Is there any interest in a Classic "Tournament"? <

Re: Is there any interest in a Classic "Tournament"?

Idk if anyone is still doing this in older versions, but in 1.00 and i think a couple after you can kill the cow king and still get in the moo moo farm, which is good because the cow king in those versions always drops a rare, set or unique!

So the rest of A2 went nicely, mostly with ruby + topaz wand and a flawed emerald wand. I found a gem shrine just after I put the topaz and ruby into the wand, so that was a missed opportunity. I now have a flawless topaz waiting for a shrine as well as some other gems accumulating.

Right now I'm thinking about him as a little boat as he's got a green wand in his right hand and red one in his left!

Code:
Version 1.12
Forum name      Character Name    Class         Level     Location
------------------------------------------------------------------------
Purplelocust    Ceto              Static/Orb      72      H Diablo is vanquished
Mursilis        Mirax             Blizzballer     59      H Rogue Encampment
asdfgah         ClassPSNama       psnJav/valk     60      Hell Dark Wood
asdfgah         eggiWEEG          Hammerdin       28      Kurast Bazaar
Purplelocust    Kui               Drummer         22      Kurast Docks
SiTro           of_Spades         Amazon          11      Outer Cloister
Nagisa          Riinfosu          Orb/TS          11      Stony Field
Thyiad          SickTrout         Fishy            7      Cold Plains
EmperorMoo      GudrunII          Amazon           1      Rogue Encampment

Things are slowing down significantly in A3. Even at /players 1, the gemmed wands are really not too effective. I have had more good gem drops and a couple of shrines, so now I've been focusing on getting socketed wands mostly via the chipped recipe and occasionaly the 3 regular gem recipe. Desired:

a) Two sockets
b) No staffmods (they increase the expense for repair)
c) Desirable prefix (pretty much just resist ones are available on wands)
d) Desirable suffix. Meaning one of

A) hit causes monster to flee: for a wand with two perfect emeralds, to let the poison run its course whilst I attack others
B) knockback to calm things down a bit melee-wise
C) ITD: not really needed as the AR from DS is OK but it wouldn't hurt, of course!

(There isn't any point in mana or life leech as 6% of 3-5 damage is really nothing.)

I've gone back to rerun the Arcane and Tower a few times, accumulating chippies, and have a couple of wands that are OK but of course I'm hoping for better before I put my (carefuly constructed and horaded) perfect gems in there.

So it may be some tedious chip-farming until I get OK wands for putting the pgems in. My plan is one with HCMTF and two PEmeralds to be used situationally, and then the main two to be: dual topaz and topaz + sapphire. In A3, there is no rush for a sapphire since there is a supply of cold mercs. When Asheara runs out of cold mercs (she has many time) I either save and exit or try the other ones, but at this point none of them last too long.

On the plus side, since I am TPng to town all the time to keep the merc from
dying (no potions for the merc, although wells help the merc, thankfully) I am picking up armor and things to see and accumulating gold significantly faster than spending it on wand repair.
I've also quested forward in A3 to Travincal. I could use some gear upgrades. Current gear: magic BP with FHR, magic helm with FHR, rare gloves with teeny resists, Gorefoot, rare sash (2 rows, blegh) with FHR and little else, 20% Nagel with good AR, rare ring with 9% FR, 15%CR and 14%MF, and the only rare amulet that dropped the whole game which is junk.

Taunt made the Heirophants (that vexed Ceto so much) absolutely a cakewalk, of course!

Code:
Version 1.12
Purplelocust    Ceto              Static/Orb      72      H Diablo is vanquished
Mursilis        Mirax             Blizzballer     59      H Rogue Encampment
Purplelocust    Kui               Drummer         24      Travincal

I'm fairly certain Mirax when through the entire contingent of rogue survivors as her companions. More than one play session saw her reset the merc list after buying them all up.

