2), Mausoleum, River of Flame & Chaos Sanctum, and WSK/Throne and kill EVERYTHING. Or at least everything in your way.

Hmmm I've never tried running the Pits, but I think I'll give them a go tonight.

does this affect drops from corpses, barrels, caskets...? meaning they can drop any unique in the game?

said otherwise, is it worth it to click on every single urn/barrel?

what about golden chests? :)

Last edited:

I think the zone level does affect the corpses, barrels, caskets, etc.
However, it is only the uniques and super-uniques in the 85 zones that can drop ANY unique in the game.

Correct me if I'm wrong?

Also, I'm sure the data is there in the links if you want to do some reading :p

I think the zone level does affect the corpses, barrels, caskets, etc.
However, it is only the uniques and super-uniques in the 85 zones that can drop ANY unique in the game.

Correct me if I'm wrong?

:p

i think super-uniques in lvl 85 areas have fixed TCs, none of them being at TC87 (e.g Chaos seal bosses), so no they won't drop every unique in the game. only random uniques and champions in level 85 areas.

I think chests drop from much lower TCs than monsters in same area as a general rule, so I don't think they would drop every single unique in the game.

Thanks for the corrections on my post, guys. Regular monsters in alvl85 areas are not capped at TC84, but are instead capped at qlvl85, understood.

However, from a personal standpoint, I still maintain my position that there's more reason to seek out champions/uniques and to ignore white-named trash monsters. I don't run alvl85 areas to find everything EXCEPT those eight items that are qlvl86+... I want to find the rarest of the rare that only the champions/uniques are capable of dropping. It's great to be lucky and find your 19th Steelpillar and your 52nd IKSC from trash mobs, but I'm looking for the elusive Tyrael's.

Going out of your way to hunt down white-named monsters isn't necessarily a complete waste of time, but typically you'll have better results if you focus on champions & uniques (and their minions, which I mentioned). That's all I meant by my previous statements. jjscud's Poisonmancer is a great example of a build that can run on higher /p settings to benefit from the higher drop rate without a major increase in run times, but it's a rare example among the many potential MF builds.

does this affect drops from corpses, barrels, caskets...? meaning they can drop any unique in the game?

said otherwise, is it worth it to click on every single urn/barrel?

what about golden chests? :)

Try to read something before asking :coffee: Quoted from above linked Hrus' guide:

Objects and chests:
It's not important for this guide to describe the whole process of drop mechanics of chests and other objects. Thus, only few notes:
1) Chests and objects have their own group of TCs. They drop much less equipment and more "junk" and "good" - runes, jewelry, gems, gold, potions. Thus, they are not good for real MFing, they will not drop as much armors and weapons, but they can drop more jewelry.
2) MF works with most of the chests. Only super chests (3 chests in LK around the fire, end-chests in Arcane Sanctuary, the central chest behind Mephisto etc.) have fixed magic quality drops. Magic items will drop 95% of time, rare items will drop 5% of time (yes, all items dropped will be rare); MF is not used. Sparkly chests (like the one in the Pit 2) have also high chance to generate fixed magic quality drop, they can generate even unique or set drops.
3) Defining chest TC is different than defining monster TC - their TC isn't upgraded according to alvl.

As for the super-uniques in lvl85 areas, there are not plenty of them and their level does not change as it is in case of "normal" bosses.

In Mausoleum, Pits, AT, Kurast Temples, there are no superuniques.

In Maggot Lair, there is Coldworm the Burrower - max TC84. Hephasto the Armorer in the River of Flame drops to TC84, as well as seal bosses in Chaos Sanctuary.

Baal minions superuniques drop as champions, so the chance of getting unique item is very low compared to alvl85 bosses, but they can drop all unique/set items in the game.

on another topic : how good do you think a5 mercs are compared to a2? coz I found a pretty darn nice 2 hand eth unique sword and taught maybe I could go for a a5 merc..

also, would you rather use skullder's ire (non-eth) or stealth runeword (413 def) on a wind druid?

thoughts?

Last edited:

Skullders unless I was in desperate need of the FCR on Stealth. But I'm going to assume you have that elsewhere. Defense is not really that important unless you have defiance/holy shield/shout/chilling armour etc. and are getting a lot of defense from each slot - or are aiming for a high defence build. In general the +1 skills and MF will help your druid more.

on another topic

Sadly, Blizz made A2 mercs utterly dominate with their auras. Of course A5 mercs can still get the job done, but its nearly impossible for them to be better than a well selected, reasonably geared A2 merc.

PurePremium
Estimated market value
Low
High