Needless to say Act I was quite long. Many, many, many trips back to town were required to regain a companion or restock on mana potions. Mirax has taken to picking up armors that will fetch a good price to be able to afford all these mercenary purchases. A lot of this probably stems from the fact Mirax isn't so quick to teleport away and therefore the rogue keeps getting caught surrounded and therefore suffers a quick death fairly often.

Things started out fairly well. Mirax mainly uses Blizzard to wipe out all the fallen packs running around as their FI. This is of course where frustration sets in as well from time to time as a few shaman have taken me up to 12 blizzard casts to eliminate, and their resurrecting their minions all the while. Really should use Glacial Spike more often.

Still, should have know later in the act would have been tougher as the first boss encountered was a CI/FI one that was also magically resistant, so purplelocust's Telekinesis trick wouldn't work. Turns out the same was true for the Countess. She's always CI/FI but she was also cursed and lightning enchanced (and I think extra strong but not positive on that one). As a result couldn't get her in a position where telekinesis was useful and the merc was useless in that fight. As a result had to skip the countess for now, may go back later assuming I make it that far.

The Smith also gave Mirax a fright being cursed, extra fast and extra strong. Turns out Mirax could survive a single hit by him. Found this out when she got cornered in between two benches (another fallen getting in the way) and couldn't figure out which hotkey was teleport in time.

After that things were much calmer, no more CI/FI bosses beyond a fallen I could easily bypass in the Catacombs. Andariel didn't actually put up much of a fight. Killed off the merc but beyond that didn't pose Mirax any personal threat. Didn't drop anything useful unfortunately.

Now I'm trying to decide what to do with my three imbue quests. I'm considering either a staff to replace the +2 sorc skill one in use currently or a pair of boots to replace the fairly bad triple resist ones Mirax is wearing right now.

Code:
Version 1.12
Mursilis        Mirax             Blizzballer     62      H Lut Gholein
Purplelocust    Kui               Drummer         24      Travincal

Well done Mursilis! I've also had many times where the merc supplier had to get reinforcements! I'm not sure the most number of times I've killed a particular named merc in one game, but it's at least 2 an perhaps 3. Be thankful that in 1.11 they introduced the merc replenishment feature to Classic- it used to be that if you killed them all, there were no more mercs available! Merc perservation (teleport and TP to town to heal them) is an important skill for frugal play.

On the imbues, I would vote against boots as you can gamble them if you have a good income stream. If you are set on a staff then that may be a good plan, as there is I believe a bonus making staffmods more likely on imbues than on ordinary rare staves. But since you can shop +2 sorc staves, there are other options there and the 3 imbues may just give junk. Of course, most imbues are junk anyway!

For Kui, Mephisto is dead! That wasn't too bad and I've "run" him a few times, with one wonderful drop-Twitchthroe. Not from Meph, but from Wyand. The only reason I killed him instead of just running by and leaping across the peninsula was because I'd run across an experience shrine. I knew the shrine wouldn't last nearly long enough to kill Meph, so I worked through Durrance 3. I've had a few "death by experience shrine" experiences so I was careful but working quickly and lo and behold, Twitch dropped! That was just as I was considering investing the strength to use the Berserker's Hauberk, particularly if I could get the helm to drop from Meph. But Twitch is great for FHR and 20% IAS and big strength. The IAS moves the double swing from 6.5 fpa (no IAS) to 5.5 and should be a big help in A4. I have been using a double PEmerald with HCMTF, which works fine slowly, but with more speed I think I'll want to go with pure elemental damage from PGems. The HCMTF with Taunt works great with the poison damage, as the monsters yoyo back and forth while they are poisoned.

I've continued cubing wands and noticed this money-making opportunity for gems using the cube. I still need to build up perfect gems to go into my wands but there has been pretty good gem shrine luck so I'm doing OK there.

Code:
Version 1.12
Purplelocust    Kui               Drummer         25      Pandemonium Fortress
[/QUOTE]

I am still playing SickTrout. He has moved on since level 7. Not far I grant you; computers-go-boom didn't really help.

I'll do an update after the MFO but excuse my silence.

Count Kui has defeated Diablo!

After running Meph a few times I and not getting more useful gear I moved on to Act 4. The beginning was fine, with no gloams in the Plains of Despair. Izual took a long time and kept me on my toes as the frost nova hit pretty hard, even with 85 cold resist.

The bad news about A4 in Classic is that you can't have a merc. The good news is that you don't have to worry about losing the merc when you go back to earlier acts to surf for shrines. I found 2 gem shrines and made some good use of experience shrines. I looked forward to doing the Forge- I usually don't bother in Classic with the forge, but since gems play such a huge role in Kui's damage, I wanted to make the most of it. I've had great luck with topazes but I really wanted a source of cold damage for A4 since I couldn't use the A3 cold mercs who had been helpful. After laboring to the forge, I got one of the worst forge drops possible for Kui- all amythests and skulls! No ruby, no sapphire, ugh!

One annoying thing is the very short length of the BO. Well less than a minute at this stage so it was constantly wearing off.

In the Chaos Sanctuary, I bravely did the (usually) unthinkable- went swinging right at monsters while IM'd in HC. And lived to tell the tale! It helps that the wands are doing 3-7 damage but still the first time I did it, I tensed up some. No problem there! No measurable effect on the life bulb, even. And then I was happy to be cursed by IM- it was way less trouble than being hit with Lower Resist, Amp or Decrepify.

The CS went pretty well, and I levelled from 25 to 26 right before De Seis. My Howl wasn't enough (not high enough level) but the HCMTF on the poison wand was very effective. This was basically meant as an initial foray, with the idea that if I had difficulty I would go back and level up/improve gear.

Well, the CS went smoothly, with TP-and-walk-back-and-Taunt the Infector's minions working well (although I really missed having some cold damage there for slowing.) That left the big problem of lightning resists versus Diablo. Even though I'd rolled at least 100 wands, I had yet to get one with 2-sockets, no staffmods and the Amber prefix, so lightning resists were at a terrible 23.

No problem, I would just find a lightning resist shrine kind of near a waypoint to solve that problem. Well, after 45 minutes of searching the entire game, I found no lightning resist shrine anywhere. So my choices were restart the game or have a go at Diablo with the low resists. I decided to go for it, with a decent supply of fat purples.

Diablo's lightning hose was scary and many purples were used during the battle, fat and thin. The hose is somewhat avoidable by sidestepping but I still caught some pretty strong blasts. The good thing is that it doesn't hit all at once, so you can get a purple down before you are dead.

Against Diablo, the chance to hit was a pathetic 52% (via LCS) and it felt even worse. But with patience, a lot of visits to skill and combat shrines throughout the game, lots of potions, repairs, and general running away before things got terrible, eventually Diabo died.

I don't think I'll carry on with Kui but I am very happy with this Count!

Code:
Version 1.12
Purplelocust    Kui               Drummer         26      NM Rogue Camp

Thanks Mursilis! I would say maybe 20 purples used and lots of reds. Anticipating the hose cut down on the number of times I got blasted. On the IM front, I've had plenty of Zealots (like my Digglerdin) who had a low-physical damage weapon (wand or dagger) for visiting areas with OKs, and I've done it many times in SC. But still, it was a little weird even knowing that it would be no problem, just because it was HC and I'd put a lot of time into Kui!

Another new entry:

Halimede the passive amazon

Her restrictions:

skill points in the passive/magic tree only

(she can use javelins and bows just no skills for them. So at least she doesn't have to sell her javelins straight away.)

Code:
Version 1.12
Purplelocust    Halimede          passivezon       8      Cold Plains

Hallimede is doing OK, but no good finds. I ran Coldcrow repeatedly, just like with Kui, in hopes of finding some useful gear. For example, a Gull would be wonderful. Last time it didn't work, and this neither. (Ah, my beloved Coldcrow, how you have disappointed me!) She ran Treehead and Tristram and is doing OK with a gemmed dagger but she doesn't have much direction yet.

Code:
Version 1.12
Purplelocust    Halimede          passivezon      15      Dark Wood

Hallimede is chugging along. I hoped again for good gear from Bone Ash but no luck running him. I found a good rare club and tried using that, to see if the slow block rate for Amazons with a non-dagger/non-javelin was really that bad. It is. It wasn't NDE bad but with a dangerous pack it would be deadly. I had some idea of maybe making a Civerbazon or Clegazon but there is no way with the block rates. I'll have to go dagger or maybe two-hander, I think, depending upon what drops. My hopes for getting a Gull to drop now pretty much rest on Andy but those hopes are very slim, of course.

Code:
Version 1.12
Purplelocust    Halimede          passivezon      18      Inner Cloister

Hallimede is doing OK but this is pretty slow going. Inner Sight is useful but she is a slow killer and the mercs don't last long, even with careful babysitting and TPing back to town, which is the only way to heal them (besides shrines.) Andarial hasn't dropped any good gear yet but I'll give her another 20 chances or so- after I get a cube in A2 to make some better gemmed daggers.

Code:
Version 1.12
Purplelocust    Halimede          passivezon      18      Lut Golein

Hallimede is doing OK but this is pretty slow going. Inner Sight is useful but she is a slow killer and the mercs don't last long, even with careful babysitting and TPing back to town, which is the only way to heal them (besides shrines.) Andarial hasn't dropped any good gear yet but I'll give her another 20 chances or so- after I get a cube in A2 to make some better gemmed daggers.

Code:
Version 1.12
Purplelocust    Halimede          passivezon      18      Lut Golein

Nice to see your still rocking classic. Tried to find my thread In which I took a Barb, sorc and Necro past Diablo hell classic. Seems to have gone :(

I found this thread http://www.purediablo.com/forums/showthread.php?t=530458 about your Queen, and this thread http://www.purediablo.com/forums/showthread.php?t=521889 about your efforts for a barb and sorcs. (Try going to your own profile, looking under statistics, and then find threads started by you- that's a reasonable way to search.)

How about starting a character for this tourney? Interest seems to have waned, and there are a lot of distractions at the moment...

@Mursilis: I hope your move goes smoothly! It's easy to underestimate how much trouble moving can be...

Some wonderful turns of fortune for Hallimede: Angelic ring! Another Angelic ring! Angelic amulet! An a bunch of Cathan's as well, of course. The Arcane sanctuary has been very generous. I've been using dual Nagels (29 and 30 are the best) from Andy and dual topaz'd helm. Once the Angelic armor drops she'll be in great shape MF-wise, so hopefully it will drop at some point. Even without the armor, the partial set is quite nice at this point. She also got a Jade Tan Do which is much better than her previous dagger. A Diggler dropped as well, although I've already had a Diggler-based character so I don't foresee much Diggling for her future. She found Snakecord as well but it seems to reduce her poison damage when using the Jade Tan Do.

Code:
Version 1.12
Purplelocust    Halimede          passivezon      23      Canyon

Wow, I'd forgotten all about this tournament, doubly embarrassing given that I should be hosting it...

*blushes*

Congrats to purplelocust for his (is it King? or Baron?).

GudrunII got deleted during a period I removed D2 from my computers, but I may start GudrunIII in the near future.

Congrats to purplelocust for her Queen.

Thanks!

Hallimede is plodding away. At least 2 mercs died for each letter of D-U-R-I-E-L, and she is now into A3 at level 24. Decoy is nice but I'm looking forward to Valkyrie, hopefully before facing Meph.

Code:
Version 1.12
Purplelocust    Halimede          passivezon      24      Kurast Docks

Im still a bit offline here (on vacation), but bad weather put too much time on my hands.

Progress.

Cant wait till lvl 30, becouse concentrate with slow 2h maul is THE BORINGEST skill ever.

Code:
Version 1.12
Skiff           wharrgarbl        Babral          28      NM Rogue Camp
Purplelocust    Halimede          passivezon      24      Kurast Docks

PurePremium
Estimated market value